Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tempest Rising - totally not Command & Conquer clone from 3D Realms

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I can see it, definitely not Hell March

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Grimoire - too expensive
Underrail - took too long to ship
now this game is "totally not a clone" (yet everyone in the thread seems to like it)
I mean, they are obviously playing with being a clone.
Being a clone is not necessarily a bad thing - especially not a clone of a good thing!

Overreacting, much?

Curratum

Slipgate Ironworks and 3D Realms are scammers of the highest caliber. I wouldn't touch anything they ever claim they are going to put out.

Suicidal

Arcane
I want this to be good

pepe.jpg

ArchAngel

Arcane
If this game is really good it might force me to finally install shitty Win10 on my PC.

80s Stallone

Arcane
Dreamt of something like this for years, but they clearly based it on Tiberium Wars / Red Alert 3.

My gripes:
- this sort of 3D where the whole map is cluttered with stuff is too confusing in strategy games, keep it simple.
- like most 3D RTS there is no "felt" impact in the battles, it's like rubber or cardboard stuff shooting at each other, either make it nice 2(.5)D (not likely for non-indie) or find a way
- secondary abilities for most units... just no. that's not classic C&C. Down with micro.
- GDF, Destiny? Those names are pretty lame... GDI sounds cool, but GDF? C'mon, come up with something else, it does not flow. Destiny? Eeek. Dumb name for a faction.

Otherwise, good luck.

Trithne

Erudite
Dreamt of something like this for years, but they clearly based it on Tiberium Wars / Red Alert 3.

My gripes:
- this sort of 3D where the whole map is cluttered with stuff is too confusing in strategy games, keep it simple.
- like most 3D RTS there is no "felt" impact in the battles, it's like rubber or cardboard stuff shooting at each other, either make it nice 2(.5)D (not likely for non-indie) or find a way
- secondary abilities for most units... just no. that's not classic C&C. Down with micro.
- GDF, Destiny? Those names are pretty lame... GDI sounds cool, but GDF? C'mon, come up with something else, it does not flow. Destiny? Eeek. Dumb name for a faction.

Otherwise, good luck.
Good thing it's called the Tempest Dynasty then.

80s Stallone

Arcane

My gripes:

Otherwise, good luck.
Good thing it's called the Tempest Dynasty then.
ah yes. Still lame.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
It's very tempting and exciting, but from these clips I worry about the readability of the graphics.

These games worked partly because objects were easily recognizable and distinct on the playing field, so you didn't have to waste brain energy on peering at things to identify them; if it's going to be like a visual soup it's not going to be so good.

I mean, this is the same problem with a lot of modern games with great graphics, getting the right balance between detailed, realistic graphics vs. gameplay readability - although many developers are aware of it, some still seem to be oblivious. Hope these guys understand.

Harthwain

Magister
I am getting strong Emperor: Battle for Dune vibes from this for some reason. I am going to watch with interest.

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
Depends.

Tiberium Sun, Red Alert 2 and 3 and C&C3 had a lot going on on the map that was interesting or added to the gameplay without being confusing.

ArchAngel

Arcane
It is really bugging me that tank is way too small compared to standard troopers.

Harthwain

Magister
Gameplay with a whole mission and the unbiased commentary from the CEO of 3D Realms:

No breakdown on what games they are showing whatsoever on their YouTube channel? These guys are amateurs. I was curious about some other games too, but the video is such an unedited mess that I won't even bother.

It is really bugging me that tank is way too small compared to standard troopers.
I'd say the ratio is similar (if not identical) to the likes of Red Alert 2 or Emperor: Battle for Dune.

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
Gameplay with a whole mission and the unbiased commentary from the CEO of 3D Realms:

No breakdown on what games they are showing whatsoever on their YouTube channel? These guys are amateurs. I was curious about some other games too, but the video is such an unedited mess that I won't even bother.

I'd say the ratio is similar (if not identical) to the likes of Red Alert 2 or Emperor: Battle for Dune.

Maybe but camera was further away and graphics were simple so it was not noticeable. And once you are spamming 20 tanks and 30 inf and sending them to battle you might ignore it but in campaign with one tank and 5 troopers it just stands out

Feyd Rautha

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Maybe but camera was further away and graphics were simple so it was not noticeable. And once you are spamming 20 tanks and 30 inf and sending them to battle you might ignore it but in campaign with one tank and 5 troopers it just stands out

Yeah why is the camera always so close? Petroglyph got a lot of negative feedback on that already with Universe at War back in 2007. Have they learnt nothing since?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom