Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

This is the old shit; Let's Play Baldur's Gate (Completed)

Melcar

Arcane
Characters have to be at least lvl. 6 and have goodish equipment. There are a few summoning wands in the early parts of the game, so it's easy to keep on spawning monsters to keep Drizzt busy.
Another approach is to have one of your characters act as a temp. tank and do hit and run attacks on him (a good blunt weapon helps too since he's wearing a flimsy chain). a -20AC will keep you rather safe (golden belt + full plate gives you an extra -7 modifier against his scimitars); Drizzt needs criticals to hit you then, which he rolls every 5 hits or so. Managed to bludgeon him to death like that once with a high level fighter.
Still, the easiest way is with slings. In BG1 slings receive damage bonuses from your strength score, so you can easily be dealing +15 damage on every hit. Just stock up on +2 bullets, get a good sling, give your character a potion of strength (fire giant potions are plentiful), haste the fucker, and go play David and Goliath. Just keep Drizzt busy with summons.
In BG2 he's a big pussy, even with his party. Still fun though, since he's one of the few "party" encounters in the game. That's one of the things I liked in BG better, that you often faced other groups of adventures, while in BG2 it was mostly monsters and shit.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Interesting.
Regarding BG2, in some mod (SCS2?) there is this encounter with the Chosen of Cyric.
How did you like that? I think the whole encounter was pretty cool.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Really? I think SCS2 is awesome. I would say overall it's more difficult than Tactics - although certain single encounters are less painful. It helps having as much Fighter/Mages or Mages as possible, or quasi Fighter/Mages like Haerdalis. I think the last time I had F/M PC, Haerdalis, Edwin, Jan, Imoen, Irenicus. Oh well, yeah I tried the Longer Road mod last time. Not bad actually.

Melcar

Arcane
No, SCS is awesome. It's just that nowadays I can only re-play BG2 so many times without getting bored and doing something else. Tactics simply frustrated me, so by the time I tried to play again using SCS I was rather burned out and could not finish the game. I may try playing it again eventually.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I played BG 1 and 2 to death too, but then again, I was young and needed the entertainment. War jung und brauchte das Geld. :(

NamelessNPC

Educated
The Baldurs Gate games were a huge part of my late childhood/early teens, no amount of :rpgcodex: will be able to take away the nostalgia I feel when I occasionally sit down and replay them. Ach, ich bin ein katzenfisch.

Grejt LP by teh wejj.

Chapter 5: And We Would Have Gotten Away With It Too, If It Weren't For You Meddling Mercenaries!

Previously not seen on Motherfucker Shepard's rompfest.

-Imoen became a conjurer, because Dynaheir has shit access to a lot of spells, consequences of being an Invoker.

-Kicking feminist womyn ass by trapping them in the Web of the Patriarchy, and proceeding to pelt them with phallic arrows representing how the "male gaze" breaks them.

-Killing loads of bandits, looking for their base of operations.

-Killing a mad cleric for, as those urban kids say "mad loot".

And now, it continues...

bglp043.jpg

Imoen dual-classed to a mage. Funny thing is, she has more HP than most of the rest of the party.

bglp044.jpg

Time for a quick resupply and recuperation trip after killing loads of banditos.

bglp045.jpg

Bandit scalps can be turned in for lots of money.

jack2s.jpg
: How does she know they are bandits? For all she knows, I could just go on a killing spree and scalp everyone in a small village. This is some dumb shit. No wonder nothing gets done by anybody else in this world...

bglp046.jpg

jack2s.jpg
: I like.

bglp048.jpg

Upstairs in one of the Inns, the group runs into this clown, who was Mulahey's contact to the Bandit Camp. He won't talk, so Shepard decides to use some diplomacy...by speaking with his sword.

Diplomacy: Success! He opens up after one hit of Shepard's sword.

bglp049.jpg

jack2s.jpg
: Let me think about that...

bglp051.jpg

Mercy is a shield used by the weak.-Somebody EXTREME! enough even for Shepard.

bglp052.jpg

Clues...precious clues....

bglp053.jpg

Off to the bandit camp the crew goes, though they have to go through the woods again.

bglp055.jpg

Shepard and crew kill a Flaming Fist Officer trying to bring in this drow woman on charges of murder, but it turns out she's kind of a bitch when we say there's no room for her.

jack2s.jpg
: But I'm sure she has some room....

bglp056.jpg

And the crew arrives at the bandit camp.

bglp057.jpg

Some nasty looking folks in there, perhaps a more subtle...

jack2s.jpg
: Subtlety doesn't include breaking things and killing people...which really are my primary skills...

bglp058.jpg

That means it's time for a bit of full frontal <s>nudity</s> assault.

Also check how the arrows look like they are about to collide in mid air. Super special awesome!

bglp059.jpg

jack2s.jpg
: That hobgoblin...now he's even more chill...

Check out the lovely decor of dead bodies and gore strewn about. To be fair, they are made up of mostly gnolls and hobgoblins, so it's not as dumb as something like Fallout 3.

bglp060.jpg

The leader of the hobgoblin bandits is entangled and killed by Shepard's one man firing squad, with his fancy new bow.

jack2s.jpg
: Ardenor Crush? What are you, some soda mascot? The taste of the Sword Coast....Ardenor Crush!

bglp062.jpg

Yeah....maybe dual-classing Imoen wasn't the best idea...

bglp063.jpg

jack2s.jpg
: Time to make your little timeout permanent.

bglp064.jpg

bglp065.jpg

bglp066.jpg

Look ma! No screenshot glitches!

bglp067.jpg

No matter how hostile Shepard is with this guy, he won't attack.

bglp067.jpg

One guy....this can't be too difficult...

jack2s.jpg
: I'm getting some bad flashbacks here...

bglp069.jpg

Things get desperate, and Web comes to the rescue, allowing Shepard to finish off the man with the unpronounceable first name from afar.

bglp071.jpg

jack2s.jpg
: Score!

bglp072.jpg

jack2s.jpg
: Full Plate Mail. For when you absolutely, positively got to protect yourself against every motherfucker in Faerun, accept no substitutes.

bglp073.jpg

jack2s.jpg
: FFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

bglp074.jpg

Boss fight time. Here you square off against a souped up bandit leader, a gnollish tank, an extra deadly hobgoblin elite, and their mage compatriot.

bglp075.jpg

Each of the party mages drops a Stinking Cloud on the baddies, forcing each of them to save vs death twice a round, or fall unconscious. Jaheira also drops an Entangle for good measure, then follows up with a Remove Fear spell to counter the Horror cast by the mage enemy.

Arrows are then used liberally.

bglp076.jpg

jack2s.jpg
: How you gonna dispel an arrow in your chest?

bglp077.jpg

The enemies fall pretty easily, though the mage somehow pulls off a Melf's Acid Arrow on Khalid.

bglp079.jpg

A friendly also is in the tent.

jack2s.jpg
: He's lucky we didn't go with the Fireball method...

bglp080.jpg

bglp081.jpg

bglp082.jpg

He gives up a lot of information, and gives the group their next target.

bglp083.jpg

Again, Imoen's thieving skills are sorely missed.

bglp084.jpg

Suddenly...a pop up!

jack2s.jpg
: I feel like I've passed some arbitrary narrative barrier and that the world is now more open to me...

bglp085.jpg

Apparently we've found out that Tazok's superior is a guy named Davaeorn.

bglp086.jpg

And apparently Davaeorn is taking orders from some "Sarevok", or at least affiliated with him.

bglp087.jpg

bglp088.jpg

bglp089.jpg

bglp091.jpg

Another odd dream...with another power granted; this time the very timely instant Slow Poison special ability. Very nice in the ettercap, spider, and wyvern filled Cloakwood.

bglp092.jpg

And that is where the crew heads off.

Next time, the Cloakwood Forest, and the first time Shepard runs into encounters that take the crew completely apart (in this timestream at least).

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
shepard.jpg
: An elite team of six soldiers, just like Spectres. This has got to be what my great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-grandpa talked about. This must be where he met grandma too. Did you see how he reduced enemies to chunky bits?! Extreme! HEY GRANDPA! NICE HAT!

jack2s.jpg
: What the - I'm hearing voices in my head...

watcher.jpg
: Quiet you! This is the wrong room!

RK47 said:
shepard.jpg
: An elite team of six soldiers, just like Spectres. This has got to be what my great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-grandpa talked about. This must be where he met grandma too. Did you see how he reduced enemies to chunky bits?! Extreme! HEY GRANDPA! NICE HAT!

jack2s.jpg
: What the - I'm hearing voices in my head...

watcher.jpg
: Quiet you! This is the wrong room!

Nice. I'll try and work something in. Might take awhile though...

Chapter 6: Spider Sandwich

When last we left Shepard, the crew had set out for the Cloakwood and had found...

bglp093.jpg

...loads of trash combat! Yeah, the first part of the Cloakwood and the third part are pretty much full of it.

bglp094.jpg

jack2s.jpg
: A cloak...in the Cloakwood...how...unexpectedly cheesy...

bglp004.jpg

bglp005.jpg

Stinking Cloud helps to keep spiders and Tasloi under control.

bglp008.jpg

This here is Aldeth Sashenstar, a merchant who went hunting with some buddies and apparently some druids didn't like his choice of pastime. He wants some help defending himself.

bglp009.jpg

The druids show up. Great dialogue choices, huh? Wanna bet on what happens with the second one?

bglp010.jpg

WHAT A TWIST!

jack2s.jpg
: Hippie beatdown incoming!

bglp012.jpg

The fight ends so quickly, there aren't any screenshots of it. Aldeth leaves, but not before giving Shepard a nice potion and some gold.

Trivia time! Seniyad is actually the Archdruid of the order Jaheira belongs to. See how well that was acknowledged? This is the case with quite a few NPCs and their backgrounds. Branwen was turned to stone by Tranzig, yet says nothing when encountering him. If you choose to infiltrate the Bandit Camp by joining with one of the roving bandit patrols, and have Kivan with you, he says nothing to Tazok, despite his biography saying Tazok raped and killed his wife or something. However, some NPCs actually do take things into account.

bglp013.jpg

Khalid is beset upon by wolves, and killed.

jack2s.jpg
: Replacement time!

bglp014.jpg

jack2s.jpg
: How convenient that a spot just opened up in our party...

bglp015.jpg

This is Coran, arguably the "better" of the two Fighter/Thieves. His 20 Dexterity make him a thieving and ranged attack machine, and he only needs Strength for backstabs, of which he'll have plenty of giant strength potions to make use of. His Constitution is a little crappy, but that too can be amended with potions of fortitude at level up.

jack2s.jpg
: And now we at least have a thief...

bglp016.jpg

The party travels deeper into the Cloakwood, into the spider's nest area. The enemies include spiders, ettercaps, spiders, and more spiders. Poison is a danger, as are Web traps, of which all the enemies in this area are immune to.

bglp017.jpg

jack2s.jpg
: A magical sword, huh? I'll take the case!

bglp018.jpg

Remember what I said about Web traps? They're everywhere here...and Coran's Find Traps skill isn't exactly up to snuff.

bglp021.jpg

bglp022.jpg

Spiders! Sleep, Entangle, and Stinking Cloud are all used here to hold them off. It even catches the nasty sword spider that was in the group. Those buggers don't have poison, but move very quickly, strike many times a round, and deal a lot of damage. Entangling it neutralizes a big threat.

bglp023.jpg

The group runs into some Ettercaps.

jack2s.jpg
: Bring down the lightning!

Call Lightning, the level 3 Druid spell, is pretty great as far as single enemy damage spells go. It usually deals a lot of damage, and it's electrical damage, which few things resist. The downsides are that it only hits one enemy every 6 or so rounds (making it good for prolonged engagements) and may only be cast outdoors.

bglp024.jpg

jack2s.jpg
: Spiderdome; two parties enter, one party leaves.

bglp025.jpg

jack2s.jpg
: It's an honest question...

bglp026.jpg

Shepard's crew start things off with a bang, using both a Necklace of Missiles and a Potion of Explosions to stack two fireballs on top of each other. They weaken Centeol enough that Shepard, Minsc, and Coran can quickly finish her before she can even get a single spell off.

bglp027.jpg

They then follow up with two stacked Stinking Clouds as well as an Entangle, catching the spiders up close, including the sword spiders, and knocking out the Ettercaps and spiders in the back.

bglp029.jpg

bglp030.jpg

This allows the crew to easily mop up, without any casualties.

bglp032.jpg

jack2s.jpg
: CHA-CHING!

Here the party finds a normal ring, a cursed ring, a wand of frost, the body of that guy's brother, and Spider's Bane, a phenomenal two-handed sword (a +2 weapon that provides free-action, that is, it prevents the user from being held, entangled, webbed, slowed, hasted, or anything else that would affect movement).

bglp033.jpg

More spiders, more lightning.

bglp034.jpg

jack2s.jpg
: That's good...because I wasn't planning on giving it back.

bglp035.jpg

The group brawls with a bunch of phase spiders, one of the deadlier breeds, seeing as they have poison that deals 2 damage a second, and they have the ability to teleport short distances. Often they will end up right behind your lines, sinking their fangs into your mage(s).

bglp036.jpg

After the spider onslaught, the next area is relatively boring. Essentially it's a druid grove, except the encounters with the druids aren't particularly interesting as they only show up one by one. Some scripted animal companion summons could have gone a long way here.

bglp037.jpg

bglp038.jpg

COWABUNGA! Check the textual tsunami out. This is Eldoth, a joinable NPC. He's a bard, which pretty much makes him a total PoS character, but he does have a few perks. First off, he has the special ability to make a certain amount of custom poisoned crossbow bolts. They are decent, but only he can use them. Second, having him in the party is the only way to get Skie to join up with the group. Although, Skie is essentially a watered down Imoen, whose thieving skills will pretty much be set by the time you have her, and likely on things useless to the party (pickpocket/stealth). Finally, if you have Eldoth and Skie in the party, you can collect a shit-ton of ransom money. It's pretty much the only reason to even consider having them join.

bglp039.jpg

The one friendly druid in this area. Well...they all are normally friendly but...you'll see.

He gives Shepard and crew a useful anti-magic potion.

bglp040.jpg

jack2s.jpg
: So wait...this Shadow Druid recognizes Jaheira as one of Seniyad's group, but Seniyad himself didn't? What the fuck?

bglp041.jpg

jack2s.jpg
: You've got to be kidding me...

bglp042.jpg

Somehow this druid actually gets off a Hold Person spell. He still dies easily.

bglp043.jpg

This is Faldorn, another joinable NPC. She's a pure druid, and also purely useless. Jaheira is pretty much better in almost every way. The only thing Faldorn has going is a nifty Dread Wolf summoning ability once per day. Unfortunately, it's not worth Jaheira's better stats and better fighting capability.

bglp044.jpg

jack2s.jpg
: Oh look...a veritable "tree mansion"...I thought these hippie types were all about sustainability...

bglp045.jpg

jack2s.jpg
: Big surprise...

The "Shadow Archdruid" is pretty much all talk, having very little ability in combat. He'll try to cast a spell, but ends up getting sliced and diced. It's kind of a shame they didn't think of something a little more interesting to give this guy for abilities.

bglp046.jpg

bglp047.jpg

Here's a guy training some baby wyverns, and trying to get people away from them.

bglp048.jpg

bglp049.jpg

Shepard and crew use a Charm Person spell on him to make it so he takes the brunt of the wyvern's attacks. Baby wyverns don't hit as hard, as often, or take as much damage, but they do pack them same poison as the big ones; a brutal 5 points of damage a second.

bglp050.jpg

Time to head into wyvern country....

bglp051.jpg

But before that even happens, the party is waylaid along the way.

jack2s.jpg
: Just some wyverns and a spider, huh? No problem...

Let's just say I forgot wyverns were immune to Web....

bglp052.jpg

jack2s.jpg
: Awwwww hell no! Rewind this!

bglp053.jpg

This time the crew makes it to the wyvern area of the Cloakwood, and the game shows this movie of a wyvern making off with a cow.

bglp054.jpg

However, the joy is shortly removed as the Hamadryad, a nasty wood spirit similar to Sirens. It takes over a few party members, a web trap goes off, and Imoen is held by it's rapid fire spellcasting. Oh...and some baby wyverns show up later. I think you can guess how this ends....

jack2s.jpg
: Enough is enough! I've had it with these motherfucking wyverns and this motherfucking nymph! Time to open up a can of whoop-ass! Let's do this shit again!

bglp056.jpg

Wyverns again. This time with two more spiders. Not to worry, Dynaheir summons some dogs and wolves to serve as fodder for the wyverns, while Imoen and Jaheira unload powerful offensive magic.

bglp058.jpg

bglp059.jpg

jack2s.jpg
: Much better.

bglp060.jpg

jack2s.jpg
: How do you like a taste of Hold Person?

bglp061.jpg

bglp062.jpg

jack2s.jpg
: Guards...we must be getting close to the mine.

After dispatching the guards, Shepard's band goes into a large cave.

bglp063.jpg

Some fireballs, a Stinking Cloud, and a Wand of Paralyzation shot open up the fight in the wyvern den.

bglp064.jpg

Jaheira casts a Bless spell to buff up the party, while Dynaheir and Imoen fire off barrages with their wands. The warriors concentrate on holding the line.

bglp065.jpg

And the wyverns fall.

bglp066.jpg

Loot time!

jack2s.jpg
:Check out that huge wyvern corpse. Now THAT would be a fight!

bglp067.jpg

The crew continues on, towards the Cloakwood Mines.

Next time; Shepard and crew blitz the enemy stronghold in the mines.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Fun. I really liked the overland travel game in Baldur's Gate and the wide repertoire of recruitable NPC. It's almost as if the devs acknowledge that you may get some party members insta-gibbed during adventure and provided replacements handy.

Now I really want to replay this. :( Should I DosBox it ?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Just to help scroll the page..

This reminded me once when I also changed Imoen at 5th level (forgetting in BGII she dual classed at 7th level thief).

Fuck that was brutal. I'm playing it right now, but will change her over at 7th, which might make TotSC a bit nasty, depending on when I head there.

PrzeSzkoda

Augur
Project: Eternity
Time to go Shepard on their asses.

Actually, decided to play 'em BeeGees for a spell. Got bored soloing BG1 with an Assassin (using TuTu) - too repetetive for my tastes (hide in shadows, backstab, run, hide in shadows... meh), although that poisoned dagger sold by Taerom in Beregost + assassin's poison ability were very munchkin.

Then I loaded up some BeeGee 2, and am playing it solo (call me a repressed homosexual, but I somehow dislike parties in my Infinity Engine games) with a Wild Mage. Frggin' hilarious. F. i. the wild magic thingy changed my wizard's appearance to pure gold, and not even Restoration can dispel that.

Eldritch

Scholar
Man, I had high hopes for Buttmunch at the time but he had been waylaid by enemies and could not defend himself. :(

Motherfucker Shepard made me dig up the old shit again and I've never played any of the BG games with mods. After a brief vanilla run which gave me a brain embolism I gave "The Fields of the Dead" a shot since I couldn't be arsed to delete the game, do a full install of both BG1+2 and try out the "Sword Coast Stratagems" that needs this BGTuTu contraption to run. Fields of the Dead seems pretty pedantic with the 2nd Ed rules with all the redundant shiii-it like racially sized armour and ridiculously nerfed bows. I kinda liked the new spells and the improved enemy AI so far though.

Getting the "Friends" spell at the beginning served my elven motherfucker shepardion fighter/mage get dat ass expensive 'quipment p. early in the game for extremely reduced prices... 26 Ch FTW!!!

PrzeSzkoda

Augur
Project: Eternity
Ayup, nymp cloak + firends = l3wt. You can even generally disregard the Reputation thingy, and it's more fun (for me at least) to be a really Extreme Shepard. Killing Thalantyr and his flesh golems for lulz (he's piss-easy for any decent fighter and/or thief, best to off the golems by backstabbing them), and that uptight mayor of Beregost for XPs (he's a tough cookie, though, but if you can stop him from casting spells, and can protect yourself from the dire charms those sirine hookers cast, you're set). Can't beat that. B)

Eldritch

Scholar
I don't get this Fields of the Dead mod. It sure has its positive elements but I just don't see the point in trying to get an exact, pedantic rendition of the 2nd Ed rules in a simplistic medium like IE Baldur's Gate.

Longbows and Shortbows are absolutely identical in this mod because the only real difference seems to be the range in tabletop 2nd Ed iirc and since ya can't implement the difference between their ranges in BG where its always fairly short and doesn't matter, they're basically rendered the same thing. Why the fuck should I bother for a longbow then? Bows are supposed to be the superior ranged weapons you get to use if you're a fighter type in this RTwP game that was supposed to be an ADnD version of Warcraft II at the time and that's it. What is the point for this exact implementation of 2nd ed rules that doesn't even work for *this* vidya game other than useless nerdy wankery?

WTF is the point for having racially sized armour types other than serving as nothing more than a motherfucking nuisance?

When will the Motherfucker Shepard dual-grab Drizzt's collar?

Why is the Star of David shaped like a ninja throwing star?

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
You missed out on the optional extra dialogue that you get if you Charm Person the spider lady, Centeol. :(

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom