Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Translations of wapanese games

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Looks decent enough.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Man I wish they KS'ed a dungeon crawler translation or something, instead of one for a fucking visual novel.
:decline:

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I'm with you on that (and this doesn't even look good as VNs go, and the gameplay part seems pretty simple too). But I think having a translation project like this get kickstarted could set a good precedent and encourage a lot more translators to do this as a full time deal.

Crooked Bee

Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
felipepepe You think we should suggest this to the guy doing the Generation XTH translation? Maybe that could get him to translate the rest of the series if he could receive at least a few thousand bucks for it.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
felipepepe You think we should suggest this to the guy doing the Generation XTH translation? Maybe that could get him to translate the rest of the series if he could receive at least a few thousand bucks for it.
Hum, I'll all for burrying the guy under a pile of money, I'm enjoying the game A LOT, but I'm very concerned about the legal implications of this... he is basically selling (the creation of) a patch, even using copyrighted images from the game to ask for money, and this seems like a legal greyzone... I don't recall ever seeing people selling a mod or a patch before, and in this capitalistic world of ours I doubt no one ever thought of doing it... must be a reason why they don't. Of course, most japanese companies suffer from severe autism and may not hear or care about this, but is always a risk...

The XTH translation guy said he will first release the final patch and then set up a donation system, so I get the feeling he wants to see how it will reveberate through the internet... unfortunaly, it is a VERY niche game, so chances are that very few people will care about it, and it may even draw a mass of unwashed otaku peasants asking for translation of other titles instead of glorious XTH...

One interesting thins is that this translation KS only has 28 backers... that's $38 per otaku. As a full-part-time working man I'm more than willing to give more than that (as soon as I recuperate from Larian) for a translation of the rest of XTH series, and I got the feeling that you and others here would too, so perhaps we can do this without having to set up a proper, legal-suit taunting kickstarter... his forum has 54 registered users, if everyone gives $20 is already $1k, the same as the KS campaign.

Crooked Bee

Patron
Yeah, I'd be willing to give him at least $200 if that would mean him translating the entire trilogy.

Unfortunately yeah, you're right. He doesn't own the rights to the game, and it looks like his negotiations with Team Muramasa didn't come to anything.

Oh well. The Japs are a weird bunch. When you have a guy willing to translate your game into English for a meagre fee, how the hell do you turn him down?? You should find their office while you are in Japan and throw your best insults at them, felipepepe! :P

I will, however, donate a $50 if he sets up the donation system. The guy fully deserves that.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
One of the things that got brought up in the discussion before the kickstarter went up was the fact that even if the devs/publishers/whoever don't want the patch being made (which they don't in this case, for whatever inane reasons) them actually doing anything about it would be stupidly expensive and time consuming, since they'd have to deal with a legal system in another country in a foreign language (which they evidently despise). You can't exactly run legal documents through google translate. There's no way it'd be worth the trouble for them to crack down on a game that isn't even selling any more. And the odds they even find out are incredibly slim.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
What worries me is this:

shram said:
Don't wanna get burnt out on Xth - me or you, so gonna stagger it
icon_smile.gif

I can garantee that I won't get burned by having lots of awesome dungeon crawling to do, but it is true that he might, unless he takes a very professional approach to it... I think that is better if we kidnap reason with him, saying that we all love XTH and the fact that he did XTH 1 makes a lot easier to both translate XTH 2 and get the attention of players and donators, since people that played 1 will likely want 2 and pay for it.

The other issue is that he wants next to translate Sakura Wars, that while it is a tactical game, it also has tons of visual novel-like elements, a.k.a. shittons of text and choices... so while he has been working on XTH for ~5 months now, the next project will surely take a lot more... which means at least 1 year until we get XTH 2... and that is horribly cruel and unnaceptable.

deuxhero

Arcane
Hell, if you wanted to kickstart a patch, there are plenty of abandonware video games stuck in Japanese.

Krraloth

Prophet
Patron
Wasteland 2
The other issue is that he wants next to translate Sakura Wars

We really should bully coerce convince him to concentrate on dungeon crawlers, there are more than enough VN translators and soon-to-be hatched projects to translate text-heavy games, Codexians weaboos dungeon crawler fans should really follow through on this.

Crooked Bee

Patron
The other issue is that he wants next to translate Sakura Wars, that while it is a tactical game, it also has tons of visual novel-like elements, a.k.a. shittons of text and choices... so while he has been working on XTH for ~5 months now, the next project will surely take a lot more... which means at least 1 year until we get XTH 2... and that is horribly cruel and unnaceptable.

Honestly, I read some of the Sakura Wars LP at SomethingAwful. That was a great LP, but definitely *not* because of the game itself being great. Why the hell would he want to translate motherfucking Sakura Wars next?? Fishing for popamole popularity? Fucking :decline:

Krraloth

Prophet
Patron
Wasteland 2
Honestly, I read some of the Sakura Wars LP at SomethingAwful. That was a great LP, but definitely *not* because of the game itself being great. Why the hell would he want to translate motherfucking Sakura Wars next?? Fishing for popamole popularity? Fucking :decline:

That is part of the appeal of LPs, if the person doing it is good anything will be entertaining.

Fucking "So long my love" was very cringe-worthy for me, I can't begin to imagine the talent waste in translating that series.

Edit: I cannot into /quotes

Helly

Translating for brofists
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Well it's definitely more famous than XTH, that's for sure. It'll make him much more followers and will bring him more donations.
Maybe he just like Sakura Taisen, though :?
Worst case scenario I'll just translate XTH2 myself :M

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Worst case scenario I'll just translate XTH2 myself :M
Bro to the rescue!
:love:

Even so, no offense but the guy already has all the tools & know-how and is a great translator, solving the issues and crashes very fast. I wound't lke to see him lost to visual novels with so many dungeon crawlers out there...

Helly

Translating for brofists
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Of course, I'll only do that if worse comes to worst and he never manage to go back to XTH.
T'was just to reassure you: somebody will eventually translate those :)

TigerKnee

Arcane
Well I guess this forum apparently doesn't want to like it right away but Romanesque was fun gameplay wise.

Krraloth

Prophet
Patron
Wasteland 2
Well I guess this forum apparently doesn't want to like it right away but Romanesque was fun gameplay wise.

Honestly is more that he could be translating a another generation xth and is going for a VN, which, even if it was the best VN in the world, it's certainly no dungeon crawler.

TigerKnee

Arcane
Uh, yeah, you're thinking of two completely different people. This guy translated Kamidori and Big Bang Age, not Gen Xth.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Aroduc is the translator of Big Bang Age and Duel Savior, among others: http://vntls.tindabox.net/staff/aroduc

He can only bring Romanesque to KS because Littlewitch is out of business, it seems. And because the game is family friendly, contrary to another current project of his, Himegari.

EDIT: ninja'ed

Krraloth

Prophet
Patron
Wasteland 2
Nevermind my earlier post, I just failed at reading.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom