Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News The Golden Baby Flaps Its Wings: Grimoire Demo Released!

EG

Nullified
Does this mean he not failing to check file write permissions after creating said file and that there isn't some issue with DirectSound, but really is MSVC's STL after all, Tramboi? :(

Aw.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Which makes me think : why is this a video game? Don't take it harshly at all, it's not meant to be edgy or condescending, more like a genuine question. What can that game provide that I can't already do on a board or with sheets of paper?

1980: "Hey, guys, you know our pen&paper games and all that jazz? What if we could offload all the mundane calculations on one of these personal computers everyone's talking about? And imagine- just imagine, we could have like, a visual portrayal of our adventures! It would be like traveling to another world! We live in exciting times! And what if, later, we could perhaps use the university link to ArpaNET (I know I know, totally wilding out here), to like, connect and play together in these worlds? Wouldn't that be totally wizard?"

2013: "Hey guys, why are we using computers when we could use pen&paper! So what, even if it does take 30 minutes to calculate a single move? It will teach us the much-needed virtue of patience!"

Akarnir

Educated
Which makes me think : why is this a video game? Don't take it harshly at all, it's not meant to be edgy or condescending, more like a genuine question. What can that game provide that I can't already do on a board or with sheets of paper?

1980: "Hey, guys, you know our pen&paper games and all that jazz? What if we could offload all the mundane calculations on one of these personal computers everyone's talking about? And imagine- just imagine, we could have like, a visual portrayal of our adventures! It would be like traveling to another world! We live in exciting times! And what if, later, we could perhaps use the university link to ArpaNET (I know I know, totally wilding out here), to like, connect and play together in these worlds? Wouldn't that be totally wizard?"

2013: "Hey guys, why are we using computers when we could use pen&paper! So what, even if it does take 30 minutes to calculate a single move? It will teach us the much-needed virtue of patience!"

relax, if you read my whole post i already acknowledge that the speed was an argument. I clearly asked , what does this game add to the experience except for less time consumed.

And I also specifically stated that this wasn't criticism, just a question about what features the game brought.

Even if I play chess on the internet, I don't consider online chess to be a video game. Can the same reasoning apply to this game?
Is this an electronic board game?

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
You can play Doom or you can take a joystick and have another person move action figures on the table going "pewpew".

Whichever's your sort of thing.

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
Offtopic:

I just finished reading Cleve's prestigious short novel about 92' kwazanian riots.
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1005984__ARCHIVED_THREAD____Interesting_take_on_the__92_LA_riots___or_how_thin_our_veneer_of_society_is_.html&page=1

I was misinformed, Cleve doesn't kill anyone with an ass' jawbone. :mad: But the siege of Quick Mart and a riot shield made of Mexican dwarf gangsta left me entertained and carving for more.

Anyway, I'm looking for more epic Clevology tales. Any suggestions?
(I already know, of course, the legendary Stones of Arnhem saga).

Moribund

A droglike
Did someone just come on a computer RPG site to ask why someone would make a computer RPG gaem?

:bravo:

Also there's two answers.

1. I'm a busy guy. I'm not such a busy guy I can't be bothered to do turn based combat but busy enough I'm not gonna spend a whole weekend with some other dudes arguing about whether a build is legal especially when

2. Most of them are a bunch of larping creeps these days anyway. No elf ears allowed.

@ tramboi well if completely avoiding it is winning, you are a Big Winner! Don't worry, it's OK to cry.

@ Cleve - I had serious issues with VS 2010 and moved back to 2008.

Moribund

A droglike
You moron, Cleve is talking about bugs in the MSVC STL compared to STLPort and trying to ridicule me because "it is well known the MS STL corrupts memory". I'm still waiting for him to exhibit these "well-known bugs".
He speaks about bugs in vector insert and removes : it is about iterators invalidation. Even if you don't understand the terms.
You guys can't play it technical? I guessed that earlier. Even if I didn't ship several games (3d engines) and contributions to several open source projects, which is *not the point*, he'd still have to prove this.
That's how it works, it is called computer *science*.
I encounter codegen bugs in MSVC regularly but I've still to be shown a bug about their standard containers.
You don't see the difference?
And PJ Plauger/Dinkumware are the author of their STL, do your research.

Yes, and I experienced the same exact bugs with 2010 which is part but not all of the reason I switched back to 2008.

YOU SAY it's iterator invalidation, so far though everything YOU SAY paints you as a FUCKING IDIOT. I avoid STL like the plague but when 2010 came out it was riddled with bugs and decline, and was never properly fixed.

Blah blah blah Open Sores! You mean people could steal your game? Oh, I didn't think of that! Oh, you have an Open Sores library and no one ever helps you but you constantly get emails and PMs asking for stupid shit? Oh my.

And boost people have LONG SINCE recommended use of STLPort, really you are a clueless twit.

Still waiting for you to prove you are anything but a fraud.

Tramboi

Prophet
Patron
So you don't use the MS STL but you have bugs with it?
Now I'm happy to know there are only 50 programmers like you in the whole world, bro.
I don't have to prove nothing, you're the ones making the unfounded claims about Dinkumware containers.
And I'm debunking your bullshit.

By the way this is getting tiring, so if you can make a valid technical claim, make it or shut up, I probably won't answer anymore.

Moribund

A droglike
So you don't use the MS STL but you have bugs with it?
Did I say that at some point? Nope, wrong again as always.

I had a lot of bugs but heap corruption in general was a problem. I traced it down to VC++ now correctly doing debug memory management. So it's not only completely plausible Cleve got corruption, it's pretty much a certaintly if he was using an early version of VS 2010.

Now I'm happy to know there are only 50 programmers like you in the whole world, bro.
I don't have to prove nothing, you're the ones making the unfounded claims about Dinkumware containers.
And I'm debunking your bullshit.

AGAIN, dumbfuck, never once did *I* make any claim about MS STL having bugs. I already said what the bug was (which has pretty much been confirmed, and you chalked down to something completely left field and retarded), however I am sure cleve got heap corrutpion because I did too, and found the bug out.

However MS STL implementation IS shit, and it is not recommended by anyone with a brain, and not recommended by boost people either. You are an idiot. I realize this is just lame backpedalling but seriously, grow up and shut up. No one cares what your pathetic judgemental opinion is...and it's clearly fucking wrong.

By the way this is getting tiring, so if you can make a valid technical claim, make it or shut up, I probably won't answer anymore.
Wow, no sense of irony in you, is there. You can sit thousands of miles away and judge someone else's problems.

But you're just guessing, completely full of shit.

That's the point here. Even if you were correct I'd tell you to shut your fucking piehole.

However, and this reminds me so much of theSHEEP pulling the same bullshit a couple days ago, you're pulling all this completely out of your ass. It's a fantasy.

Much like all the fantasy bullshit you talked about open source. So you've never done it yourself, obviously, unlike me, or you'd not be surprised at the results.

Moribund

A droglike
Fucking aspie know it alls. Like I said to the other guy, you can't just learn programming. It's not a knowledge domain, you have to be able to think and reason stuff out and that seems impossible for most people.

A reasonable person might say "are you sure it's in the STL" not demand proof there's bug in MS STL when he got heap corruption using it. Fuck's sake.

Of course a reasonable person who's not a complete asshole wouldn't try to tell someone their job from around the world at that kind of low level without knowing for certain what's going on.

Tramboi

Prophet
Patron
Snipped the whiny angst...

You DO remember that Cleve was claiming MSVC STL was buggy as hell and evrybody knew it, don't you? Which was the initial technical point.

Edit: Jaesun is right, let's cut it. See you in the development world, Moribund!

Tramboi

Prophet
Patron
This is like watching the Special Olympics.
Sadly I have a strange OCD : when I see technical bullshit that might be believed by some people, I feel compelled to intervene.
Sorry for the fuss. Of course it wouldn't happen on a technical forum where one of the two contenders would be lynched by the mob.

Moribund

A droglike
Snipped the whiny angst...

You DO remember that Cleve was claiming MSVC STL was buggy as hell and evrybody knew it, don't you? Which was the initial technical point.

Edit: Jaesun is right, let's cut it. See you in the development world, Moribund!

The problem is you, not Cleve, and certainly not me.

Cleve said two things. One that it has a history of bugginess. WHICH YOU ADMITTED.

Two, he experiences bugs while using it. WHICH YOU DON'T DISPUTE.

So you are being a pedantic dipstick, plainly put. Also the iterator comment is stupid, and just a big assumption on your part about what's going on.

It's not unreasonable for him to assume that it has bugs when he sees buggy behavior as he uses it and it has a history of bugginess.

He also pointed out the boost people said the same and encouraged everyone to do the same, whih you disputed but is common knowledge.

Sadly I have a strange OCD : when I see technical bullshit that might be believed by some people, I feel compelled to intervene.
Sorry for the fuss. Of course it wouldn't happen on a technical forum where one of the two contenders would be lynched by the mob.

And...aspie. DEAR GOD never say shit about programming on the internet ever again. People like you are the fucking bane of the web. Youmake stupid leaps in logic, can't understand basic english because you have no social skills, and you think that programming is all about reading up on shit and then being in the know. AND you guys are attracted to techie talk.

You derail and ruin basically every website discussion in history, just like you did with this one.

Rpgsaurus Rex

I never really played any of these kind of video games, so forgive my blatant ignorance. I'm simply tying to decide if I should invest hours (and jew gold) on this game.

The appeal is to people who played W6/7 to death and want something similar. For a total newbie, both are probably superior to Grimoire in its current or predicted future state (except for size - Grimoire wins here, assuming Cleve's 600 hr promise is true).

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
Good for you.
Of course you realize it will never make you win a technical argument, though. Which is my cross to bear presently.
To each his own.

Or - those who can, contract.

Those who can't, become desk mushrooms wherever anybody will take them.

If you could contract for a living, you would. In the human ecosystem, permanents as a rule are what is left in the basket when the good puppies have all been taken.

There is nearly 100+ years of research to show that transient staff in the form of contractors, temps, consultants achieve all productive work inside of corporations without exception. They are also the most technically competent people, the best at organizing and scheduling work, the best at achieving results in limited time frames. The permanent staff almost without exception are like barnacles - they are a form of parasitic growth that tries to attach itself to the hull of companies where it can't be easily blown off without high powered equipment. They specialize year-to-year in coming up with complex explanations for why they never seem to actually accomplish anything that can be seen, heard, felt or smelt of any kind.

When Dr. Peter Lawrence had his press conference to reveal his research in the 70's, one of the journalists in the audience held his hand up and asked a very good question. "If these transients are responsible for all productive work inside companies, then what do permanent staff do?" To which Lawrence famously replied "Organize and campaign for the dismissal, termination and transfer of transient staff." Everybody in the room laughed really hard, partly in shock and partly in amusement. Then there was a long, long uncomfortable silence. Dr. Lawrence had just completely overturned all conventional paradigms for reality since the Middle Ages and what human beings thought the world was like in only ten minutes. That was just his first salvo. His research had uncovered so many mind bending things that an ordinary person would never really have the brains to understand any of it.

Within ten years, Lawrence was largely forgotten. Ordinary people have memories like mayflies. The only thing that has remained is the crude appraisal of his work as "People are promoted to their level of incompetency." It is the summary of a child on the works of William Shakespeare.

EG

Nullified
http://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/716468

:troll:

Heap corruption with STL.

Among 500 other bugs in the STL fixed in the move to VS2011 . . .

Moribund and Tramboi, you're supposed to be programmers, yet you can't google . . . :(

(except for size - Grimoire wins here, assuming Cleve's 600 hr promise is true).
Considering how long it takes to resolve a battle if you don't speed it up, I can see that being true.

Hold down the enter key and hope someone doesn't die.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom