Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Totally Not Corrupt Professional Objective Gaming Journalism DRAMA

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Isn't Jim Sterling the faggot who hated Deus Ex? Fuck that loser.

No thats Tom Chick, he gave Deus Ex 3/10, defended his opinion years later http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/06/29/tom-chick-the-man-who-hated-deus-ex/ and at the same time called Far Cry 2 one of the best shooters of all time.

That was before console systems came along and saved us all from poorly optimized engines.

Kill it with fire.

Also, he likes Alpha Protocol. :lol:

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
Whatever happened to the guy who was kind of semi-oldschool and wrote a column about RPGs? He had a nick that started with D I think, desslock, desmond? His name was thrown around quite often here a few years ago, back when Oblivion was the hot topic on the 'dex.

EDIT: Ah yes, Desslock was his name. Seems he quit PCGamer in 2012 or so.

Diablo169

Arcane
I put Sterling in the same category as Totalbiscuit. They're better then then most games "Journalists" but still talk bollocks a lot of the time. Kind of a marmite situation.

PlanHex

Arcane
Patron
I put Sterling in the same category as Totalbiscuit. They're better then then most games "Journalists" but still talk bollocks a lot of the time. Kind of a marmite situation.
Ahh, come on. TotalBiscuit isn't *that* bad.

Also, Sterling is not better than most. Worse in some cases, slightly better in others.

SwiftCrack

Arcane

Also, Sterling is not better than most. Worse in some cases, slightly better in others.

Did he piss on your favourite archaic cRPG?

J1M

Arcane

I don't follow him, but the majority of total biscuit that I have seen involves him picking at the same flaw for 5+ minutes while he fails badly at the game he is playing. Perhaps he is failing badly because he is trying to think of something witty to say, but I suspect his accent has as much to do with his fame as anything else.

PlanHex

Arcane
Patron

Did he piss on your favourite archaic cRPG?
He thrives on randomly shitting on circle-jerk-of-week-games for page hits and then praising another the next week, while considering himself above all the other shitty games journalists. He pissed on a strawman of NMA and the Codex in that link earlier on this page too. He's a hypocrite and a dumb cunt.

I don't follow him, but the majority of total biscuit that I have seen involves him picking at the same flaw for 5+ minutes while he fails badly at the game he is playing. Perhaps he is failing badly because he is trying to think of something witty to say, but I suspect his accent has as much to do with his fame as anything else.
Meh, I haven't watched that many of his videos either. He seems to defend consumers first on principle, which puts him miles ahead of pretty much everyone else in my book.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
TotalBiscuits videos are unwatchable because nobody wants to spend 20+ minutes listening to ramblings that could be summed up in 5 minutes.

retardation

Learned
The fact that you discuss these two idiots like they are the best western gaming journalists is the reason why we have Thiaf 'n' shit. Sterling sank Duke Nukem Forever for having women abducted by aliens, and TB is just a boring guy who dicks around the game menu while talking stuff.

skuphundaku

Economic devastator, Mk. 11
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Hopefully the mass market gets milked out of their money and stops buying games. Mass market is the worst thing that ever happened to the industry.
You might as well wait for the ocean to fully evaporate. You would need a fucking extinction level event to make the "mass market" stop buying games. And saying that "Mass market is the worst thing that ever happened to the industry" is woefully misguided. The mass appeal of games brought the post 2004(-ish) trend in AAA, but the mass market (as it was back then) also brought the great games of the end of the '90s. Unless you have a hankering for rudimentary games from the late '70 and early '80, the mass market is what you need to be thankful to.

Delterius

Arcane
Speaking of that Sterling article and how heretical fans can't endure unquestionable Progress. Anyone seen such articles since the Kickstarter wave? I mean, does the old narrative of vocal minorities riling against AAA awesomeness still perpetuate itself?

J1M

Arcane
Hopefully the mass market gets milked out of their money and stops buying games. Mass market is the worst thing that ever happened to the industry.
You might as well wait for the ocean to fully evaporate. You would need a fucking extinction level event to make the "mass market" stop buying games. And saying that "Mass market is the worst thing that ever happened to the industry" is woefully misguided. The mass appeal of games brought the post 2004(-ish) trend in AAA, but the mass market (as it was back then) also brought the great games of the end of the '90s. Unless you have a hankering for rudimentary games from the late '70 and early '80, the mass market is what you need to be thankful to.
"More nerds owning computers" and "technology improving" is not the same thing as "people who like Everybody Loves Raymond all start buying videogames".

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter
So would someone care to explain how Jim Sterling was a good journalist/important in the game industry in comparison to TB?
giving bad scores to some games regardless of reason is reason enough to be considered good these days. It doesn't really matter if he gives Kane And Lynch 2 1.0 if he likes the core mechanics of the genre.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom