Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Translations of wapanese games

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
Bah! 4 years ago.

TBQH the MegaCD version of Illusion City sucks and is not worth translating. MSX/PC-98 versions, on the other hand...

I'm surprised we haven't seen Illusion City and Surging Aura translations by now.
Illusion City is definitely doable on the technical side since the text is not compressed or encrypted.

Huh, that's interesting, definitely low-hanging fruit for anyone willing to pick it up. I'm assuming this applies to the PC-98 version, which is the one I'd really like to play too. I read before that Surging Aura was built on the PSIV engine, which has been disassembled six ways to Sunday, and that makes me think it may not be so hard to tackle either.

Yes, the text in the PC-98 version can be accessed without any issues -- I did a few tests a few years ago and it worked like a charm.

Another game that deserves a translation is ElmKnight, but IIRC the text is compressed in the PC-98 version, while FM Towns is doable -- but the support for half-width romaji is pretty buggy, so a simple text replacement is going to be an exercise in trial and error.

flyingjohn

Arcane
A obscure ps1 srpg has been translated:

https://cdromance.com/psx-iso/ecsaform-english-patched/

SLPS-01791_2023-06-11_01-38-51.png

Last edited:

Duraframe300

Arcane
Cool shit.

Looking at the credits seems like these guys are responsible for 60+% of translated games these days.

680x0

Learned
This looks incredible, and it's nice to see the kickstarter succeeded too. Definitely something I'm interested in. Wishlisted.
It is fully translated and the dev. is responsive as hell I've got 60 hours in on NG + 2 and there are still some mysteries in this game. If I was more of a social media person, I would flog this thing everywhere.

Jinn

Arcane
This looks incredible, and it's nice to see the kickstarter succeeded too. Definitely something I'm interested in. Wishlisted.
It is fully translated and the dev. is responsive as hell I've got 60 hours in on NG + 2 and there are still some mysteries in this game. If I was more of a social media person, I would flog this thing everywhere.

Wow, thank you both so much for bringing this to my attention! Looks really cool.

680x0

Learned

Wow, thank you both so much for bringing this to my attention! Looks really cool.
Yeah I think a lot of people missed it in their discovery queue because it was only Japanese for a bit. My friend knows the Dev. and I guess he is a bit depressed about sales, I think the Japanese only launch hurt the algorithm despite him doing a bunch of low-key PR stuff with the Japanese Wizardry fan-club and minor v-tubers, etc. There is still a monster in the game that AFAIK nobody has found yet so it does have some secrets. Gonna hunt that Wumpus right now.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer

Yeah I think a lot of people missed it in their discovery queue because it was only Japanese for a bit. My friend knows the Dev. and I guess he is a bit depressed about sales, I think the Japanese only launch hurt the algorithm despite him doing a bunch of low-key PR stuff with the Japanese Wizardry fan-club and minor v-tubers, etc. There is still a monster in the game that AFAIK nobody has found yet so it does have some secrets. Gonna hunt that Wumpus right now.
It's been on my radar for a while, but I swore off buying games until I release mine. Guess I'll pick it up once my next paycheck arrives.

680x0

Learned

It's been on my radar for a while, but I swore off buying games until I release mine. Guess I'll pick it up once my next paycheck arrives.
I'm on NG + 2 and still discovering new weapons on a single floor dungeon-crawler.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer

I'm on NG + 2 and still discovering new weapons on a single floor dungeon-crawler.
Thanks for the glowing recommendation -- I picked it up and played it for a few minutes. I can't say I grasped its systems yet, but I'm having a good time.

The dungeon exploration reminds me of the original Dragon Slayer, which is a great sign.

680x0

Learned
Maybe I'm invested because I spent $250 USD on the translation, I'm just surprised it never showed up on my 52,000+ title discovery queue on Steam despite having Japanese selected in my language preferences and it was never posted by any of the Weeb Kings on codex either. I wouldn't have known about it if not for my boy Micky Albert. The monochrome interface reminds me a bit of the time I tried the PLATO system proto-roguelikes too.

Latro

Arcane
680x0

Tell the dev to go spam 4chan V or their vrpg board, there’s definitely an audience for small indie rpgs. I still see occasional threads for Ruina.

Oh, and you might want to tell him to put up English footage. I think most people browsing around will just pass immediately when the first screen they see is Japanese.

kaisergeddon

Liturgist
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
I went ahead and bought it. I'm looking forward to checking this one out under dim lights and having my monitor simulate a CRT glow.

merser

Literate
Have you already discussed the Eternal Punishment PSP fan translation? (it was completed some time ago)
Are we happy to be able to play comfortable versions of the best 2 games of the Persona series on PPSSPP?

kaisergeddon

Liturgist
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
I've put about twelve hours into Quester so far. It's a phenomenal game. It may appear scaled down compared to others in the genre, but it's superbly designed, and the core dungeon crawling loop and teambuilding are intensely compelling, tight and polished to perfection, with no errant parts or wasted features. I may have to start a thread for it sometime after I've gathered my thoughts and played it sufficiently, but I can easily recommend it without hesitation.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Recent translation of Dungeon Master Nexus for the Saturn
http://dmweb.free.fr/?q=node/1639

https://www.timeextension.com/news/...n-master-nexus-is-finally-playable-in-english
The patch provides "a complete fan translation" for the 1998 title, which was developed by Software Heaven and published by Victor Interactive Software.
"Translation was performed using several online translation tools," according to the team behind the patch. "Some texts were rephrased or adapted for a better translation or to fit under the limitations imposed by the game. The original Dungeon Master vocabulary was used wherever applicable (champion names, spell names, creature names, item names and actions, etc.)."
The patch doesn't remove every trace of Japanese from the game, however; there are FMV sequences which feature Japanese speech – English subtitles have been added to these. Japanese text can also be used when renaming a reincarnated champion, if you so wish.
As well as making the game playable in English, this patch also fixes two bugs present in the game. 'Sabre' and 'Samurai Sword' item images are swapped so they correspond to the right item, as are the 'Staff Of Manar' and 'Yew Staff' item images.

screens-from-the-unpatched-version-of-dungeon-master-nexus.large.jpg
screens-from-the-unpatched-version-of-dungeon-master-nexus.large.jpg

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Looks like the PSX version of Ultima Underworld has been translated:

IIRC, this suffers from the same object bug the original floppy version does.
Of less interest to most people around here, Blue Chicago Blues has finally gotten a translation on a platform that isn't the LaserActive. This game's of note thanks to the JB Harold series massive popularity in Japan and being a game with FMV entirely in English, yet the rest of it in Japanese.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom