Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tyranny Pre-Release Thread

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Do we know what genre this new RPG is supposed to be?

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
0:54.. Is her alive and trying to escape her head?

The show is running on AssCreed: Unity engine.

o5NRvt6.jpg

Azarkon

Arcane
Nice. Instead of getting a deal and creating something great like New Vegas 2 or Bloodlines 2, they're going to flounder around with more fantasy shit. Guess I'll check in with Obsidian again 4 years from now.

Sawyer, Pattel, and Fenstermaker lead writers on a New Vegas/Bloodlines game? I have trouble seeing that, even though Fenstermarker did work on New Vegas.

To do these sorts of storyfag games, they'd have to hire new writers, and they'd have to be of the quality of the ones they lost ie Avellone, Mitsoda, Ziets, and Gonzalez.

Look for Obsidian's recruitment to see what sort of game Stormlands is going to be. Personally, I have a hard time seeing any storyfag games from them in the next few years, as they obviously aren't able to retain top-class writers.

In fact, it's fucking sad to read this list: Avellone, Mitsoda, Ziets, and Gonzalez. Just imagine what they could've been with this writing team.

Obsidian: where top video game writers go only to quit in a year.

Theldaran

Liturgist
With Paradox having bought World of Darkness rights and whatnot, a new Vampire game is bound to happen eventually, and that's all I need to know.

Now imagine for a second what a Werewolf game would be like. Even though original Werewolf stuff dealt with end-of-millenium worries (Vampire also did, in a way), the Wyrm and hippy care for nature are themes still today, even lending itself to a SJW theme, so two birds with a stone.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
Nice. Instead of getting a deal and creating something great like New Vegas 2 or Bloodlines 2, they're going to flounder around with more fantasy shit. Guess I'll check in with Obsidian again 4 years from now.

Sawyer, Pattel, and Fenstermaker lead writers on a New Vegas/Bloodlines game? I have trouble seeing that, even though Fenstermarker did work on New Vegas.

To do these sorts of storyfag games, they'd have to hire new writers, and they'd have to be of the quality of the ones they lost ie Avellone, Mitsoda, Ziets, and Gonzalez.

Look for Obsidian's recruitment to see what sort of game Stormlands is going to be. Personally, I have a hard time seeing any storyfag games from them in the next few years, as they obviously aren't able to retain top-class writers.

In fact, it's fucking sad to read this list: Avellone, Mitsoda, Ziets, and Gonzalez. Just imagine what they could've been with this writing team.

They lost Gonzalez? That explains why PoE was so bad. Honestly, from my understanding of who did what, G wrote the best characters in NV.

Azarkon

Arcane

They lost Gonzalez? That explains why PoE was so bad. Honestly, from my understanding of who did what, G wrote the best characters in NV.

Yeah, they did: https://www.linkedin.com/in/johnrgonzalez

I just don't understand how they could lose four top tier writers in the space of a few years, which any other company would be fortunate to just have one.

Chris Avellone - we all know what he did
Brian Mitsoda - lead writer on Vampire: Bloodlines
George Ziets - lead writer on MoTB
John Gonzalez - lead writer on New Vegas

Except for Mitsoda, who left before Alpha Protocol was finished, all of the other writers were responsible for Obsidian's best written games.

Last edited:

Fairfax

Arcane

Yeah, they did: https://www.linkedin.com/in/johnrgonzalez

I just don't understand how they could lose four top tier writers in the space of a few years, which any other company would be fortunate to just have one.
There's no mystery, really, and even Feargus has acknowledged his fault in it. He didn't address it specifically, but he said he takes blame for every cancelled project, tries to think what they could've done better to sell it to execs, etc.
I do get what you mean, though. Obsidian was in its prime right after FNV. It's amazing how they lost so much talent, and it's sad that they're in a similar position now. If AW fails and Vermont is cancelled, they'll have to take desperate measures all over again.

I like Obsidian as much as the next person, but I just can't understand how they almost went bankrupt, downsided its personnel to ~79 people back in 2012, and then almost tripled that number in 3 years with 2 games released since 2011, one of which doesn't bring them any money (SP).

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
I don't think studios like to keep writers on full time.

There's probably long periods where they're being paid while they're not needed for a game, and there seems to be a negative relationship between AAA success and the quality and influence of writing in a game.

Fairfax

Arcane
I don't think studios like to keep writers on full time.

There's probably long periods where they're being paid while they're not needed for a game, and there seems to be a negative relationship between AAA success and the quality and influence of writing in a game.
It depends on the genre. Most RPG studios keep a very large writing staff all the time, and they have to keep working to the very end, because editing, cuts and changes are being made everyday from pre-production to release. What you're saying applies mostly to artists, really. They're constantly leaving and joining studios/projects, to the point where a considerable number of them have been going freelance for long periods. Obsidian used to have/still has? artists from the Black Isle era, which is remarkable.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Duraframe300

Arcane
Azarkon

Gonzalez was only on during F:NV and DSIII and Mitsoda never really worked on a single game (that was released)

Also I would strongly argue F:NV's main story was its strongest part (In fact some of the strongest quests in the game can be attributed to Fenstermaker). The survivalist was gonzalet strongest work.

Also have a look at Gonzalez other work.

Last edited:

Duraframe300

Arcane
I like Obsidian as much as the next person, but I just can't understand how they almost went bankrupt, downsided its personnel to ~79 people back in 2012, and then almost tripled that number in 3 years with 2 games released since 2011, one of which doesn't bring them any money (SP).

Contracts pay. Not released games.

And they do seem to have had a few.

Fairfax

Arcane

Yes, but by using all that money to expand instead of adding to cash reserves, they're vulnerable to another 2012 situation. Anyway, I hope it doesn't happen, but they're taking huge risks again.

Duraframe300

Arcane

Yes, but by using all that money to expand instead of adding to cash reserves, they're vulnerable to another 2012 situation. Anyway, I hope it doesn't happen, but they're taking huge risks again.
Ehh, they can't really have thhat much cash reserves anyway, due to how development works they have a huge burnrate regardless. And if you want to stay a certain size you need to invest regardless.

You're right though. But the main damage would happen to the people they hired for Armored Warfare. Which is the cause of the current bloat. Whats most likely IS going to happen is gradually downsizing of that team.

Trashos

Arcane
Final Score: Dangerous.

Guess I wasn't very happy with my non-evil options.

Rev

Arcane
Paradox published PoE, but the questions of the test make me think of a new Vampire: The Masquerade game. And with Obsidian involved we may finally get a worthy successor to Bloodlines.
Definetely interested.

Edit: shit, I've read on the Obsidian forums that it's not WoD related, apparently. Is this the new Stormlands then?

Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane
Paradox published PoE, but the questions of the test make me think of a new Vampire: The Masquerade game. And with Obsidian involved we may finally get a worthy successor to Bloodlines.
Definetely interested.

Edit: shit, I've read on the Obsidian forums that it's not WoD related, apparently. Is this the new Stormlands then?

YES YES YES YES YES.
Now i understand why they got license and why they announced plans to go public.
They want money for big budget bloodlines 2

edit:

expecting kickstarter + obsidian money + paradox money

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom