Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RTS Terminator: Dark Fate - Defiance - Future Wars Terminator RTS

PanteraNera

Arcane
Ps. What do you grab as a reward, supplies, or points? I have gone with points so far and then buy the supply I need. Not calculated if I miss out though.
It depends, sometimes it is better to take the points, other times it is better to take the supplies.
If I remember correctly 1 Goodwill Point nets you 10 supplies.
So if you can get 7000 GW Points or 10000 supplies, the later is better.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Ps. What do you grab as a reward, supplies, or points? I have gone with points so far and then buy the supply I need. Not calculated if I miss out though.
It depends, sometimes it is better to take the points, other times it is better to take the supplies.
If I remember correctly 1 Goodwill Point nets you 10 supplies.
So if you can get 7000 GW Points or 10000 supplies, the later is better.
This, the math is pretty clear on this. I wish they add some units to the offer to make it more interesting and not one-sided.

PanteraNera

Arcane
This, the math is pretty clear on this. I wish they add some units to the offer to make it more interesting and not one-sided.
Later you have the choice between supplies, vehicles, infantry upgrades and vehicle upgrades.

If you really try your best to capture vehicles (make them burn and stop firing on them so they do not get destroyed) and look around the maps after the mission is done, you very likely will swim in resources. The limiting factor becomes how many supplies you have, as you need them for traveling.

You can also micro in switching weapons of units before you sell them, because you have to manually resupply units which got new weapons, while the old ammo gets added to your supplies. So I personally would do my absolute best to capture vehicles, get any vehicle on the map (there is usually plenty to find!) use the fuel and ammo trucks/trailers to resupply all my units, switch the weapons of the vehicles I sell, to get supplies added and than sell the vehicles for Goodwill points and pretty much always buy all the supplies of settlements I could get.

But yeah, that is pretty time consuming.

WhiskeyWolf

Staff Member
But yeah, that is pretty time consuming.
I actually like the mechanic of being able to steal everything not nailed down to the floor and then tweaking my units just enough for them not to use up too much resources.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Boy, these cartel missions sure are draining. I'm capturing their HQ while trying to avoid militia trying to kill me since they are forced to fight. Then after capturing the academy a new mission opens up that I only have 15 minutes to complete. And my forces are already spent. I have a feeling I'm far behind strength-wise.

WhiskeyWolf

Staff Member
Boy, these cartel missions sure are draining. I'm capturing their HQ while trying to avoid militia trying to kill me since they are forced to fight. Then after capturing the academy a new mission opens up that I only have 15 minutes to complete. And my forces are already spent. I have a feeling I'm far behind strength-wise.
As I said, the difficulty is needlessly punishing and it's impossible to get by without save scumming.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Yeah, I think this is my stop. I can't see myself making it over there. It's crawling with RPG units with laser accuracy, something my men are lacking with it comes to anti-tank weapons. They must train those cartel units well. I don't want to go down in difficulty, as I want equal damage, not some bullshit immunity shield. That was one of my pet peeves with Men of War, which I made a mod for to make the weapons actually damage your men.

REhorror

Educated
I think I'm gonna restart Novo Tortuga with dozer squadrons.

I hear dozers are actually very tanky.

WhiskeyWolf

Staff Member
I think I'm gonna restart Novo Tortuga with dozer squadrons.

I hear dozers are actually very tanky.

killdozer_footage_fb.jpg

Yeah, I think this is my stop. I can't see myself making it over there. It's crawling with RPG units with laser accuracy, something my men are lacking with it comes to anti-tank weapons. They must train those cartel units well. I don't want to go down in difficulty, as I want equal damage, not some bullshit immunity shield. That was one of my pet peeves with Men of War, which I made a mod for to make the weapons actually damage your men.
I just want to point that if you want to beat that mission fully you will need 155mm artillery. I had two at that point.

REhorror

Educated
Is there any sure-fire way to capture vehicles? Like what weapons 100% make them burn instead of explode?

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
A couple of things that piss me off.

1. LOS issues. Sometimes when you really want a missile to go off, the men just crawl around like goddamn idiots trying to see the vehicle you want to blow up. There is no way to determine if something is blocking or not unless it's a huge building.

3. Can't merge units. I understand they have different skills and such, but merging standard tech/vehicle groups would have been a blessing. After a battle I got so many 1 man-driver squads, which can't man anything for shit, only drive. I don't get how teaming up to man all weapons on a vehicle is such a foreign concept to my men.

3. Enemy with the recoilless rifle never fugging miss. Holy Jesus, they will snipe you from 400 meters out, and often you can't even see the projectile. When my men use it, they miss all the time, but when the enemy uses it, it's suffering time.

4. Maps with endless spawning enemies. Sure, I can go with it if it's terminators since they will just mass-manufacture units. But when you fight some random group or bandits, and somehow they got an endless amount of technicals and other sorts of vehicles to throw into the mix just to die. This kind of attrition warfare doesn't work that well with the mechanics of the game.

5. Enemy units seem to have an endless supply of ammo. Hate that stuff. Why? Luring someone to waste all his ammo is a viable tactic, but it can't be used here.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Oh and yeah. I find the difficulty setting a bit retarded. Why must "realistic" have more enemies? Why isn't there a normal setting, but with equal damage for both sides? The increased units on realistic are just BS. The mission after the cartel you fight random marauders who somehow have an infinite amount of heavy cannons.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Sorry to spam the thread. I found this mod here: https://www.nexusmods.com/terminatordarkfatedefiance/mods/5?tab=description
It does not fix my issues with the difficulty setting, but it shows it is possible to change stuff. I'm just curious if anybody of you maybe could help me with this. It doesn't seem too hard, but I have no idea where to start. I would love to play on an easier setting, but with 100% damage both ways.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Okay, last message, I promise. I figured out you can just change the numbers in his mod above. This is from his mod on Nexus:

5-1709428466-173704513.jpeg

I opened it in Notepad++ and changed all damage to 1 on easy, normal and hard. Going to restart on normal now, and see if it's more manageable without the AI getting extra units.

Edit:
Actually, it was pretty easy to make a mod myself. Unzip (used 7-zip) the needed file from the basis.pak file that can be found in scripts. Then open the file with notepad++ and make whatever changes you want.

Edit 2:
So, replaying a mission now where I got my ass handed to me. And the difference is night and day. The enemy forces seems much more reasonable now. The damage is still high as on realistic mode, but you are not facing 50 heavy weapons every 3 sec.

Last edited:

REhorror

Educated
Is it me or energy weapons kinda overrated in this? The lack of range and punching through cover is a huge problem, the humble minigun just shreds everything, even when it's said to be weak against cover in the description.

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
does Defiance use PhysX like Syrian Warfare, despite the fact that PhysX was long-abandoned after Syrian Warfare came out?

i find juggling various PhysX drivers that only work with certain games to be a pain in the ass, but i'll deal with it if Defiance uses it

Last edited:

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
I did not notice any PhysX stuff. Not even when I played Syrian Warfare.

Okay, last message, I promise. I figured out you can just change the numbers in his mod above. This is from his mod on Nexus:

5-1709428466-173704513.jpeg

I opened it in Notepad++ and changed all damage to 1 on easy, normal and hard. Going to restart on normal now, and see if it's more manageable without the AI getting extra units.

Edit:
Actually, it was pretty easy to make a mod myself. Unzip (used 7-zip) the needed file from the basis.pak file that can be found in scripts. Then open the file with notepad++ and make whatever changes you want.

Edit 2:
So, replaying a mission now where I got my ass handed to me. And the difference is night and day. The enemy forces seems much more reasonable now. The damage is still high as on realistic mode, but you are not facing 50 heavy weapons every 3 sec.
I don't know how you could stand to play the game on realistic at all..lol

I tried for while, but the constant save scumming. I just don't have time for that, I probably suck too, but it was much more fun when I turned it down.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Yeah... I was going insane, even after the modification. I just like stuff being consistent for both sides, I guess. I blame some kind of hidden autism. However, it's uninstalled now, even if I liked the game in general. It quickly reaches a stage of extreme save scumming if you don't have the resources to take casualties. So I decided to quit it, before I started to resent the darn thing, lol.

REhorror

Educated
Doing Chihuahua now (is that a real town name?).

Man, door to door fighting with RPG every out of every windows, I have sweaty hands as fuck, I can't imagine playing this in Ironman.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom