Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress The true face of Japan: Let's read Shigurui (NSFW obviously)

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
I went ahead and read the whole of Shigurui. It's a good read, though at the rate this is going I'd suggest Cowboy Moment sticks to relevant chapters. It's pretty long but most of it is stuffed with plotlines or scenes that end up going nowhere (I won't go into examples for the sake of spoilers but there's many a chapter that details something which never comes up again, making me wonder at the design process behind it).

It's an adaptation of one story out of a collection of neo-samurai tales by one Norio Nanjo, and it expands on the source material a fair bit. After it gained a lot of popularity, the mangaka decided to drag it out, and incorporated a bunch of plot threads from other stories, which only loosely related to the main story. I was actually intent on skipping them, unless the readers demand that I do not.

You have to admit though, the ending is fucking amazing.

desocupado

Magister
I sort of went ahead and read the whole thing. It's cool, but there's some politics/other stuff going in the background that ultimately lead nowhere. Felt unnecessary to me.

Anyway, cool stuff, 4 out of 5 trannycocks.

Radisshu

Prophet
So I read all of this I could find online, sadly, I didn't find the ending. Didn't search that hard though

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Cause I forgot.

Anyway, we're entering Volume 3, so here's a bit of cover art:

CmWzd.png

pOGgR.png

wHH2L.png

6sWO7.png

Ma2fe.jpg

jFmlN.png

VqDzx.png

And here's Chapter 11, where a guy eats a woman's nipple.

1kKfc.png

yqvwd.png

HeJ5o.png

ioAQd.png

lrAKX.png

lAOJe.png

fhyhS.png

2PVDL.png

DYuFj.png

GgyU1.png

xNYFe.png

uy3Zk.png

BFrLz.png

kervq.png

PyuFB.png

Zp67g.png

q0NI9.png

jlvTw.png

TnjQP.png

yUlBb.jpg

Yt0cY.png

nlWnl.png

mniOZ.png

7jeAm.png

S8Udq.png

UAxgd.png

fqRTy.png

U16fO.png

CT76n.png

oIVw5.png

dXK5h.png

fkjWz.png

QqPeA.png

9op3D.png

Ah, the simple pleasures of unrestrained violence.

Radisshu

Prophet
Seriously, DAMN. At one point I thought, sadly, that this manga would fall into some kind of shitty "OH YEAH IT'S A TOURNAMENT, WATCH THE FIGHTERS USE THEIR AWESOME TECHNIQUES" (it certainly builds up to it, with the introduction of the spear master guy and the frog, etc), and then the last chapters actually turn it into a beautiful work of literature.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
I brought this up a lot in the Freesia LR, but Shigurui's ending is truly a magnificent example of human dignity taking a boot to the face.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
I was just passing through, and noticed this thread. Now I'm addicted. Thanks, and also (someone may have pointed it out) but the animated version of this is available on NetFlix as Shiguri: Death Frenzy, or something similar. I only watched the first 10 minutes to determine if it is the same thing: it appears to be.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
I read some more chapters from the link posted above, and what bothers me is that there aren't any real fights. 90% of the time it's one guy using a special technique that one-shots the other guy. It's also hard to believe that the special technique from the Kogan can actually be effective in combat.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
I read some more chapters from the link posted above, and what bothers me is that there aren't any real fights. 90% of the time it's one guy using a special technique that one-shots the other guy. It's also hard to believe that the special technique from the Kogan can actually be effective in combat.

The "special techniques" are for the most part completely nonsensical. However, swordfights with katanas ending after a single blow is fairly realistic, as far as I know. Compare:

It's extremely risky to parry with a katana, and the destructive power of a successful attack is very high, so the first blow that meets its target usually ends the fight. In that sense, katanas are more similar to guns as far as duels are concerned, rather than typical Western arms and armor. These aren't knights in plate and mail, with shields and broadswords, hacking at each other till one of them drops from exhaustion or blood loss.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
That's why I thought a nice moment was when
Iwamoto Kogan fought the guy wielding the Spanish rapier

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I sort of went ahead and read the whole thing. It's cool, but there's some politics/other stuff going in the background that ultimately lead nowhere. Felt unnecessary to me.

The comic has a central theme that the subplots help to build up, I didn't find them unnecessary personally.

Re: swordfighting in this one. Like said, fights between unarmored opponents never lasted very long. The ending actually goes to great lengths at showing just how weak and fragile the whole "one unbeatable special technique" -school of sword-fighting is. It mocks this cliché of the genre rather nicely.

SerratedBiz

Arcane

The comic has a central theme that the subplots help to build up, I didn't find them unnecessary personally.

Not all subplots / characters / training bits introduced actually come up any time later, though, and those are unnecessary.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
I went ahead and read the whole thing. Best manga I read in a long time, aside for the couple of loose ends and mostly random nudity and violence every two pages.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom