Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tempest Rising - totally not Command & Conquer clone from 3D Realms

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Standalone video:

At Gamescom 2022, Tempest Rising Game Director Fred, and Producer Malthe, showcased the first Mission of the GDF campaign during the THQ Live Show.

In this 40 minute playthrough, they answer a range of questions from fans as they guide the viewers through the mission.

Enjoy!

ferratilis

Magister
FAQ on the Steam page:
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1486920/view/3332122231343558007
Tempest Rising Official FAQ
94f106a82f7a7bfa0dc3896e4c364ce212c3724c.png

What is Tempest Rising?

Tempest Rising
is a new Real Time Strategy game, developed by Slipgate Ironworks (Ghostrunner, Graven), and 2B Games, in collaboration with 3D Realms (Duke Nukem, Ion Fury, Prey, Max Payne) and THQ Nordic.

The game is taking place in a fictional 1997, war-torn world, taken over by a mysterious plant which many call “Tempest”.

After a few years of peace, the Tempest Dynasty has been scouted at valuable Tempest sites. Intel suggests that the shadowy and unknown leaders of Dynasty and their allies are going to use Tempest to heavily increase the footprint of their forces.

The Global Defense Forces (GDF), are the maintainers of the majority of Tempest sites, and are protecting many of these due to the dangerous nuclear radiation and yet unknown potential of the Tempest plant and its electrical properties.

Both forces will soon end up in a world spanning conflict in order to secure the Tempest and forcefully apply a single world ideology.

What kind of RTS is Tempest Rising?

Tempest Rising is an RTS rooted in classic RTS formulas, following the foundations set by games like Dune, Command & Conquer, StarCraft, and others. We are reaching back to the roots of classic RTS games starting with the fun moments and gameplay that have created an enduring love for the genre, and bring along the best of what we’ve learned along the way to create a first-rate gameplay experience that marries the best of the old and the new.

Tempest Rising is a high octane cocktail containing 3 parts classic, over the top bombastic, base building, tanks-and-soldiers RTS fun, mixed with one part modern control and innovation for a refreshing mix we think is sure to resonate with genre veterans and new players alike.

Is Tempest Rising similar to Command & Conquer?

Back in the earliest days of planning and development, our team bonded over a mutual love and appreciation for many core gameplay systems which Command and Conquer created, and incredible experiences it provided. We certainly draw inspiration from the Command and Conquer franchise among others, but we are creating a unique experience with Tempest Rising.

Tempest Rising is an entirely new entry into the RTS genre, built upon the structure of classic mechanics that many of us have loved for more than 25 years.

We specifically designed the reveal of Tempest Rising, to focus on some of these classic aspects of the genre, as a starting point. In the following months, we’ll dive deeper into many of the new mechanics and innovations in Tempest Rising

How come GDF seems close to GDI? Which universe does Tempest Rising take place in?

This is a good question, and purely a coincidence.

Tempest Rising takes place in the same universe as several other 3D Realms games (Such as Ion Fury). The GDF is the leading faction in many of these games, and the name and logo was designed in its original incarnation, all the way back in 1995.

Tempest Rising takes place around 100 years before Ion Fury, following many events leading up to the rise of Dr. Jadus Heskel, and might even answer some questions about Shelly Harrison’s background.

Who are the good and bad guys?

In Tempest Rising, there are no good or bad guys. Both Singleplayer factions (The Tempest Dynasty and Global Defense Forces), fight for what they believe is right. No one is truly good, and as a player you’ll have to make many tough decisions throughout both campaigns.

Who is making the music? Is it purely Heavy Metal?

We have four composers involved with the incredible Tempest Rising soundtrack currently, including Michael Markie, Hexenkraft, former The Witcher composer Adam Skorupa, and Sigurd Jøhnk.
The soundtrack is largely in the category of “Dark Ambience / Industrial”, with some orchestral tracks, and a few hard hitting metal tracks. We’ll reveal more down the line!

Who is the team behind Tempest Rising? Isn’t Slipgate known primarily for First Person Shooters? And who is 2B Games?

The team behind Tempest Rising was established over 3 years ago, and operates completely independently from the other Slipgate teams. We’re over 100 people on the Tempest Rising team, working actively on the game, with several RTS veterans on board.

It was very important for us to establish a world-class team as early as possible. This includes several RTS community members as designers and consultants, with decades of experience with the RTS genre. The Lead Designer on the game, Brandon “Wayward Strategy”, was an important addition for us as well. 2B Games are also collaborating with us on the game, and have extensive technical experience with the RTS genre.

How far is the game in development? 3 years seem like a long time!

The game is very far into development. The original concept was created back in 2014, while active development started in 2019. We wanted to make sure that we revealed the game at a point in development where we actually have a lot to share and talk about.

Who is the third faction? Is it Alien?

The third faction will be revealed at a later date.
But it’s not who you think it is. And the Tempest plant is not what you expect.

Is the game going to have custom Mod and Map support?

Mapping and Modding is something very important to us at Slipgate and THQ Nordic/3D Realms.
We’ll have more news on this down the line.

What is the pacing of the game like? Will non-competitive players’ feedback and playstyles be relevant?

Absolutely. We want to accommodate people who only play campaigns and skirmishes, as well as both casual and high-level multiplayer fans. Tempest Rising is explicitly designed with an eye towards marrying accessibility with depth in its gameplay. While several units do have player-activated abilities, these abilities are crafted to be easy to interact with for casual players while providing mastery opportunities for RTS veterans. We look forward to sharing additional details about our units, structures, and support powers soon.

You mentioned on the Steam store page that there will be army customization. Can you elaborate?

The game will feature RPG-like elements, some of them already hinted at, in one of the screenshots from the GDF Command Compound. The upgrade and customization system is something we’ll dive deeper into at a later date.

It is important to note that in multiplayer, there will be no out-of-match customization options: all of the player’s choices will be available to them at the start of the game.

What can we expect from cutscenes? Full-motion video, fully CGI or just slideshows?

All cutscenes are actually built in-engine, using our game assets. One of the goals of Tempest Rising was to raise the visual fidelity to a level which would allow us to do this, without any significant downgrade in visuals and performance.

Will there be a big box release, or any sort of collector’s edition like previous 3D Realms’ games?

Nothing to announce officially yet.

Will there be any early access or beta?

The game will not be released into early access, however we do plan on several rounds of closed beta tests. We’ll inform you about the details later this year.

Which platforms will the game be available? Any plans for a console release?

Currently, we only plan for a PC release.

When is the game coming out?

For now, 2023 is all we can say.

How much is the game going to cost?

The digital version of the game is going to cost $39.99

Will there be co-op in the campaign? And how many are you gonna be able to play in multiplayer skirmish?

We’re big supporters of co-op in general, however we’re not ready to talk specifics in terms of co-op in Tempest Rising yet.

Which languages is the game going to support?

Supported languages will be announced soon

Vermillion

Educated
Am I in some drug fueled delirium where Red Alert and Tiberium are one universe again and RTS is still popular? Because I'd really like this not to be a dream.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Is Tempest Rising similar to Command & Conquer?

Back in the earliest days of planning and development, our team bonded over a mutual love and appreciation for many core gameplay systems which Command and Conquer created, and incredible experiences it provided. We certainly draw inspiration from the Command and Conquer franchise among others, but we are creating a unique experience with Tempest Rising.
cool_story_bro.png

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
It's almost like C&C was a good template to build an RTS from. If the fact that they made 7 of them in 13 years (not counting expansions), wasn't enough to clue you in.

I was never a huge fan of c&c, but as long as this ends up being decent I'll probably be in at day0. RTSs are few and far between these days.

ArchAngel

Arcane
After watching those videos, it is not the problem with size of tanks but size of infantry. They are way too big even compared to buildings.

ArchAngel

Arcane
After watching those videos, it is not the problem with size of tanks but size of infantry. They are way too big even compared to buildings.
Have you played the first Red Alert?

sc784m.jpg

However I agree with your criticism and do think the first C&C did it better:

commandconquerpiffas_2656373.jpg
Yes they are a bit bigger in these games as well but it is not as noticeable. I hope there are plenty of people that complain to them about it so they make infantry a bit smaller.

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
Tempest Rising - Unit Spotlight: GDF Field Scout
Field Scout

High powered long-ranged anti-infantry soldier with an early-warning system of Marking Mines.

e66ae54ab13e51b7c25cfffdce15fe7e5dd2a886.jpg

The backbone of the GDF military might is the humble Field Scout. Professional and disciplined, the highly trained lightly-armored rifle infantry has long formed the basis of GDF conventional forces. Armed with long-range burst rifles and computer-aided optics, the modern Field Scout is a vital asset in exploration and base expansion. Potent in large numbers, they can fill out the ranks of any taskforce, offering increased terrain visibility and able to spot for nearby enemy movement.

Lagi

Savant
I don't like those huge shoulder pads. This is not World of Warcraft.
and even if wouldnt it make more sens to have this pad on left shoulder? for Right handed soldiers. To cover body, not be placed behind.
also forearm armor, so its heavier to lift and aim with weapon. like if they were fighting in melee with other warriors.
would make more sense to cover groin

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
It's almost like C&C was a good template to build an RTS from. If the fact that they made 7 of them in 13 years (not counting expansions), wasn't enough to clue you in.

I was never a huge fan of c&c, but as long as this ends up being decent I'll probably be in at day0. RTSs are few and far between these days.

CnC is among the three essential RTS lineages,

- the "Crafts" (StarCraft, WarCraft) known for their UI, polished gameplay and impeccable balance
- the "Age of" games (Age of Empires, Age of Mythology) known for their developmental tiers and global powers
- the "CnC" lineage (Red Alert, Tiberian Sun) known for their own "dual" UI, unit experience ranks and "power" resource

ArchAngel

Arcane

- the "Crafts" (StarCraft, WarCraft) known for their UI, polished gameplay and impeccable balance
- the "Age of" games (Age of Empires, Age of Mythology) known for their developmental tiers and global powers
- the "CnC" lineage (Red Alert, Tiberian Sun) known for their own "dual" UI, unit experience ranks and "power" resource
Uff you forgot the 4th. "Total" group of Total Annihilation and Supreme Commander type of games.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik

Uff you forgot the 4th. "Total" group of Total Annihilation and Supreme Commander type of games.
What are their core design differences?

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
I don't like those huge shoulder pads. This is not World of Warcraft.
What bothers me more is that they aren't symetrical. The one sided pad look only really works for melee units / medieval types. For professional modern troops it looks awkward.

Also, they are supposed to have long ranged rifles but those look more like carbines. Carbines tend to have shorter range than full sized rifles.
They should really have longer barrels and be a bit larger.

Last edited:

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane

What are their core design differences?
Mass warfare, "streaming" economy (resource generating builds produce at a constant rate, and production reduces this rate. You don't have a gatherer unit like in your typical RTS), casualties leave behind wrecks that you can exploit for resources. Attacks have actual projectiles too, so they can be blocked by terrain features and wrecks.

If you want a good idea of how the system works play Supreme Commander (but not the sequel, which is a little mediocre and has terrible looking units).
Total Annihilation is alright and for it's time would have been revolutionary mechanics wise, but these days it feels a bit dated and the campaign isn't great. It also has like, no personality, especially compared to CnC and Warcraft II which were released earlier.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom