Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed Thievan in the Night - an Age of Decadence demo tale

Esquilax

Arcane
Are you fucking serious?

Cassidy

Arcane
Bah, playing a PC as Liberal is such a waste.

Garrett doesn't join guilds. He prefers working alone even if at a higher risk, and when the guilds have a problem with that, he just wipe them clean of all valuables in revenge for yet another failed assassination attempt against him. He would fit more as a drifter with thieving skills and stats.

Hellraiser

Arcane
So a superior Übermensch tells ya that 42 is the max check at lockpick and you go ahead to 45, yes?
IS THAT SO SUNSHINE?!

Maximum thievan bro.

Well that and I also wanted to show that without knowing the *exact* check requirements, but by using common fucking sense regarding what skills are thief skills you can still complete the demo as a thief and do most of the quest content.

Most because I obviously missed the opportunity to steal from Feng and forgot to kill the bandit camp. Although I have a feeling that with 0 points invested in dodge and low bow skills that might have ended up a little harder than anticipated.

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer
Most because I obviously missed the opportunity to steal from Feng and forgot to kill the bandit camp. Although I have a feeling that with 0 points invested in dodge and low bow skills that might have ended up a little harder than anticipated.

You mean that you haven't solved the bandit camp? Even with the help from Cado?

Pope Amole II

Developer
Yeah, after you travel back with their demands and talk with Dellar, you can go straight to Cado and get his help by either paying him (boring) or doing an extra thievan job for him (in the process of which you can learn some alchemy).

Pope Amole II

Developer
Oh, and you should've bought the ring from Feng, btw - with high enough streetwise (and alchemy? I'm not sure if, to maximize your sp gain, you shouldn't delay feng until you've had Cado help with you with raiders) you can peddle it to Antidas for 5 sp.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Thievan2-081.jpg

:rage:

A craftan check has denied Liberal his prize! Craftan is not thievan! :x
:lol:
Hilarious, VD is a master troll. Has any glorious codexer ever opened the chest?

Pope Amole II

Developer
:lol:
Hilarious, VD is a master troll. Has any glorious codexer ever opened the chest?

Of course - since most self-respecting thieves usually start with 10 dex and 10 int, it's not that hard to open. The whole scene needs, like 40 or so sneaking, 40 traps, high enough perception (don't know exact number - I go with 8), 40 crafting and 40 lore (maybe even lesser requirements - I know that I've succeeded with forties). Reward is a scroll with the proper activation rituals for flying chariot that is obviously useless in the demo. Also, there's no additional sp reward (which is decline if you ask me).

Hellraiser

Arcane
Wait there is also a lore check after that?

Holy fuck Vince that is some master trolling! :hero:

Still I can see how such a reward could be worth all that, the problem is though that unless there is another way to get that scroll. You only get one shot at getting the scroll, because you can't sneak into the palace again (and you have to meet antidas, or get killed trying, once you sneak into the palace proper, there is no going back) as you can see below:

Thievan2-093.jpg

I guess there *may* be another way to acquire it in the full game if the scroll is relevant in some way.

Still I actually like the trolling Vince did with skill checks in AoD. It is refreshing after all the inconsequential skill checks in recent titles. Like DA:O.

Cassidy

Arcane
Once I buy the full AoD I'll give my first shot with a combat-centered Loremaster. The High Lords Magical Power Armor that will be available in some ruins(I saw some screenshots in ITS) is just too good to lose because of not being one.

I think Loremasters will have lots of opportunities to get some really, really good equipment others cannot and they can fit well as ranged fighters.

Hellraiser

Arcane
Definitely, my loremaster was a really good bowman. Not good enough to be useful in the IG tower quest (going up is suicidal and the melee range teleport down means he's gonna get raped), but good enough to kill the bandit camp. That is kind of the only problem I had with him, didn't really know which faction to pick with him. I think I'll join the commercium next time. Maybe the hitmen could work with him as well. I think I'll try that after I finish this, but I doubt I'll LP it.

Pope Amole II

Developer
Definitely, my loremaster was a really good bowman. Not good enough to be useful in the IG tower quest (going up is suicidal and the melee range teleport down means he's gonna get raped)

Wow, what were your stats? I mean, my praetor crossbowman, who was the crossbowman only by the grace of not being to use anything else having s 4 dex 6 con 4 per 8 Int 10 Cha 8), managed to get through the storm of upper tower (by firing, like, 2 crossbow bolts and then just hiding behind a conveniently brought tower shield, just distracting those archers), so it should be doable with pretty much any character.

Hellraiser

Arcane
Yeah but you no doubt convinced one guy to bait arrows while the rest charges the top, mine kind of lacked the CHA IIRC. Basically the one guy you lose to arrows by not being the decoy yourself (or convincing somebody else to do that) costs you that fight from what I can notice.

Pope Amole II

Developer
Yeah but you no doubt convinced one guy to bait arrows while the rest charges the top, mine kind of lacked the CHA IIRC. Basically the one guy you lose to arrows by not being the decoy yourself (or convincing somebody else to do that) costs you that fight from what I can notice.

Well, yeah, but if you don't have even 6 cha, that means your combat stats should be bigger (dex at least 8, I guess, maybe even some con) so perhaps you can try to throw some nets and then run around them in best armour you can scrounge and with the tower shield (which is decent even without good block stat).

Hellraiser

Arcane
Chapter III

More than just a *mere* thievan.

Previously on Thievan in the Night!

Liberal meets a very persuasive kebab salesman...

zaeed.jpg
: The other two ugly bastards no doubt shat their pants on the spot. So they started running. I lobbed a grenade at them. Never knew batarians had so many guts inside of their bodies.

liberal.jpg
: Seriously bro, how is this disgusting shit supposed to make me fucking hungry and willing to buy your fucking kebab?

He gets +2 to Thievan LARP by aquiring new armor...

Thievan2-048.jpg

He has strange visions of events and people that seem familiar...

maximillianajax.jpg
: I *am* loyal to my homeland. The government betrayed *me*, after it first betrayed the noble ideals upon which *my* homeland was built.

glyphwrishvili.jpg
: Bah! Your people are fucking slavers and imperialist scum, what "noble" ideals you might have? I will not rest until you all burn.

He uses his near maximum thievan to steal lots of valuables from the palace. Then he gets trolled by a crafting skill check out of all things...

Thievan2-081.jpg

:rage:

Finally Liberal decides to investigate the aurelian mining outpost for Dellar and house Daratan...

Thievan2-109.jpg

And now the continuation...

Thievan2-110.jpg

liberal.jpg
: I will become one with the shadows. These fools won't even know I was here. :smug:

Thievan2-111.jpg

Suprisingly unlike the palisade around the palace this is only a DEX check and not a combo DEX STR check.

Thievan2-112.jpg

After breaking into a palace in broad daylight and remaining unnoticed this isn't even hard.

Thievan2-113.jpg

Fear not dear Hivemind! For this is not a Wellerian Choice! Liberal will survive.

Thievan2-114.jpg

See? Liberal failed the check but he didn't get maimed, burned, impaled, crucified or otherwise killed... yet.

Thievan2-115.jpg

Vince&co in their mercy spared Liberal from certain unavoidable death within the Iron Tower Ultimate Action System(tm) and gave him an opportunity to use his thievan talents.

Thievan2-116.jpg

It better not be radioactive, last thing Liberal needs is cancer.

Thievan2-117.jpg

Thievan2-118.jpg

liberal.jpg
: 100 jewgold?! I've seen cheap Russian whores getting payed more for a blowjob!

Thievan2-119.jpg

Thievan2-120.jpg

Archeran and trapan are inclined further.

Thievan2-121.jpg

Thievan2-122.jpg

Liberal searches for adventure near the commercium's hall of zionism and greed. :M

Thievan2-123.jpg

Thievan2-124.jpg

liberal.jpg
: Of course good sir! I am definitely in the market for cheap illegal goods, it comes with the job description.

Thievan2-125.jpg

liberal.jpg
: FUCK!

Now actually fighting those two guys isn't hard, with a melee weapon and some dodge or block. All you need to do is run into the small room in the side and use the doorway as a chockepoint to fight them one by one.

If you kill them, you can kill Militiades or let him tell you of this great offer of his. Basically he tells you a noble will come soon and bring jewgold for some gems Militiades obviously did not have.

When the noble arrives though, he tells you that he already payed him and *you* were supposed to give him the gems. Naturally this ends in a fight unless you persuade him otherwise.

Killing the noble and his two guards is actually quite rewarding because the noble has a steel gladius IIRC. That and you get some more loot and 3 SP.

However Liberal cannot into close-quarters combat therefore he bails.

Thievan2-126.jpg

Thievan2-127.jpg

Thievan2-128.jpg

Liberal teleports back to the thievan guild and sells his hard earned loot.

Thievan2-129.jpg

liberal.jpg
: The best stolen armor a thievan can acquire in Teron and I'm only getting less than 1000 jewgold? Fuck you Kleitos!

Thievan2-130.jpg

There it is, the final component! Liberal equips his new thievan cloak and achieves MAXIMUM THIEVAN...

Thievan2-131.jpg

liberal.jpg
: I... I can feel the thievan... its power is majestic!

ascension.jpg

liberal.jpg
: What... what is happening?! ARGHHH!!!

ascension2.jpg

liberalwithmaximumthievan.jpg
: I... am reborn.

cado.jpg
: Liberal? What just happened to you? You look... different.

: Liberal is dead.

cado.jpg
: Yet you are standing right in front of me...

: I have become Glyphwright, master thievan of the many worlds.

Thievan2-132.jpg

: My name is Glyphwright you fucking inferior thievan!

Thievan2-133.jpg

This is the first *proper* thieves guild quest. Now the thievan Liberal did in the opening vignette does not count. This is the task Cado gives to any PC that can join the thieves guild. If you already joined another "guild" (the Imperial Guard counts as one) you cannot join the thieves guild.

AFAIK your character is not considered a member by AoD as long as you do not complete the first quest.

Thievan2-134.jpg

Thievan2-135.jpg

Thievan2-136.jpg

Thievan2-137.jpg

: No doubt the corrupt Russian Oligarchs are behind this most disgusting move.

Thievan2-138.jpg

This is the common persuasion and streetwise combo check I was talking about in one of the previous updates.

Thievan2-139.jpg

Bribing and getting information from these two guards is also part of the first proper Commercium quest. Although the goal in it is a bit different.

Now unfortunately the legendary charms of Liberal prevent him from doing this the easy diplomatic way.

Thievan2-140.jpg

Talking to the guards again doesn't yield any useful results.

Thievan2-141.jpg

Liberal returns to Cado who is emotionally engaged in some merchant diplomacy(tm).

Thievan2-142.jpg

A few things about this part. For one if your stats are sufficient you can suggest to Cado to forge a document.

That option is hidden with insufficient INT or crafting, it is definitely an INT check because the tag appears before the dialog choice.

It is also possibly a hidden crafting check because that is the only skill that I leveled on my other thievan (who had only one more INT than liberal).

Which makes sense because you need to get an old document with Antidas' seal (Feng can sell you one for 50 imperials), then write the document and apply the seal from Feng's document to your new document.

I also believe you can solve this by pursuing the "guard captain with a debt" path. With the other thievan he even got a journal quest entry about it, Liberal was not intelligent enough to get it I believe.

Thievan2-143.jpg

Unfortunately due to Liberal's not so great social skills we has to do this the hard way.

Thievan2-144.jpg

Thievan2-146.jpg

The guards are willing to reconsider out bribe offer. Tradan is not thievan so guess how that goes...

Thievan2-147.jpg

: By demanding such a high sum you deny food to the starving Georgian children in Ossetia. I hope you fuckers get mutated tuberculosis in a Russian prison, after the Russian inmates sodomize you and give you AIDS.

Thievan2-148.jpg

Jewgold pleases the guards.

Thievan2-149.jpg

Thievan2-151.jpg

Thievan2-152.jpg

This is just before the point of no return, Liberal should have done at least two other things now but I forgot or did not know about them.

Thievan2-154.jpg

Thievan2-155.jpg

Maximum trapan! Also archeran is inclined as is stealan.

Thievan2-156.jpg

Thievan2-157.jpg

Thievan2-158.jpg

: Think of all the potato we could buy with it!

Thievan2-159.jpg

Thievan2-160.jpg

So Antidas is plotting against the Imperial Guards eh? That sure is going to bite him in the ass if you ask me.

Thievan2-161.jpg

: I have gazed into the very fabric of thievan and saw Michael Bay. He gave me an idea, one that will ensure our thievan operation goes smoothly.

Thievan2-162.jpg

Thievan2-163.jpg

The point of no return itself, if you pick 1) it kicks off the Teron endgame for the Thieves Guild.

Thievan2-164.jpg

Hand-holding the player like he was some kind of consoletard by asking him twice? :decline:

Thievan2-165.jpg

: The thievan spirit of Michael Bay is with me. This cannot fail inferior thievan!

Thievan2-166.jpg

:smug:

Thievan2-167.jpg

The Michael Bay solution to the merchant problem works like a charm. Trapan *is* thievan :smug:

Bros, here is another shitty quality video epic recording of the MAJESTIC combat that took place.

As always you can just read the content below which has the excerpts of it.

Thievan2-170.jpg

: I am one with the arrow, archeran is thievan.

Thievan2-171.jpg

Mercenary is hit in ass and leg for crappy damage. However he is crippled, not bad for a 42% accuracy shot.

Thievan2-173.jpg

: Your end is near!

Thievan2-174.jpg

: :rage:

Thievan2-175.jpg

I made the bad choice of going for the kill by using two fast attacks instead of shooting him once and retreating.

This caused the other guard to go after Liberal instead of the NPC meatshields. Fortunately one of the thievan guild bros knocked the merc down with his crossbow.

Liberal goes for the kill while aiming for the head...

Thievan2-176.jpg

:yeah: kill stealing like a pro (you don't get SP if allied NPCs kill enemies, you need to be the one dealing the killing blow)

Thievan2-177.jpg

A 38% chance for a precise shot hitting. Liberal attempts it...

Thievan2-178.jpg

: My aim is augmented by maximum thievan asswipe!

Another pro kill steal by Liberal! :salute:

Liberal's thievan bros quickly mop up the remaining mercs thus achieve sweet victory.

Thievan2-179.jpg

IIRC the bottom of the text was just a "reputation gained, SP gained, jewgold gained" text.

Thievan2-180.jpg

Liberal has gained the "explosion expert" trait. Michael Bay would be proud, if he wasn't busy turning Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles into aliens.

Thievan2-181.jpg

Archeran is inclined along with lockpickan and a few points in stealan. Liberal will need that archeran soon as you will see in the next and final Chapter of thievan in the night.

Chapter III will feature angry mobs, lots of archeran and fightan, the consequences that Liberal's actions had on Teron and postapocalyptic not-Rome along with the conclusion of the LARP meta-plot that nobody cares about.

Hopefully I'll post it within the next two days and finish this before leaving for the southern depths of potato land on friday.

Cassidy

Arcane
Disguise or a sneak higher than 40 allows you to avoid a lot of combat in the final quest of the Thieves Guild in the demo.

Although I think you already know that.

Hellraiser

Arcane
Speaking of disguise you reminded me of something I forgot to mention in the LP. With sufficient stats or something you can learn from the two gate guards that there is a a shipment of good coming into Teron in a few hours. To steal it you need to pass a combo [steal] [disguise] check. Otherwise you need to pass a DEX check to run away, the alternative is not doubt certain death in true Iron Tower fashion. I don't know if I'm a masochist or something but I actually enjoy Sierra-style death if you fuck up. Granted it is still not as sadistic as Sierra ever was. Still, it is a nice change from the popamole no consequence checks that you can keep trying to do over and over again.

Overall even with all of it's flaws I will definitely buy Iron Tower's vaporware as soon as it is actually out and I'll have the jewgold. Sure the writing may not be the best, but the quests and faction conflicts are really nicely designed.

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
Yeah, with high disguise and steal you can get the Imperial Guard mandate and perform Awesome Feats of Impersonation (TM) to avoid all but 1 combat (which your thief friends win for you, I've "won" it twice by just standing out of enemy range and hitting end turn). Smooth as fuck. Alas, Liberal's lot is a shootan one, full of barbed arrows and brimstone...

Hellraiser

Arcane
It is more fun this way, the combat is enjoyable as long as you don't get into suicidal fights. Like I said, thievan and fightan need to be in equilibrium. Especially after all the thievan in the mines and palace.

At any rate the next fight(s) will be available in 1280x800 which is the same resolution as the screenshots, apparently the fraps recordings in full resolution were not as big as I thought they would be. If I knew that before I would have recorded the other 2 in full resolutions as well. So no more shitty and blurry videos, AoD is a HD nextgen title after all.

:troll:

Skittles

He ruins the fun.
Yeah, with high disguise and steal you can get the Imperial Guard mandate and perform Awesome Feats of Impersonation (TM) to avoid all but 1 combat (which your thief friends win for you, I've "won" it twice by just standing out of enemy range and hitting end turn). Smooth as fuck. Alas, Liberal's lot is a shootan one, full of barbed arrows and brimstone...

You can avoid them all if you've played your cards right. :)

Spoiler below:

For TGII, you can forge a letter from the Commercium with a sufficient INT (>7?) and PER (>=6) plus a decent disguise and persuasion (sorry, I usually run through at about 50, so I don't know the specific values). Then, sneak 50 will let you get all the gold.

For TGIII, a good enough streetwise (I think I get by with ~40) will let you avoid the first fight. The second will depend on how you solved TGI--if you bribed the guards, you have to pass a perception check and streetwise, then pass a two disguise checks for fights three and four (streetwise, I think, if you fail the second). If you didn't, you can use either the IG mandate (if you stole it) or the Daratan signet ring (if you conned Antidas with Feng and didn't sell it). This option has a third fight against a merc. company that can be bypassed with streetwise and trading.
There may be more--I've never leaned on Flavius in TGI, for example.
But a no-combat completion of the TG line is entirely possible.

Hellraiser

Arcane
It is definitely 8 INT minimum and 6 PER since that is what my other thief had.

Also, one minor complaint. While I do not mind spoiler in this LP, DU implemented spoiler tags recently. Use them when necessary :salute:

see?

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron

Yeah, I was going with non-bribed gate guards and the stolen imperial mandate, but failed the streetwise check at the gate. All other combats were avoided with high disguise and a dash of critical strikes.

Final check quote: "Son, we're the fucking army. We aren't in business of satisfying curiosities and being good neighbours. Someone stole your gold? Guard it better next time. Now, we both know that if you set your apes on us, they will be hunted down and nailed to trees before the month is over, so do yourself a favour and stand aside." :love:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom