Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Totally Not Corrupt Professional Objective Gaming Journalism DRAMA

FeelTheRads

Arcane
IGN is my only source for gaming reviews and info because it's the best and dare I say toughfest. I think they really put games through the grinder and make sure we get a straight up reivew. If you don't like it then we would be happy to see you leave.

:lol:

toughfest

Moar like dumbfest, amirite?

Dr Tomo

Learned
IGN "journalist" rushes through an indie game on the easiest difficulty, lies about it, revises article in cover-up attempt, fails horribly. (They don't get payola or comped shrimp dinners from indie titles, so I reckon rushing through is standard procedure for indie game reviews.)

Well it is a indie title after all. I am sure the reviewer wanted to play a more fun high quality game like BF 4 or the latest Assassin Creed.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy

terrible.png

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Does this mean we're on par with great journalism sites like Kotaku?

It means the project creator values our input and realizes we aren't being supplied with shrimp dinners and comped hotel rooms as a reward for our "unbiased" "journalism." Quite frankly, RPG Codex articles are up to the same essential standard of professionalism as Kotaku's or Eurogamer's—their integrity is compromised due to their salaries being paid by the people they're criticizing, while we're biased toward incline. Their "writers" are largely people with associate's degrees from community colleges or liberal arts majors, if indeed they possess any qualifications at all. Few if any are truly qualified as "gaming experts" to begin with, and seem to lack familiarity with older games or the particulars of the industry's history.

In short, they're no-talent hacks scraping a living.

Yes, I realize that was a rhetorical question which I turned into a soapbox.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
We have gotten plenty of press copies of games. No mountain dew yet though.

Monte Cook didn't even respond when we (myself included, though I didn't have a "connection") requested an advance copy of Numenera, that son of a gun.

In retrospect, it was probably for the best—Numenera was mediocre as fuck, and pretty much everyone forgot about it approximately five minutes after reading it.

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Wow reading this thread has made me lose a measure of respect for humanity at large.

I figured out "gaming journalism" was a hoax when I was 11. I read a magazine and was like WTF game did these assholes play. Why did I waste my money on this shit? After that I just stopped paying attention to magazines and online "professional" reviews. Video game journalism didn't even factor into my decision process on which games to buy.

I never realized this was such a big deal to folks. I figured any asshole who isn't intelligent enough to see the blatant PR bullshit they are being spoon fed deserves to waste their money on the shit being pushed at them. They probably wouldn't understand what a good game is anyways.

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Wow. Such choices.

I mean, I liked Papers, Please, but I wouldn't consider it best PC game of the year.

Either Battlefield 4 because of EA or Gone Home because of Citizen Kane of Gaming.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Wow. Such choices.

I mean, I liked Papers, Please, but I wouldn't consider it best PC game of the year.

For the crime of treason, the government of Arstotzka demands you turn in your avatar!

But on a serious note... I do consider Papers, Please a contender as best PC game of the year. Mainly due to lack of competition.

Last edited:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Why wouldn't you consider Papers, Please as a candidate? I mean, if it was some itty bitty indie-game with next to no game mechanics and all story or something, I could understand it. As it is, it's a pretty brilliant little game. Would be huge incline to have it win over some of the big Michael Bay-ish candidates that often seem to get the spotlight.

Athelas

Arcane
The people who made that poll have apparently never heard of middle ground, pitting three indies against the very definition of an AAA popamole cinematic game.

Hoping Papers, Please wins it. I haven't played the Stanley Parable: is it actually good or just pretentious nonsense in the vein of Dear Esther?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
The people who made that poll have apparently never heard of middle ground, pitting three indies against the very definition of an AAA popamole cinematic game.

Hoping Papers, Please wins it. I haven't played the Stanley Parable: is it actually good or just pretentious nonsense in the vein of Dear Esther?

Mostly pretentious. It is definetely not nonsense, since it has some very clear points and some clever ways to deliver them, but overall it's still "look I can tell a clever story by having you press WASD."

Dr Tomo

Learned
This is causing a controversy as people are just learning more of how "gaming" journalism is corrupt and pretty much apart of the PR department of most Pub's. So far nothing really concrete with evidence and some speculation, but it is amusing none the less. Also people are claiming that Cliffy B's bro owns Vox Media and SB Nation which might or not be true. There is possible console fanboyism regarding the video.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=720073
http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/1r5n9u/polysoft_polygon_exposed/

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom