Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Fire Emblem Thread

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
Already stated in the thread that I've played all of the 3d ones. I don't like 2d for this type of game.
I've read that thracia776 apparently has the best maps of the series. So that might be something to consider, if you like tactical JRPGs. I'm currently doing a FE marathon where I play all maps of all games in release order, currently just on map 5 of the first game (of 25 maps in that game).

gamerguy

Educated
omg the maps where you fight the emblems unlocks more inherited skills

mind blown again BBL

With the 3DS eshop closing next month, what Fates DLC is worthwhile? I have the special edition that had Revelation and I think a few other DLC, though I did one episode and didn't like it (the one with the ugly dudes with star tattoos on their faces). I heard that there is a DLC saga with the kids from the future like Awakening but is that one good? Were any of the DLCs that didn't come to the West get fantranslations?

gamerguy

Educated
Level 17 done. That was a fun map. It turns out you can control aggro, though it's a little tricky. Emblems make these bosses tougher for me, and it's easy to aggro the whole map. 6 bosses, all with emblems. Eeek

I also realized you can save your game mid-battle on hard difficulty. I haven't loaded mid-battle, but it seems like they might as well give you all the crystal uses you want... I had to use like 5 or 6 ctrl-z, but I made it.

That dragon vein ability is so good. I can checkerboard the terrain with water every turn and kite a whole army with a single unit (Clanne). I kill stuff on their turn anyway, but now I can use their hindered movement to mitigate chain attacks and buff our HIT on some units at the same time. Fucking fun.

Derringer

Prophet
So yeah, more or less the first. I can't conment on three houses. I suck at paying attention at story and have been trying to challenge myself. I bought three big story games recently. Triangle strategy, disco elysium, and persona 5 are all up next. Maybe I should try Three Houses too.
fuck story in video games, especially fire emblem story.

even the story in pst which is heralded to have the best writing is your average amateur writing garbage compared to real books. and disco doesn't even have a story, it's mostly just info dumps by npcs and weird conversations with yourself.

my suggestion, stick to gameplay, and watch a movie or tv show if you want story.
Some older JRPGs have alright stories but I couldn't think of too many games in general with good stories let alone most literature in general when genres themselves are just clones of a 'classic' usually.

Tigranes

Arcane
The GB-era Fire Emblems are very good to play now, and often a cleaner experience without the baggage of the current titles. Thracia can be a bit inscrutable but excellent. Berwick Saga is really where the max hardcore is at.

All things considered I like Engage's gameplay. The Emblems give huge flexibility for fun builds and there are some fun builds to work with and a decent challenge for them in Maddening. It remains a godsend to be able to skip every single cutscene. I didn't think anything could get even more offensively stupid than the opening scenes, but the later 'twists' are even worse. It's like some barely literate pedophile with brain damage tried to write a Teletubbies episode.

gamerguy Corrin has even better synergies with thiefs - e.g. Yunaka can literally go anywhere and attack anything after dropping fog - but there's also fun things to be done with Draconic Hex; you can stick Corrin on Ivy or a Longbow character for example to hex / immobilise groups of enemies from far away. You can even inherit Hex on a Lucina character and have them Backup graze everything you ever touch to put Hex on the entire enemy army. (Also if you want story there are a million better stories out there in so many different media forms, or even in video games, than anything Fire Emblem. Three Houses is still dumb as fuck, literally better to watch a Nickelodeon or something.)

Some "laugh in the face of Maddening" setups I've found, though by no means optimal:
  • Panette is the enemy phase chainsaw murderer this time. Wrath / Vantage / Ike = 100+ damage smashes on everything.
  • Martial Master + Lucina = 100% Bonded Shield. Find a way to keep the Master themselves fairly defensible (e.g. Dual Support) and you have 5 practically invulnerable characters in enemy phase.
  • Halberdier + Elrika + Brave Lance = often guaranteed quad-hits for 70+ or even 100+ damage on all late game bosses
  • If you happen to get an Olwen S ring by luck - any high Mag low Spd mage with forged Thunder tome for auto doubling will smash any armour user right until endgame. You can even do this with Lindon and use their personal skill, and maybe combine Wrath / Vantage, and you'd have a 100% guaranteed double crit thunder user able to retaliate any attack in 1-3 range!

gamerguy

Educated
The GB-era Fire Emblems are very good to play now, and often a cleaner experience without the baggage of the current titles. Thracia can be a bit inscrutable but excellent. Berwick Saga is really where the max hardcore is at.

All things considered I like Engage's gameplay. The Emblems give huge flexibility for fun builds and there are some fun builds to work with and a decent challenge for them in Maddening. It remains a godsend to be able to skip every single cutscene. I didn't think anything could get even more offensively stupid than the opening scenes, but the later 'twists' are even worse. It's like some barely literate pedophile with brain damage tried to write a Teletubbies episode.

gamerguy Corrin has even better synergies with thiefs - e.g. Yunaka can literally go anywhere and attack anything after dropping fog - but there's also fun things to be done with Draconic Hex; you can stick Corrin on Ivy or a Longbow character for example to hex / immobilise groups of enemies from far away. You can even inherit Hex on a Lucina character and have them Backup graze everything you ever touch to put Hex on the entire enemy army. (Also if you want story there are a million better stories out there in so many different media forms, or even in video games, than anything Fire Emblem. Three Houses is still dumb as fuck, literally better to watch a Nickelodeon or something.)

Some "laugh in the face of Maddening" setups I've found, though by no means optimal:
  • Panette is the enemy phase chainsaw murderer this time. Wrath / Vantage / Ike = 100+ damage smashes on everything.
  • Martial Master + Lucina = 100% Bonded Shield. Find a way to keep the Master themselves fairly defensible (e.g. Dual Support) and you have 5 practically invulnerable characters in enemy phase.
  • Halberdier + Elrika + Brave Lance = often guaranteed quad-hits for 70+ or even 100+ damage on all late game bosses
  • If you happen to get an Olwen S ring by luck - any high Mag low Spd mage with forged Thunder tome for auto doubling will smash any armour user right until endgame. You can even do this with Lindon and use their personal skill, and maybe combine Wrath / Vantage, and you'd have a 100% guaranteed double crit thunder user able to retaliate any attack in 1-3 range!

shit yeah!... i thought some of these inherited skill strategies would come to me faster, but I've just scratched the surface with +AVO mainly for Alear, and have been saving everyone's SP till an idea strikes me.

I hope I stay interested long enough to dig that deep. I just need to shrug off this backlog of videogames and enjoy myself.

...which GB one would you recommend. I love the idea of playing an old handheld version, with just streamlined core gameplay

i've been itching to buy a gba lately amyway

edit:

i've been eyeballin this Dual Support... do an AVO front line... i kinda am anyway, but keep those single digit hit chances closer to 0

i put Bonded Shield on my sage that used to have chain guard, now I can still use, heal, but can nuke too... being offensive in the right situation instead of useless that turn... plus you don't have to self heal every time to use bonded shield

that's about the extent of my genius... Clanne, Luise and Alear can tank just about any situation, but I'm jealous of the damage in your post... the best I do are crits from 100-130, 50% chance for luise, 20ish I think for clanne... though i use the always hit range 1 tomb... thunder probably is smarter for that kind of damage

Last edited:

Tigranes

Arcane
FE6-8 (the GBA games) aren't hugely different from each other, and easy to emulate. FE6 is more challenging, FE7 is probably the more widely liked all rounder. If Engage was your first FE it'd be fun to go back and recognise the characters - e.g. Roy in FE6.

gamerguy

Educated
Pretty sure you have to play those games on an unlit gba screen with a knot in your neck for the authentic experience though.

I'd love one of these cheap gba players if the discs weren't so fucking expensive.

Thank you for the gameboy recommendations. Watch them announce a gba FE collection like the advance wars one... just as soon as I drop some cash on nastalgia hardware.

i should just emulate them

gamerguy

Educated
FE6-8 (the GBA games) aren't hugely different from each other, and easy to emulate. FE6 is more challenging, FE7 is probably the more widely liked all rounder. If Engage was your first FE it'd be fun to go back and recognise the characters - e.g. Roy in FE6.

Well that's good, cause 6 was affordable.

I can't believe I just bought another gba player. :o

edit: wow etsy is the place for cheap replicated carts... fuck it lol

Last edited:

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
square tiles make positioning more important bc it takes more steps to avoid shit than on hexagonal

gamerguy

Educated
Leif's prologue is fun, so many mobs to stomp, but he just hangs out like a derp in ballista range and you can 3-range him to death from there.

gamerguy

Educated
I feel like I'm just spamming this thread but...

The Connector is a great map. You can tell they want to poke at your army, take control and make sure it's well developed.

A good strategy for me was to let him stay alive and follow him to the top before killing him, then you can get the Pact Ring which spawns everything.

That way you can one at a time the groups of enemies with your whole force instead of being stuck in the middle when they (kinda dickishly) change the victory parameter.

...hope I got that tag right from my phone.

Thorakitai

Learned
>This TearRing Saga character is considered politically incorrect because of blackface.

Basically, her optional paired ending has her reveal that she dirtied herself and wore masculine clothing due to her traumatic past.

So this is what she truly looked like:

It's a rather silly reasoning but her being deemed as "blackface" goes way too far.

Last edited:

Thorakitai

Learned
You forgot to mention it was banned from two mod communities, Gamebanana and Loverslab, the former gave some rather bullshit reasoning about how the patch "doesn't respect the developers".

gamerguy

Educated
Chapter 25

OMG yes!! Fuck yeah that is a great map.

At first, it seems like the waves and waves of enemies in this map are endless. It feels like there's no way but to rush rush rush before you are overrun. The youtube videos I have seen that finish this map in 1/2 rounds are fucking rad, but it's a gimmick.

Map 25 is the hardest and easiest map in the game, and not because you can cheese warp a few goku guys to the end in round 1. The Final Guardian is just checking your army. If you can run two 3x1 front lines with AVO, the waves of enemies are just fun. Dual Support is the best inherited skill in this game... at least in my non-expert, can't beat maddening difficulty opinion (lol).

Anyway the first groups spawn from behind you. They spawn in groups of three every turn... flyers on the right, infantry on the left. Do you have 6 ok units? Or did you focus ALL your energy on one or two Goku motherfuckers, in which case enjoy your cheese.

The second groups spawn up ahead before the doors. They will be spawning ahead and behind at the same time. The first spawn points will stop after 4-5 turns (can't remember), and eventually the spawns ahead of you will too. I do the same fucking thing, 3x1 line of troops on both routes... they can't hurt you... smoke a bowl or something.

The big ass laser beam made me fucking laugh, because they know where you are gonna be on the map, and the stuff in your way is on point. Simply maneuver in the small column breaks while trying your best to maintain your front line of three, maybe four diagonal units.

The final room is ez pz. The boss, two mages, two healers, and two lizards just kick it there... You have plenty of time to clear the room ahead of them using the same front line strategy. Once you are ready to engage the boss... guess what... you need three units to tank all 8 of them.

Best fucking map in the game so far.

...props to the cheesemongers out there, but playing this map straight up is easier and more fun for me personally. I admire your skills finishing round 1 tho. Way cool.

spekkio

Arcane
BROs, I've decided to jump on the bandwagon and start playing the newest Fire Emblem too.

Strange thing is, it looks kinda different than on other fags' screenshots:

KlpV0Wq.jpg

:?

gamerguy

Educated
Chapter 26. Last boss. I have mixed feelings about this map.

First phase is an easy round 1 affair, but it got tricky for me after that. I tried splitting up in two groups, and made it through almost all the emblems before finally losing a unit. I started over because I was being stubborn about anyone dying.

My next try, I stuck together, and tried to fight him in between the waves of four emblems when he drops his shield for a round. I was able to damage him, but his healers were able to make up for it easily before the next wave. I noticed this and my strategy kind of fell apart as I seperated and lost a couple units to adds.

Finally I decided to try with only two dark emblems defeated. You can kill them the first turn, and then just AVO tank the dragon for low damage attacks that will chip him down. Units that will obviously die too fast can deal with adds. Avoid laser, repeat.

I guess learning and executing the map should reward you with an easier strategy. I was working pretty hard my first try and almost rounded that corner of killing all three waves (I assume it stops at 12), but really there was a much easier strategy.

Fun game. I never really played strategy games before, but am totally interested in the genre now. I am proud I made it through on hard/classic difficulty. Props to those that finished this game on maddening... jfc.

edit: after-credits notification says clear data saves your army as it was before ch26, so I guess that means nobody but Alear has permadeath for the last fight.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom