Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Troubleshooter: Abandoned Children - isometric tactical Korean SRPG

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Never mind. Game is just another XCOM sink.
+500000000 items!!!!1

Metagaming is so passé. I hoped this game had its own gameplay twist, but alas...
d8097vA.jpg

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Finished the main campaign and I have mixed feelings about it. There's a lot of customization, but I found all of it so overwhelming. Making great characters requires either looking up a guide or a lot of trial and error and grinding. Some of the missions were fun, some of them went on for way too long with sudden difficulty spikes near the end. I approve of their tuning the game at a high baseline, but I'd say they didn't tune the lower difficulties low enough. I would not describe Easy as easy, and even Story isn't something anyone could just breeze through, which is the entire point of having a Story difficulty setting (I did notice while digging through the help files that there are offline cheats which would be mandatory for a real storytime experience, so I'm glad they put them there). I liked the characters, but there are so many of them, and that combined with the numerous flashbacks made the story difficult to follow.

I'm reluctant to start the free DLC or even bother with the paid one because I've read they're tuned exclusively for powerbuilders. I may try it out in the future for curiosity's sake, and cheat through it if necessary, but I'm done for the time being.

Lhynn

Arcane
There's a lot of customization, but I found all of it so overwhelming.
Thats a problem, thats half the game right there.

Making great characters requires either looking up a guide or a lot of trial and error and grinding.
Sort of, it encourages a lot of experimentation for sure.

I would not describe Easy as easy
Its a vicious cycle. You play on lower difficulties, meaning less spawns, which means less xp and loot, and less interesting loot. So you get left further and further behind the more you advance. The experience would have been smoother in higher difficulties.

Theres also the fact that you didnt do much side content, when doing side content is encouraged.

I liked the characters, but there are so many of them, and that combined with the numerous flashbacks made the story difficult to follow.
That also comes with playing the game, often replaying missions with different characters will let you see more about their past.

All in all it seems like you were very reluctant to engage with the game, and got punished by it for that, which is eminently desirable and wish more rpgs played like this, punishing people that half ass it, filter journos and all that good shit.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
All in all it seems like you were very reluctant to engage with the game, and got punished by it for that, which is eminently desirable and wish more rpgs played like this, punishing people that half ass it, filter journos and all that good shit.
I saw the stats on how long it takes to complete and decided to hell with that and stuck as close as possible to the critical path (I did have to do sidequests for a few hours when I hit one brickwall). I ended up spending a far more reasonable 67 hours with it which was enough for me. The critical path itself is 47 missions long which is certainly a substantial amount.

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
for me out of 1k hours in troubleshooter probably around 30-40% is staring at the mastery board
I found it rewarding tuning my builds for the current content after getting stuck (mainly in the first dlc when big boy enemies start to show up)

if building characters is something you are not interested in I would just skip dlc 1-2 its the best going for TS (story is pretty clusterfuck for example)

Lhynn

Arcane
Character building is super important, with every new arc your old masteries will become less useful, not because these new ones are simply better (Though some are) but because the new masteries allow you to counter the new threat, the whole process of rebuilding your team to face a new mechanic is always incredibly fun. Also gives each gang its own personality, it feels very much like a fresh challenge as you go from a gang that has low accuracy high damage spellcasters to another that goes hard on melee, to a new one that loves drawing you out and sniping you.

Lhynn

Arcane
God I must me the last of the super heterosexual alpha men who can't stand anime.
As a general rule, if an anime stars adults, its at least interesting. Stuff like Legend of the Galactic Heroes, Cowboy bebop, Trigun, Gungrave, hajime no Ippo, berserker etc.
The problem with anime is that around 95% of what comes out is high school aged protagonists even worse if centered around high school.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom