Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The STEAM Sales and Releases Thread

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Is Bound by Flame worth the money?

I played Mars: War Logs and did not hate it, but I bought that for €5 back in the day.

amdus

Arbiter
Sale is total shit so far, grabbed only Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance. Hoped for Panzer Corps to get a 80% discount but retards voted instead for Shitstorm™ :x

Starwars

Arcane
Pretty fun to play through the levels afterwards and rack up points though. You can do pretty fun stuff in that game though it was a huge disappointment coming from the makers of Painkiller.

Still, for that price I'd say it's worth it.

belated

Augur
Doesn't Bulletstorm still have GWFL as well? Definitely not going near it until that's patched out.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Tempted to grab the Microsoft RTS pack. I know those are just cash grabs, but the old versions are barely playable for me. I get annoying graphical glitches in Age of Empires 2 and Rise of Nations refuses to launch no matter what. Didn't even bother try to install the others. Price isn't bad:

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/54651/

Are those editions really horrible? Are the blurry graphics unbearable? Are there really that many bugs? Did they tamper with the games at all?

Unwanted
Douchebag! Shitposter
I get annoying graphical glitches in Age of Empires 2

It can be fixed easily if it's the colour bug and you have windows 7. Look it up.

Are those editions really horrible?

Yes

Are the blurry graphics unbearable?

No. But I still think the vanillas are best played on a computer screen of their respective times.

Are there really that many bugs?

Yes. And very low FPS when many units are on the screen. At least on a 2010 computer. Those games were released in early 2000 so this is quite unnerving.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I have only bought Metal Gear Rising so far. I might grab a few others on the last day, but mostly I just do not feel the need to bloat my library any more, as I have enough games for years, even if I filter out the humble bundle filler.

Astral Rag

Arcane
Heard good things about Spintires, anyone here played it ?

I just tried the demo and found out that this game has a terrible camera and that it doesn't have a cockpit camera... I checked the forum and it turns out that the devs kind of promised to patch in a cockpit view later down the line but it also looks like they have since abandoned their game.

There are some (seemingly half finished) mods out there that might fix this problem but I can't be bothered, if devs return and fix their game I will buy it during a future sale.

http://www.spintires.com/#!/demo

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The Eight Games You Will Buy and Never Play from the 2014 Steam Holiday Sale

8. One of the Metro games for under five dollars

holidaysale2.jpg
Chance that you will buy it: 65%

Why you'll buy it: Every steam sale is required to offer huge discounts on at least three Metro games. Even though they only made two Metro games. They seem to multiply right around the Steam sale. This one has been HD remastered or bundled or something and these games always get such good reviews. Don't you want to walk around an endless sewer level populated with scripted events? It's just like actually visiting the real Moscow subway without all the gay assaults and teenagers passed out drunk in the middle of train cars.

Chance that you will play it: 20%

Why you won't play it: You either mistake the title in your Steam list for a city builder game, and you already have several of those you never play, or you will remember what it is and just keep thinking about how dreadful a whole game in a subway is going to be not knowing that you are also missing out on some really terrible dialogue.

7. Prison Architect for three dollars

holidaysale3.jpg
Chance that you will buy it:
50%

Why you'll buy it: Pulling wings off flies was fun when you were a tween psychopath. Now you can subject entire populations of prisoners to the cruelty you once reserved only for Sims.

Chance that you will play it: 30%

Why you won't play it: There is no way you could devise a prison more cruel and effective than the crippling social anxiety that forces you to squander your brief life locked away playing gimmicky rogue-likes and survival zombie games. Prison Architect only serves as a reminder of the Netflix-gilded cage you have built yourself out of regrets and nachos.

6. A lame old first person shooter on sale for four dollars

holidaysale4.jpg
See:
Bulletstorm, Rage, Painkiller, Duke Nukem Forever
Chance that you will buy it: 90%

Why you'll buy it: Heyyyyy, these are the guys from that old game studio you used to like we're talking about. They couldn't possibly screw everything up. And some of these screenshots don't look half bad.

Chance that you will play it: 80%

Why you won't play it: Oh, you'll probably play it... for less than five minutes. After that point you will realize that they really did screw everything up as you drive a dune buggy in Rage's tiny world, listen to the teeth-grinding dialogue of Bulletstorm, blast another one of 50,000 skeleton witches in a Painkillergame, or actually interrupt the opening introduction of Duke Nukem Forever to Delete Local Content. These are all games that are worse than Call of Duty games and there are good reasons they cost four dollars. And there is no good reason Call of Duty: Ghosts does not cost four dollars.

5. Whatever Hitman or Splinter Cell game is on sale for 90% off

holidaysale5.jpg
70%

Why you'll buy it: You've probably bought one of these two games in the last few years and yet you somehow will manage to forget just enough of how much you hate them to get lured into buying a new one. Hey, these screenshots aren't so bad! Hey, it has a 72 rating and a "Mostly Positive" this must be a good one.

Chance that you will play it: 10%

Why you won't play it: Once you own a Hitman or Splinter Cell game purchased for almost nothing it becomes nearly impossible to mentally justify the time it will take to sneak past a guard. You're an adult playing a game where you wait for an NPC to complete a walking routine down a hallway. This is not why Jesus died to give us life. There aren't even cool ghost powers and steampunks around like you had to convince you to install that 90% off copy of Dishonored.

4. A survival game for eight bucks
holidaysale6.jpg
See:
The Forest, Rust, Neo Scavenger
Chance you will buy it: 75%

Why you'll buy it: Perfectly hits all your key interests in gaming such as merciless almost random permadeath, long hours spent crafting huts and chopping wood, managing water bottles in your inventory, dying from sunburn while trying to build a hutch for turtles, and trying to figure out the safest place to shit. Multiplayer adds a delightful layer of misanthropic hacker fuckwits for you to socialize with while they steal the shoes it took you ten real hours to craft.

Chance that you will play it: 20%

Why you won't play it: Still enjoying the clock that just counts down the hours you have left remaining in your life. 1,503! That seems like a lot, right?

3. A zombie survival game for for ten bucks

holidaysale7.jpg
See:
7 Days to Die, Project Zomboid, How to Survive

Chance you will buy it: 85%

Why you'll buy it: You thought cutting wood for a hut was fun in those survival games, but now you realize how you can cut wood for a hut to protect yourself from zombies. These games take one of life's greatest pleasures (surviving life) and combine it with mankind's greatest foe: hackneyed zombie content intended for people incapable of dressing themselves.

Chance that you will play it: 25%

Why you won't play it: Although you are intrigued by the idea of finding clean drinking water in a world overrun by zombies, you are still busy playing that dang death clock. Ha ha. 1,502! This is wild.

2. Two different gimmicky rogue-likes and a pixel platformer for $1.64

holidaysale8.jpg
Chance you will buy it:
80%

Why you'll buy it: What if every time you die in a rogue-like you could reverse time by ten seconds? What if a rogue-like uses your mp3s to construct levels? How about a rogue-like based on the entire history of jazz? Sure, sounds like fun, but there are also these 950,000 pixel platformers that all received Overwhelmingly Positive reviews from nostalgia cretins and have an insane difficulty level as an homage to great games like Castlevania, Kung Fu, and Kid Icarus. No, that's not placeholder artwork! It's final!

Chance that you will play it: 40%

Why you won't play it: You're tempted to play it, but you have decided to wait until it gets out of Early Access. Just another six years.

1. E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy is being sold for eight cents

holidaysale9.jpg
100% (or you own it already)

Why you'll buy it: As a Steam user, it is mandatory that you own a copy of this perpetually discounted cyberpunk first person shooter game. Buy it now or it will appear in your Steam inventory, forcing you to take the additional steps of activating it in your library.

Chance that you will play it: 0% (no human being has ever played this game)

Why you won't play it: If you think too hard about playing E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy, your E.Y.ES will E.X.P.L.O.D.E. out of your skull.

Honorable mentions: Some anime shit created in RPG maker, one of the dozen or so versions ofCivilization V, a terrible third-person action game like Remember Me, a hidden picture game that tricked you into clicking the store page by having a cool title like Fury of the Ancients, a re-release of an RPG game from 1995, one of those games where you just spin around and shoot at things (aliens, zombies) coming at you, a Paradox game that sells units as DLC, a turn based tactics game trying and failing to copy X-Com or Jagged Alliance, and a Doublefine game that seems like a super cool idea but will absolutely never be finished.

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
There is no way you could devise a prison more cruel and effective than the crippling social anxiety that forces you to squander your brief life locked away playing gimmicky rogue-likes and survival zombie games. Prison Architect only serves as a reminder of the Netflix-gilded cage you have built yourself out of regrets and nachos.

:(

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
Gaben tricked me into buying "The Wolf among us" for 66% on black friday - now this :negative:
Primordia and Gemini Rue are also 1$ cheaper.

How is Bastion? Animu emo crap or good gameplay?
Omerta is also cheap? Boring? Tolerable tb combat?

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
Gaben tricked me into buying "The Wolf among us" for 66% on black friday - now this :negative:
Primordia and Gemini Rue are also 1$ cheaper.

How is Bastion? Animu emo crap or good gameplay?
Omerta is also cheap? Boring? Tolerable tb combat?

Well, when I initially played Bastion I thought it was god's gift to the universe. These days however I realize that it's a fairly shallow action game with a great aesthetic and a story that never actually reaches it potential. See also: Transistor.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
6. A lame old first person shooter on sale for four dollars

holidaysale4.jpg
See:
Bulletstorm, Rage, Painkiller, Duke Nukem Forever
Chance that you will buy it: 90%

Why you'll buy it: Heyyyyy, these are the guys from that old game studio you used to like we're talking about. They couldn't possibly screw everything up. And some of these screenshots don't look half bad.

Chance that you will play it: 80%

Why you won't play it: Oh, you'll probably play it... for less than five minutes. After that point you will realize that they really did screw everything up as you drive a dune buggy in Rage's tiny world, listen to the teeth-grinding dialogue of Bulletstorm, blast another one of 50,000 skeleton witches in a Painkillergame, or actually interrupt the opening introduction of Duke Nukem Forever to Delete Local Content. These are all games that are worse than Call of Duty games and there are good reasons they cost four dollars. And there is no good reason Call of Duty: Ghosts does not cost four dollars.
Most of that list is funny, but this part is just plain retarded.
I had more fun with Bulletstorm than with any Call of Duty I tried to play (there were two of these in total, both uninstalled after less than an hour). While I consider Painkiller mediocre at best, it still was way more interesting than any MMS I have played (CoD, Battlefield, Medal of Honor, you call them). Even Rage is better because of its setting and a lot more player freedom.
I have not played Duke Nukem Forever, to not ruin good DN3D memories.
Also, CoD does not get discounts, because Activion hates them.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
No. But I still think the vanillas are best played on a computer screen of their respective times.

Don't be silly brah.

Yes. And very low FPS when many units are on the screen. At least on a 2010 computer. Those games were released in early 2000 so this is quite unnerving.

Ok, now that's bad.

One thing though, do you have any idea on how to run Rise of Nations? It seems with that game at least i seem to have no choice.

Astral Rag

Arcane
One thing though, do you have any idea on how to run Rise of Nations? It seems with that game at least i seem to have no choice.

I recently installed Rise of Nations Gold and I didn't run into any other problems (my pc: Win7x64, i7, 560ti). It looks like you can use GameRanger to play online.

Edit: apparently you have to tweak some ini file if you want to use a 16:9 res.
http://www.ihaveapc.com/2010/11/how-to-run-rise-of-nations-in-widescreen-resolution-in-windows-7/

Last edited:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
So basically i'm just the unlucky fuck who gets an error no google search can solve.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom