Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 3 Pre-Expansion Thread

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
Yeah, there's nothing of value in any of those places. There are a couple of islands that are worth exploring, but that's about it. Exploring the sea just feels like work and gives you nothing in return, unless you think that getting yet another Kaedweni Gambeson or Skellige Longsword is worth fighting the same trash mobs over and over and over and over again.

Paul_cz

Arcane
I disabled the markers about 2 hours into the game. It's a shame they are enabled by default.

jaelkeiset

Educated
Yeah, first thing I did was turning all those indicators off, also I use a mod which only shows the minimap when Witcher senses are used.
I now started playing and loving it. Story and world building. Combat not so much. Visited Novigrad rather soon than late, great city, but my first thoughts were: Is it empty? So many "locked" doors, so few people you can interact with? May change depending on quests I have done.
Another thought: Walking in peoples homes and stealing all stuff out of buildings without consequences is bad.
But hey. Big love for the stories and athmosphere. I'm currently at the very emotional blood baron story, "Family business". Brilliant. I want personalities like those in computer games.

I hate how in every language names are different without need.
Roach = Plötze
Gwent = Gwint
White Orchard = Weissgarten
Geralt of RIVIA= Geralt von RIVA

Makes searching and talking in international interwebbs harder.

bonescraper

I hate how in every language names are different without need.
Roach = Plötze
That's correct.
Gwent = Gwint
Here the english version is actually replaced with its proper Polish name.
White Orchard = Weissgarten
I don't see what's wrong with this either.

Makes searching and talking in international interwebbs harder.
Then why the fuck are you even playing the localized version? And German, of all things? :lol:

jaelkeiset

Educated
Yes of course German :D We are soccer world champions, Poland is gaming developer world champion now. And it's good, many people now hear from that small country for the first time :D

Roach=Plötze is OK
Gwent/Gwint: I think it is simply unnecessary that translations differ here. So "Gwint" is in the polish (i.e., the truth) name?
White Orchard != Weissgarten(=White Garden)

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Why is the original name of Vengerberg (capital of Aedirn) in fact Vengerberg, whereas the capital of Redania, Dreiberg, is named Tretogor originally? Terrible. Really Poland, y u no be consistent? Give the cities proper German names and all is good.

bonescraper

Yes of course German :D We are soccer world champions, Poland is gaming developer world champion now. And it's good, many people now hear from that small country for the first time :D
But you're the one complaining about localizations. I play all my games in English except for some few Polish games that deal with history or stuff that just sound odd in English.

Gwent/Gwint: I think it is simply unnecessary that translations differ here. So "Gwint" is in the polish (i.e., the truth) name?
Yes, Gwint is the original name. All things should be translated from the original source, not from other translations, even if English is the most played language version.

White Orchard != Weissgarten(=White Garden)
That's the beauty of German language. I'd rather have Weissgarten (not literal, but doesn't take away much meaning) than Weissobstgarten, or whatever you can come up with you silly Germans.

Rinderkennzeichnungs- und Rindfleischetikettierungsüberwachungsaufgabenübertragungsgesetz anyone?

Last edited by a moderator:

Animal

Savant
Shitposter
I think all languages should be archived and english be the only one in usage in the whole world.

jaelkeiset

Educated
Why is the original name of Vengerberg (capital of Aedirn) in fact Vengerberg, whereas the capital of Redania, Dreiberg, is named Tretogor originally? Terrible. Really Poland, y u no be consistent? Give the cities proper German names and all is good.
No, what you are saying is not what I was saying. I say, if possible, leave the original polish names in the translations. If that is not possible (e.g. polishczszyszkwiszy could be... clunky... for foreign tongues), make them as similar as possible for other languages. I mean, Gwint/Gwent, this really is not necessary.

Beautiful. A bit long maybe :D. We can compete with the finnish..
But now all language disabled Germans (they are confused) use spaces as english speakers do. And they are many. Only a few care, I do. It's wrong. Example. "RPG Watch", in two words, would sound like "Hey RPG, watch out". But germans are grammatically disabled and do not recognize. It's a sad downward spiral.

Last edited:

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
CD Projekt has revelead that Witcher 3 sold six million copies until the end of June.

Their operating income has increased from 75M to 512M PLN (~$20M to ~$130M) on a year-to-year basis, with the profit increasing from 4.6M to 236M PLN (!).

1945987696-600x566.png

Frozen

Arcane
They should give us enhanced edition.
The thing that bugs me is that intro on commercials has "Temeria 1272" after the first scene of horse beheading guy shouting and in game there is only black screen.
Start from there and work up making Eredin less of a one liner douche.

Toffeli

Atomkrieg, ja bitte
Patron
Wasteland 2
I might be a little tipsy, but fuck, how beautiful this game really is. I finished it already over a 2 months ago, started new game beginning of this month with a new pc. Just amazing to just stroll around during thunderstrom in the wheat fields of Novigrad, waiting the storm to slowly pass away, feels almost like real.
I8QlqUVh.jpeg

Eirikur

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
An Open Letter from the Head of CD Projekt Red

Hey Gamers!

Time does fly! These few months since launch passed faster than you can say potestaquisitor. We’ve been hard at work delivering you new content, fixing what needed to be fixed, and secretly plotting how to rock this boat we call the RPG genre even more. We’ve just concluded our shareholder conference where we announced that The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt family got a bit bigger -- we sold over 6 million copies of the game in six weeks since launch. Worry not, I won’t discuss any financial stuff here. I would, however, like to give you some insight on what that means to us as game creators.

One could think we have six million reasons to be happy and that’s it. We do, but that number is also a big responsibility and I want everyone to know that we, as a studio, realize that. For us, all your high praise, all the positive reviews, are also an obligation -- we’ve made a really good game but there’s still a long road ahead of us. Everyone here in CD PROJEKT RED is really attached to their work and how you, the gamers, perceive it. RED is full of artists, wild dreamers and people crazy about what they do (and sometimes just plain crazy). We lose sleep over that particular colour the sun has when it sets over Velen, and argue over arranging the furniture in a house the majority of gamers will probably never see. We’re not the kind of people who are easily satisfied and we always strive for more. I’d like you to know that.

Yes, six million copies is a great achievement for a company making RPGs, but this business is not only about that. If our games are a gallery of sound, picture and text - you are the visitors of this gallery. To an artist, there’s no sweeter sight than people enjoying their work. That’s why, in the name of all the devs in the studio, I’d like to say thanks to each and every one of you.

Thanks!

Adam Badowski,
Head of Studio
CD PROJEKT RED

Hmm, wait what...

One could think we have six million reasons to be happy

So... many... dark jokes spinning around in my head right now. Must... resist.

:shredder:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/116...xpansion-almost-done-pax-panel-recording.html

While it didn't really have much to announce compared to, for example, BioWare, CD Projekt RED still had a presence at PAX Prime and even a panel, which thankfully was streamed on Twitch. The first part of the panel can be found at this link (starts at 37:08 with a trailer for The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt) and continues at this link.

The panelists were Twitch streamer "CohhCarnage", who asked a series of questions concerning the writing process to translator and English writer Travis Currit and senior writer (and novelist) Jakub Szamalek, who both work at CD Projekt RED. Most of the panel concentrated on the writing and translating process at the company and focused on the difficulties of adapting a series of novel to the videogame format, but there are a couple of snippets that are arguably more mainstream and newsworthy.

While replying to the questions from those who attended the panel, Szamalek explained that the first expansion for The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, titled Heart of Stone, is "almost ready" and is shaping up to be really interesting. Also, when asked whether CD Projekt is planning to do a physical or digital stand-alone release of the Gwent minigame for The Witcher 3, he argued that he'd pass the idea to his superiors, but that Gwent fans have something to look forward in the future, though he didn't elaborate on what it is.

During the rest of the panel, both Currit and Szamalek talked at lengths about the difficulties of adapting a series of novels. Adapting the same story wouldn't really work because gamers want their choices to be acknowledged by the game, so CD Projekt decided early on to go with a sequel to Sapkwoski's novels, though even that wasn't easy because of the very definitive ending the Polish author wrote. Another difficulty comes from the lack of visual references, which made it difficult to come up with character designs that could properly satisfy all the fans of the series, who had been imagining these characters for a very long time and had very strong feelings of how they should look.

Speaking of characters, while Szamalek wasn't at the company at the time, he asked his colleagues about the reasons that led them to wait until The Witcher 3 to follow up on the fates of pivotal characters in the books such as Ciri and Yennefer. At the time, the company was afraid to be unable to do justice to the characters. Szamalek explains that, for example, Yennefer is a very complex character that mixes a cold personality with moments of real affection, and back when they were designing the first Witcher game, the writers weren't sure they'd be able to portray the character correctly.

That said, there were some positive aspects that came from adapting a novel series. The concept of the Witchers, roaming mutated monster hunters, lent itself very well to a videogame and provided an excellent starting point for the Polish designers. Additionally, because the series was so successful, CD Projekt had the confidence to carry on with the weirdest aspects of the plot. If the books hadn't been published and the CD Projekt's developers were forced to come up with the plot on their own, they might have been more hesitant.

Finally, when speaking about the game's translation, Currit argued that one of the issues that come with making a translation that feels too natural is that some players will inevitably forget that the game comes from a unique Polish perspective. Currit indirectly referenced an editorial from Tauriq Moosa for Polygon in which he argued that the game should be criticized for having an all-white cast when both the in-game universe and historical medieval Poland would have allowed for people of color to be included.

Currit argued that the game was based on the reality of modern Poland, which is overwhelmingly white in terms of population. From a Polish perspective, ethnic and racial divides and tensions aren't based on skin color, and that's why most characters, human or otherwise, are white in The Witcher 3 too. That said, Currit explained that he understands where the complaints came from, and that other countries have a much more diverse population that expects to be represented in videogames.

Gerrard

Arcane
Finally, when speaking about the game's translation, Currit argued that one of the issues that come with making a translation that feels too natural is that some players will inevitably forget that the game comes from a unique Polish perspective.
Especially when you consider most translations are based on the English version.
:mob:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom