Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tasteful Rape

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Awor Szurkrarz said:
It happens too rarely. Also it can be handled by normal attack mechanics if they are detailed enough and if babies are present.

Well maybe not that rarely if there's Mongols or Ukrainians involved. :)

There are two kinds of rape, as far as I'm concerned:

1. In-character rape. By this I mean, in situations where rape is expected, it is done. In these it is a relatively excusable crime for the character and could be considered 'tasteful'. For all the joking about Sengoku Rance, during the kind of time period it was portraying it wasn't at all out of the ordinary for the leaders of enemy nations to be abused as such after being conquered. For such situations its entirely normal for it to exist. It may be preferable to implement it such that there are disadvantages to doing it, but it should be a realistic in-universe implementation, not 'you are now evil, everyone hates you without question' type of thing. Of course, if it is a relatively modern age-type universe where we have women's rights and stuff, this category is pretty much null and void from the beginning.

2. Gratuitous rape. This is the kind that is unquestioningly evil. IE, taking advantage of random poor people on the street that have no means to defend themselves. The main point that I want to make with this is, you should not simply suffer -20 alignment points for such actions. Extreme things like this are entirely different from kicking dogs on the street, even if you kick them 20 times over it should not even begin to come close to raping some widow just for kicks. Something like Fallout's Childkiller reputation should exist for this (though it shouldn't be something universally known unless there is reason for it to be so). If your character is truly evil they should be treated as such, and no amount of giving water to thirsty beggers should be able to offset such a reputation.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
commie said:
Awor Szurkrarz said:
It happens too rarely. Also it can be handled by normal attack mechanics if they are detailed enough and if babies are present.

Well maybe not that rarely if there's Mongols or Ukrainians involved. :)
In such situation, there should be rules for rape and torture inside the combat system as such mass scale brutality simply can't be handcrafted.

MetalCraze

Arcane
JarlFrank said:
I want to know how to best implement this feature into an RPG.

I thought the Codex would be rather knowledgable about that topic.

You should ask Avellone about it. He knows a lot about tasteful sex.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
Rape is best used as a weapon of domination (like real life). If you defeat the evil sorceress/gang leader/corporate exec what better way to show you dominance than bending her over. That being said I am in favor of the fade to black after a rape choice has been made.

DA style sex scenes featuring rape might be a bit much.

soggie

Educated
laclongquan said:
oldmanpaco, that is old school rape, not nextgen rape. We all know nextgen rape is tasteful rape, right? Am I right or am I right?

You are left.

Oggez_Rashas

Novice
Re: rape

muffildy said:
I would say any time that the rape makes you really feel for the situation, for me i really liked how they did viconias rape in one of the bg2 mods...

What the hell mod is that? ...Not that I want to download it or anything.

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
It is amazing that no one has yet opted for the said act to actually occur to the protagonist, as opposed to being performed by said character.

And then it would not even have to be tasteful, because the drive of revenge would be impeded.

Man, you could build a whole RPG around this premise. There must already be a game out there that has this.

edit: oh yeah, i remember this tutorial quest of dragon age or drakensang or something.. where u have to marry some dude and just cannot say no..

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
DwarvenFood said:
edit: oh yeah, i remember this tutorial quest of dragon age or drakensang or something.. where u have to marry some dude and just cannot say no..

That's not really rape. Though actual rape does occur in the elf origin.

denizsi

Arcane
Russian post-apoc RPG Dungeon Cleaners, released in English under the name Planet Alcatraz and taking place on a prison planet, reportedly has lots rape.

The protagonist is one of the four imperial troopers sent to a post-apocalyptic prison-planet under the guise of convicts to investigate the construction of a spaceship by the prisoners. The pods carrying the convicts crash, scattering the four troopers all over the planet. The primary objective of the game is to reunite with the remaining three soldiers, who will join the group as playable characters, and to get on with the investigation.

The politically incorrect setting of the game, as well as its black humour, has been a subject to much praise by the Russian gaming press, as well as by fans of Dmitry 'Goblin' Puchkov, a Russian celebrity famous for his translation theories, whose only book serves as the basis for the game. Racial segregation, misogyny, homophobia, debauchery, slavery, and cannibalism run rampant on the planet.

Haba said:
Rape as a game feature, or rape as a story element?

Some options:

- Let your men rape the enemy women when pillaging conquered town? (Morale++, Reputation--)

Maybe raping enemy women and children is a prestigious thing in PC's culture in the game so the more you rape the enemy, the more respect you get in your community?

denizsi

Arcane
You can tell they fucked up the translations in true Russian tradition. Even in YouTube videos, the subtitles and the VO you get, though both are English, are different. It's also RT and without pause, I think, so combat seems to get very chaotically shit at times but reportedly, it's RP-wise a deep game.

As for whether it's worth playing or not, I don't think anyone played it except for the KKKoool EDGY!!! kids who played for 30 minutes and called it shit not worth playing. Maybe it is true. I remember Balor praising the game, though, who also praised Brigade E5 which I think was as banal-shit-boring as it gets.

There's also a sequel but no English release or a fan-translation.

Irxy

Arcane
Project: Eternity
POOPOO MCBUMFACE said:
Was that game actually good? I remember some buzz about it by the commies here a couple of years ago.
It was an average fallout/bg-style rpg - not bad, but not great either - *if* you could stand the setting. I couldn't.

denizsi

Arcane
What's wrong with the setting? It sounds like heaven on paper.

Anyway there are only two types of rape that I know of: the one where the victim enjoys it and the one (s)he doesn't.

Irxy

Arcane
Project: Eternity
denizsi said:
Nothing is wrong with it, but the scenario author is an ex-police and though the game takes place in a sci-fi future setting, it heavily uses real criminal slang, prison relations, "culture" etc. of russian bandits - actually, it is so heavily based on it and uses so many references to real world pop/crime, it probably has more documentary in it than fiction. Which is likely a plus for foreign gamers, for the exotics factor, but as a native I see enough of this shit on tv and everyday life to want to see it in a game as well. :?

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
There's rape in Planet Alcatraz? I gave up after a few minutes because of the hilariously bad VO work. I mean I wanted to continue because of it but thought I needed to be in the right frame of mind to 'enjoy' it, and at the time it wasn't the moment. Now I think I'll give it another go.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Mastermind said:
DwarvenFood said:

That's not really rape. Though actual rape does occur in the elf origin.

IIRC, there's no actual rape, only the threat of it. Bioware shied away at the last minute, ie if you are woman you get to escape before the rape, if you are man, you rescue your wife before she gets raped.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
oldmanpaco said:
Rape is best used as a weapon of domination (like real life). If you defeat the evil sorceress/gang leader/corporate exec what better way to show you dominance than bending her over. That being said I am in favor of the fade to black after a rape choice has been made.

Why restrict rape to male PC - female NPC? Especially if it's used to further dominate and humiliate your opponent.

Also, game starting with player getting raped (regardless of gender) would indeed be a great start for a "bloody vengeange on steroids"-scenario.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
ITT GarfunkeL dreams of bending a hairy manboon over a desk and sodomizing him with a strap-on :incline:

AzraelCC

Scholar
I'd like to see a Sanitarium type adventure game where you explore the mind of a raped girl, but the rape is referred to using surreal images. A good writer and art director is a must, though.

GarfunkeL said:
oldmanpaco said:

Why restrict rape to male PC - female NPC? Especially if it's used to further dominate and humiliate your opponent.

Also, game starting with player getting raped (regardless of gender) would indeed be a great start for a "bloody vengeange on steroids"-scenario.

1088849993big_woman.jpg

Lumpy

Arcane
jonnypolen said:
As long as you don't have any unrapable NPCs, rape will be tasteful. As long as everybody is rapeable, rape is degrading to noone. Everybody wins.
Should you be able to rape plot-essential NPCs?
Of course, if you go the Oblivion way, with every single quest-giver being unrapable, it just becomes ridiculous.

Kz3r0

Arcane
Irxy said:
denizsi said:
Nothing is wrong with it, but the scenario author is an ex-police and though the game takes place in a sci-fi future setting, it heavily uses real criminal slang, prison relations, "culture" etc. of russian bandits - actually, it is so heavily based on it and uses so many references to real world pop/crime, it probably has more documentary in it than fiction. Which is likely a plus for foreign gamers, for the exotics factor, but as a native I see enough of this shit on tv and everyday life to want to see it in a game as well. :?
Ding, gaming is escapism, unless you want to go artsy and philosophical.
The ninety nine percent of players, will find rape enjoyable only if is an hentai game or just some plot background for unleashing righteous fury.
And rest assured that if the protagonist is raped almost no one is going to buy the game.
On a side note in Bible Black can happen.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom