Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline The Walking Dead (SPOILERS)

insukk

Augur
Patron
Codex 2012
It was really short in my opinion (circa 2 hours), and there was not a lot of a gameplay, but the story was really great through all the chapters. Overall it was really satisfying experience with some memorable moments. :greatjob:

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Yeah, I generally don't like Telltale games, but I pirated the first episode of TWD and immediately bought it on Steam after that.

Comrade Goby

Magister
Project: Eternity
Great game all around.

All dem feels.

Not too much in gameplay but again story was GOTY

Steve

Augur
Other than the stupid twist in the end and other occasional derpy writing, I really enjoyed the ride. Probably my GOTY. Choices didn't really matter that much, not enough to replay the game.

Comrade Goby

Magister
Project: Eternity
Other than the stupid twist in the end and other occasional derpy writing, I really enjoyed the ride. Probably my GOTY. Choices didn't really matter that much, not enough to replay the game.

That was my main disappointment with the series as a whole.

I thought that maybe being episodic it would enable more reactive choices.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
Wow - I just finished Episode 5. I didn't think the game could throw too many more gutpunches my way but it kept on giving.

Great ending - Telltale I salute you. In all honesty the gameplay is mediocre but the storytelling is top notch. The reveal about the mysterious voice on the radio was great.

My feelings exactly,mediocre gameplay but the story is great and brutal,glad I bought it on the last GabeN-sale:salute:

Deleted member 7219

There was no twist at the end. The episode was a little short for my tastes, and I would have preferred a longer post-credits scene, but I still enjoyed it. And I loved the series as a whole. Can't wait for the next one.

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I enjoyed it, but was a bit disappointed by a few of the things, like Chekov's station wagon full of supplies. Oh, so its that guy, even if your choice was not to take them. Maybe if you thought for a moment Clem might be better off with this guy, since your ticket has been punched, but he keeps her locked in a bathroom, and has a zombie head in a bowling ball bag. So he's just another broad crazy antagonist like the family back in chapter 2. Also chopping off your arm makes 0 difference to climbing ladders, leaping around rooftops, and fighting your way through a swarm of zombies. And I disliked the stupid 'You farted: Kenny will remember this' when most of the time it never came up again, or if it does come up it was more of a general 'you didn't agree with me 100% that one time and it irked me'.

Still, definitely getting Season 2 when it's available.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
So there's no way to avoid being bitten?

I haven't played Ep5 yet, but how does that work for S02 then? New protagonist. Play as Clem? Miracle cure?

insukk

Augur
Patron
Codex 2012
Well...
The main character dies no matter what choices you've made through the whole season, so probably it will be some new guy in the second season, because playing as Clementine would be weird in my opinion, unless they make some 10-year long time jump.

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Yeah I don't know if they can go to a whole new cast without people screaming bloody murder about not knowing what happens with Clem, but it would be weird playing as her or her getting a new caretaker you play. On the other hand since none of the decisions truly matter its not like there'll be problems continuing her story.

Deleted member 7219

No idea about the comics, haven't read them, but they've been working with the creator. Maybe he has put restrictions, or maybe he hasn't. We just don't know. I do think it'll never get 'happy', though. No cure. No safety. No romance. That's all I'm sure about. I hope Clem will be the main character next season - if she's about 6 or 7 (can't remember, I'm sure it is said somewhere), they should try and come back in 5 years when she's almost a teenager. She's clever and capable of dispatching zombies, but you still can't make a small child a realistic player character. But in five years, maybe everyone will be dead. Might actually make more sense for Telltale to do a completely new cast.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
I think you all can drop the spoiler thing, because in the end it doesn't really matter.

Also technically, this game is a disaster.
After I was enraged by brain dead reviewers from utube (even QTEs are hard for some people), I decided to buy the game on Steam.
Done it. "Played" two chapters and planned to finish it today.
First problem: The game would not start today! Restarted Steam, restarted computer, checked drivers, but nothing worked.
Googled for some patches, found the working solution: start the application in compatibility mode for Win 98/Me. I kid you not, this is the only way I could start the game!
Then after starting the game, all my settings and my save games went MIA.
Googled again. Found lots of complains but not one solution besides replaying the chapters (4-5h), even if this problem seems to be present starting with episode 2.
WHAT.THE.FUCK. Save mechanism broken. Chapter consequences are not saved all the time. I did not believe it is possible to release a game in such a state in 2012, especially when you advertise exactly the broken points.
And I just found out that there are no refunds on Steam. Good.

Other than this, the game is really ... not retarded enough to enrage me. It is decent and has certain qualities: somewhat polished, depressing atmosphere and an "cinematic" feeling.
The dialogues are sometimes spot on, characters are mostly interesting and some moments are "emotionally engaging". However the overall story is a little bit above mediocre, cause it's going full retarded in the end (one arm jumping!?).
And the game suffers because of too much theatrical shit: the zombies are not really dangerous unless the party banter talk is done. There is no real sense of urgency.
One safe location becomes a kill zone just because the script says so. The zombies are always jumping like pumas and then they move like snails on LSD. Boring shit.
And then the choices: nothing really matters in the end. It's the same system applied in ME or Witcher. There are a few occasions of real C&C, but then the games reverts back to cheating: NPCs will die no matter what you do.
Quite disappointing, because the game had potential.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Story is great but the game play is laughably bad. If you just want an interactive/choose your own adventure novel then it's fine.

Multi-headed Cow

Story is great but the game play is laughably bad. If you just want an interactive/choose your own adventure novel then it's fine.
Only problem with it as a Choose Your Own Adventure is the ending is always the same. Without going into spoilers they do some super dumb shit in the final episode (Which one particularly bad scene is optional and does or doesn't happen based on your choices, but it's something that shouldn't have ever happened) and the same people will always live and the same people will always die.

Still enjoyed the story and the piss poor adventure gaming enough to be looking forward to season 2, but for a game that pushes "C&C! YOUR CHOICES WILL CHANGE THE GAME!" every time you load an episode it did a really shitty job of it.

Deleted member 7219

Only problem with it as a Choose Your Own Adventure is the ending is always the same. Without going into spoilers they do some super dumb shit in the final episode (Which one particularly bad scene is optional and does or doesn't happen based on your choices, but it's something that shouldn't have ever happened) and the same people will always live and the same people will always die.

Still enjoyed the story and the piss poor adventure gaming enough to be looking forward to season 2, but for a game that pushes "C&C! YOUR CHOICES WILL CHANGE THE GAME!" every time you load an episode it did a really shitty job of it.

I agree with this. It failed to live up to its promise of adapting to your choices - actually, it was clear it was going to fail at this from episode 2 onwards, yet they kept putting it up at the start of each episode. But as a game that told a story, it worked exceptionally well. I'm hoping for some more challenging gameplay in season 2, and choices that actually have consequences.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Did they actually market and advertise this as a C&C heavy adventure game, or are people just expecting to have it, even though they never mentioned it?

MachineCommander

Educated
Did they actually market and advertise this as a C&C heavy adventure game, or are people just expecting to have it, even though they never mentioned it?
I don't really remember if Telltale themselves did hype it like that, but before the start of each episode you were presented with text that said "This game tailors to the decisions you made" or something along that line. Which turned out to be completely false in Episode 3.

Very good story, but yeah, shit gameplay. And to couple with the amount of issues I had with the engine (missing saves, lost progress, and game freezes when changing game settings), I doubt I'll purchase another game from Telltale unless they get their shit together and fix it.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor

I know what you're talking about as I actually watched all the episodes... of course I didn't realize there was pretty much only one ending. That's pathetic. Of course it is hardly surprising people on CAG forums are extolling it as a 10/10 GAME OF THE YEAR candidate. Lol if this is game of the year. It isn't even a fucking game.

Multi-headed Cow

They did. As mentioned before, at the start of every episode they give you a C&C splash screen (Yoinked from my LP of episode 1) and on the store page for the game on Steam, there's this listed under key features:
"A tailored game experience – Live with the profound and lasting consequences of the decisions that you make in each episode. Your actions and choices will affect how your story plays out across the entire series."

I know what you're talking about as I actually watched all the episodes... of course I didn't realize there was pretty much only one ending. That's pathetic. Of course it is hardly surprising people on CAG forums are extolling it as a 10/10 GAME OF THE YEAR candidate. Lol if this is game of the year. It isn't even a fucking game.
Yeah... I'm not sure why anyone would call it game of the year. The only thing going for it was the story, and the story wasn't mindblowing or anything, it was just mostly well executed. Which I guess for a videogame is better than most can say, but shit.

Check out http://www.quartertothree.com/game-talk/showthread.php?t=68585&page=8 that if you wanna get your blood boiling a bit. I'm going by Squee in that thread, and and the spoiler bits are (Obviously) full of spoilers for anyone concerned, but the TLDR summary of anti-Codexian thoughtcrime is this post:

I'm still kind of perplexed by how much flexibility everyone expected around the whole "the game will flex around your choices" business, and don't really understand why people get bent out of shape over this. Sure, some stuff could be handled better but this was never a triple-A release and you couldn't have expected them to create entire separate branching plots based on a decision you made three episodes ago. I think they did really well with making it seem like your decisions mattered more than they ended up doing, that was a really well-done bit of misdirection by Telltale. I do hope they can take it farther with the next season, hopefully the success this time around will allow them to throw more resources at the next shot.

Then I argue with him a bit and he ignores my points and says where I see negative things he sees real accomplishment and declares victory.

EG

Nullified
Thanks guys. I guess they just follow BioWare FAIL of meaningless C&C. r00fles!

Once a phrase is deemed popular enough to be entered into the Holy Marketer's Codex, it will be used for inappropriate ends.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
It's because most people on other forums are console dumbfucks who think stuff like Walking Derp is revolutionary with it's minor C&C, QTE's, and brain dead puzzles.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom