Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline The Walking Dead (SPOILERS)

Deleted member 7219

Yep. I don't see the point in having a controller. They should properly port and do good controls for the PC. Which has been TellTales biggest flaw since.... forever.

I agree that games made for the PC should make full use of the M&K, but some games are just better played with a controller. The Assassin's Creed and the Batman: Arkham games, for example.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
This again? They're just tools. Mouse, keyboard, joystick and gamepad. All suited for different genres. Not withstanding that an adventure like this should work nicely with mouse and keyboard but meh.

Wulfstand

Prophet
I played the whole 1st episode with mouse&keyboard, it wasn't THAT bad. The mouse should've been way smoother, and the wasd controlles were a bit wack, i agree, but it wasn't anything over the top, not for me at least.

Multi-headed Cow

Yeah, same for me Wulfstand. I initially started the game using a controller because of what I'd read, but then I tried M&K for the hell of it shortly after and liked it better. Even sub-optimal mouse and keyboard is still better than controller for me usually.

Multi-headed Cow

Played a bit more, and I guess it DOES have a little bit of adventure gaming in it. Not a whole lot, but it's there. Have yet to determine if it's mandatory to continue the game or if succeeding or failing the puzzle has possible C&C repercussions. It APPEARED I couldn't finish it at that point in time so I'm elsewhere in the game now and hoping I'll find item(s) to do the puzzle. Could have just missed what was needed though I guess.

Wulfstand

Prophet
Multi-headed Cow
If you're talking about distracting the zombies outside Lee's parents' grocery, then yes, you do find an axe when you go to save Glenn, which is the 2nd item you need to finish the puzzle, that, and the remote control.

Matt7895
I for one chose to side with saving Hershel's kid, but when it came to who's to blame, I chose to blame myself, thinking that it'll have a good repercussion on kenny, and it did. Later on, when I met the rest of the group, I chose to side with Kenny at first, then with the old fuck with the heart condition, when it came to deciding if we'd have to kill the kid if he was actually bitten (which promptly made Kenny go 'what the fuck, man?'), but in the end I chose to step in and tell the old motherfucker that he'd have to go over my dead body to get to the kid, so in the end Kenny treated my like a good friend, saving my ass when the old guy (I'm beginning to regret not remembering his name right about now) decided to call me a son of a bitch and punch me in the face, leaving me to be killed by the walkers. (despite me telling his daughter that I think he's a good man deep-down)

End-game question:
Who did you guys choose to save at the end? I for one chose to save the guy, since he really seemed like a bro when we were all 3 of us at the door, what with him telling me that I'm an alright guy. Plus, he seemed like a handy guy with electronics, so I wagered he'd be a valuable asset later on.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
The heart medication? Don't worry. You'll find a way.

And then you wish you had let the fuck die.

Endgame spoiler.

I saved the woman. Electronics geek or girl who is good with guns? I found it a hard choice but in the end I figured someone with firearm skills would be worth it. Plus I felt the geek had too little exposure and seemed way to weak. Then again, she knows of my past so... Liked how the choice influenced the ending movie though and am glad to see that choice was real.

Deleted member 7219

I saved the woman but only because she seemed to know how to handle a gun. The geeky guy was a bro, I liked him, but I thought gun skills would be more useful than electronics. Also, we really need to be given the option to kill the heart attack guy. I just replayed the shop scene on another save, and boy is he obnoxious. He wants to kill the kid despite there being no evidence of a bite. He bitches about the gunfire even though it was to save your life and Clem's too. He needs to die.

Multi-headed Cow

Just finished it. Pumped to play episode 2 now!

Saved pistol chick too. Partially due to gun skill being useful, partially due to GLORIOUS WHITE KNIGHT, and partially due to nerd guy looking to be in a bad enough way I didn't really think my guy could save him. Sounds like you could, but in the situation presented in the game he kinda looked fucked at that moment.

Old guy big nose punched me out during the escape as well, but Kenny (The little boy's father) helped me up and called me a friend and was generally broful. Didn't get weirdness with C&C for him since I had sided with him in pretty much every situation. Old guy threatened to reveal my SHOCKING SECRET if I hang around his daughter (Presumably in episode 2) and was generally pissy. The preview for episode 2 showed the daughter yelling at me for siding against her dad during the "Is the kid bitten" argument. I'll be playing again and siding with her dad and being an asshole later, so it'll be interesting if that changes.

Overall apart from the sound/dialog kinda fucking up a lot I really liked it. Episode 1 came to a satisfying conclusion but kept me interested for the next, which Telltale seems to be pretty good at. Reeeeeeeeally hope the C&C ends up being cool. I imagine it won't be terribly divergent since each episode is/will be roughly 2 hours long and will (Most likely) always take place in the same areas, but hopefully it'll make enough of an impact. I'll probably do another spoiler blob whenever I play through episode 1 a second time to compare what if anything plays out differently. There are 3 "Game slots" available, and "Good guy", "Asshole" and "Silent" seem like viable dialog options. Kinda curious what happens if you always pick the "..." dialog option. Dunno if that's ACTUALLY silent or if that just picks a default reply.

Steve

Augur
Finished the first episode, there were few parts where the writing was bit derpy but overall I thought it was pretty good, very light on adventure gaming aspect so dont expect any hard puzzles.

1E5A43549360AD545C73210ADDE6DC34535C5CC1

Wulfstand

Prophet
Y'know what would've made the game even better? Some actual music. God damn how cool would it have been if they'd have managed to obtain the rights for the tv-show's theme:

That's one of the best intro themes I've ever seen in a tv show.

Multi-headed Cow

This just got patched on Steam. Supposedly fixes some audio bugs and/or improves sound quality.

Edit: And thanks for posting that picture Steve. That was all fucked up in my game, didn't list the choices or results. Gave me some broken placeholder text.
Relating to Steve's end game blurb spoiler:
Surprised so few people let that chick off herself. Did anyone here refuse her? Does anything come of that? Since your group heads back there later, do you meet a zombified version of her?
I'll have to refuse her in my next playthrough.

Multi-headed Cow

Non-spoilery summary of C&C impact in the first episode, one scene change, some slight dialog changes, and that's it. No different areas (The scene change is the same area from a slightly different perspective), no different survivors (That do anything), no new puzzles. There are minor C&C things that show up that have no impact in this episode that may have an impact down the line (Knowing someone owns a boat for example) and there's a single life or death choice where you have one or two people with you in the future. Found this by playing through a second time choosing entirely different dialog options and choices when available.
So yeah. Slight cosmetic changes (And one instance of semi-large cosmetic change) for the one episode.

Spoilery shit:
Ok, so the bitten chick offs herself anyway. If you refuse to give her the gun she makes a grab for it anyway and the floor breaks. She's the first one up and gets the gun and shoots herself which makes Glenn barf. Glenn is kinda pissy at you if you give her the gun, and he's kinda pissy at you if you don't give her the gun. Eh.
The scene change mentioned is when you kill the babysitter and Clementine asks you what you're going to do, if you choose to wait until dark to leave the house, Hershel's son's friend ends up dead and he's running around with a cop looking for the zombie of his friend at night. You almost get shot, but then join up with them. No button hammering or anything like you got if you left during the day trying to shove the car out of the way, the zombie shuffles out and you guys bundle up in a police car and drive off. He drops you off at the farm as usual and then leaves. A bit of dialog gets changed due to this, Hershel is more willing to barricade the fence since the other guy got killed. Cosmetic C&C entirely, but the rest of the episode doesn't even do it as well as this one bit.
Lying and being shifty to Hershel just changes his chewing you out bit in the barn. Basically says you need to learn to lie better, as opposed to saying you need to learn to trust people and be trustworthy if you're honest.
Trying to save Hershel's son doesn't pan out. Kenny saves his kid and panics and runs, and you don't have enough grunt to get the tractor off of Hershel's kid yourself, so he dies. Hershel is pissy as before and kicks all of you off the farm. Even if you blame Kenny for Hershel's son's death and say you don't want his help earlier on the farm, you still ride with him in to town.
Siding with Larry in the argument just kinda pisses Kenny off since you wanted to throw his kid to the zombies, but doesn't change anything but a few minor bits of dialog. The old guy (Larry) still punches you out during the great escape which at first I didn't know why the fuck, but then I derped and realized it's because he recognizes you as the guy from the murder trial before the apocalypse and doesn't trust you.
Seems that nothing happens if you pick up all the energy bars and don't give them to anyone, and nothing happens if you don't repair the radio.
The only real change I noticed in the preview for episode 2 (Apart from Doug the nerd being alive instead of reporter chick) was a scene where Kenny is freaking out along the lines of "YOU WANTED TO KILL DUCK WHEN YOU THOUGHT HE WAS BITTEN, WELL I'M JUST DOING THE SAME!"

So yeah. Not even much in the way of cosmetic changes for playing episode 1 in vastly (As vastly as possible) different ways. To be determined what happens in future episodes.

Edit: OH YEAH, the patch seemed to fix all my sound issues.

Deleted member 7219

Surprised so few people let that chick off herself. Did anyone here refuse her? Does anything come of that? Since your group heads back there later, do you meet a zombified version of her?
I'll have to refuse her in my next playthrough.

I didn't let her off herself because I was worried what would happen to the gun. I thought it might be all dramatic with her going into her room, closing the door, and you hear a shot, then you all just walk off, leaving the gun behind. And to prevent that from happening I just told her no, I rationalised that we could shoot her anyway if she turned right in front of us.

Mortmal

Arcane
Liked it as well, the story and atmosphere is good, but you gotta admit its light on the gameplay, they could have done an animation film of it.Controls are awful and i cant even rebind the keys for an azerty keyboard, also it goes too fast to pick dilaogue choices, barely had time to read them and translate.Its a QTE like fahnreneit, nothing more , if you hate those kind of games you will hate this.
Wish they had released all episode at once cant wait to see how the story unfold.

Multi-headed Cow

I don't want to look to close under the scenes about the impact of the choices. I'm glad they are there because they allow me to play as I want to, and not because I'm trying to direct to a retain outcome. I'm glad there is an option to feed Clem or not so I can feel good about feeding Clem, even though I know everyone does it. It's not so that I can choose not to and see new dialog or a cutscene based on my decision.

So for me it isn't about the technical feature of having the choices determine the game, it's about immersion, it's about the option to be the character I want to be. I love seeing the notifications of changes based on my choices, and of course I hope that telltale continues to get more involved with them, but I think a lot of the magic will come just from accepting them without looking to deep.

I have to echo those who don't want to deconstruct the magic in this game. It is such a beautifully crafted experience with a gripping narrative, fantastic art design and enjoyable gameplay. Sometimes, I think that's enough.
Fuck the internet to death.

Helly

Translating for brofists
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Pretty good overall. Biowarian choices but love the main character and the little girl. They really nailed those two and their mixed relationship.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I don't want to look to close under the scenes about the impact of the choices. I'm glad they are there because they allow me to play as I want to, and not because I'm trying to direct to a retain outcome. I'm glad there is an option to feed Clem or not so I can feel good about feeding Clem, even though I know everyone does it. It's not so that I can choose not to and see new dialog or a cutscene based on my decision.

So for me it isn't about the technical feature of having the choices determine the game, it's about immersion, it's about the option to be the character I want to be. I love seeing the notifications of changes based on my choices, and of course I hope that telltale continues to get more involved with them, but I think a lot of the magic will come just from accepting them without looking to deep.

I have to echo those who don't want to deconstruct the magic in this game. It is such a beautifully crafted experience with a gripping narrative, fantastic art design and enjoyable gameplay. Sometimes, I think that's enough.
Fuck the internet to death.
Man, you just don't get the deep, philosophical concepts being deconstructed in the game via zombie killing.

Astral Rag

Arcane
Looks like a shitty QTE infested cinematic on rails "adventure" much like Jurassic Park, Heavy Rain and Fahrenheit. Don't buy this if you want an actual point and click adventure game.

Deleted member 7219

Suddenly this thread has turned into bawling. When did this happen?

PS. The Longest Journey was 'on rails' too and that is generally cited as the best point 'n click adventure ever made. So....

EG

Nullified

PS. The Longest Journey was 'on rails' too and that is generally cited as the best point 'n click adventure ever made. So....

1999 . . . Could never be good.

Redlands

Arcane

To be fair, TLJ had at least one choice that was respected in-game. You even had a different cutscene that was actually different and not just a recoloring.

Deleted member 7219

To be fair, TLJ had at least one choice that was respected in-game. You even had a different cutscene that was actually different and not just a recoloring.

I'm not dissing TLJ at all. I'm taking issue with his criticisms of TWD. Right from the very start it promises C&C and we're only 1/5 of our way through the game, how does he know it is 'on rails'?

Redlands

Arcane
I'm not dissing TLJ at all. I'm taking issue with his criticisms of TWD. Right from the very start it promises C&C and we're only 1/5 of our way through the game, how does he know it is 'on rails'?

Because recent Telltale output has not been great (if it ever was) by any means, and because EA gets so much press for having its fake choices it seems like the easier and cheaper way to have things play out; and Telltale certainly produces things in the easiest and cheapest way they can. Not that it's necessarily bad, but can you see them putting the effort into making choices carry over 5 smaller games that aren't going to get them any money when Bioware don't wth their larger budgets and freedom from tying it into a television show?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom