Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 3 Pre-Expansion Thread

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
You know that the Wild Hunt is an actual thing, right? P. much everything in TW3 is mythology inspired.
No shit. Talking about the fact that they're both alien, kind of human-like beings that bring frost with them, also raiding human settlements and recruiting more people from them (although in different ways). The twist about TW's Wild Hunt is that it's actually not mythological but a much more mundane phenomenon (relatively speaking, of course).

bonescraper

Yeah and like, both settings have castles, knights mythological creatures and magic. It's called fantasy.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
So, your point is that... Sapkowski draws inspiration from mythology? That his books share similarities with GRRM's books since they're both medieval fantasy and share sources of inspiration beyond that (e.g. Norse mythology)? That the two settings are fundamentally very different despite having castles and magic and whatnot? Because I mentioned all that shit in the previous post.

Ringhausen

Augur
Well I'd say finding your adopted daughter as the main quest is better and different than I'm a fikkin badas special dragonborn save teh world shit from Bethesda but whatever the fuck.
Too bad that adopted daughter is the fikkin badas special dragonborn save teh world. And Geralt "Leave Eredin to me" is very much a fikkin badass special dragonborn himself.

FUDU

Arcane
God I love that awkward, uncomfortable kid in the background. Desperately need an emoticon that reflects his expression.

I think his expression is a subdued combination of disgust and pity.

VlSPDBd.jpg

He looks like Bobby Hill.

Malpercio

Arcane
I'm kinda confused by the Aen Elle thing now. WHO ARE THOSE PEOPLE

I also killed
one of the Wild Hunt generals and the 3 (2) crones
, kinda underwhelming.

Kudos for the Cont of Montecristo reference.

Frozen

Arcane

I also killed
one of the Wild Hunt generals and the 3 (2) crones
, kinda underwhelming.

Kudos for the Cont of Montecristo reference.

They are elves from another world. Basically the humans of that world, the dominant race.
The elves from the world of Geralt and them where once the same people but they split.
Wild Hunt are their special units for well....hunting. Hunting people for slaves, workforce or experiments because Aen Elle look at humans as wild animals or monkeys.

veevoir

Klytus, I'm bored
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech

Space trans-dimensional dark elves with a boner for destroying other worlds to sustain themselves. In books at least Ciri gets to witness a world or two where Aen Elle passed. Not a pretty place.
Oh, they also claim to do it in order to outrun the big white thing that consumes all.

Think of them as sophisticated locust. Also it is elvenfaggotry, needs to be eradicated anyway.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
So, your point is that... Sapkowski draws inspiration from mythology? That his books share similarities with GRRM's books since they're both medieval fantasy and share sources of inspiration beyond that (e.g. Norse mythology)? That the two settings are fundamentally very different despite having castles and magic and whatnot? Because I mentioned all that shit in the previous post.
GRRM books are basically English history from the 11th to 15th centuries, with dragons.
TW is a slavic mythology simulator.

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Patch 1.08 is out.

PERFORMANCE:
  • Overall improvements to performance, including some issues that may have been caused by 1.07.

UI:
  • [Japanese Only][PS4 Only] Fixes an issue where the background text of certain books would flicker.
  • Fixes an issue where part of the Kaer Morhen map would not display properly.

GAMEPLAY:
  • Fixes a rare issue where items would disappear from the stash.
  • Fixes a very rare issue which would cause Geralt to get stuck when trying to run.
  • The interaction pop-up will no longer appear on lootable objects that are empty.
  • Fixes an occasional glitch in one of the dwarf combat animations.
  • Heads chopped off during finishers will no longer disappear.
  • "Players can perform a roll just before landing to significantly reduce the damage caused by falling.
  • We've added a tutorial pop-up window explaining this to make it clearer."
  • In patch 1.07, the level requirements for certain items were scaled up, leaving some players stuck with only unusable gear. With patch 1.08, we are introducing the Wolven Hour potion. This potion will be available in everyone's inventory once they install the patch. It will reduce level requirements on all gear for a period of one hour. This will give players time to level up or find alternative equipment using the gear that was available to them in patch 1.05 but became unusable after patch 1.07. After one hour, the potion's effects will cease and the requirements for all gear will revert to their original, pre-potion values.
  • Fixes an issue where players were unable to compare their items with ones sold by merchants.

ACHIEVEMENTS:
  • Players will now be able to complete the Card Collector achievement.
  • Achievements are now working properly again and will be unlocked if players meet their requirements after installing this patch (PC version).

GRAPHICS:
  • Fixes an issue where interiors would sometimes not display properly on the minimap.
  • Fixes an issue where certain world elements would sometimes be missing and noticeable visual glitches would be present while in Novigrad.

QUEST:
  • Fixes an issue where players were unable to finish the "It Takes Three to Tango" quest, even though they had obtained wine at the Kingfisher.
  • Fixes an issue where Geralt would sometimes die after traveling to Velen in the quest "Something Ends, Something Begins."
  • The entrance to the area where the Sunstone is obtained will no longer be blocked off if the player exits it prematurely during "The Sunstone" quest.
  • Fixes an issue where players were unable to complete the "Get Junior" quest on certain occasions.
  • Fixes an issue where players were unable to finish the "Scavenger Hunt: Viper School Gear" quest due to a closed gate.
  • Fixes an issue where some players were unable to investigate rooms during the "Family Matters" quest, effectively blocking their progression.
  • Fixes an issue where players were unable to finish the "Hey, You Wanna Look at my Stuff?" quest.
  • Fixes an issue where players were unable to talk to Roche during the "An Eye for an Eye" quest.
  • Fixes an issue where Roche would stay at his camp instead of going to the Oxenfurt Bridge in the "Get Junior" quest.
  • Fixes an issue where, under certain circumstances, Yennefer would not appear in Oxenfurt during the "The Great Escape" quest.
  • Drowners will have a harder time killing Nidas during the "Black Pearl" quest.
  • Fixes an issue which led to an infinite loading screen during the "To Bait a Forktail..." quest under certain circumstances.
  • Fixes a rare issue where the basement was locked during the "King's Gambit" quest.
  • Fixes an issue where players were unable to free the merchant during the Person in Distress event in the Claywich area.
  • The trolls at the Circle of Elements will no longer attack Geralt if he opts for a peaceful resolution.
  • Fixes an issue where players were unable to talk to Roche during the "Brothers in Arms" quest.
  • Fixes an issue where Zoltan's card was unobtainable.

GENERAL:
  • Preparatory features paving the way for the introduction of New Game + in the future.

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
  • In patch 1.07, the level requirements for certain items were scaled up, leaving some players stuck with only unusable gear. With patch 1.08, we are introducing the Wolven Hour potion. This potion will be available in everyone's inventory once they install the patch. It will reduce level requirements on all gear for a period of one hour. This will give players time to level up or find alternative equipment using the gear that was available to them in patch 1.05 but became unusable after patch 1.07. After one hour, the potion's effects will cease and the requirements for all gear will revert to their original, pre-potion values.
I've not yet played, but this is a hell of fix :lol: .

Athelas

Arcane
It's like a survival game, except instead of starvation and death you fight off shitty RPG mechanics.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
Agreed. Almost everything interesting is located outside of the "points of interests" anyway, as those are all just generic locations that mostly just contain vendor trash, with a few exceptions here and there. Quests, witcher diagrams and other unique stuff is usually found elsewhere.

On my first playthrough I went semi-completionist, keeping the question marks off but visiting each notice board and doing every quest that I bumped into, and I think that was the most enjoyable way of playing the game. Now I've been doing a completionist playthrough with the question marks on while waiting for the expansions, and the enjoyment varies on different areas. Velen just feels too "gamey", as it's so tightly packed with completely generic content with all those random treasure chests lying around. It's somewhat salvaged by the fact that some of the bandit camps contain some of the best early-game encounters, but it's still far from ideal. Novigrad is OK, with only a handful of PoI's that are spread around the map quite sparsely, and mostly in remote places that make sense. And then there's Skellige, which has around 60 (!) smuggler's caches alone, all of them being exactly the same: around three barrels with chests attached to them floating in the water, guarded by a horde of sirens or occasionally drowners that are literally killed by pressing just one button (just keep firing the crossbow and Geralt will kill everything eventually), containing the worst vendor trash in the game in form of weapons and armor that weigh a ton and will encumber you immediately (not like it matters, you can go as much over the weight limit as you want to and it still sail around just like before) but are worth thousands of crowns when brought to a shopkeeper. Going through all this shit completely fucks up the pacing of the game and takes a lot more time than the entire main quest storyline on Skellige.

I think it would've been better if the treasure stuff didn't even have any kind of a marker attached to it. They're all visible from a distance anyway, just leave them there for the player to find by himself. Some other points of interest, like Abandoned Sites or certain Places of Power (i.e. those that are in plain sight and not in some underground cavern), are something that you could probably pick up from a notice board, though, as you think those would be common knowledge anyway.

Sodafish

Arcane
I left nearly every POI marker on the water in Skellige undiscovered; I figured that's exactly what they would be, so good to know I was right.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom