Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Totally Not Corrupt Professional Objective Gaming Journalism DRAMA

help me understand this.
i'm having an argument on an italian forum with the guy who reviewed xcom for a magazine, and gave it a high score of course.
people were saying that if its next expansion won't sell well it may be the end of the saga.
i replied "i hope so", because i don't want more shitty games.
this guy jumped at me saying i'm a hater, i have no objective viewpoint, i'm biased and medias have absolute no impact on sales because despite the good votes xcom got it didn't sell as well as expected.

am i a hater, with no objective viewpoint and biased because i hope for the death of a glorious brand turned absolute shit?

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
TotalBiscuits videos are unwatchable because nobody wants to spend 20+ minutes listening to ramblings that could be summed up in 5 minutes.
That's part of his charm. Inane blabbering in perfectly correct British English.

This reminds me, they would release XCOM next week. Should I review it?

Machocruz

Arcane
help me understand this.
i'm having an argument on an italian forum with the guy who reviewed xcom for a magazine, and gave it a high score of course.
people were saying that if its next expansion won't sell well it may be the end of the saga.
this guy jumped at me saying i'm a hater, i have no objective viewpoint, i'm biased and medias have absolute no impact on sales because despite the good votes xcom got it didn't sell as well as expected.

am i a hater, with no objective viewpoint and biased because i hope for the death of a glorious brand turned absolute shit?

Did you defend your position? Either beat them down with exhaustive critical analysis or tell them to "fuck off, casual" and go on with your day. Either they'll come to admit you know what you're talking about, or more likely, they'll fall back on the usual defeneses, ie "opinions can't be wrong," " games are evolving," etc.

I made the mistake of humoring someone who tried to argue that Fallout 3 has as many quests with as many solutions and outcomes as 1,2, and NV, and that fully written lines of dialogue are archaic because we in game books are better for information, and that fully written lines of dialogue are as ambiguous and inconsistent in desired/expected tone as Mass Effect dialogue wheel. It's like talking to a brick wall. Of stupid.

CSM

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
So would someone care to explain how Jim Sterling was a good journalist/important in the game industry in comparison to TB?
Jim Sterling is funny and Total Biscuit has a nice voice. Sometimes they have interesting opinions, sometimes they don't. They aren't paid hacks like pope Doritodew.

This makes some people on the RPGCodex extremely mad for some reason.

help me understand this.

Did you defend your position? Either beat them down with exhaustive critical analysis or tell them to "fuck off, casual" and go on with your day. Either they'll come to admit you know what you're talking about, or more likely, they'll fall back on the usual defeneses, ie "opinions can't be wrong," " games are evolving," etc.

I made the mistake of humoring someone who tried to argue that Fallout 3 has as many quests with as many solutions and outcomes as 1,2, and NV, and that fully written lines of dialogue are archaic because we in game books are better for information, and that fully written lines of dialogue are as ambiguous and inconsistent in desired/expected tone as Mass Effect dialogue wheel. It's like talking to a brick wall. Of stupid.
i did. back then i wrote whole essays about how much xcom sucks, and only because i wanted to speak about *part* of its shortcomings.
and back then he justified his review with "i liked it".

not that i'd be interested in arguing with one of the "professional" journos.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Jim Sterling was the anti-Jason Schreier of Destructoid.

Literally one of the few voices of reason left.

One thing I like about Sterling is that he seems to be the only sane person out there who appreciates KOEI's games for what they really are and gives scores accordingly.

http://www.p4rgaming.com/sony-cuts-...bout-the-playstation-4-directly-to-consumers/

“I personally don’t think it’s a big deal that we’re giving reviews of our own products,” opined House, “People were willing to accept reviews from people who act as if they worked for us anyway. Now that I think about it, a lot of those people who loved to review our products ended up working for us. So in actuality, consumers are really getting the same reviews from the same people they already know and love.”

:lol:

skuphundaku

Economic devastator, Mk. 11
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
http://www.p4rgaming.com/sony-cuts-...bout-the-playstation-4-directly-to-consumers/

“I personally don’t think it’s a big deal that we’re giving reviews of our own products,” opined House, “People were willing to accept reviews from people who act as if they worked for us anyway. Now that I think about it, a lot of those people who loved to review our products ended up working for us. So in actuality, consumers are really getting the same reviews from the same people they already know and love.”

We've reached the Gaming Journalism™ singularity!

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Fucking people still don't get that that site is a parody site.

Bilgefar

Savant
Yep. The reason P4R is so funny is that it's a parody site, and yet has more truth to it than most actual "gaming journalism." The quote in that article is made up, but it's hilarious because it's so accurate.

Brinko

Arcane
Interesting write up on reddit.
http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/1qijni/the_true_story_of_most_review_events/
You get an email between three-eight weeks in advance of a review event, requesting your presence. The better times are the ones with longer lead times. You are then discussing travel, platform choice, and other sundry details with likely outsourced contract PR.

The travel begins. Usually to the West Coast. Used to be to Vegas. That's not as common. Most are in LA, Bay Area, Seattle metro now.

A driver picks you up at the airport, drops you off at the hotel. "Do you want to add a card for incidentals?" Of course not. You're not paying for the room. The Game Company is.

The room is pleasant. Usually a nice place. There's always a $2-$3K TV in the room, sometimes a 5.1 surround if they have room for it, always a way to keep you from stealing the disc for the game. Usually an inept measure, necessary from the dregs of Games Journalism. A welcome pamphlet contains an itinerary, a note about the $25-$50 prepaid incidentals, some ID to better find and herd cattle.

Welcoming party occurs. You see new faces. You see old faces. You shoot the breeze with the ones you actually wanted to see again. Newbies fawn over the idea of "pr-funded vacation." Old hands sip at their liquor as they nebulously scan the room for life. You will pound carbs. You will play the game briefly. You will go to bed.

Morning. Breakfast is served at the hotel. You pound carbs. You play the game. You glance out the window at the nearest cityscape/landscape. You play the game more. Lunch is served at the location. You pound carbs. You talk about the game with fellow journalists. You play the game more. Dinner is served at the location. You sometimes have good steak. You usually pound carbs. You talk about the game with fellow journalists. You watch as they get drunk. You feel bad as one gets lecherous and creepy. You feel bad as one gets similar, yet weepy. You play the game more. You sleep.

This repeats for however many days. You pray for the game to end so you can justify leaving. Sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn't. Freedom is brief. Freedom is beautiful. Freedom is the reason you came here.

Farewell, says PR. They hand you some swag. A shirt, a messenger bag, a $250 pair of headphones, a PS4 with everything? Newbies freak out like it's Christmas. Old hands jam it into bags and pray it travels safely. It's always enough to be notable. Not enough to be taxable. Not enough to be bribery.

You go home with a handful of business cards. Follow on Twitter. Friend on Facebook. Watch career moves, positive and negative.

You write your review. You forward the links to PR. Commenters accuse you of being crooked. "Journalists" looking for hitcounts play up a conspiracy. Free stuff for good reviews, they say. One of your new friends makes less than minimum wage writing about games. He's being accused of "moneyhats." You frown, hope he finds new work.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
IGN "journalist" rushes through an indie game on the easiest difficulty, lies about it, revises article in cover-up attempt, fails horribly. (They don't get payola or comped shrimp dinners from indie titles, so I reckon rushing through is standard procedure for indie game reviews.)

lolign.jpg

lolign2.jpg

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=32173792

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=32186336&postcount=931

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
IGN is my only source for gaming reviews and info because it's the best and dare I say toughfest. I think they really put games through the grinder and make sure we get a straight up reivew. If you don't like it then we would be happy to see you leave.
:what:

80Maxwell08

Arcane
I remember when that happened. An old one but a good one.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom