Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Japs do everything better

The Japanese control the RPG business

• Yes

Votes: 37 56.9%
  • Larian will save us

Votes: 28 43.1%

• Total voters

notpl

Arbiter
Japanese games have some pretty consistent problems baked in.
People who believe this shit are retards that played a handful of similar games and assumed everything else was the same. It's no different than some normie that thinks all video games are either mario, fortnite or candycrush.

That one is simply a skill issue. You not speaking their highly context- and tone-dependent language is a "you" problem.
To be fair, translating moonrunes from a script without access to the game (context) it's written for is one hell of an uphill battle, and some of the cultural norms around conversation (like interrupting someone just to prompt them to continue) don't translate well at all.
Exceptions don't disprove a rule. The japs have pathological gamblebrain, over-tutorialize, and overuse school settings. You might as well say western devs aren't pozzed because you can find the occasional game that doesn't prominently feature black lesbians or whatever.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I can't recall a single school setting in a jrpg until like, FF8 rolled around. Ditto for tutorials, for the most part. Maybe play something other than Persona, the series that was stolen for normies that don't like games? And the random drop stuff is just a complete non-issue. Stop being autistic and trying to get every item in the game. If anything it's the western devs that have gamblebrain, can't make a combat system that doesn't give a housecat a 1/10 chance of killing a fucking warrior in plate armour.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Yes, loot in JRPGs is generally like in Wizardry or The Bard's Tale with items with a name you get randomly and you get one or two items after a fight, I never had any problem with this kind of systems, it's fine (by the way Wasteland 2 uses that system and I liked it too while it got trashed too).

I don't really like when items are generated randomly with templates like in Diablo, ToME, Divinity : Original Sin or Might and Magic instead of named items but that's not the same thing.

The %-loot system in FF12 where you'll end the game with all the permits but not one good weapon because a good weapon is always in the same special chest (which repops) but you have 1% to get it (I guess you could also steal a few from bosses) is utter garbage though, I had to mention it, fuck that shit. ;)

Hell Swarm

Educated
Japanese games have some pretty consistent problems baked in. They're completely obsessed with the idea of telling, not showing, and are incapable of presenting a story without making you sit through ten hours of tutorial and backstory before letting you actually play the game. They have a genetic, society-wide addiction to gambling that compels them to fuck up otherwise interesting systems with rarity/grind/loot crate-type mechanics, even in action games like Nioh where bosses can drop new skills for your character to use, but the drop rate is so low that without using a walkthrough you might beat the game a dozen times without ever even realizing that this mechanic exists in the first place. They're also terrified of adulthood and their stories are almost always centered around 13-15 year olds, which is fine but does get a little boring. There's only so many stories you can tell about high school.

The real future for RPGs rests with small teams of autistic eastern europeans and chinese.
You forgot their language is extremely boring to listen to and forces localizers to translate in flowery ways to not be the same dialog 80% of the time. Playing MHS2 I've noticed a constant usage of the same few phrases in dialog over and over. It's just generic garbage so every character can talk in dialog scenes when it could be cut and shorten the game left by multiple hours.
That one is simply a skill issue. You not speaking their highly context- and tone-dependent language is a "you" problem.
Tone dependent doesn't change boring dialog. I can understand what they're saying without subtitles and I could easily cut a major part of any conversation which is effectively characters agreeing with what's just said for no reason other than to have them be part of the conversation. There's also the issue with almost every character being a commercial archtype they can sell you merchandise from. Tom boy girl, moe blob, grumpy one man and the naive hero. Would also be nice if the plot wasn't almost always "Racism is bad and this multiracial team are going to kill God and save the world through love and friendship". Which sums up almost every JRPGs plot.

And the random drop stuff is just a complete non-issue. Stop being autistic and trying to get every item in the game.
Becomes an issue when you're after a certain equipment for your build or your core weapon and it has an insanely low drop rate. Drop rates are cancer in anything that isn't a meat grinder like Diablo or Borderlands where finding loot is the entire point and most the progress system.

Reinhardt

Arcane
There's also the issue with almost every character being a commercial archtype
i'll take classic archetype over le quirky redditor thiefling in wheelchair any day of the week. archetypes exist for a reason. they are relatable.

Hell Swarm

Educated
There's also the issue with almost every character being a commercial archtype
i'll take classic archetype over le quirky redditor thiefling in wheelchair any day of the week. archetypes exist for a reason. they are relatable.
The ditsy girl who can't cook an nearly poisons people with her food while being SUPER GENKI DESU is fucking annoying and not relatable. It's as bad, if not worse than the redditor thiefling. And most JRPGs have le quirky theifling as an annoying mascot who follows you around to explain the world.

I also don't care about relating to characters. I'm not a woman or a nigger. I can enjoy a story totally alien to me on it's own merits without having to insert myself.

Reinhardt

Arcane
I also don't care about relating to characters. I'm not a woman or a nigger. I can enjoy a story totally alien to me on it's own merits without having to insert myself.
no one said anything about self inserting. i'm talking about understanding character and his motivation.
compared to just throw random reddit shit to the ceiling like in bg3. "and... and also she's evil goddess prisestess! and she's evil herself too! but she's also good! and she's chaste! and sucked miles of tranny and bear dicks! and amnesia! and brainwashing! and she murders people in the middle of the night in your camp! and... and..."

The ditsy girl who can't cook an nearly poisons people with her food while being SUPER GENKI DESU is fucking annoying and not relatable. It's as bad, if not worse than the redditor thiefling.
Yes obviously the archetypical trope character is just as bad as the reddit tiefling that will peg you. Really adds up to your focus on linking sodomite samurai artwork in arguments.

Silverfish

Arbiter
Did PC niggers ever stop to think that maybe the reason denuvo exists in the first place is because of PC niggers? It wasn't invented to stop console gamers from buying games. PC niggers confused why dis evil awful ting exist. I have no idea.

Extremely underrated take.

The ditsy girl who can't cook an nearly poisons people with her food while being SUPER GENKI DESU is fucking annoying and not relatable.

It's cool, man. No one here cares if you're gay.

Hell Swarm

Educated
The ditsy girl who can't cook an nearly poisons people with her food while being SUPER GENKI DESU
what do you mean super genki desu? she's emotioneless ultimate murder machine.

no one said anything about self inserting. i'm talking about understanding character and his motivation.
compared to just throw random reddit shit to the ceiling like in bg3. "and... and also she's evil goddess prisestess! and she's evil herself too! but she's also good! and she's chaste! and sucked miles of tranny and bear dicks! and amnesia! and brainwashing! and she murders people in the middle of the night in your camp! and... and..."
How is this any different to all the weeb tropes? She's a bitchy 9001 demon who takes the form of a child and totally hates and torments the wet behind the ears virgin tokyo high school student but actually is madly in love with him. Anime is full of stupidly abusive relationships being played off as cute and wholesome. Which is why you see weeb places full of men seeking abusive women as a positive. BPD whores are not good role models and anime media is full of them.
Yes obviously the archetypical trope character is just as bad as the reddit tiefling that will peg you
Ryoko from Tenchi Muyu fits your description perfectly. She's a tiefling without horns.

Reinhardt

Arcane
The ditsy girl who can't cook an nearly poisons people with her food while being SUPER GENKI DESU
what do you mean super genki desu? she's emotioneless ultimate murder machine.

How is this any different to all the weeb tropes? She's a bitchy 9001 demon who takes the form of a child and totally hates and torments the wet behind the ears virgin tokyo high school student but actually is madly in love with him. Anime is full of stupidly abusive relationships being played off as cute and wholesome. Which is why you see weeb places full of men seeking abusive women as a positive. BPD whores are not good role models and anime media is full of them.
Yes obviously the archetypical trope character is just as bad as the reddit tiefling that will peg you
Ryoko from Tenchi Muyu fits your description perfectly. She's a tiefling without horns.

so bsically you just watched some shitty isekai animu and not even played any games...

Reinhardt

Arcane
i mean i can't even remember when last time i played japanese game about school. probably it was cold steel. but it's game about rean so of course it's shit. in 3 houses there is military academy but mc is teacher.

Reinhardt

Arcane
It is a stock anime joke and I agree it's dumb, but western games wouldn't dare show a woman cooking at all because they view it as a hate crime.
judging by that list in western games it's relegated to men. such fine examples - alistair from dragon age, some male pigdog from assassin creed, ching-chong from jade empire, mass effect 2-3 - males again. haha, funny, males are useless!

Hell Swarm

Educated
It is a stock anime joke and I agree it's dumb, but western games wouldn't dare show a woman cooking at all because they view it as a hate crime.
Most games realize cooking is a waste of time and don't include it in games. For some reason Japan wants to shove it into every possible game to the detriment of most of them. Was final fantasy really improved with cooking?

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
"Dungeon and Dragons" according to modern Western developers

4765DDDF0A609C7E64FC74244D6F781ECF73934E

:codexisfor:

"Dungeon and Dragons" according to modern Japanese developers

GCuMx3KXsAABlz1

:yeah:
Looks like everyone is in a heterosexual relationship in the suggested western approach. Strikes me wishful thinking.

Hell Swarm

Educated
it's bg3, how can you be so sure? wanna bet how many feminine penises under those pants?
Anime fan calls a penis feminine. It starts ironic, then it grows until they want to be the girl with a feminine penis, then the penis must go..

Many such cases. Very sad.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom