Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Underrail: Heavy Duty DLC announced, releasing on November 1st

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Underrail has style, you even have RPGs that are copying it like Space Wreck

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Damn it... I wanted to play underrail again but as a psychic.

Any good builds for a psychic grenade launcher guy? Basically, I want high enough stats to access all the story expositions from the special rocks, although... does this new base have some story expositions and are they locked behing a different sort of stat?

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron

Any good builds for a psychic grenade launcher guy? Basically, I want high enough stats to access all the story expositions from the special rocks, although... does this new base have some story expositions and are they locked behing a different sort of stat?
go without stats, blow nades at your feet

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik

If you want to play psionics, 1) go pure psionics, and 2) go legacy branch (before the psionics nerf - it's available via Steam game options)

Pure psi might be the most powerful build in UnderRail, but it almost certainly is the build that will allow you to see the most that the game has to offer.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

If you want to play psionics, 1) go pure psionics, and 2) go legacy branch (before the psionics nerf - it's available via Steam game options)

Pure psi might be the most powerful build in UnderRail, but it almost certainly is the build that will allow you to see the most that the game has to offer.
But I want to use the new gear. Grenade launchers seem cool.

ciox

Liturgist
There is nothing stopping you from making a psi+guns character. I would lean into the Guns with a high Perception and leave Psi as a backup utility thing. Other way around wouldn't work nearly as well, the guns wouldn't hit anything.
It could be the case that grenade launchers are a special case where they function well even with low Perception, but I wouldn't bet on it.

I need to play Underrail, finally. But it keeps railing me, as I'm not into the mood of theory crafting and screwing up my build. Need to find a current guide then I guess.

Sunri

Liturgist
I need to play Underrail, finally. But it keeps railing me, as I'm not into the mood of theory crafting and screwing up my build. Need to find a current guide then I guess.
it's impossible to complete the game with a shitty build?

jackofshadows

Magister
it's impossible to complete the game with a shitty build?
It's possible, was proved among other things by a codexer who beat it on the highest difficulty with a fucking crowbar as a weapon. Sure he knows the game as the back of his hand but the point is all this quote unquote build is everything regarding UR is false or at the very least overrated statement. If you're experienced with RPGs/dungeon crawlers you WILL beat the game on normal, it's practically guaranteed. At worst, you'll restart 1-2 times very early on when you still learn the ropes yourself and/or reach the infamous Depot A (which imo is really hard only for those who haven't seen much or any RPGs in their life). Again, if you have any experience with this sort of games, the hardest quests would be the very early ones. And no, you won't even need a build planner - that's rather for replays/playing on dominating.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
At worst, you'll restart 1-2 times very early on when you still learn the ropes yourself and/or reach the infamous Depot A (which imo is really hard only for those who haven't seen much or any RPGs in their life).
In other words, lousy builds can brickwall your progress and make you start over.

It's not necessarily a case of "it's totally impossible to beat the game with a subpar build." Most people just won't want to. Why bang your bare head against a wall over and over again if you can go back and get a pillow to attach?

jackofshadows

Magister
It's not necessarily a case of "it's totally impossible to beat the game with a subpar build." Most people just won't want to. Why bang your bare head against a wall over and over again if you can go back and get a pillow to attach?
I agree but the point was if the case = "I kinda want to play but dont wanna bother with build planner let alone guides in order to start a damn game" then the simple advice would be "just play then and you will be fine". People have to separate "notorious" fame of the game thanks to clueless players, some codexers included - there was a thread somewhere not long ago, from the fact that UR isn't THAT hardcore as some paint it.

Like, you can "brick" yor char in Fallout too, in a sense that experience will be painful even if drudging through the game will be possible. But that doesn't make it a hardcore game. I'd say, the very word in UR store description sorta misleading because it's adressed rather to a random viewer, not an RPG enthusiast. As if saying "walk away, fag".

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I agree but the point was if the case = "I kinda want to play but dont wanna bother with build planner let alone guides in order to start a damn game" then the simple advice would be "just play then and you will be fine". People have to separate "notorious" fame of the game thanks to clueless players, some codexers included - there was a thread somewhere not long ago, from the fact that UR isn't THAT hardcore as some paint it.

Like, you can "brick" yor char in Fallout too, in a sense that experience will be painful even if drudging through the game will be possible. But that doesn't make it a hardcore game. I'd say, the very word in UR store description sorta misleading because it's adressed rather to a random viewer, not an RPG enthusiast. As if saying "walk away, fag".
Underrail is significantly more demanding than Fallout though, it's up there with the most difficult RPGs I've played and this was with a decent planned build. :M

thesecret1

Arcane
Underrail on normal difficulty is perfectly beatable

Underrail is significantly more demanding than Fallout though, it's up there with the most difficult RPGs I've played and this was with a decent planned build. :M
Normal difficulty isn't that hard – doable with even poorer builds so long as you have some common sense. Dominating is pretty punishing, but even then mostly in the early game – once you get past Depot A and the game opens up, you get a lot of places where you can go to get more powerful without undergoing undue danger, and then it's smooth sailing from there. And Depot A itself is easy to cheese (in fact, I'd say you have to cheese it on DOMINATING, though I'm sure I'll be proven wrong by some diehard Underheads here).

I think the "difficulty" meme mostly stems from the game asking you to think. You can't just forget consumables exist like in most RPGs – they are a core part of combat, likely to come up each fight. Similarly, preparing the battlefield with traps or affecting it during combat with gas grenades and molotovs is necessary for many builds.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Normal difficulty isn't that hard – doable with even poorer builds so long as you have some common sense. Dominating is pretty punishing, but even then mostly in the early game – once you get past Depot A and the game opens up, you get a lot of places where you can go to get more powerful without undergoing undue danger, and then it's smooth sailing from there. And Depot A itself is easy to cheese (in fact, I'd say you have to cheese it on DOMINATING, though I'm sure I'll be proven wrong by some diehard Underheads here).

I think the "difficulty" meme mostly stems from the game asking you to think. You can't just forget consumables exist like in most RPGs – they are a core part of combat, likely to come up each fight. Similarly, preparing the battlefield with traps or affecting it during combat with gas grenades and molotovs is necessary for many builds.
This depends on your own level of skill and understanding.

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/pc/697127-underrail/stats
Easy - 2.94%
Just Right - 17.65%
Tough - 61.76%
Unforgiving - 17.65%

You are part of the 21%.

thesecret1

Arcane

This depends on your own level of skill and understanding.

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/pc/697127-underrail/stats
Easy - 2.94%
Just Right - 17.65%
Tough - 61.76%
Unforgiving - 17.65%

You are part of the 21%.
You do realize that statistic is based on the ratings of just 34 people, right? ;)

thesecret1

Arcane
Still, I do actually agree with it. "Tough" is pretty apt. I was mostly talking about it not really being some insane difficulty ultra hardcore prepare to die kind of game where you'd need to be an RPG pro just to beat it on normal, like the game is sometimes protrayed

ciox

Liturgist
The game has also changed since the old days, and more changes were made every couple years. I would say it's noticeably easier now.

Bullet pistols, energy pistols, chemical pistols, sniper rifles and all unique guns were buffed, making it so you can get by even if you're not making the perfect crafting burst build you got off the internet.
Riot Gear and riot shields were buffed.
Psi was nerfed but only after Temporal Distortion was added to the game, so yeah.
Random stuff like your energy shield no longer wastes energy in Arena during intro speech.
Being able to save unused AP should help you more than the enemy, if you are doing things right.
Depot A was nerfed.
Enemy spawns were made lighter on Easy and Normal, with critters like this showing up https://www.stygiansoftware.com/wiki/index.php?title=Young_Azuridae

Of course, there is also some Death Stalker and Greater Coil Spider spam now that can be hard to deal with, at least you have the option to avoid them until later in the game. If you try to face them at low level you are certainly fucked without the right build.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
Hard to image this game without a map. And without animation speed options. That would have annoyed me too.

Jacov

Educated
The majority of encounters can be bruteforced even with shitty builds.
You need to be completely clueless in RPGs to really brick your progress.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom