Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate The Baldur's Gate Series Thread

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
I think you mean Korgan.

As for haste, there may not be enough boots but there are other items that haste the character permanently when worn. Also, get over it.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
What? I'm just making light-hearted fun. There's nothing to get over.
What are you insinuating?

I am sorry if I caused offense...

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
I'm not offended at all, and that 2nd part wasn't really for you. :)

Anyway, here are the locations that I can remember:
One pair from Planar Prison, one from Spellhold, one from Illasera, Grandmaster's armor from Eler Had, Cheetah amulet from some drow, and I'm pretty sure the merchant in Saradush sells a pair (though the one in Amkethran may not)

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
It's okay, I was just tired and interpreting things in the least favorable way.

And I confused Korgan with Kagain! I used both though- Kagain for a while in 1 and Korgan for the entire game in 2. Kagain in 1 is the only party member that regenerates, which is.... neat?

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Very neat. If you start as a dwarf with Con 19 and get the +1 Con tome, then you can regenerate too.

Sort of sucks that regens of different rates don't stack, it would be cool to have Constitution + Gaxx + Unyielding, and so on, all working together in BG2.

DraQ

Arcane
Try asking the Silt Strider guide in Suran where the Fields of Kummu are. ;)
Aand?

I don't think she has them as a topic and she only mentions them as goal for pilgrimages otherwise.

She makes a mistake regarding Ascadian Isles, but they are not exactly missable, and mistake is easy to notice because they can't be in SE if they are beyond location to the west - fucking geometry, how does it work?

I think I only found one or two cases of directions that were egregiously wrong, all the others were at worst misleading due to being easily misinterperted.

Malpercio

Arcane
Meh, i'm so bored by ToB.
I kinda ran out of steam after beating demogorgon. Can't really see myself finishing it again at this point. Oh well.

stony3k

Augur
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Meh, i'm so bored by ToB.
I kinda ran out of steam after beating demogorgon. Can't really see myself finishing it again at this point. Oh well.
This is what always happens with me. ToB is pretty boring.

roshan

Arcane
Which of the mods in the Megamod are actually worth playing/installing?

Smiling Imp

Literate

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
BG1 was a lot of fun and lasted me for quite a long time.
Now starting BG2, continuing with the same character, but changing it to Skald. I want to continue using crossbow as my primary weapon but I'm already a lot more spellcasty than in BG and I'm no further than picking up Yoshi.

I'm considering getting this party (based on not really using them a lot in previous playthroughs):
Cernd (lol... dc to Cleric perhaps?)
Nalia (pewpew mage)
Mazzy (dc to Thief? - ranged)
Valygar (melee)
Keldorn (melee)

Of course I'm not playing with any mods.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Looks like you're assembling the worst possible party. Which is honestly a lot of fun. Though no Jan Jansen? Being a Skald is really fun (to me).

There's some mistakes you made though. I'm fairly certain Cernd can't dual-class to anyone due to his stats. Even if he could the only class that he could change into would be Fighter. The only valid AD&D 2nd Druid combination is Fighter/Druid.

Mazzy can't dual-class. She's a Halfling and only humans can dual-class. Any non-human has to start as a multiclass at level 1 or stay forever pure; she'll always be a second-rate Fighter.

Have fun trying out your new party members! Some thoughts:

Cernd: Terrible. But don't let it stop you. You seem to enjoy a challenge, anyway.
Nalia: Never used her, no idea. I'm prejudiced against women, even fantasy women. Unless they are named Kreia or Ravel. <3
Mazzy: Not a bad fighter if you need someone good-aligned. Worse than your other options for melee characters. Minsc, Korgan, Keldorn, Valygar are all superior, but that's just me.
Valygar: Versatile and useful, but not that strong mechanically. I really like his kit.
Keldorn: Grade-A badass, fantastic character. A good party misses out on Korgan - who is amazing - but gains Keldorn, who is amazing too.

Too bad you don't have Korgan and Valygar in the same party, I enjoy their interactions.

I also approve of not using mods, not that you care if I do, but I would definitely say it's the way you're supposed to play.
However.
The fixes and dialogue improvements on Baldurdash are completely worth using and having played both versions more times than I have fingers on both of my hands added up I can easily recommend them. They really only fix issues like typos, bugged quests, missing rewards or some exploits, and that's it.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
You mean for banter or for mechanical power? Both are pretty lulz. Also, the worst party would also be lulzy.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
For banter.

I think a fun party would be:
Jan
Korgan
Mazzy
Keldorn
Viccy

But there are probably combos that are more fun.

Erebus

Arcane
Cernd is by far the companion I've used the least in all the times I've played BG2. In fact, I believe he stayed in my party for all of 15 minutes before I booted him out and never took him again.

Nalia is nowhere as good a mage as Edwin, but she can use more weapons and has some limited thief abilities (that really need to be boosted with items or potions if you're going to play through the game without a better thief).

I think a fun party would be:
Jan
Korgan
Mazzy
Keldorn
Viccy

From what I've read, Keldorn will try to kill Viconia if they both stay in the party for too long.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Cernd is by far the companion I've used the least in all the times I've played BG2. In fact, I believe he stayed in my party for all of 15 minutes before I booted him out and never took him again.

There's a few things conspiring to make him unattractive: his dull personality, his sidequest that just makes him look like a bad person who should feel bad, his location and how to get him and keep him is harder than most companions on a blind run, and of course Bioware nerfed the Shapeshifter PrC so he's comparitively mechanically weak too (fixable to broken PrC with Shapeshifter Rebalancing).

baturinsky

Arcane
From what I've read, Keldorn will try to kill Viconia if they both stay in the party for too long.
He tried that once, I just Mazed his ass. He probably got the message, because after that he agreed to rejoin with me and did not pick on Vicky once.

Erebus

Arcane

There's a few things conspiring to make him unattractive: his dull personality, his sidequest that just makes him look like a bad person who should feel bad, his location and how to get him and keep him is harder than most companions on a blind run, and of course Bioware nerfed the Shapeshifter PrC so he's comparitively mechanically weak too (fixable to broken PrC with Shapeshifter Rebalancing).

Also, from what I remember, druids have a much lower level limit than other classes in SoA.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Also, from what I remember, druids have a much lower level limit than other classes in SoA.

Yeah, it costs 1.5 million XP just to go from level 14 to 15 (for Cleric only 225,000), something about becoming an archdruid in the tabletop rules. In ToB they can finally go past that and to level 31.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
He tried that once, I just Mazed his ass. He probably got the message, because after that he agreed to rejoin with me and did not pick on Vicky once.

I never tried this one, pretty cool. There are lots of little tricks you can play like this since BG1 with regard to companions and their dialogue triggers, Maze and a few other spell statuses can break romances so you have to be careful who you use it on, I guess.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Yep, druid lvl progression table in BG2 is silly, but at least you get to lvl 14 very quickly. And of course it can be fixed with proper fixpacks.

And for druid as a class I see two options:

1. You create a Totemic druid, which is one of the strongest starter kits. You'll be surprised how a single spirit animal can cut though initial dungeon like blade through grass.
2. Like Jasede said - make a fighter/druid. Druids can wear ankheg and red dragon aromors and use some very good weapons which coupled with their buffs makes them pretty badass in meele. Unfortunately for powergamers, it's very hard to roll good stats for such combination.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Yep, druid lvl progression table in BG2 is silly, but at least you get to lvl 14 very quickly. And of course it can be fixed with proper fixpacks.

It sort of makes Druids OP if you give them Cleric level/spell progression, but whatever floats your boat.

1. You create a Totemic druid, which is one of the strongest starter kits. You'll be surprised how a single spirit animal can cut though initial dungeon like blade through grass.

Might be one of the strongest Druid PrCs, but I don't think it holds a candle to some other class PrCs. Spirit animals quickly outlive their usefulness, fire elementals are more enduring and DMGing.

2. Like Jasede said - make a fighter/druid. Druids can wear ankheg and red dragon aromors and use some very good weapons which coupled with their buffs makes them pretty badass in meele. Unfortunately for powergamers, it's very hard to roll good stats for such combination.

Druids get access to some of the most OP SoA weapons, like Gnasher and Impaler. I would say against mundane foes Gnasher is the best weapon in SoA.
Ankheg is shit in BG2, a dual/multi fighter/druid can wear Balduran's in SoA and then White Dragon Scale in ToB. AC isn't a big deal when you have ironskins, though...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom