Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

TECHNOLOGICAL LIMITATION

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
James: You worked on the groundbreaking Planescape: Torment, one of the most critically acclaimed games for writing in history. How would you say that it holds up against or compares to modern games that receive praise for their writing, like Bioshock or Half-Life 2?

Chris: Probably not as well, because Bioshock and HL2 took a better route with story presentation, and integrated the story more into the environment and scripted event placing, which I feel works much better for games than reading text.

Full voice acting and facial animations makes games better. "Show, don't tell" is a crucial rule of storytelling.

Balor

Arcane
Well, in theory, it is. However, that's a pretty big limitation, cause making it as believeable as done by your imagination when you read text is VERY hard. Like 10x hard then in Ass Effect.

Balor

Arcane
Oh, and more abstrastract ideas are outright impossible to communicate.

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
Balor said:
Well, in theory, it is. However, that's a pretty big limitation, cause making it as believeable as done by your imagination when you read text is VERY hard. Like 10x hard then in Ass Effect.

I think you're on to something. Even with today's technology, a fully 3D game in the crazy-ass world of Planescape would be nearly impossible without taking stuff out.

MisterStone

Arcane
Describing things through dialog, item/character description, and scripted events in the game engine is also "showing, not telling". Just because it uses text does not mean that it is "telling".

People think that games these days have such fine graphics that they can represent anything, whereas the truth is, they can't. By insisting that the game stick to "what you see is what you get", and not using text, devs are actually limiting what they can include in a story, because they will shape their story according to what they are able/willing to pull off in-engine.

Fez

Erudite
It's the same reason that books still are not obsolete in the age of cinema, radio or computers. Of course try telling that to people either obsessed with making a shiny graphics engine with ever more realistic breast physics or the kids that want to play such games (because redding is teh hard).

Balor

Arcane
Well, also 'showing' as scripted scenes, cutscenes, etc (unless done procedurally somehow, and that is not-so-science fiction so far) is MUCH more labour (and, therefore, time and budget) intensitive.
Hence, you have to:
Dumb game down for 'wide audiences', to cover up developement costs.
Rise the price of game, due to above.
Make it shorter and less complex.

That's the price of 'progress'. Fuck that, if you ask me.

Fez

Erudite
St. Toxic said:
Fez said:
books still are not obsolete in the age of cinema

bboks r 4 fagz :x

1198895606923rl4.jpg

Mareus

Magister
Shit Chris! I thought this is something I would hear from assholes like Todd Howard, but never from the maker of PST! Talking about the decline of gaming industry...

PorkaMorka

Arcane
I don't understand how full voice acting could possibly be considered a good use of resources by anyone.

Are these gamers illiterate or something?

I can read much much faster than the voice actor says the lines. I assume everyone can.

So what am I supposed to do, sit there and let him slowly say all those lines? Or just click through it and get on with my life?

So why bother recording all those lines?

Mareus

Magister
Wait, ixg has a point. Where is the goddamn link?! I refuse to believe Chris said those things until I see some evidence. This may turn out to be another spam crap.

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
Voice acting is better. Would you rather have a wall of text saying something like, "'Trust me', said the NPC in a deceitful tone." or actually hear that deceitful tone? Plus, technology allows the writer to convey things such as inflection, facial animations, and body gestures much more easily and concisely, leaving the author more time to work on actual dialog.

Bluebottle

Erudite
Patron
Dead State Wasteland 2
Strictly speaking his reasoning isn't terribly far off the mark. The main places he falls down is, like many artists, playing down the quality of his work, and forgetting that there are some things that can only be shown to the player through text. It is often the case in any medium that goes through what could be called a technical advancement, and games are going through such advancements more often than most, that perfectly good techniques are unecessarily written off as being obsolete. It is usually later generations that come along and re-evaluate discarded techniques.

He also doesn't take into account that technology, while interesting to the creator, is of little importance to the player (though in games moreso than most other mediums). It can help tell a good story, but at the end of the day, it is the core source material that really matters. In this sense PST stands up far more favourably than either HL2 or Bioshock. Especially Bioshock.

Jaime Lannister

Arbiter
Bluebottle said:
In this sense PST stands up far more favourably than either HL2 or Bioshock. Especially Bioshock.

On the contrary, I'm sure a good graphics department could do a much better job of bringing the self neck wringing, the sensate orbs, or even "O" to life than my imagination could.

Bluebottle

Erudite
Patron
Dead State Wasteland 2
Jaime Lannister said:
Bluebottle said:
In this sense PST stands up far more favourably than either HL2 or Bioshock. Especially Bioshock.

On the contrary, I'm sure a good graphics department could do a much better job of bringing the self neck wringing, the sensate orbs, or even "O" to life than my imagination could.

I can't tell if you're being facetious, or not. I'm going to hazard a guess at yes.

uhjghvt

Scholar
When I left the politicians, I went to the poets; tragic, dithyrambic, and all sorts. And there, I said to myself, you will be detected; now you will find out that you are more ignorant than they are. Accordingly, I took them some of the most elaborate passages in their own writings, and asked what was the meaning of them - thinking that they would teach me something. Will you believe me? I am almost ashamed to speak of this, but still I must say that there is hardly a person present who would not have talked better about their poetry than they did themselves. That showed me in an instant that not by wisdom do poets write poetry, but by a sort of genius and inspiration; they are like diviners or soothsayers who also say many fine things, but do not understand the meaning of them.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom