Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Japs do everything better

The Japanese control the RPG business

• Yes

Votes: 37 56.9%
  • Larian will save us

Votes: 28 43.1%

• Total voters

Hell Swarm

Educated
The best selling JRPGs have some 1/5 the numbers of GTAV and 1/2 of Skyrim and Witcher 3.

And those had to release the same game twice to get extra sales since almost the entire top 10 best selling JRPGs are pokemon.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
and in crpg you don't even have super secret final boss. just "left click" or "select all+left click" if it's party based all the way to the end.
In some games, yeah.
But not in those with more interesting encounters and/or harder difficulty modes/mods/etc.

Meanwhile... are there even examples of classic turn-based JRPGS that are not as described?
"With little inbetween "too easy" and "complete time-waste"." ?
Because if they exist, I'd like to play them.

Bastardchops

Augur
Patron
This just shows the poverty of your mindset. The fact you feel the need to be better than people who prefer Western RPGs. Most people who prefer CRPGS don't give a shit about JRPGS or the player base.
Don't speak to me about poverty, faggoid. Go bitch about consoles ruining gaming while stealing shit, nigger. Fuck your whore mom.
I never said consoles ruined gaming. You claimed RPG players weren't giving your favorite animePG enough respect and then pivoted to calling PC gamers thieves.
Listen it's alright if people don't like the shit you like.

Bastardchops

Augur
Patron
and in crpg you don't even have super secret final boss. just "left click" or "select all+left click" if it's party based all the way to the end.
In some games, yeah.
But not in those with more interesting encounters and/or harder difficulty modes/mods/etc.

Meanwhile... are there even examples of classic turn-based JRPGS that are not as described?
Fire Emblem maybe?

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Thesheep points out the problems with JRPGS since maybe PS1 Generation?

Deep system that is completely wasted because all encounters are too easy,
except for the optional LAST SECRET FINAL BOSS, who to have any hope of beating you have to run around fighting random battles for 40 hours.

With little inbetween "too easy" and "complete time-waste".
Eh, there's some with decent challenge. People often don't recognize it because they'd rather whine about grinding than admit they could have played better and won through strategy or tactics.

CRPG 'challenge' tends to take the form of reloading the quicksave so you pass your saving throw or whatever, or just outright cheese the fight with hindsight. It's like someone playing chess by taking back their moves every time they lose a piece and feeling smug about what a good player they are.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
"Dungeon and Dragons" according to modern Western developers

4765DDDF0A609C7E64FC74244D6F781ECF73934E

:codexisfor:

"Dungeon and Dragons" according to modern Japanese developers

GCuMx3KXsAABlz1

:yeah:

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
for example?
Any of the BGs and IWDs. The Larian games. To some extent the goldbox ones. Some blobbers (although these tend to go back and forth between the full range of way too easy and go fuck yourself within a single game). Does Fallout Tactics count?
Quite a few indies in the vein of any of those.

Either by their vanilla selves or via mods, you can definitely get to whatever sweet spot of challenge you want for yourself. I never experienced anything close to that sweet spot in JRPGs before Chained Echoes.
Maybe Chrono Trigger? But it's been so long, and I was a dumb kid so who knows.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
PC gamers are thieving lying niggers, always have been. They blame consoles but people who own consoles pay money. The PC gamer was and always will be the decline.

"If only dey put it on da PC I woont steals it"

*game releases on PC*

"Oh denuVO, i stealin dis bitch"

Fuck your whore mom. YOU, are the decline.
Sounds like someone's upset they don't know how to pirate console games.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
lolwut. literally "select all + left click"
Ah, okay, so you've never played these games.

That strategy simply wouldn't work there for the majority of fights unless you are talking about trash mob fights (which these games have too many of, yes, didn't say they were perfect).
Or unless you count reloading every few minutes as "the way to play".
Honestly, go do it. I wanna see some of the encounters in the optional BG1 areas resolved by just "select all + left click" :lol:
Hell, so many encounters in the IWDs are simple not doable doing that.
I think you are just talking out of your ass.

At higher levels, sure, some point past lvl12-15 or so the DnD video games just tend to break down and you become unstoppable with few fights as an exception.
But that's where SCS comes in, to up the challenge a bit.

Last edited:

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat
Best poll I ever made. Resembles my stiff cock. The Japanese are the victors and the votes will continue to fall in their favor when the GOTY launches this weekenf. Fuck niggers

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
In some games, yeah.

I think a "traditional" (in the sense of something like Final Fantasy 7) JRPG which does not waste your time and present some challenge would be Breath of Fire : Dragon Quarter. You can probably emulate it very easily and it takes like 15 hours to beat.

Obviously just like I don't think Wizardry or The Bard's Tale waste my time there are plenty of other, old ones especially, that I don't think waste my time either but even if you think they do I think Breath of Fire : Dragon Quarter is one you can try. You're meant to complete the game 20 times to unlock all the story, cut scenes or whatever, yet I played it once up to the end and was perfectly fine with that.

Ruina i an indie one with only handcrafted content. It used to be free and they picked it up to make a commercial version which will likely be gargabe but so far the free translated version seems to be still available.

Any of the BGs and IWDs.
lolwut. literally "select all + left click"
Does Fallout Tactics count?
hmmm... no? i mean it's just "grab big machinegun and explode everything". calling it "tactics" is an insult to all tactic games everywhere. i have to admit - "explode" part was gud, old fallouts had beautiful gore, but other than that? hah.
If you don't think the encounters in Icewind Dale are good enough then I'm not sure I ever player a JRPG with good enough encounters, I'm not sure what your point is actually.

Reinhardt

Arcane
I wanna see some of the encounters in the optional BG1 areas
which ones?
If you don't think the encounters in Icewind Dale are good enough then I'm not sure I ever player a JRPG with good enough encounters, I'm not sure what your point is actually.
i'm not saying they are not good, i'm saying they are not hard. encounter don't need to be super challenging to be memorable. iwd doing "memorable" part right. first iwd is best infinity game.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
I wanna see some of the encounters in the optional BG1 areas
which ones?
The genie near the firewine bridge comes to mind.
Or the sirens.
Or the basilisks.
Or Drizzt.
Or Mulahey (okay, not optional, but still good luck just rushing in blindly into that one).

Sure, a few of those can be made (much) easier with the right preparation.
But that preparation itself and figuring it out is part of the challenge.

i'm not saying they are not good, i'm saying they are not hard. encounter don't need to be super challenging to be memorable. iwd doing "memorable" part right. first iwd is best infinity game.
You are making the mistake here in arguing from the perspective of someone who already overcame the challenges and figured all the stuff out.
At that point, sure, you solved all the "puzzles" already and doing it again would be (mostly) easy (though RNG can still mess with you) - but that's when you move on to other games you haven't yet figured out.

Replaying BG1+2+ToB now even with SCS wouldn't be much of a challenge anymore for me and I'd only do it for the nostalgia kick, but I must've spent hundreds of hours to get to that point that were mostly spent in a very enjoyable challenge "sweet spot".

There aren't really many games, especially not RPGs, that don't become easy once mastered.

notpl

Arbiter
Japanese games have some pretty consistent problems baked in. They're completely obsessed with the idea of telling, not showing, and are incapable of presenting a story without making you sit through ten hours of tutorial and backstory before letting you actually play the game. They have a genetic, society-wide addiction to gambling that compels them to fuck up otherwise interesting systems with rarity/grind/loot crate-type mechanics, even in action games like Nioh where bosses can drop new skills for your character to use, but the drop rate is so low that without using a walkthrough you might beat the game a dozen times without ever even realizing that this mechanic exists in the first place. They're also terrified of adulthood and their stories are almost always centered around 13-15 year olds, which is fine but does get a little boring. There's only so many stories you can tell about high school.

The real future for RPGs rests with small teams of autistic eastern europeans and chinese.

Reinhardt

Arcane
The genie near the firewine bridge comes to mind.
Or the sirens.
Or the basilisks.
Or Drizzt.
Or Mulahey (okay, not optional, but still good luck just rushing in blindly into that one).
i always playing melee so sirens and basilisks are just free exp. just buff and solo, while everyone else is sitting near the edge of the map. so yes - technically it's not "select all+left click" it's just "left click". mulahey is not even hard. only drizzt needs preparation.

Hell Swarm

Educated
Japanese games have some pretty consistent problems baked in. They're completely obsessed with the idea of telling, not showing, and are incapable of presenting a story without making you sit through ten hours of tutorial and backstory before letting you actually play the game. They have a genetic, society-wide addiction to gambling that compels them to fuck up otherwise interesting systems with rarity/grind/loot crate-type mechanics, even in action games like Nioh where bosses can drop new skills for your character to use, but the drop rate is so low that without using a walkthrough you might beat the game a dozen times without ever even realizing that this mechanic exists in the first place. They're also terrified of adulthood and their stories are almost always centered around 13-15 year olds, which is fine but does get a little boring. There's only so many stories you can tell about high school.

The real future for RPGs rests with small teams of autistic eastern europeans and chinese.
You forgot their language is extremely boring to listen to and forces localizers to translate in flowery ways to not be the same dialog 80% of the time. Playing MHS2 I've noticed a constant usage of the same few phrases in dialog over and over. It's just generic garbage so every character can talk in dialog scenes when it could be cut and shorten the game left by multiple hours.

H. P. Lovecraft's Cat

SumDrunkCat

I don't think we have the same definiton of jrpg.

notpl

Arbiter

You forgot their language is extremely boring to listen to and forces localizers to translate in flowery ways to not be the same dialog 80% of the time. Playing MHS2 I've noticed a constant usage of the same few phrases in dialog over and over. It's just generic garbage so every character can talk in dialog scenes when it could be cut and shorten the game left by multiple hours.
That one is simply a skill issue. You not speaking their highly context- and tone-dependent language is a "you" problem.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Japanese games have some pretty consistent problems baked in.
People who believe this shit are retards that played a handful of similar games and assumed everything else was the same. It's no different than some normie that thinks all video games are either mario, fortnite or candycrush.

That one is simply a skill issue. You not speaking their highly context- and tone-dependent language is a "you" problem.
To be fair, translating moonrunes from a script without access to the game (context) it's written for is one hell of an uphill battle, and some of the cultural norms around conversation (like interrupting someone just to prompt them to continue) don't translate well at all.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom