Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 3 Pre-Expansion Thread

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Overall I had a good time finishing this game, but man, there are some really half ass systems in place here. Shit that only got worse from witcher 2. Dumb monster trophies with pointless little bonuses, legendary swords that kill gods, but its only level 11 so fuck that shit (this happens A LOT).

I thought Witcher 1 made it clear, if there's a silver sword laying around, its probably a big deal. Now its Amazon.com silver swords half off, buy 2 get 1 free. So much gamey shit. Crossbows underwater, sure why not.

I blame open world design.

The reason why TW1 is very good is probably because of it tighter design, so developer could design the experience more carefully.

Starwars

Arcane
I think the open world shit is what caused me to cease playing this (made it to... whatever that island was called, where Yennefer was). The open world is really beautiful and... that's about it. Aside from that, it's just pointless wankery feeding into a shitty leveling system.

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I slogged through witcher 1, replayed 2, now imported my save into 3 and for the life of me can't be arsed to play it.

Loving Witcher 3. Best AAA RPG I've played in close to a decade. I've got complaints, for sure, but they pale to the presentation and open quest design. I can see how people could play this without thinking, but I like how it is designed in a manner where thoughtful play (reading journals, investigating oddities by the roadside, researching monsters) can enrich the experience proportionally. Wonderful balance of accessibility and depth.

Just finished Velen at level 12. Moving on to Novigrad. Can't wait to see what they do with Cyberpunk.

Last edited:

Miner Arobar

Educated
Been playing this for the last few weeks after old laptop entered death throes and new laptop surprisingly can run it, after a fashion. Low settings with 1366x768. Looks great. I think I've found something that might cure me of my Morrowind addiction (not really, I'll get back to Morrowind eventually - but Witcher 3 is completely impressive). Annoyances are only that I'm not always quite sure what I'm doing in combat, dependence on quest markers (have turned minimap off but still have to occasionally find target on overland map) and the occasional ten-minute cutscene leading straight into boss fight with no way of saving, but that is all. In terms of world design - small peasant villages, Novigrad as a medieval city which actually looks and feels like a medieval city - and characters (e.g. the Baron, the Novigrad crime bosses, the swamp witches, the White Orchard Innkeeper, etc.), it's amazingly well done.

Old Hans

Arcane
as much as I enjoy the overland travel in this game, it feels like it's missing something. Dragon's Dogma really nailed exploration perfectly. I also find it really weird that Geralt can swim all over the ocean just as fast as a boat, but then again he controls like a boat.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
Czy dalej jest lepiej? Bo jesli tak samo to przelacze na angielski...

Ja nie zauważyłem tego problemu wcale w wersji PL, więc obawiam się, że dalej może nie być lepiej.

Also unrelated to this game thing: Why is poland called potatoland? While potato is popular I dont see how that makes us different from adjacent countries. To me onionland would fit way better...

Nowociota wykryta :smug:

Neanderthal

Arcane
Also unrelated to this game thing: Why is poland called potatoland? While potato is popular I dont see how that makes us different from adjacent countries. To me onionland would fit way better...

Got me confused an all, always called Micks that, cause o famine.

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
Lost my 1st play through save so started my 2nd one. This time started with polish language so I'll be able to compare...

And here is my question to people that finished the game in polish:
- Gdy slucham polskich lektorow to mam wrazenie ze ogladam dobranocke... Podczas sennego tutoriala mialem wrecz skojarzenia z pszczolka maja? Najgorszy chyba jest wezemir ktory to mowi... bardzo... powoli... Zupelnie jak ja w przedszkolu gdy uczylem sie czytac na glos. Czy dalej jest lepiej? Bo jesli tak samo to przelacze na angielski...

I don't know because I didn't have that feeling when playing the game. Just skip to some important moments during let's plays. IIRC correctly Wesemir do speak rather slowly most of the time (since he's so old) but he doesn't appear often. Didn't finish the game in English though.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Lost my 1st play through save so started my 2nd one. This time started with polish language so I'll be able to compare...

And here is my question to people that finished the game in polish:
- Gdy slucham polskich lektorow to mam wrazenie ze ogladam dobranocke... Podczas sennego tutoriala mialem wrecz skojarzenia z pszczolka maja? Najgorszy chyba jest wezemir ktory to mowi... bardzo... powoli... Zupelnie jak ja w przedszkolu gdy uczylem sie czytac na glos. Czy dalej jest lepiej? Bo jesli tak samo to przelacze na angielski...

My impressions of the English voice overs is equally bad. I'm playing with French audio & English subtitles myself, I find it rather good.

Speaking of voice overs, is the German version any good? In the other two games, perhaps? I might replay like that; it's what I've been doing with the Gothics these past few months. It's good exercise, I find, and a fun way to learn a lingo.

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
My impressions of the English voice overs is equally bad. I'm playing with French audio & English subtitles myself, I find it rather good.
It all makes sense too because it seems Temeria has French fleur-de-lys, Nilfgaard also seems to have French influences as well and Radonia has Polish coat of arms. Canon language is French :M

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
It all makes sense too because it seems Temeria has French fleur-de-lys, Nilfgaard also seems to have French influences as well and Radonia has Polish coat of arms. Canon language is French :M
Exactly, the same observations and conclusions I made. I'm feeling like I'm playing it in the right language :D On the other hand, I'd never play, say GTA V in any language than English, even if it had the worst voice acting ever.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Speaking of voice overs, is the German version any good? In the other two games, perhaps? I might replay like that; it's what I've been doing with the Gothics these past few months. It's good exercise, I find, and a fun way to learn a lingo.

IMO the german Geralt is much better than the english one. Less tryhard gravely voice that fits his character better. Rest of translation, apart from some small hiccups is also excellent.

Eirikur

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015

Another benefit of the excellent German version is that Dandelion actually sounds like Dandelion when he's narrating, and not like a morose old man.

Couldn't agree more with what you're doing. I played through the Gothic 1-2 in German multiple times, to supplement my own German studies. Highly effective. Definitely helped develop my ear for what sounds right.

Last edited:
Ah, much obliged, bros. I thought the books (only read the short stories yet) were pretty good in German, too, much better than in English. Will start with TW1, and see what there's to be seen.

Eirikur

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I did a full completionist 184-hour playthrough 3 months ago, and haven't played the game since (despite constant temptation). I've started planning the second playthrough now though, and intend to be as faithful as possible to the authentic Geralt from the novels.

Here's my observations so far, based on the four novels I've read (all that have been translated to English so far):
  • There's no Witcher's Code. It's a made-up concept that Geralt uses to avoid involving himself in situations he wants to avoid.
  • Neutrality isn't so essential after all. Geralt used to idolize neutrality, but he's changed his outlook. "Ciri was right. Neutrality... Neutrality is always contemptible."
  • Ciri, followed by Yenn, are the main motivating forces in Geralt's life. Little else matters.
  • The Scoia'tael are mostly trouble. Geralt has some sympathy, but he genereally ends up in situations where they attack either him or someone he cares about. He kills many in self-defense.
  • Never turn down hospitality, especially alcohol. If someone offers you a drink, you accept.
  • Observe proper protocol around nobility. Take a bow if you have to. Not because you respect them, but because it isn't worth the risk and trouble to refuse.
  • In terms of combat, mostly use fast attacks, dodging, and arrow deflection. As for magic, mostly use Aard and Quen. Alchemy is only used for very special encounters.
  • Geralt has no legitimate reason to think of Yenn as a bitch for not having contacted him earlier, when he meets her in W3. Not without having double standards, at least.
  • There's no reason to engage all hostile monsters you come across. Not unless there's a bounty on them. Witchers are mercenaries, not knight errants.
  • Don't kill rare intelligent creatures, even though they might be 'monsters'. Not all monsters are monsters. Unless they're a direct threat to humans, let them live.

Last edited:

Old Hans

Arcane
My current playthough, I'm using a few mods. x2 money reward, no selling items, remove 99% of the junk shit loot. It all makes a lot more sense when Geralt isn't stealing apples from everyone or selling 30 rusty swords to the baker. Now if there was an easy way to get rid of the absurd -/+ modifiers to monsters to high level or to low, it would be nice. Red skull monsters have something like 800% increase in damage.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom