Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Total War: Warhammer III

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Fixing this mess is a herculean task because, as has been pointed out before, the issues are pervasive in the entire franchise and those which are unique to Warhammer are deeply ingrained as features. There's so much wrong with every aspect and almost every faction that it will take a dedicated team years to get anywhere. It's dead, Jim. The best we can hope for is symbolic bug fixing and some race reworks to make the factions at least playable.

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I can get something out of campaign if I mod out settlement battles and use harder autoresolve mod so that you actually have to fight battles. But it's generally just less enjoyable than Warhammer II due to AI factions having something like a hard limit to their expansion once they take like 3 provinces. The second game always had some faction bloating up that created an organic challenge later on. Sieges are a lost cause by this point. They need to get rid of ass ladders so that walls are actually beneficial for the defender to hold, make artillery and weapon teams deployable on them and make the maps open enough that even an individual infantry unit doesn't have trouble manouvering without having to move in a narrow formation. Instead it's this super frustrating form of tower defence that I neither enjoy as an attacker or defender. I just don't see it ever getting better since CA has neither the design sense or willingness to devote resources to fix maps and animations and such.
Multiplayer people are livid about kislev and lizardmen getting buffs when they were already top 4 factions and healing not getting touched. Healing being changed to be percentage based instead of flat numbers made it ridiculous for factions that can heal their elite mobile units. Bretonnian grail and hippogryff knights, dark elf lords with dragon mounts and soul stealer, dragon mounted Imrik with life caster, life slanns with big dinos and kislev patriarch with bear blobs is all you've seen for over a year.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
But it's generally just less enjoyable than Warhammer II due to AI factions having something like a hard limit to their expansion once they take like 3 provinces.

I think they kinda fixed that. In my latest Chaos Dwarves campaign I find Skarbrand ,of all lords , had captured half of the empire territory while Malus was conquered nearly all chaos wastes. Late game was between me, them and fucking lizardmen.

Jeskis

Brother
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Yeah ass ladders suck. As a defender it is much better to take defensive positions in narrow streets. But thing is without ass ladders attacking AI will suck even more. But that’s not the only problem sieges have. Defending AI is utterly braindead, it’s literally much easier to handle an overwhelming AI forces by attacking them being besieged because AI can’t properly maneuver.

thesecret1

Arcane
AI is ass regardless of circumstance. Even on flat, open plain it's dumb, and has been for a very long time. I suspect it's why modern TW games feel like they want you to use autoresolve rather than fight a battle youself

Lacrymas

Arcane
Ass ladders is such a minuscule issue with sieges it's almost not worth mentioning. There are much bigger problems with sieges.

9ted6

Educated
Warhammer always seemed retarded to me but the concept of fantasy Total War's dope.

Too bad CA is also very retarded and has a monopoly on the niche. Modders have put them to shame at this point.

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
I wish someone else tried to do the same concept since CA is awful at the turn based campaign mechanics and they have massive legacy code issues. Warhammer 3 code has been cobbled up from Total War Napoleon codebase.

Mitleser2020

Scholar
Low level power creep: New Kislev tier 1 unit defeats Empire Halberdiers despite being cheaper and having worse stats
When I controlled Kislevite Warriors they won even more decisively. I thought it because they had wider formation. But I was surprised that even with wide formation halberdiers still lost despite they have better stats.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uxvs_sYRCU8

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
AP halberd units that effectively fight to the death for 500gp. Statwise they would be reasonable compared to something like eternal guard or high elf spearmen, but By Our Blood is disproportionally good on chaff that is supposed to hold the line.

Mitleser2020

Scholar
Even if SoC was free, I would not bother with it.

This is supposed to be a new Kislev unit.
frost-wyrm-3d-model-3-1024x576.png

It keeps getting worse.

people: "DLC are pay to win"

CA: "ok... how about pay to lose"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1-lJI2uYL0

std::namespace

people: "DLC are pay to win"

CA: "ok... how about pay to lose"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1-lJI2uYL0

on video is a pathetic autistic neckbeard incel
WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH UNIT BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH I KEEEEEEEEEEEP EAAATING SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT

this waaaah reminds of a time a million years ago when i realized that diablo 2 rebalancing and patches were made to keep the shiteaters online
it pushes the rng around so that the hooked gamblers dont wake up

disgusting just seeing this filth

Lacrymas

Arcane
People can't be passionate anymore without being called incel filth ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
I think that particular unit has broken hitboxes on attack animations. I don't see how it loses so consistently against other monsters even if they have worse melee stats.
Also in Total War's case balance patches are like the opposite of what keeps people in the game. They roll them out like twice a year and they usually manage to ignore majority of shit multiplayer scene hates while also nerfing something to the ground in a way that upsets campaign players. It took them about a year to fix the power grab bug and goblin labourers having full capture weight in domination.

SmartCheetah

Arcane
In Single Player that Frost Wyrm unit ain't THAT bad actually - just a mediocre monster unit with animations that don't give it any benefits - unlike Jabberslythe. Add a big hitbox on top of that and it can die rather quickly.
Actually comparing it to Jabberslythe which is a really great SP unit is... Meh. Beastmen should have strong and wild Monster units because that's what their faction is about. Kislev shouldn't have so many strong monsters in their roster - or at least shouldn't become a faction that is dominated by Frost Wyrm's because that would just take away that "Kislev" feel of a faction.
I don't think CA wanted to give OP shit to every single faction. They just wanted to fill the rosters. This Frost Wyrm thing was rather sad addition, but oh well. Can't have everything.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I have to ask what niche the frost worm is supposed to fulfill that the elemental bear doesn't
It's available earlier and cheaper.
Also faster, not that I think that matters much.
Remember that CA balances for the handful of multiplayer people - in MP, cost of a unit actually matters (in SP not so much).

It's really not a great unit, but that is mostly down to its size and animations. It is HUGE, so it gets surrounded super easily.
And due to its animations it doesn't do much against single entities other than move them around.

I can see myself using it to fill some gaps now and again, but not more.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
The Golden Knight looks like something straight out of world of warcraft (its a female warrior btw lmao)

golden-knight-concept-art.png
I thought this one was from WoW, not the actual Warhammer concept art :negative:
Pretty sure I got shit on by this thread at release when I said the shitslevites and cuckayans looked like crap. Knew full well they were going to Disney it up.

Said it was better off looking more like age of conan's, khitai.

His Dudeness

Augur
Low level power creep: New Kislev tier 1 unit defeats Empire Halberdiers despite being cheaper and having worse stats
When I controlled Kislevite Warriors they won even more decisively. I thought it because they had wider formation. But I was surprised that even with wide formation halberdiers still lost despite they have better stats.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uxvs_sYRCU8

The Empire patch should be coming this year. I'm not that bothered with power creep or OP strategies, I really hate that after the early-mid game it is a steamroll of autoresolve with no real threat besides the stupid invasions.

They should really improve the AI in the campaign map to offer different challenges.

Lacrymas

Arcane

They should really improve the AI in the campaign map to offer different challenges.
I don't think this is possible even in a perfect case scenario if everything else in the game stays the way it is. What could be done without changing the game from the ground up is to have different scripted campaigns for each LL. Pure sandbox isn't going to work beyond the first 15 turns or so to provide a challenge.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom