Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Turn-based DS steampunk game whaaaaaaaat?

scient

Augur
Annie Carlson said:
Fuck, now that I think about it - leaving out FF airships and the much-beloved Arcanum, does any OTHER game using steampunk come to mind? Seems like that's one of those cult-favorite settings that are tough as balls to sell to publishers.

Not RPG's but there are the Thief series which is kind of steampunk and Rise of Legends RTS (screenshot below).

jfizwrupog.jpg

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
scient said:
Not RPG's but there are the Thief series which is kind of steampunk

kind of? The Thief series is heavily steampunkish, especially Thief2

Lurkar

Scholar
Annie Carlson said:
1eyedking said:
Lurkar - I am eager to hear more of this Last Exile that is spoken of. And Steamboy was indeed ehhh. Like - started good, interesting idea, then it ran about sort of randomly and exhausted my interest

Well, like I said, it's pacing is fairly eh, and the characters and plot could use some work. That said, the visuals - both graphically and style-wise - are really good, the setting is pretty nice and imaginative, and the music is amazing. I'd overall recommend it.

scient

Augur
Darth Roxor said:
scient said:

It's been a long time since I've played them. I'll have to dig them out and see if there are any mods/updates. I can remember really cool mission with costume party, think that was Thief 2.

scient said:
Darth Roxor said:
scient said:

It's been a long time since I've played them. I'll have to dig them out and see if there are any mods/updates. I can remember really cool mission with costume party, think that was Thief 2.

"Life of the Party", THE BEST THIEF MISSION EVAR!!!

MisterStone

Arcane
What's wrong with you guys? Steamboy wasn't eeeeeh, it was horrible, utterly horrible in every possible way. I am not a blanket Japan-hater, but practically everything bad that could be said about Japanese Manga/animation is epitomized in that film.

BTW, is rise of legends any good?

Chefe

Erudite
The DS seems to have a lot of good going for it these days. It almost makes me wish I hadn't of picked up the PSP. But then again, the whole touch screen thing is why I could never get into it. Is it different with RPGs? Does Nintendo still require touch screen gimmicks with them?

MisterStone said:

Ever played Rise of Nations? If you thought that game needed less fun, should have been more like a generic RTS, and could have used a convoluted and uninspired steam-punk look, then you'll enjoy ROL.

Lurkar

Scholar
MisterStone said:
What's wrong with you guys? Steamboy wasn't eeeeeh, it was horrible, utterly horrible in every possible way. I am not a blanket Japan-hater, but practically everything bad that could be said about Japanese Manga/animation is epitomized in that film.

I agree that Steamboy was trash. I just tend to be more on the mellow side then just calling something utterly, utterly horrible.

To put it in a more basic way, I get excited about stuff I like. If I dislike it, I usually just stick with calling it "Eh."

Zeus

Cipher
Chefe said:
The DS seems to have a lot of good going for it these days. It almost makes me wish I hadn't of picked up the PSP. But then again, the whole touch screen thing is why I could never get into it. Is it different with RPGs? Does Nintendo still require touch screen gimmicks with them?

DS owns RPGS. Or maybe it pwns them. I can never keep up.

Anyway, it's got more RPGs coming out than anything else right now. And no, Nintendo doesn't require touch screen gimmicks. It depends on the game. Mario 64 DS has both. You can control FF3 DS using only the buttons, just like anything else, and Age of Empires: Age of Kings DS, which is a turn-based strategy game, has touch screen support, but lets you control everything through buttons. I assume it's the same story for other games, unless they have some sort "Draw the magic symbol" magic system, or a minigame or two.

I just keep the stylus docked.

POOPERSCOOPER

Prophet
DS has all JRPGs which I kind of grew out of awhile ago. It would be pretty cool if they made more American games on it. An Western RPG would be cool perhaps if it was fucking sonic god.

Zeus

Cipher
POOPERSCOOPER said:
DS has all JRPGs which I kind of grew out of awhile ago. It would be pretty cool if they made more American games on it. An Western RPG would be cool perhaps if it was fucking sonic god.

Etrian Odyssey games are American RPGs with a Japanese coat of paint. Look past the over-sized ocular cavities and realize it's closer to Wizardry game than anything an American company has pumped out in five or ten years. Maze of Fate is also coming to DS, and then there's Dark Spire -- that game doesn't even look Japanese.

Don't get me wrong, there's more to life than Dungeon Hacks. It'd be nice if someone could squeeze a Darklands or two onto a DS cart. But until then, it's still a pretty cool system for obscure genres like graphic adventure games and oldschool first-person RPGs, which other consoles -- and even mainstream PC publishers -- have forgotten about.

Ghoulem

Erudite
1eyedking said:
Well at least it looks like YOU don't belong here; since when did we care about jRPGs? Since when did we care for consoles, for that matter? Try the Final Fantasy forums, dumbass, they'll even compliment your attention-whoring.
And please, please stop with the lame remarks.
Shut the fuck up, already. You got a bad case of the hybris. We get it.

Alex

Arcane
1eyedking said:
Annie Carlson said:
I'm terribly sorry, 1eyed, I didn't realized you OWNED the Codex. Would it be better if I began to call people robot Nazi fanboy homogays? I'd rather not, to be frank, because well - it's been done, right?

So it's not your cup of tea. I get it. Thank you for entering your opinion. It has been filed in the Master Computer.
Well at least it looks like YOU don't belong here; since when did we care about jRPGs? Since when did we care for consoles, for that matter? Try the Final Fantasy forums, dumbass, they'll even compliment your attention-whoring.

And please, please stop with the lame remarks.

Look, people here are less and less resistant to discussing jrpgs. I don't like this kind of game either, but do you really think that badmouthing someone like this accomplish anything else besides making you look stupid? I can understand that you may long to the codex of old, where people used to discuss rpg theory and no one mentioned jrpgs because they hardly mattered to the topics discussed.

But childishly calling someone names won't bring those times back. The reason the Codex of old is no more isn't because the new people around, it is because the old people either went away or stopped making insightful comments. If you really want to change anything, try posting something insightful.

bhlaab

Erudite
Steampunk is kind of a very common cliche nowadays.

Oddly enough, it's become a cliche for uniqueness. Like, someone will make a game set on Mars, except it's Steampunk Mars so it's okay.

Not that any of them use the setting correctly or inside any sort of sensible context.

Japanese developers in particular just throw in elements of steampunk for no reason. Like it'll be super techno future world and everyone has laser pistols, but for some reason everyone flies around in zeppelins and the cyborg warriors have pressure gauges

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Annie Carlson said:
yoshiteru tsujino is not a good art director, and 3d on the ds doesn't really work all too well for anything but dungeon crawlers and racing games (kinda hoping infinite space will be the exception).
judging by the screenies it doesn't look steampunk at all.

I think even if this looks kind of dippy, I'm probably going to have to get it as I am WAY gay for airships. In my salad days of game development I wrote up a design doc for an airship combat game, and if this even A LITTLE BIT CLOSE I'm afraid I may pee myself a little bit with pure delight.
go play skies of arcadia.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
The reason people are more willing to talk about jrpgs is because there aren't really any good crpgs to talk about right now, and most of the theory discussions have been ground to dust.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Annie is right. Atlus is the only large company that pays homage to old school rpgs. They happen to be Japanese, but that doesn't change the facts. Some of you need to quit jacking off in a corner, and open your mind to broader possibilities. Also, in the simplest of terms, there is no difference between Computer and Console games. Thinking as much is as retarded as bigotry. In other words, Keyboard = buttons. Live with it.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Name me five rpgs that were neither short, grindy, or broken...

Thats what I thought.

Zeus

Cipher
Annie Carlson said:
And also if you have more information, for Crom's sake POST THAT SHIT. Please.

Someone uploaded the trailer here:

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/user ... 61613.html

Skip to 0:50 for gameplay footage. The flight sequences look especially good, and the Indiana Jones guy reminds me of Lord Yupa from Nausicaa.

Unfortunately the steampunk theme seems underutilized. The bad guys are purple wizards lead by a knight in full plate armor. One of the PCs is a purple witch in a pointy purple hat. They fight big red demons and blue dragons. And except for some pistols and airships, I'm not seeing much that you couldn't find in any other JRPG.

But most damning of all... the skies are blue, Annie! The skies are steam free! It's like their tech runs on... on... magic! Where are the mountains of coal and billowing smoke stacks? Where are the brass gizmos and wooden dodads, where's the joy of seeing how modern technology could have been invented without electricity?

Ah well. At least we can skip to 1:20 and we confirm that yes, this RPG takes place in England. And that's a pretty good change of pace if you ask me.

LeStryfe79 said:
Name me five rpgs that were neither short, grindy, or broken...

Thats what I thought.

Will 8 Wizardries do? Or how about most of the main Ultima series? Ultima Underworld? Baldur's Gate? Icewind Dale? Jagged Alliance? Certain Gold Box titles? Wasteland? Gothic? I'm sure I've forgotten others.

I mean, I get your point in that games aren't always going to be perfect, but settling for a lot of jRPGs is settling a bit too much to me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom