Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The New DOOM Thread (2016)

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Quake did have mouselook from the get go. You had to enable it with console command, which most people didn't know about.

Cadmus

Arcane
I don't understand this faggotry, mouselook is the
Only noobs and the ignorant played Quake without mouselook. Sure id "forgot " to give Mouselook a proper spot in the game's options menu but everyone knew about mlook by the end of 96 and I certainly didn't know anybody who kept playing without it :M
I played Quake 3 with the keyboard only.:dance:

pippin

Doom didn't had mouselook because killing things was only half of the game. And it was good like that.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
halo_doom_poster_by_superhermit-d70wccm.jpg
Ve7J5Is.jpg

pippin

We might be in a new era of shitty textures for video games. Wat the fuck is going on? I guess this is still rather early in the whatever-gen so we might have to wait like 3 years to get decent looking games.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
wtf is all this garbage, I don't even

Lol.

nuE1M1:
0:00 - Codex Entry Acquired: LOCATION: Hangar
0:01 - Codex Entry Acquired: WEAPON: Pistol
0:02 - Codex Entry Acquired: ITEM: Health bonus
0:07 - Codex Entry Acquired: HAZARD: Barrel
0:10 - Codex Entry Acquired: MONSTER: Shotgun Guy
0:15 - Codex Entry Acquired: WEAPON: Shotgun
0:17 - Codex Entry Acquired: ITEM: Armor bonus
0:18 - Codex Entry Acquired: ITEM: Armor

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
It seems more like object motion blur is applied to pretty much everything in the stills from all the videos. I wouldn't doubt that the blur is there to mask all the megatexture streaming that's likely going on. Thanks, Carmack.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
It seems more like object motion blur is applied to pretty much everything in the stills from all the videos. I wouldn't doubt that the blur is there to mask all the megatexture streaming that's likely going on. Thanks, Carmack.

Carmack is not involved in idTech 6, and they've discarded this MegaTexture piece of shit technology in this engine.

Harpsichord

Arcane
The only cheating mouselook gives doom is the icon of sin boss, and when you have cliffs and pinky demons huggin walls bellow you, which with mouse look on you can kill them from a safe high place. But without mouselook, you can just move around and kill those beasts from another angle, the end result is the same. So mouselook is only a time shortcut.
Doom auto-aimed along the vertical axis to the point of ridiculousness, so long as the enemy was visible and you were lined up with him along the horizontal axis, the bullets would hit.

In some cases, it would even shoot out of sight enemies who were on a lower vertical level.

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014

Carmack is not involved in idTech 6, and they've discarded this MegaTexture piece of shit technology in this engine.
Have they specifically said they discarded Megatextures? The alpha still had a lot of texture streaming when I played it, but it certainly ran better. Considering that there's a lot of rough terrain meshes in what we've seen, it would make sense (in some respect) to keep using Megatextures and just try to improve them so they don't make your shit stutter all the time.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom