Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds: Spacer's Choice Edition - Obsidian's first-person sci-fi RPG set in a corporate space colony

Yosharian

Arcane

Just FYI and for anyone else who is unaware. The Spacers Choice edition of this game is widely regarded as complete dogshit. It was a remaster initiated by the publisher and done by a company completely unrelated to the original developer, who by all accounts completely botched the job and produced a giant piece of shit that actually managed to make the original game look good by comparison, quite the achievement

Drowed

Arcane

Graphically, the game is not significantly different. Some slight adjustments to the textures and lighting, which arguably makes some scenes better and others worse. The biggest problem by far is the performance, which is disastrous. Even on a 4090 the game stutters and drops to sub-40 frames, with visible stuttering at various times.

I don't know if anything has changed since launch, but if it hasn't, it was a sloppy job.

Mitleser2020

Scholar

Graphically, the game is not significantly different. Some slight adjustments to the textures and lighting, which arguably makes some scenes better and others worse. The biggest problem by far is the performance, which is disastrous. Even on a 4090 the game stutters and drops to sub-40 frames, with visible stuttering at various times.

I don't know if anything has changed since launch, but if it hasn't, it was a sloppy job.

They did update it with several patches.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
Ten hours into the game and it's already hitting me with faggotry. Soyfaggotry. The worst kind.

The UI is terrible console-tard slop. Companions are forgettable and annoying. The humor almost never lands.

It's mediocre. I can see potential, it could have been quite good and it isn't. It's mediocre goyslop.

Can't say I'm excited to continue playing, the story has potential, but the worldbuilding is not good. Another game that is made by corporate boomers. It would have been about 10x better if the worldbuilding had been solid and the companions hadn't been so goddam soyfaggy. Wasted potential.

Ten hours into the game and it's already hitting me with faggotry. Soyfaggotry. The worst kind.

The UI is terrible console-tard slop. Companions are forgettable and annoying. The humor almost never lands.

It's mediocre. I can see potential, it could have been quite good and it isn't. It's mediocre goyslop.

Can't say I'm excited to continue playing, the story has potential, but the worldbuilding is not good. Another game that is made by corporate boomers. It would have been about 10x better if the worldbuilding had been solid and the companions hadn't been so goddam soyfaggy. Wasted potential.
The story never goes anywhere beyond "capitalism bad, hurr durr".
it's an incredibly milquetoast game on all accounts.
one thing i found funny is that they removed the character name censor (used to be you couldn't name your character anything Obsidiots considered even remotely offensive)
other than that yeah, it's a C U C K's RPG.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!

The story never goes anywhere beyond "capitalism bad, hurr durr".
it's an incredibly milquetoast game on all accounts.
one thing i found funny is that they removed the character name censor (used to be you couldn't name your character anything Obsidiots considered even remotely offensive)
other than that yeah, it's a C U C K's RPG.
The companion quest to get that shy lesbian mechanic out of her shell to find love with an older woman really grinds my gears. The lesbo part is annoying enough because why the fuck can't it be normal for once, but the fact that if you imagine that this is a hetero relationship where the young virginal woman is being hit on by an older man who is the commander of a space station and you're suppose to guide them together while the older individual is grooming the younger one with emails and instant messaging... it's just so stupid that would never have been written in an actual game — but since it is lesbians, well I guess we'll just move the bar so low it's touching the floor.

Ryzer

Arcane

character name censor (used to be you couldn't name your character anything Obsidiots considered even remotely offensive)
:abyssgazer:
Why putting a character name censor in a SINGLE-PLAYER RPG? but why?

jackofshadows

Magister
The companion quest to get that shy lesbian mechanic out of her shell to find love with an older woman really grinds my gears. The lesbo part is annoying enough because why the fuck can't it be normal for once, but the fact that if you imagine that this is a hetero relationship where the young virginal woman is being hit on by an older man who is the commander of a space station and you're suppose to guide them together while the older individual is grooming the younger one with emails and instant messaging... it's just so stupid that would never have been written in an actual game — but since it is lesbians, well I guess we'll just move the bar so low it's touching the floor.
The whole asexual dyke char arc is writer's (Dollarhyde) self insert. So one can only imagine the details. You can "kill" her yet you cannot condemn "her". That's is all so cringe, my fucking God.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The companion quest to get that shy lesbian mechanic out of her shell to find love with an older woman really grinds my gears.
You can just tell her to stick to her job and not have to do that quest at all.

Butter

Arcane
Patron

character name censor (used to be you couldn't name your character anything Obsidiots considered even remotely offensive)
:abyssgazer:
Why putting a character name censor in a SINGLE-PLAYER RPG? but why?
Same reason Disco Elysium censors its own dialogue. Shitlibs made it.

Silverfish

Arbiter
The companion quest to get that shy lesbian mechanic out of her shell to find love with an older woman really grinds my gears.
You can just tell her to stick to her job and not have to do that quest at all.

Alternatively, you can do what I did: immediately stop playing at this point, wait a few weeks and start a new run where you don't bother with any of the party members.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

Definitely. It's the sort of game where you're kind of internally urging it on to be good, because it has some good elements, and themes you like in games, and you keep wishing ever so hard that it'll be good, but at some point you just give up and realize it's crap and you've just wasted a dozen or so hours of your life.

Cael

Arcane

Definitely. It's the sort of game where you're kind of internally urging it on to be good, because it has some good elements, and themes you like in games, and you keep wishing ever so hard that it'll be good, but at some point you just give up and realize it's crap and you've just wasted a dozen or so hours of your life.
Sounds like domestic violence...

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
I don't even remember other companions other than first two and the robot. The others seemed so insufferable from the first line of dialogue that I didn't even recruit them.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom