Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The New DOOM Thread (2016)

racofer

Thread Incliner
Let the games begin.

X9D25F2.jpg

Superuser

Educated
To be honest, I don't think anyone would care as much if it didn't have the name 'DOOM' on it.

For that matter, why do you care about the name? Just take the game on its own terms. I've loved Rainbow Six games since 3 for instance, and have enjoyed the Vegas series and Siege a great deal, even though they're completely different. Don't get hung upon the damn name, just look at the game itself. It's not like anyone ever played DOOM for its deep overarching narrative.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Yes, we played it for its excellent gameplay, the one thing modern shooters fail at, utterly and completely.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
The mouse was definitely used in Wolf and Doom but obviously not for looking up and down.

Yeah, but the poster I was replying to, implied it was not used, period.

The first FPS designed with proper mouselook in mind was Beth's Future Shock.

It depends on whether we classify Descent as an FPS.

The full version of DN3D also had mouselook, IIRC the shareware version didn't have that feature.

That would've been very strange. By the time Duke3D came out I was a mouse player, and I do recall playing the demo quite a bit.

You do realize that Doom originally came with keyboard+mouse option, right? I started off as a keyboard-only player, until I started losing to people in modem/IPX games who used the mouse. The mouse control became defacto in original Doom games, way back then.

I originally played Doom much the same way I played Wolf3d, that is using mouse only without touching the keyboard. By contrast half my multiplayer experience in Q1/Q2 was keyboard only, with PgUp/PgDn, and I remember being highly skeptical to WASD when I first encountered it. Now I can't even remember what my finger-placement used to be like.

That would've been very strange. By the time Duke3D came out I was a mouse player, and I do recall playing the demo quite a bit.

Yeah, D3D and Blood were among the games that I would two-hand keyboard. The preconfigured settings work well with that playstyle, while using the mouse even though it is supported generally means either rebinding or having to take your fingers off the movement in order to access inventory or do other stuff.

Last edited:

Baron Dupek

Arcane
To be honest, I don't think anyone would care as much if it didn't have the name 'DOOM' on it.

For that matter, why do you care about the name? Just take the game on its own terms. I've loved Rainbow Six games since 3 for instance, and have enjoyed the Vegas series and Siege a great deal, even though they're completely different. Don't get hung upon the damn name, just look at the game itself. It's not like anyone ever played DOOM for its deep overarching narrative.

With Doom name or not - it's still shit.
Is this THAT hard to understand?

tormund

Arcane
^What the man said.

If not for the name, this would be just another uninspired modern SP shooter that tries to bait players with some nebulously defined "old school" hook. It would get more attention than the likes of Alien Rage and Wrack only due to its budget and Bethesda fanboys.

Superuser

Educated
With Doom name or not - it's still shit.
Is this THAT hard to understand?
There are dozens and dozens of posts expression buttfrustration at the fact it's called 'Doom'. The quality of the game is irrelevant (I personally think it looks boring, FYI). I guarantee you this thread would not run for 79 pages if the game was called anything else.

Superuser

Educated
Even if that was true, so what? Who gives a shit?
You clearly, because you just replied and have been commenting all throughout the thread. It is the reason you have been commenting throughout.

The point is about the hype machine, expectations and why they are not conductive to good discussion on games. You would do well to learn from this.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Bullshit, all of it. And faggy bullshit at that.

The fact remains that the game is a piece of shit. The we care that it is a piece of shit only because it is called Doom is a pointless truism. Good job captain obvious. Now tell us again how that shit is relevant to anything.

The quality of the game is irrelevant

The quality of the game (or lack of thereof) is the entire fucking point of this discussion. Your stupid observations is what's irrelevant here.

pippin

Oh, I do care about Doom 4. Just not in the same way id and Bethesda want me to care about Doom 4 though.

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Pissing Lyric Suite off is like a shared forum pastime. But it's so easy, anyone can do it.

m_s0

Arcane
I first played DOOM, using PrBoom+, in 2014. I used a mouse, where, instead of mouselook, it controlled turning left and right and also controlled movement forwards and backwards. I set the right mouse button to enable STRAFE mode when depressed, the middle button was USE and the wheel controlled weapon selection. I almost never touched the keyboard (except to press ESCAPE), playing the game almost entirely with just the mouse. I think it is quite an interesting user interface.

Am I right to assume that mouse use in the original DOOM was similar (with more keyboard dependence)?
Yup:

Kaucukovnik

Cipher
Why all the anger about the game not living up to monocled standards of yesterday? When original Doom came out, it was just that. Used already surpassed technology and offered it in an undemanding package, with unprecedented gore on top. Ultima Underworld had superior 3D first-person technology, but everyone remembers Wolf 3D and Doom as THE revolution, because nobody could be arsed to buy a top-notch PC or do all the boring reading. Large part of Doom's popularity was also id's marketing genius of offering the first episode for free, it resided on every computer not solely because of its quality.
The new one is shaping up to be exactly that. You don't have to be PC master race, you can just pick it up and play competently, and it has over the top violence all over it. Add Beth/Zenimax marketing machine...
And grognards are sad because kids don't want to invest time in their gaming to get any good. Wake up guys, Doom was THE game that sealed the deal of games being shallow entertainment for easy consumption. Yes, the community made it into much more, but WADs and competitions didn't make id millions, Doom being gory and accessible did. Me and every other kid back then just used cheats and pissed on your revered challenge.
Yeah, when I fire up Doom 1/2 nowadays, I just go in and see how far I get before I die, maybe jump ahead a few maps and give myself a shotgun. But when I was 13? It was all about "There are demons and you slaughter them and it's cool, dude!"

Honestly, the nu-Doom trailers alone have already given me way more enjoyment than Doom 3 in its entire existence. I'd personally like it faster, more distinct art-wise and I hate the glowing drops from monsters, but I don't think we could hope for a better Doom in this day.
The thing I hate the most about it is the name, because is sure as hell doesn't render the original Doom obsolete or anything like that.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Why all the anger about the game not living up to monocled standards of yesterday? When original Doom came out, it was just that. Used already surpassed technology and offered it in an undemanding package, with unprecedented gore on top. Ultima Underworld had superior 3D first-person technology, but everyone remembers Wolf 3D and Doom as THE revolution, because nobody could be arsed to buy a top-notch PC or do all the boring reading. Large part of Doom's popularity was also id's marketing genius of offering the first episode for free, it resided on every computer not solely because of its quality.
The new one is shaping up to be exactly that. You don't have to be PC master race, you can just pick it up and play competently, and it has over the top violence all over it. Add Beth/Zenimax marketing machine...
And grognards are sad because kids don't want to invest time in their gaming to get any good. Wake up guys, Doom was THE game that sealed the deal of games being shallow entertainment for easy consumption. Yes, the community made it into much more, but WADs and competitions didn't make id millions, Doom being gory and accessible did. Me and every other kid back then just used cheats and pissed on your revered challenge.
Yeah, when I fire up Doom 1/2 nowadays, I just go in and see how far I get before I die, maybe jump ahead a few maps and give myself a shotgun. But when I was 13? It was all about "There are demons and you slaughter them and it's cool, dude!"

Honestly, the nu-Doom trailers alone have already given me way more enjoyment than Doom 3 in its entire existence. I'd personally like it faster, more distinct art-wise and I hate the glowing drops from monsters, but I don't think we could hope for a better Doom in this day.
The thing I hate the most about it is the name, because is sure as hell doesn't render the original Doom obsolete or anything like that.
kill yourself

Gentle Player

Arcane
Ultima Underworld is one of my favourite games, but you can't really compare it to Doom in any sense other than technological, the same way comparisons between Ultima VII and Wizardy VII are futile. Doom has been celebrated all these years not because of gore, violence and accessibility (which indeed probably contributed to the bulk of its initial hype, but certainly not to its lasting presence) but because of excellent design; both in levels (I knew exactly what level sexbad? was talking about above from his opening comments alone) and bestiary (each monster is not only visually unique but, for the most part, requires a different response from the player). The weapons, too, each have their place throughout the game, with the exception of the pistol which one hopes to immediately replace, and perhaps the standard shotgun in DOOM 2 (though even there it has its niche role). This sort of purity of design is something that countless successors have failed to replicate over the decades, in quite the same way that no-one has yet to replicate Underworld Underworld (I'm not counting blobbers here, as they play very differently) outside of perhaps the bloody Japanese with King's Field, albeit in a streamlined fashion. That is why there is so much excitement about studios yet again sullying the Doom name.

Riskbreaker

I know this has been posted countless times before, but it's perfect for this particular case as it addresses pretty much all of Kaucukovnik 's shallow misconceptions about Doom:
http://blog.danbo.vg/post/50094276897/the-most-misunderstood-game-of-all-time

Doom is much more than a mindless demon-blasting experience to be fondly remembered and perhaps brought out for its quaint charms now and again. Some people want you to think it is - these are the people looking forward to unnecessary reboots of old IPs like Rise of The Triad, Wolfenstein and bizarrely Shadow Warrior, forever falling back on weapon inventory space and player run speed as indications of game quality.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom