Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The STEAM Sales and Releases Thread

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
Bought Serpents in the Staglands and Lisa so far.

Serpents, despite what was said here at the Codex, is NOT Darklands. I'm still glad I bought it to support them - and I respect the hell out of their dedication to the look and feel - but there comes a point where I start to miss things like tooltips. That said, the look and detail is amazing to take in. I've only played a tiny bit so far and I need to process it and start over, but... I got distracted by Lisa.

Lisa is pretty damn amazing so far. I don't know if it's because I had zero expectations, or if it's because it's actually amazing. Regardless, I'm enjoying it.
Whomever described it as a post-apocalyptic RPG Codex was right.

So the important questions:

Lords of Xulima worth it for 10 $US?
Dominions 4 worth it for 8.75 $US?

Country_Gravy

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
I was wondering about Lords of Xulima. It just keeps looking at me with that "on wishlist" tag over and I want to, but when the fuck am I going to play this stuff?

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Serpents, despite what was said here at the Codex, is NOT Darklands. I'm still glad I bought it to support them - and I respect the hell out of their dedication to the look and feel - but there comes a point where I start to miss things like tooltips.
It has tooltips though.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
Serpents, despite what was said here at the Codex, is NOT Darklands. I'm still glad I bought it to support them - and I respect the hell out of their dedication to the look and feel - but there comes a point where I start to miss things like tooltips.
It has tooltips though.

Yeah, I should have been more specific. Inside UI Screen it usually has a window and I have to click on something to get info about it.

I have seen tooltips for items in the world.

I'm not hating on the game. I bought it - if I didn't like it I would have asked Gaben for my monies back.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Yeah, I should have been more specific. Inside UI Screen it usually has a window and I have to click on something to get info about it.

I have seen tooltips for items in the world.

I'm not hating on the game. I bought it - if I didn't like it I would have asked Gaben for my monies back.
Ohh I see what you mean. Most UI elements (like buttons) have tooltips for what they do, but information about stats is through a click interface, yes (I'm pretty poe is the same in this regard though :M).

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
OfYGY.gif

(Join Season 6)

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
OfYGY.gif

(Join Season 6)

So... you like the game?

Can you explain or point to a GOOD youtube video with some combat examples? Looking at the screens I can't tell if it's HoMM style or something else.

Edit: I don't mean to put you to work. Let me find a video and you can tell me if it's accurate.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
I'm watching this guy play through some Atlantis map.

The strategic parts looks p.sweet, but he has yet to get into combat. I'll switch to your video.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Surely at any price point less <= $10,* the question is not "is it worth it for X $US" but rather "is it worth it for X minutes of my life." To the extent that $10 is a deciding factor in your trying out an independent RPG made by a bunch of big-hearted dreamers, I'm happy to buy the game for you. (I myself do not even have minutes to spare on PoE, which makes me cry myself to sleep and dream of Darth Roxor's sneer, so I must live vicariously through the temporal one percenters.)

(* Provided we're talking about someone gainfully employed in the US or another rich Western nation. Otherwise, YMMV with the de minimis pricepoint.)

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
Surely at any price point less <= $10,* the question is not "is it worth it for X $US" but rather "is it worth it for X minutes of my life." To the extent that $10 is a deciding factor in your trying out an independent RPG made by a bunch of big-hearted dreamers, I'm happy to buy the game for you. (I myself do not even have minutes to spare on PoE, which makes me cry myself to sleep and dream of Darth Roxor's sneer, so I must live vicariously through the temporal one percenters.)

(* Provided we're talking about someone gainfully employed in the US or another rich Western nation. Otherwise, YMMV with the de minimis pricepoint.)

Well said*.

I appreciate the offer, but I can afford it.

*=Yes, you are correct - reading what you wrote... that is what I should have said all along. Full time work, plus wife and child, my free minutes are precious. Thank you.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Anything for a fellow TimeGate alum! (If only I could send today's media and money back to the MRY of yesteryear, or have again a young man's hours and vigor. Cruel fates.)

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Why can't games just employ the Master of Magic model - you right click (or alt click, or middle mouse button click) on something and you get a massive explanation that goes into mechanical detail.

Coyote

Arcane

I was curious about this myself. Found some impressions in this thread:

Jaesun liked it:

LOVE this game. Shit I haven't played a game for THAT long in a long long long time. Looking forward to the next game.

Roxor didn't:

Okay this game is pretty fucking bad. Time to uninstall.

If I wanted to play a railroaded random-encounter-splatting simulator I'd play King's Bounty, and I wouldn't play King's Bounty because King's Bounty is fucking shit exactly for the same reasons as this game.

I didn't see any individual post giving a more detailed breakdown, but here are some recurring themes from glancing through 5-10 pages:

-Strengths: Good combat, good exploration, decent puzzles
-Weaknesses: Combat's a bit too dependent on RNG (don't play ironman), lack of hand-placed loot detracts from exploration, bland story
-Could go either way/depends on your preferences: Very combat-heavy, classes unbalanced (make sure to take a cleric on harder difficulties), some interesting-sounding mechanics (powerful enemies that chase you down, can clear areas for bonus XP but encounters get harder the closer you are to doing so)

Confirmed that Talisman of Golot is exactly the sort of glorified cheat item DLC the store description makes it sound like, so no need to worry about picking that up.

Trodat

Arcane
Patron
Had to buy Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes for ~ 10€

Kojima's next masterpiece is just around the corner so a little treat beforehand can't hurt.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Was in a Humble Bundle a long time ago. It's... okay... if you can get past the animu shit. What you see is what you get: it's a sidescrolling beatemup with looting and some crafting. It's decently long -- Steam show 15 hours for me but I'm sure it's closer to 10-12ish.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom