Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The New DOOM Thread (2016)

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
I remember reading a story that what inspired carmack to start work on wolfenstein was seeing a UUW tech demo in some event.

tormund

Arcane
This forum needs some kind of "Worst Post of the Year" award...

and perhaps the standard shotgun in DOOM 2 (though even there it has its niche role).
You are slightly wrong here. Super shoty has much bigger spread that means much bigger damage loss with distance, which means that standard shoty is still useful for distant enemies...
Rest of your post is spot on, like a condensed version of that text Risbreaker linked.

Last edited:

Gentle Player

Arcane
This forum needs some kind of "Worst Post of the Year" award...

and perhaps the standard shotgun in DOOM 2 (though even there it has its niche role).
You are slightly wrong here. Super shoty has much bigger spread that means much bigger damage loss with distance, which means that standard shoty is still useful for distant enemies...
Rest of your post is spot on, like a condensed version of that text Risbreaker linked.

Not that I'm averse to being wrong or anything (I often am :M) but that is exactly what I was referring to when I mentioned its niche role. Generally, the chaingun is better for picking off distant enemies, but the regular shotgun can fill that role if one must conserve ammo.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: THOSE GOOFY FUCKIN GREEN EYES!!! Like that one wad you posted, Ninja Destroyer?

I've finally found it. It was The Rebirth wad. Preety lulzy when it comes to secret levels too.

unKxUGs.png

[I gaze with my little bright green eye]

Kaucukovnik

Cipher
Don't get me wrong, I hate modern shooters, especially military ones. I really love Doom and Quake I+II, along with Unreal. But I also see them as wasted potential.

For example Wolf3D has pretty elaborate sound propagation system, because it was supposed to be a stealth/action game. But during development they said "hey, this is so smooth, enjoyable action, who would want to stealth that?" and the first pure breed 3D shooter was born.
With Doom the idea was basically "How can we 1-up ourselves without causing too much fuss about violence? Killing demons, that's it!" Yes, they did an outstanding job with the level design, art direction and weapon & monster functionality. But I believe that was more of an unconscious thing, along with putting their PnP stories and other influences in there.

Only Tom Hall produced something worthwhile after the "90s id shooter" era, and he was the least happy about Doom among the team.

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
You know I think I can explain things pretty well to those who come to this thread asking: why be upset over a modern shooter, and why expect anything more than what we're getting?

Here's the thing: It's promising us: A new doom. Problem is, it's not doom, and it's not new.

pippin

You know I think I can explain things pretty well to those who come to this thread asking: why be upset over a modern shooter, and why expect anything more than what we're getting?

Here's the thing: It's promising us: A new doom. Problem is, it's not doom, and it's not new.

This is the thing.
They thing Doom was dark, bloody and gritty. But Doom 1 and 2, while having occult themes, were surprisingly colorful. Hell will never be as vibrant and weird as it was in DOOM1. Quake was the "dark" game, but I doubt Doom4 would make for a good Quake game. Just like Doom, the first Quake was the best and the rest just unworthy experiments.

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The aesthethics thing in games nowadays is one of the worst trends in my opinion. I'm really big on aesthetics, atmosphere, setting etc. So seeing all that metal album cover stuff go away is really sad. That and all the other cool art styles seem to have been abandoned. Comparing Diablo 2 and 3 still makes me mad.

Last edited:

pippin

Diablo 2 itself was a washed down theme park version of d&d settings instead of its own thing, like Diablo 1 was. That's another franchise where the first game was good and the rest were just half baked timewasters.
Anything done in metal after 1990 (or by bands formed after 1990 for that matter) is p. bad though, so that art direction was goin to die anyway, just like metal.

Machocruz

Arcane
I'm not upset, my extraocular muscles are just sore from the eye-rolling predictability of it all. The bad taste (blue candy spilling out of monster buttholes when you kill them), the popamole (slo-mo weapon selection), the lazy box art, the banality of the monster designs compared to the superior source material, the claims of "old school" design despite evidence to the contrary, the idiot gamers that believe them.

Besides the lost cause of trying to "update" the already near perfect composition of elements that was DOOM, it doesn't even look like a decent betrayal. Despite being quite different from (and inferior to) the classic UFO Defence, XCOM 2 is p. good in its own right imo, but DIVIVM looks banal and shit and boring. I don't see the joie de vivre of the first two/Doom64, I see a company trying to fake it. For those of us who were kids or teens in the 90s, who listened to metal, who were into dark fantasy, Evil Dead 2/gory horror movies, Aliens, etc., ID just nailed the essence of all those things in one game. The monsters were archetypal of what you'd expect an imp or demon goatman, or zombie marine too look like. What they are going for with the leathery chrome dome imps and hell knights evade me. Some reference to H.R. Giger I suppose, but fail to be interesting creatrues like the Alien, and fail as familiar icons of demonology and the occult (ironically, Giger's depiction of Baphomet doesn't try to reinvent Baphomet).

The aesthethics thing in games nowadays is one of the worst trends in my opinion. I'm really big on aesthetics, atmosphere, setting etc. So seeing all that metal album cover stuff go away is really sad. .
This is the thing.
They thing Doom was dark, bloody and gritty. But Doom 1 and 2, while having occult themes, were surprisingly colorful. Hell will never be as vibrant and weird as it was in DOOM1.

Yep, also what I mean by joie de vivre. They took those familiar themes and visuals and wed them to 80s action movie spirit. Doomguy is Ash, a Space Marine (Cameron or Warhammer, take your pick), and Schwarzenneger/Lundgren starring in a Paul Verhoeven film based on Iron Maiden covers. I don't know what music this new ID team listen to, but it surely isn't very interesting. Probably Celine Deon or some shit.

Btw, I think Killing Floor is the DOOM of today in this regard, but taken from 90s/2000s sources. It has that Rob Zombiie-ish"hellbilly" tone, the grimy visuals and sickly color schemes representative of Se7en, French horror films like Huate Tension and Martyrs, Chris Cunningham's music video work. Of course the influence of new wave zombie films and other games is there.

Astral Rag

Arcane
For a moment I thinked i was watchin a Quacke deatmatch, becaue teh gamez are so similiar LEL !!!!

Teh oldskool is back lolol !!!!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom