Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The STEAM Sales and Releases Thread

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Lisa is pretty damn amazing so far. I don't know if it's because I had zero expectations, or if it's because it's actually amazing. Regardless, I'm enjoying it.
Whomever described it as a post-apocalyptic RPG Codex was right.

You shd totally review it for the codex (provided your contract doesn't prohibit you from doing this).

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
Doorkickers a.k.a. Swat Simulator ist gut?
It's pretty fun for exactly 5 missions, then you discover the winning strategy and just spam it for every other mission.
As in you do the Plan without any pausing and micro? Because that would suck. (I mean I'd to it with just a Plan but don't want it to be easy as you said)
Most of the levels are made up of you fiddling around with each and every step, corner-check, door breach and so on until you've found the process that'll get your squad through without you even having to pause the game to improvise. iThe game's pretty open to experimentation in regards to tactics, it's just that alot of your options don't really open up until you're like five hours in to the game (iirc you don't even get access to the assault rifle and shield classes until you've beaten a dozen levels with the starter pistol class). So for a long time the most variation you'll get out of your tactics is what kind of rifle you want your guys to carry and what kinds of grenades they use.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
DL7k4Qg.jpg

subotaiy

Cipher
Is Shadowrun Chronicles any good?Anything like the other ones from Harebrained (which btw are on sale on gog)?

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
A detailed, precise, and all-encompassing report on my time playing Contrast:

# I install the game.
# I fire up the game.
# Beautiful music starts playing as the logos play, and seems to perfectly set the mood for the game.
# The title screen appears, and I move the mouse to click a menu option.
# The mouse moves too fast, so I look at the options menu to adjust mouse sensitivity and check out the controls.
# I can't.
# No, really.
# Not only can't I adjust mouse sensitivity, I also can't change the controls. All I get is a screen showing me what keys I can use, and how the controller layout is.
# While I can use the cursor keys instead of WASD to move about, other vital actions assigned to Q and E have no secondary keys, making the cursor keys pointless as I would require 3 hands to play the game.
# I exit the game and spend 10 minutes looking up information on Contrast.
# I find nothing via official means that could help me, and decide to forgo the unofficial means.
# I contact Steam Support and ask for a refund, stating the reason for my request.
# My request is approved within 2 hours.
# Bye bye, Contrast.

This is a damn crying shame. Contrast looks beautiful and promises to be at least a memorable gaming experience. But developers that are so fucking lazy and narrow-minded that they can't bother allowing people to set their own controls deserve no shekels from anyone. Jazzpunk did the exact same thing, but Jazzpunk is a laid-back go-at-your-own-pace adventure game so it didn't really matter. Contrast is a precision-based platformer from what I can tell, being told "Console controller/WASD or Fuck You" is unacceptable.

t

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
is Torchlight 2 worth it for 80% off?
also, is it better than Diablo 3, which i hate?
Torchlight 2 is better then T1. T1 was very Diablo 1-esque, you have the town and the dungeons below, which were pretty generic, but it had some nice mechanics with the pet and was pretty good for several hours of mindless clicking. T2 is way more like Titan's Quest or Dungeon Siege 1 in the sense that you have to travel from place to place. Also the maps aren't that corridor-y, but it's generally the same mechanic of clicking on stuff until it dies.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
This is a damn crying shame. Contrast looks beautiful and promises to be at least a memorable gaming experience. But developers that are so fucking lazy and narrow-minded that they can't bother allowing people to set their own controls deserve no shekels from anyone. Jazzpunk did the exact same thing, but Jazzpunk is a laid-back go-at-your-own-pace adventure game so it didn't really matter. Contrast is a precision-based platformer from what I can tell, being told "Console controller/WASD or Fuck You" is unacceptable.
I sunk a few hours into Contrast. I played it with a ps3 controller as that's my preferred control for platformers, and the game is a mixed experience. The shadow/light play is a neat mechanic, but thus far rather under-utilized. Instead of focusing on the light stuff and making it really top notch they give you other random abilities that don't make sense, or at least one. You get the ability to charge forward with a lot of force. You use this to bust through wooden barriers and to knock things over. I have no idea why this is in the game, it detracted from it in my opinion. The art direction is really cool and the game is very stylish.

Even with a controller, the controls are crap. Jumping and moving feel weird. It's both too sudden and not crisp enough.

It's a shame as I assume this was an indie production and it probably just needs/needed a bit more work fine tuning to really shine.

Whiran

Magister
is Torchlight 2 worth it for 80% off?
also, is it better than Diablo 3, which i hate?
I enjoyed Torchlight 2.

For reference I tend to enjoy all of the diablo-like games. I played Torchlight 2 for longer than I played Diablo 3 however I enjoyed Diablo 3 as well.

I enjoy Path of Exile which I go back to every half year or so.

After I completed Torchlight 2 I did go back to it once and it managed to keep my attention for a few more hours.
Edited to add: I managed to rack up 61 hours all told in Torchlight 2 so it was definitely "worth it" for me.

Basically, if you enjoy that type of game then you'll enjoy Torchlight 2. Torchlight 2 is more like Diablo 2 than Diablo 3.

If you don't like that kind of game then stay away.

LundB

Mistakes were made.
I don't get what people find fun about Diablo type games at all. 100x worse than even the blandest Bethesda action rpg.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
Zombie Army trilogy is on a flash sale for 21euros,is it worth it?What the Kodex Kritical Koncesus?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom