Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Translations of wapanese games

ZIll O'll Infinite, one of the games that has forever been dismissed as never getting translated (unless maybe Koei did a modern port and gave it an official translation) has had a full translation relased. It's an RPG with branching paths, freeform character customization, and multiple endings, to the point it may just be a full on western RPG made in Japan instead of a jRPG.

https://www.romhacking.net/translations/1284/

Oh man. I've actually really been wanting to play this. Might be the first JRPG I start in awhile.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Surprised nobody mentioned this. Welcome House, a PSX/SAT comedic adventure game played like a survival horror game, got a translation recently. A machine translation. What's interesting is that this is this translation was made by an AI:

Best video I could find, I'm afraid. From what I've read, its supposed to be a good game, though I haven't played it yet, since my Japanese isn't great. I'm more intrigued by how it seems the game got a working translation so quickly.

Also, one of the ChoroQ games got translated. If you don't know, its supposed to be this weird series of Japanese racing/RPG games. I don't know how this game compares to the N64 title or the PS2-era stuff.

flyingjohn

Arcane
Somebody has started translating wachenroder, a interesting saturn srpg. The leaked patch breaks after the second fight so don't even bother.
Unfortunately the patch author is a faggot who hates piracy and who will terminate the project if he believes most people are pirating the game instead of actually owning the game.

And some good news, tactics ogre for the saturn has been translated:
http://meduza-team.ucoz.net/news/pe...re_let_us_cling_together_saturn/2023-02-27-43

Last edited:

flyingjohn

Arcane
Unfortunately the patch author is a faggot who hates piracy and who will terminate the project if he believes most people are pirating the game instead of actually owning the game.
:what:
I quote:
"The constant fear of being associated with piracy"
Said person has no understanding that nobody in the corporate world even knows or gives a fuck about a random German sounding, Japanese Saturn only srpg.

lightbane

Arcane
Top kek. The current state of modding. If the author is that insane, you might as well expect some changes to the script if the author feels it fitting to do so. In before he uses "they" pronouns.
Also, how will "they" check whether or not a game that is near-impossible to acquire legally is being pirated?

spekkio

Arcane
Tested, works and looks great ("widescreen" when compared to the Snes version, no constant loading which PS1 version is infamous for):

WTSYdyS.jpg

ledlMGF.jpg

rdfQ6zy.jpg

fZKsruB.jpg

Disabled VO tough, due to LQ actors.

SAT version could be the ultimate one, since both PSP remake and newshit Reborn remake are retarded sperg bullshit.

Last edited:

spekkio

Arcane
^
Also, I've pirated the game, hope the devs starve to death thanks to that.

edgy.png

As long as they're still alive, OFC.

Last edited:

Derringer

Prophet
^
Also, I've pirated the game, hope the devs starve to death thanks to that.

edgy.png

As long as the're still alive, OFC.
Alive works both ways with the dev company (which is probably dead or employees completely replaced) or the employees straight up dying since the game is over 2 decades old.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
“The Sword of Kumdor” (クムドールの剣) is a touch-typing RPG for the NEC PC‑98, created by Michiaki Tsubaki in 1991. You play as the Milky Way's #1 typist, summoned to planet Kumdor to fight mysterious monsters by typing spells — but you lose all your keyboard keys and your QWERTY skills in a crash landing. Can you recover your talents and save the world??

The game has a surreal atmosphere, quirky dialogue, and a distinctive visual style. Japanese fansites call it “my favorite childhood RPG” and “an underrated masterpiece.” I think it deserves more recognition, so I translated the game to English.

Kumdor has the strangest control scheme ever. Outside of combat and spell-casting, only the F, J, and Space keys are used, so as to keep even a novice typist's hands in the home row position at all times. F walks forward and Space turns you 90° clockwise. You get used to it, sorta.

https://foldr.moe/kumdor

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
Bah! 4 years ago.

TBQH the MegaCD version of Illusion City sucks and is not worth translating. MSX/PC-98 versions, on the other hand...

I'm surprised we haven't seen Illusion City and Surging Aura translations by now.
Illusion City is definitely doable on the technical side since the text is not compressed or encrypted.

kaisergeddon

Liturgist
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Bah! 4 years ago.

TBQH the MegaCD version of Illusion City sucks and is not worth translating. MSX/PC-98 versions, on the other hand...

I'm surprised we haven't seen Illusion City and Surging Aura translations by now.
Illusion City is definitely doable on the technical side since the text is not compressed or encrypted.

Huh, that's interesting, definitely low-hanging fruit for anyone willing to pick it up. I'm assuming this applies to the PC-98 version, which is the one I'd really like to play too. I read before that Surging Aura was built on the PSIV engine, which has been disassembled six ways to Sunday, and that makes me think it may not be so hard to tackle either.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom