Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate The Baldur's Gate Series Thread

Dreaad

Arcane
Deep in your subconscious mind spreading lies.
I really like that Laxroix (VTMB) sound pack for BG2, my favorite for a mage/sorcerer. As a bonus it has an amusing death scream, that you hear 3 times during the Irenicus torturing you tutorial.

Erebus

Arcane
It's a pity there aren't enough evil companions for a full party if you decide to be really evil. Korgan, Viconia and Edwin are all pretty good, and Yoshimo kind of counts since he won't leave you because of low reputation, but a fifth companion (a barbarian, for instance) would have been nice.

I think Imoen won't leave you (after she's back, obviously) even if your Reputation gets very low, but I'm not completely sure.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
It's a pity there aren't enough evil companions for a full party if you decide to be really evil. Korgan, Viconia and Edwin are all pretty good, and Yoshimo kind of counts since he won't leave you because of low reputation, but a fifth companion (a barbarian, for instance) would have been nice.

I think Imoen won't leave you (after she's back, obviously) even if your Reputation gets very low, but I'm not completely sure.

There's also that guy you can get in ToB, and if you want you can dual him to thief or mage, but by that time mage dual takes too long.
I agree there aren't enough evil companions, would have liked to see an evil kensai, monk and assassin.
Bioware really didn't cater for evil much at all in BG2, you can even talk Viconia and that guy into a good alignment (you have to be romancing the former, I think), but you can't corrupt anyone.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I was disappointed that my old chums Monty and Xzar couldn't join me in BG2. They were more entertaining than uncle Jaheira and aunt Khalid.

Sodafish

Arcane
Bioware really didn't cater for evil much at all in BG2

That's putting it mildly. In fact they strongly discourage evil behaviour as a low rep makes shop prices ludicrous, and there is no mechanic (such as intimidation) to counteract that.

Erebus

Arcane
Bioware really didn't cater for evil much at all in BG2, you can even talk Viconia and that guy into a good alignment (you have to be romancing the former, I think), but you can't corrupt anyone.

Well, you can make Anomen fail to become Lawful Good, which sort of counts.

Still, I agree that acting evil isn't very satisfying in BG2. Most evil options kind of suck. Poisoning the Druid Grove is rather funny, but not a good idea if you have want to keep Jaheira, Minsc or Valygar in your party.

The Valen mod, which I mentioned before, makes being evil much more entertaining (it also guarantees that your Reputation will reach 0 very quickly). The problem is that Valen, as a vampire, is completely overpowered in most circumstances.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
I was disappointed that my old chums Monty and Xzar couldn't join me in BG2. They were more entertaining than uncle Jaheira and aunt Khalid.

Monty and Xzar are my fave companions in BG1, bar none. I also liked Eldoth (neutral evil bard), he has some great lines. And there's always Tiax... there are eight evil companions in BG1 (out of 25), so at least you can fill a party.

That's putting it mildly. In fact they strongly discourage evil behaviour as a low rep makes shop prices ludicrous, and there is no mechanic (such as intimidation) to counteract that.

Offhand I can think of only one larger sidequest that can be solved evilly and only if you are of evil alignment (Druid Grove). I think the guy won't even spawn and offer the poisoning solution unless you're evil. Nice touch, but needed to be more of that.

Krivol

Magister
From the other side, Viconia is best cleric (I know there are people who likes Anomen more, but he has pretty low WIS and IS ANNOYING!!), Edvin - simply best mage and Korgan is the best fighter, if you forget Keldorn with The Sword.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

Don't forget Jan Jansen. He won't leave either, if I recall correctly. The same with Cernd (I used him in an evil party) and Haer'Dalis.

Also, what Erebus said.

Erebus

Arcane
Don't forget Jan Jansen. He won't leave either, if I recall correctly. The same with Cernd (I used him in an evil party) and Haer'Dalis.

Really ? I thought almost all neutral companions would leave once your Reputation got to 1 or 2 (Yoshimo being the exception because Irenicus ordered him to stay with you).

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

Really ? I thought almost all neutral companions would leave once your Reputation got to 1 or 2 (Yoshimo being the exception because Irenicus ordered him to stay with you).
Well, I don't recall if I got my reputation down to 1/2 on my playthrough, so take this with a grain of salt.

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
Stop hating on Cernd! You just don't know how to use him properly! It's simple, really:
As the trees are buffeted and snapped in the face of the gale, he shall be as the bamboo and flex. The great oak might crush a building when it falls, but the sapling that seeps its roots through the foundation will stop the building in the first, lest the cellars leak and the fungoids take the builders.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron

This. So much. I always allowed them to join the party and then LARPed leading Khalid and Jaheira out into the wilderness to kill them and steal their possessions :smug:

Add Korgan, Viconia and Edwin to the mix, all led by a Necromancer PC, and we're set :obviously:

Malpercio

Arcane
BG2 as evil party is kinda... eh. You'll end up missing tons of context.

Speaking of that, i really disliked it. I was romancing her in the playthrough i posted before, and essentially you change her and her personality to fir yours, which it's a quite fucked up thing to do in a relationship, imo.

stony3k

Augur
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Yeah just noticed them on sale in GamersGate for $2.50 each. Too bad I already have multiple copies including original CDs

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Always wondered, what kind of input Black Isle had on Baldur's Gate 2?

If they had a big input and can take credit for most of the incline, then that would explain Bioware's decline post-BG2.

Some sprites were used in BG2 from IWD, that's about it. I think Bioware decline began with ToB, which is why Gaider felt compelled to release Ascension.

Unwanted

Cursed Platypus

Unwanted
Always wondered, what kind of input Black Isle had on Baldur's Gate 2?

If they had a big input and can take credit for most of the incline, then that would explain Bioware's decline post-BG2.

Some sprites were used in BG2 from IWD, that's about it. I think Bioware decline began with ToB, which is why Gaider felt compelled to release Ascension.

What's the concensus on what made them decline like this?

Is it like Ensemble Studios where the old team (bringer of incline) had left the compagny when AOE 3 development started ? Therefore it could be considered a completely different studio.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom