Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tyranny Pre-Release Thread

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
What's this thing people are saying the new Obsidian rpg will be an xbone exclusive? They apparently got it from some french mag.

It was an exclusive, it was going to be a launch title funded/published by Microsoft. It's not anymore.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Stormlands sounds like fantasy? First thing that came to my mind when I read that name is "Borderlands".

For some reason I thought of World War 1 and 2, trenches and air bombed cities.

A civilian perspective WW 2 RPG could be interesting. Not that it will happen, though.

Sannom

Augur
What's this thing people are saying the new Obsidian rpg will be an xbone exclusive? They apparently got it from some french mag.
You mean recently or years ago? And which french mag? Canard PC?

Athelas

Arcane
Obsidian have locked their own faith: constantly producing derivative works based on already established and hugely popular successes of others.
For fucks sake guys, that was acceptable when the "evul publishurs" were running the show, but it this day and age it is downright cowardly and pathetic.
What are you talking about? Stormlands, Armored Warfare and Pillars of Eternity are all original properties.

Be careful what you wish for!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

CyberWhale

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
What are you talking about? Stormlands, Armored Warfare and Pillars of Eternity are all original properties.

Be careful what you wish for!

Original IP =! Original Settings/Creations

Armored Warfare = World of Tanks
Pillars of Eternity = Baldur's Gate
Stormlands = Skyrim (or at least it sounds something like it)

Unfortunately, mainstream journalists and gamers alike seem to not understand something so basic and trivial, guess that's the reason why we have so many generic (and unfortunately inferior than the originals they are coping) games (both in gameplay terms and their worlds) set in new IP's.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Josh Sawyer seems to be of the opinion that this project can't be described as a "retooling" of Stormlands: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3706905&pagenumber=666#post452862202

Josh Sawyer said:
The "Stormlands" (? that's a Game of Thrones continent) game that Microsoft cancelled was retooled and sold to another AAA publisher sometime after PoE took off.

The game/IP we worked on with Microsoft was never retooled and/or sold to anyone.

Athelas

Arcane

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Bwahaha, this will be hilarious. Remember when all Obsidian fantards were foaming at the mouth and fapping when it was revealed that Obsidian will reveal a new game because OMFG OBSIDIAN AND AVELLONE WRITAN DIALOUG and then they revealed World Of Tanks?

This will be even better.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Bwahaha, this will be hilarious. Remember when all Obsidian fantards were foaming at the mouth and fapping when it was revealed that Obsidian will reveal a new game because OMFG OBSIDIAN AND AVELLONE WRITAN DIALOUG and then they revealed World Of Tanks?

Did that happen? I think the Armored Warfare announcement was sort of out of the blue, with no build-up. Something like that did happen with the Lords of the Eastern Reach card game, though.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
I remember it did yes. It was some "leak" that they're working on a new game and they'll announce it soon and everybody was "WOAH ITS GONNA BE ARCANUM 4 NWN 5 FALLOUT NEW ORLEANS!!!!!" :lol:

Theldaran

Liturgist
Losing faith on Obsidian here as time goes by, but a PoE-esque (I'm talking about the looks and not the writing or system) WoD game would be something to behold.

Baron

Arcane
Firefly-007.jpg

Obsidian are the Firefly of game devs.

Jayne: "Oh so, we're making Go tsao de tank sims now?!"
Mal: "Still flyin', ain't we?"

Hanging onto their RPG leanings after a brutal war that they lost. I can't begrudge them for taking the occasional dodgy job to get by. If only they had a Morena Baccarin...

firefly_cast_by_kakashisensei24-d3ggnfp.jpg

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
They also lack the guest-starring Christina Hendricks, unless we count Chris Avellone to be filling in that role.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space

I remember it did yes. It was some "leak" that they're working on a new game and they'll announce it soon and everybody was "WOAH ITS GONNA BE ARCANUM 4 NWN 5 FALLOUT NEW ORLEANS!!!!!" :lol:

Or when Obsidian teased a "HUGE ANNOUNCEMENT INCOMING" and it was a fucking card game by some other company.

:hahyou:

WhiteGuts

Arcane
What if it's actually a Bloodlines sequel they were preparing with Paradox for a year now and were just waiting for the officialization of the WW deal to announce it ?
I-want-to-believe-X-Files-UFO.jpg

nikolokolus

Arcane
I'm not excited after the way PoE turned out, but who the hell am I kidding? I'm going to buy this fucking game aren't I?

Nines

Learned
What if it's actually a Bloodlines sequel they were preparing with Paradox for a year now and were just waiting for the officialization of the WW deal to announce it ?
If Paradox will ever approach them (c'mon, of course they will), they definitely shouldn't turn away from such offer.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Or when Obsidian teased a "HUGE ANNOUNCEMENT INCOMING" and it was a fucking card game by some other company.

:hahyou:
Or when they said they have another RPG KS planned in next few months and those few months never came.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom