Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Thaumaturge - supernatural RPG set in early 20th century Warsaw from Seven: The Days Long Gone devs

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

The Thaumaturge is a turn-based RPG set in in 1905 Warsaw, Poland that injects real-world history with magic that allows characters to summon demons called “Salutors.” We spoke to writer Paula Mejsner and level designer Robert Butkiewicz about combat, morally ambiguous player choices and creating a (somewhat) historically accurate version of Warsaw using pre-war reference material.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1684350/view/6239230128641095706

The Thaumaturge | Salutors - Upyr #2
Meet Upyr, Wiktor's first salutor and his most trusted companion
ef24d172b44f825d7104b840b72dc3991d5a2e55.jpg

Hello everyone,

This is a series of posts in which we'd like to dive deeper with you into a large and substantial part of The Thaumaturge's lore - the Salutors. This week it's time to introduce Upyr, the first salutor tamed by Wiktor.

Restless spirits at the Powązki Cemetery
A local gravedigger has disappeared without a trace. Could it be somehow related to the ghosts that, according to some seekers of otherworldly phenomena, frequently roam the Powązki Cemetery?

a9f45f4d3181fc9705ea9d9c0239b43ba07e8176.jpg

While it’s possible to read fairy tales about ghosts and fiends in many books for children, it seems that some of these stories may have a grain of truth in them. Powązki, proud of its reputation as a rather peaceful district, has oddly always attracted seekers of otherworldly phenomena. One such “ghost hunter”, a mister Ewaryst Hauke from Cracow, recently claimed that he is in hot pursuit of an ethereal being.

As he says, an “upyr” (or simply a ghost in other words) of a long-dead nobleman from Podolia haunts the cemetery, lurking in the shadows and waiting to possess the weak-minded. As proof, Mr. Hauke points out one of the local gravediggers who has been missing for many months now.

As Hauke recollects, weeks before the man’s departure, the unlucky gravedigger was acting strange. His coworkers even claim that he’d become a totally different person, mumbling to himself, sometimes even in Latin. One day he simply left the house and never came back.

Monsieur Hauke thinks that such a situation may occur again, as “upyrs” are naturally drawn to people overtaken by grief and despair - two commonplace emotions at funerals. When asked about how to defend oneself against this “upyr” our interlocutor refused to disclose any answers for free.

Strangely enough, the hapless gravedigger isn’t the only person missing in Warsaw as local police officials inform us regularly about such cases asking if we can help. Are any of these cases connected somehow to the spirits resting at the Powązki Cemetery? Our readers have to judge for themselves.

Powązki Cemetery, Warszawa 1905
Powązki Cemetery offers stillness and tranquility both to the living and those who found there their final resting place.

This quiet part of the city attributes a great part of its inner peace to one of the oldest and largest cemeteries in Warsaw. Founded at the end of the XVIII century, Powązki Cemetery serves as the final resting place for Warsaw's most esteemed citizens. One can only imagine how many stories its inhabitants could tell if they only could. Some say that if you listen carefully to the wind dancing among local graves you might hear the voices of those long gone…

55ab74200dbb9d409d8a776786879717263cddb0.jpg

05ec829e73e7745449cf7b9cb23d46547369b06e.jpg

5d5e91ea16ee5a4cc7aa4613b74b2326e2266264.jpg

495fc393bccf69124b304429a1f1740b9940b7bb.jpg

786376b34ecb82c44fce82c6a9bc6a28010f4567.jpg

1c498ed5ecb04af5bea6474090353b4acaaa304f.jpg

A ghost of a tormented soul
Man’s existence is fragile and hangs on a thin thread. Yet sometimes, as ancient Slavic legends say, this thread is severed so violently and unexpectedly that its owner gets stuck somewhere between life and death. Thus, an “Upyr” is born – an ethereal being that makes people shiver with its cold, spectral touch.

Or maybe Upyrs are born through curse, as others say, or due to the suicide of a tormented being? No one knows for certain, but we do know one thing: Upyrs are full of malevolence towards the living, as they can see a life once lived, yet cannot fully bask in its light.

Old scriptures tell stories of talented thaumaturges who could ensnare Upyrs and make them do their bidding, though the stories of those who instead became their puppets are far better known…

4e7e389ef2c2db3b46092ef5bc869e8144905d40.jpg

ec24d240479c976fe0b975bb653bc7ba142f354f.jpg

ebc5762e5f1b5535985f705fbdc332f4a42f8a5e.jpg

1e69d38335c550ce3c0b3d13112651045da29587.jpg

Upyr - the one who's always there for you
Upyr came to Wiktor when he was still a child. Although frightening, he's always been there for him. Now it's up to Wiktor to restore their weakened bond.

youtube_16x9_placeholder.gif

Thank you! Please share your thoughts on Upyr and stay tuned for more salutors in the upcoming weeks!

Take care,
Fool's Theory and 11 bit studios

Last edited:

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

Not only the game plays out in my city, but at least one chapter visits my old neighbourhood!

Sure, it has dramatically changed since the early 1900s, being leveled by Germans during WW2 and later rebuilt in a more modern style, but I'm curious if I'll be able to recognize at least some buildings.

Very cool project, looking forward to playing it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1684350/view/3727347976104051183
The Thaumaturge | Salutors - Lelek #3
Lelek might be the smallest of the salutors but in combat, he's fearless.
5379cea628d4fa6caefdf27b6985a3cb67bb7290.jpg

Hello everyone,

This is a series of posts in which we'd like to dive deeper with you into a large and substantial part of The Thaumaturge's lore - the salutors. Meet Lelek, the smallest of the salutors. A little fearless bird whose songs will bring demise to your enemies.

Brutal Murder at Southern Śródmieście
The more superstitious folk see the brutal murder at the London Bar as a result of some demonic influence. The less superstitious though would blame the abuse of alcohol.

c63ebec45609d3218dd2c88170006a8ffede5893.jpg

While the London Bar has already made its name as one of the most infamous places in Warsaw, the latest events that have taken place there would truly shock even the most coldhearted citizens.

The evening started innocently as a group of people organized a dance party inside the establishment which, in fact, was a continuation of a wedding that had taken place the day before.

During the party, in which a hired musician from Wola was playing on a squeezebox, a few young people entered the bar, lured inside by the sounds of music. When they saw the musician, they immediately approached him loudly proclaiming, “It’s you! We finally have you now!”

The musician grew pale in an instant and, obviously distressed, ran out of the building. Unluckily for him, at least one comrade of the intruders must have been standing near the entrance. The musician received a deep cut in the throat with a sharp object just a few feet from the door. All the arteries were severed so the doctors who arrived on the scene shortly after the incident could only confirm his death.

What’s truly unsettling is none of the party’s participants could identify the unfortunate musician or his assailants. Members of the police force couldn’t manage to communicate with most of the witnesses due to the large amount of alcohol consumed. One of the partygoers was found lying just next to the tragically deceased and, strangely enough, was unable to give any details on the event.

Superstitious ones could even say some kind of demon had taken over the London Bar that fateful evening. No reasonable person could have conceived such butchery to take place in the heart of our beloved city.

Southern Śródmieście, Warszawa 1905
If you’re in Warsaw looking for the simple pleasures of life such as drinking or gambling, you’ll mostly end up in Southern Śródmieście. Just remember to never let your guard down! This nest of vipers is just as deadly as it is tempting.

Southern Śródmieście is a place where the heart of Warsaw's social life beats. If you have money and connections, you can visit one of the famous soirées taking place in the Imperial Hotel. For all those who wish to enjoy a good time, establishments like the infamous London Bar offer drinks, gambling, and other simple pleasures. Yet be careful never to lower your guard - in Southern Śródmieście all kinds of company, both refined and plain, can prove to be a nest of vipers.

1a576889e32d82979ad69d28355ae7ac707a5259.jpg

e08ffbcf1ac1d519863d228ca7dd18f6de2b32a4.jpg

ce7cd0588ee6610acf71a9389a03b8e2fa8c2bc7.jpg

db60b2b452b669d486baf8273507d61fe63905ff.jpg

d759b3e0e599f7228eb87bc4f0a6cac70d3ddf7e.jpg

a4bb4d1ebc61a409a1d7e4c5a8618be2aeb77a11.jpg

The ghost of foolishness
Among the peoples of the Kashubia, the nightjar was always more feared than admired. Hidden in the thick forest, this little bird, called “Lelek” by native Kashubians, sings his sorrowful song that resembles a madman’s laughter. Maybe that’s why the nightjar was associated with a demon that entered men’s heads, slowly driving them insane.

Some people claim that this ominous being still exists and haunts people on the streets of Warsaw, twisting them from inside and swaying their choices. Could he be the reason that more and more people are being clinically diagnosed as insane?

One can only wonder what kind of might a man could possess if he could control “Lelek” and its devious powers.

3d9a6385adc4c439cacc4192ddbb2330c9dedb92.jpg

b49d10a5d54d78b054a42540a6d7d1659179ad52.jpg

7fee62795ef8dbb69a355902bf39b5a6aa319c9e.jpg

a23ce102f71db6730ed4f2cb70f8a5c358b00371.jpg

Lelek - little but fearless
Lelek might be the smallest of the salutors but in combat, he's fearless. His songs will bring demise to your enemies.

Thank you! Please share your thoughts on Lelek and stay tuned for more salutors in the upcoming weeks!

Take care,

Harthwain

Magister
I am not the fan of the Witcher Sense. I'd rather have the discoveries made automatically, as long as you have high enough stats to "spot" them, kind of like Disco Elysium does. Especially if the extra stuff that unlocks something is relevant to whatever case it is linked to.

mikaelis

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1684350/view/3727347976104051183
The Thaumaturge | Salutors - Lelek #3
Lelek might be the smallest of the salutors but in combat, he's fearless.
5379cea628d4fa6caefdf27b6985a3cb67bb7290.jpg

Hello everyone,

This is a series of posts in which we'd like to dive deeper with you into a large and substantial part of The Thaumaturge's lore - the salutors. Meet Lelek, the smallest of the salutors. A little fearless bird whose songs will bring demise to your enemies.

Brutal Murder at Southern Śródmieście
The more superstitious folk see the brutal murder at the London Bar as a result of some demonic influence. The less superstitious though would blame the abuse of alcohol.

c63ebec45609d3218dd2c88170006a8ffede5893.jpg

While the London Bar has already made its name as one of the most infamous places in Warsaw, the latest events that have taken place there would truly shock even the most coldhearted citizens.

The evening started innocently as a group of people organized a dance party inside the establishment which, in fact, was a continuation of a wedding that had taken place the day before.

During the party, in which a hired musician from Wola was playing on a squeezebox, a few young people entered the bar, lured inside by the sounds of music. When they saw the musician, they immediately approached him loudly proclaiming, “It’s you! We finally have you now!”

The musician grew pale in an instant and, obviously distressed, ran out of the building. Unluckily for him, at least one comrade of the intruders must have been standing near the entrance. The musician received a deep cut in the throat with a sharp object just a few feet from the door. All the arteries were severed so the doctors who arrived on the scene shortly after the incident could only confirm his death.

What’s truly unsettling is none of the party’s participants could identify the unfortunate musician or his assailants. Members of the police force couldn’t manage to communicate with most of the witnesses due to the large amount of alcohol consumed. One of the partygoers was found lying just next to the tragically deceased and, strangely enough, was unable to give any details on the event.

Superstitious ones could even say some kind of demon had taken over the London Bar that fateful evening. No reasonable person could have conceived such butchery to take place in the heart of our beloved city.

Southern Śródmieście, Warszawa 1905
If you’re in Warsaw looking for the simple pleasures of life such as drinking or gambling, you’ll mostly end up in Southern Śródmieście. Just remember to never let your guard down! This nest of vipers is just as deadly as it is tempting.

Southern Śródmieście is a place where the heart of Warsaw's social life beats. If you have money and connections, you can visit one of the famous soirées taking place in the Imperial Hotel. For all those who wish to enjoy a good time, establishments like the infamous London Bar offer drinks, gambling, and other simple pleasures. Yet be careful never to lower your guard - in Southern Śródmieście all kinds of company, both refined and plain, can prove to be a nest of vipers.

1a576889e32d82979ad69d28355ae7ac707a5259.jpg

e08ffbcf1ac1d519863d228ca7dd18f6de2b32a4.jpg

ce7cd0588ee6610acf71a9389a03b8e2fa8c2bc7.jpg

db60b2b452b669d486baf8273507d61fe63905ff.jpg

d759b3e0e599f7228eb87bc4f0a6cac70d3ddf7e.jpg

a4bb4d1ebc61a409a1d7e4c5a8618be2aeb77a11.jpg

The ghost of foolishness
Among the peoples of the Kashubia, the nightjar was always more feared than admired. Hidden in the thick forest, this little bird, called “Lelek” by native Kashubians, sings his sorrowful song that resembles a madman’s laughter. Maybe that’s why the nightjar was associated with a demon that entered men’s heads, slowly driving them insane.

Some people claim that this ominous being still exists and haunts people on the streets of Warsaw, twisting them from inside and swaying their choices. Could he be the reason that more and more people are being clinically diagnosed as insane?

One can only wonder what kind of might a man could possess if he could control “Lelek” and its devious powers.

3d9a6385adc4c439cacc4192ddbb2330c9dedb92.jpg

b49d10a5d54d78b054a42540a6d7d1659179ad52.jpg

7fee62795ef8dbb69a355902bf39b5a6aa319c9e.jpg

a23ce102f71db6730ed4f2cb70f8a5c358b00371.jpg

Lelek - little but fearless
Lelek might be the smallest of the salutors but in combat, he's fearless. His songs will bring demise to your enemies.

Thank you! Please share your thoughts on Lelek and stay tuned for more salutors in the upcoming weeks!

Take care,

LOL it is made after my favourite-named bird LELEK KOZODóJ :)

Nightjar in English

wonder what's next:

Jelonek Rogacz? :)

Zariusz

Arbiter
I cant shake the feeling that character faces from this game and Pathologic 2 have somewhat simillar feel. And i dont mean the hairstyles and obvious early 20th centurish settings for both of games but there is something else, idk maybe textures or the way hair is modeled, i look at the characters from Thaumaturge gameplay and after some time i start to think about Pathologic 2, weird.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

Finally, we can share the exciting news that everyone has been waiting for!
The Thaumaturge will be released on PC on the 5th of December this year!

That is not the only news! From now until the 16th of October, you have the chance to take a sneak peek at what we are cooking up for you. Yes, it's true, the demo of The Thaumaturge is available during the Steam Next Fest!

RELEASE ALL THE GAMES IN 2023 :hype:

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Space Wreck today.
Dark Envoy later in October.
Colony Ship in November.
Thaumaturge in December.

And I still haven't even concluded Phantom Liberty.

How to find the time?

I'm happy though - RPGs finally abandon pure generic fantasy as their main setting. Science-fiction, sf-fantasy mixture, history, and myths - that's the way to go.

Last edited:

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Space Wreck today.
Dark Envoy later in October.
Colony Ship in November.
Thaumaturge in December.

And I still haven't even concluded Phantom Liberty.

How to find time?
Go NEET like Fantadomat or Fedora Master. Might have unwelcome side effects for your mental state though

Jinn

Arcane
You could probably safely skip Dark Envoy too. Maybe go from NEET to lower part-time.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Becoming unemployed sure is a way to have more time gaming... but getting homeless might limit my access to a fast desktop.

Fortunately, most of these games can be played on less modern laptops :-D

Last edited:

mikaelis

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
LOL it is made after my favourite-named bird LELEK KOZODóJ :)
You're really unfamiliar with the mythology surrounding your favourite named birds?
Hahaha :)

Absolutely completely!

I had no idea about Lelek being part of slavic myths. Granted I never was deep into it.

Literally, I only remember this name (Lelek Kozodoj), from an album-like book from 80's (when I was like 6-8 years old maybe?) where you collected pages of different birds so you can glue them to the main book. It had red throat and opened beek - looked very unique - I guess I remembered it because of that (Dudek was kind of similar because of its "hairy tip"? - not sure how you call it).

Obviously the name "lelek kozodoj" sounded funny as well for a kid :)

AUTIST OFF

Anyways, .. just some memories from childhood...
:negative:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom