Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tamriel Rebuilt keeps chugging along

Boy I uhhh, I kinda wish I hadn't read the last two pages.

It puts a bitter taste in my mouth knowing that much drama and idpol is apparently seeping into Morrowind's fans.

Do they not realize the game was very explicitly written as a reflection of real-world bigotries? Trying to make Morrowind politically correct is, itsrlf, an example of what the game warns.

I'm gonna call it right now: TR will never be finished, and from now on you're going to see it slowly shrivel into a neutered mess until the project dies a gasping death under the weight of its culture war nonsense.
Not all devs are inept troons. It remains to be seen who gains the upper hand, but I can't deny the fact there is significant troon presence.

I myself got banned because of a communist furry dev, who is thankfully gone.

dreughjiggers

Maidenhaver
I've made a habit, from an outsider's pov, to look for things they can cut or don't need. Like shipwrecks in a busy river? Makes no sense. The ship would be salvage, or the Imperials would have draft restrictions in the first place. Things like that might only save them one interior, but its cumulative. The only suggestion I've made to add things was stone bridges on their highways, the main road to Akamora for example.

I know you can have private boards on discord, but I think its a bad way to host a project, because the irc's more conducive to banter and bullshit than getting shit done. (Ask John Romero) A forum can filter a lot of noise, just by being slower. The only productive use I've gotten for that live chat is tracking stocks on my buddy's board.

Hagashager

Educated
I've made a habit, from an outsider's pov, to look for things they can cut or don't need. Like shipwrecks in a busy river? Makes no sense. The ship would be salvage, or the Imperials would have draft restrictions in the first place. Things like that might only save them one interior, but its cumulative. The only suggestion I've made to add things was stone bridges on their highways, the main road to Akamora for example.

I know you can have private boards on discord, but I think its a bad way to host a project, because the irc's more conducive to banter and bullshit than getting shit done. (Ask John Romero) A forum can filter a lot of noise, just by being slower. The only productive use I've gotten for that live chat is tracking stocks on my buddy's board.
This reminds me of my attempt to get into Morrowind Rebirth. Stepping out into Seyda Neen for the first time I found the denser swamp foliage really nice. Some of the random statues were...a little busy, but still cute.

Then, not five steps from Fargoth's House there's just...a skeleton, in plain view, slumped over a log.

I know the Middle Ages could be grim, and fantasy draws from that grimness, but people don't leave bodies lying around as a matter of course when things are running relatively normally. Having a skeleton just lying around on the main road broke my immersion completely. I knew then this would not be an insightful expansion of Vvardenfell's landmass, it was going to be a themepark.

None

Scholar
Boy I uhhh, I kinda wish I hadn't read the last two pages.

It puts a bitter taste in my mouth knowing that much drama and idpol is apparently seeping into Morrowind's fans.

Do they not realize the game was very explicitly written as a reflection of real-world bigotries? Trying to make Morrowind politically correct is, itsrlf, an example of what the game warns.

I'm gonna call it right now: TR will never be finished, and from now on you're going to see it slowly shrivel into a neutered mess until the project dies a gasping death under the weight of its culture war nonsense.
I wouldn't blow it out of proportion. I haven't run into any lgbt crap myself, and the only instance I'm aware of is in the planning of the player joining Indoril, which will be done via marriage to get around some of the intricacies of the house. Which raised the question of how do you deal with same gender characters, or even a different race (argonian marrying a dunmer?) in this situation. And as far as whether or not TR becomes "finished" will remain to be seen. Recent progress has been good, but there is already enough content for multiple playthroughs in a landmass larger or on par with the original game. Are people waiting for it to reach 100% so they can do a 300 hour playthrough on a single character? There is no main quest that unifies all the content. TR is more of a buffet, not a 30-course meal.

dreughjiggers

Maidenhaver

This reminds me of my attempt to get into Morrowind Rebirth. Stepping out into Seyda Neen for the first time I found the denser swamp foliage really nice. Some of the random statues were...a little busy, but still cute.

Then, not five steps from Fargoth's House there's just...a skeleton, in plain view, slumped over a log.

I know the Middle Ages could be grim, and fantasy draws from that grimness, but people don't leave bodies lying around as a matter of course when things are running relatively normally. Having a skeleton just lying around on the main road broke my immersion completely. I knew then this would not be an insightful expansion of Vvardenfell's landmass, it was going to be a themepark.
And you just know somebody spent a good hour or more positioning that stupid skeleton. That kind of tunnel vision wastes so much time.

Ramnozack

Cipher
Patron
Whats stopping people from taking pre-tranny TR, forking it, and making their own non-tranny version of it?

notpl

Arbiter

They have fucking magic! Literally any random fucking moron has magical powers in this setting! People have access to fucking TELEPORTATION at a modest fee! Gods intervene in people's lives at a modest entreaty, or sometimes for no reason at all. If anything, their quality of life puts ours to shame. Again, nothing about the elder scrolls should ever suggest "medieval" or "european," people are just applying cliches from other work onto it as a matter of course. Nobody in any Elder Scrolls game should be a monty python dirt farmer peasant caricature.

dreughjiggers

Maidenhaver
Whats stopping people from taking pre-tranny TR, forking it, and making their own non-tranny version of it?
Grabbing an older download, if you don't like new stuff. Then descretely uploading your version to moddb or megaupload for other reactionaries like yourself to help. What's tranny about it now? I think you're blowing the tranny feature-creep out of proportion.

Tenebris

Scholar
Are there any examples of them adding in pozzed shit?
The Temple questline has two instances of a gay couple but it's not really too in your face about it. You have to remember that many of the trans team members aren't all writers since I believe you are required to make the questlines yourself which is enough of a barrier to prevent what you're worried about. But on the future release the only one I anticipate having a large amount of woke content will probably be the Twin Lamps faction questline. This is all an assumption based off what I've gleamed from the discussions I've seen though. The whole Indoril drama is something I'm not too concerned with too and neither should you. It's being done last and I highly doubt we'll see any of the same team members in 10-20 years.
Nothing. But forking the project will probably cause a gigantic uproar in their community and you'll be getting a lot of butthurt hate messages. However there is nothing stopping you or anyone from just adding your own content to it. The older releases had a lot of the Western region too, nothing is stopping a modder from rolling with that and adding content. Hell with how much they're delaying the Indoril and Dres content someone could probably go through the design notes and add it in already. Indoril for example has a a non insignificant content already in the mod, it's just not accessible since you can't join it yet.

thesecret1

Arcane
The Temple questline has two instances of a gay couple but it's not really too in your face about it.
Given how many games have this kind of shit nowadays, I suppose I should count my blessings that it's just that. Still pretty fucking cringe though. You just know the faggot writer couldn't help himself, but had to sneak his degeneracy in there.

Twin Lamps faction questline
I still hope and wish for an option to be a slaver that dismantles the Twin Lamps and puts all its members into shackels. Let me RP a traditional Dunmer, for fuck's sake.

Akachi

Educated
I wouldn't blow it out of proportion. I haven't run into any lgbt crap myself, and the only instance I'm aware of is in the planning of the player joining Indoril, which will be done via marriage to get around some of the intricacies of the house. Which raised the question of how do you deal with same gender characters, or even a different race (argonian marrying a dunmer?) in this situation. And as far as whether or not TR becomes "finished" will remain to be seen. Recent progress has been good, but there is already enough content for multiple playthroughs in a landmass larger or on par with the original game. Are people waiting for it to reach 100% so they can do a 300 hour playthrough on a single character? There is no main quest that unifies all the content. TR is more of a buffet, not a 30-course meal.
I've been waiting for Telvanni and especially Dres content since I first heard of this mod well over a decade ago (probably closer to two decades ago now), wanting to become Archmagister and have a tower on the mainland or take over the one in Port Telvannis as my stronghold, and on another playthrough to rise through the ranks of the most true traditional Dunmer house and help them against the Empire, crushing the abolitionists and going after the other traitor houses that help the foreign occupiers and take away their ancient rights. Thinking maybe I'll get to go out into the jungle and help with their slave raids, too.

I have been waiting a long fucking time. Now I doubt any of that will ever happen, especially Dres content, and if Dres content does happen, although I try to be optimistic, it sounds like it's likely to be neutered, especially with how potentially stupid the current Dres plans are.
IIRC the current plan is (or was, don't know if it changed since) was for Dres to be secretly ruled by a council of vampires as a spin on the Dunmer "ancestor worship" thing where the house is literally ruled by their immortal undead ancestors. Which sounds like something that might potentially be cool if done by very skilled writers who can deal appropriately with the most traditional house being ruled by undead monsters seen throughout Morrowind as abominations to be destroyed, but potentially godawful if done by lesser writers, and I have almost no faith in TR pulling it off with what they're like now. Especially since they sound likely to use a concept like that to try to denigrate the most traditional slavetrading house while probably simultaneously underplaying the seriousness of the fact they are ruled by ancient vampires and all of the ramifications.

I even tried joining TR a very long time ago. I remember providing what I thought was a pretty solid example mod on the forum, but they found one or two dozen "errors" in it which IIRC were almost all stuff like items on shelves being imperceptibly off in their Z level somehow, which wasn't noticeable at all in-game and I would have been shocked if vanilla items weren't all positioned the same ways mine were. Out of all of those "errors", there might have been one or two things I actually could have improved or were mistakes from inexperience (been years so I obviously don't remember what), which I would have been fine learning from, but almost all of it was absolutely not a perceptible issue from a player-perspective or anything affecting functionality.

I recall thinking how if that's what they spend their time on, if they're that obsessive toward quality they focus on such minor details as the perfect Z-axis alignment of items on shelves when it has no impact on the quality of the finished mod in-game at all, this mod will never be finished, and I didn't bother correcting anything or trying to finish joining because of that. Seemed almost like hazing and them intentionally trying to find as many "problems" in applications as possible, especially because the TR leads were the type to be really blunt and talk a lot of shit on the forums from what I remember. What I don't get is how they have all of the kind of people they do now when that's what they were like? The application process and attitudes of TR leadership must be very different today if all those people aren't scared off.

I still hope and wish for an option to be a slaver that dismantles the Twin Lamps and puts all its members into shackels. Let me RP a traditional Dunmer, for fuck's sake.
Dismantling the Twin Lamps and enslaving or slaughtering all of them better be part of the Dres questline. Wouldn't even make sense to me if it isn't, considering the kind of things you have to do for the vanilla Great Houses late in their quest lines. Sounds like one of the few things you could do as an outlander that could actually impress their leadership.

thesecret1

Arcane
I recall thinking how if that's what they spend their time on, if they're that obsessive toward quality they focus on such minor details as the perfect Z-axis alignment of items on shelves when it has no impact on the quality of the finished mod in-game at all, this mod will never be finished, and I didn't bother correcting anything or trying to finish joining because of that. Seemed almost like hazing and them intentionally trying to find as many "problems" in applications as possible, especially because the TR leads were the type to be really blunt and talk a lot of shit on the forums from what I remember. What I don't get is how they have all of the kind of people they do now when that's what they were like? The application process and attitudes of TR leadership must be very different today if all those people aren't scared off.
Nah, they still do that from what I can tell, only now the reviewer simply fixes those issues himself rather than telling you to do it (as it's faster). I think they call those things "floaters". Anyway, being obsessive perfectionists is not something I hold against them, as while it might slow them down, it doesn't worsen the output.

Dres plans
I'm pretty sure they'll do Redoran lands before Dres, meaning Dres won't be on the schedule for at least a decade more (not exagerrating, btw. If you consider how much landmass they do in how much time, a decade is a very realistic estimate). I'd be absolutely shocked if they didn't throw out and rewrite their plans for Dres five times over during that time.

I've seen some faggot dev say that house Dres should not be joinable for the player if the house is too racist and slavery loving.

Despite me absolutely shitting on the troons here, I have to say that there are core dev members who are actually sane and they will likely ensure this mod does not turn into a shitfest.

Tenebris

Scholar
only now the reviewer simply fixes those issues himself rather than telling you to do it
That certainly explains why everyone is an interior designer there. They're probably being carried by whoever does the reviewing.
Dres content
I've seen them have some discussions on House Dres and one of the members talked about how they want Dres to be no more prone to slavery than the other houses. Like not wanting them to be a bunch of mustache twirling slavers.

None

Scholar
only now the reviewer simply fixes those issues himself rather than telling you to do it
That certainly explains why everyone is an interior designer there. They're probably being carried by whoever does the reviewing.
Recent advancements (Construction Set Script Extender) has made interior design far more trivial than it used to be. The hardest part has always been getting objects to sit flat on surfaces that are not themselves flat, CSSE has more or less automated that task.

Akachi

Educated
Nah, they still do that from what I can tell, only now the reviewer simply fixes those issues himself rather than telling you to do it (as it's faster). I think they call those things "floaters". Anyway, being obsessive perfectionists is not something I hold against them, as while it might slow them down, it doesn't worsen the output.
I'm pretty sure they'll do Redoran lands before Dres, meaning Dres won't be on the schedule for at least a decade more (not exagerrating, btw. If you consider how much landmass they do in how much time, a decade is a very realistic estimate). I'd be absolutely shocked if they didn't throw out and rewrite their plans for Dres five times over during that time.
I think the output is worsened by being so slow. If it takes them three decades of working on the mod to get to Dres content, the value of it is much lower than if it had been done much sooner. Quality control is good, but they are too perfectionist to the point it detracts from the mod, as they could have much more done much quicker with little to no noticeable loss in quality. It is one of the biggest problems with modders, most are more interested in perfectionism than in actually getting anything done and being realistic.

I believe there was always more interior designers, since it was always considered easier or at least more approachable.

I've seen them have some discussions on House Dres and one of the members talked about how they want Dres to be no more prone to slavery than the other houses. Like not wanting them to be a bunch of mustache twirling slavers.
Disgusting. Not only does that contradict the way Dres is established to be, but it says a lot about whoever said that if their idea of people who insist on continued practising a form of something the majority of human civilisations did in the majority of human history has to be "mustache twirling slavers."

None

Scholar
I've been waiting for Telvanni and especially Dres content since I first heard of this mod well over a decade ago (probably closer to two decades ago now), wanting to become Archmagister and have a tower on the mainland or take over the one in Port Telvannis as my stronghold, and on another playthrough to rise through the ranks of the most true traditional Dunmer house and help them against the Empire, crushing the abolitionists and going after the other traitor houses that help the foreign occupiers and take away their ancient rights. Thinking maybe I'll get to go out into the jungle and help with their slave raids, too.

I have been waiting a long fucking time. Now I doubt any of that will ever happen, especially Dres content, and if Dres content does happen, although I try to be optimistic, it sounds like it's likely to be neutered, especially with how potentially stupid the current Dres plans are
Telvanni content has been in for a long time. It is dated and pales in comparison to the quality (mostly an absence of custom assets) of current releases. As for Dres: it is entirely up in the air how it turns out. Discussions are still ongoing and will be until someone finishes the assets needed to start working on the Deshaan. Go join the Discord and voice your opinion on the matter if you've got any ideas. Of course this is difficult because the entire faction channel is locked and public meetings are a rarity these days.

I even tried joining TR a very long time ago. I remember providing what I thought was a pretty solid example mod on the forum, but they found one or two dozen "errors" in it which IIRC were almost all stuff like items on shelves being imperceptibly off in their Z level somehow, which wasn't noticeable at all in-game and I would have been shocked if vanilla items weren't all positioned the same ways mine were. Out of all of those "errors", there might have been one or two things I actually could have improved or were mistakes from inexperience (been years so I obviously don't remember what), which I would have been fine learning from, but almost all of it was absolutely not a perceptible issue from a player-perspective or anything affecting functionality.

As I said in my reply above, the construction set has received some love. The days of hazing via furn_de are gone. It is important to note that all hazing should serve a purpose. In this case it was to show that the submitter had a certain amount of attention-to-detail and persistence, but obviously it could and did go overboard.

Tenebris

Scholar
Of course this is difficult because the entire faction channel is locked
What worries me is that they'll gradually start being more secretive and start being fully behind closed doors like the Beyond Skyrim projects. If I remember right TR used to be like that at one point but after some restructuring they became much more open. Would be monumentally stupid if they just revert back now.

Akachi

Educated
Telvanni content has been in for a long time. It is dated and pales in comparison to the quality (mostly an absence of custom assets) of current releases. As for Dres: it is entirely up in the air how it turns out. Discussions are still ongoing and will be until someone finishes the assets needed to start working on the Deshaan. Go join the Discord and voice your opinion on the matter if you've got any ideas. Of course this is difficult because the entire faction channel is locked and public meetings are a rarity these days.
Last I played, you could only rank up to Mouth (or around there) in mainland House Telvanni and it was extremely unfinished with no content past that. I'm aware of TR complaining about Dres needing assets since they apparently have somehow not managed to model and texture a single new tileset in over a decade, but they could have focused on getting those done and working on Dres a long time ago. Instead, we're going to end up getting all the boring houses like Hlaalu way before the most interesting ones that are least standard to fantasy. For that matter, we are getting the ones that aren't already in the vanilla game last. I realise it's a tad subjective and a matter of opinion, but it's a really dull choice to me.

I don't like a lot of the choices TR has made, not only the current direction but going even way back, to really be interested in participating, and especially so now given on top of all that they use Discord rather than forums or IRC. If I did, I'd contribute as a modder rather than give ideas, since ideas aren't very useful compared to making assets and content—do they really have that many people participating just to give "ideas" and input? Not that public feedback is bad, but it sounds like their Discord isn't very focused on productivity and has a lot of chit-chat and drama. It seems like there wouldn't be much point contributing anyway though, considering some of the people on the current team, and that you can be a 10+ year contributor and get kicked for making a comment about somebody in a private group DM like Vern (or whoever it was) apparently was. What awful people most of them sound like to work with.

and that you can be a 10+ year contributor and get kicked for making a comment about somebody in a private group DM like Vern (or whoever it was) apparently was. What awful people most of them sound like to work with.
Just to set the record straight, the kicked veteran dev was called Tyrant. Vern got kicked for making other devs leave because of his complaining and what not (though I've personally only had positive interactions with him).

Tenebris

Scholar
Moving to Discord was a mistake. Discord always without fail will bring in the absolute worst kind of people into the group. The people who spend their entire day on there and using it as their only form of socialization. Had they made the discord not have an offtopic at the very least would have probably made things way better. I'm surprised about the content too. Almost everything faction relation they add is either just Hlaalu or an imperial faction. This is very odd considering this is the mainland of Morrowind and not even near the border...

I also disagree with their want to not touch the base game. I believe that they should have at least some minimal Dres and Indoril representation on Vvardenfell because right now there's absolutely no reason to visit the mainland. There's nothing to point you to go there. Nothing.

dreughjiggers

Maidenhaver
I actually disagree with Twin Lamps taking any presence at all in the Deshaan. For starters, the plains are supposed to be too brutal and inhospitable for anybody but the agonistic Dres to hack it. Twin Lamps have no local support at all in Deshaan, whereas emancipators could at least find support among the imperialized, throws up further barriers.

Dres have virtually no presence or power in wider Morrowind, so how, or even why, prosecute a war with an organization that does not - cannot - interfere with their way of life, or their business with Thras and Tevanni sorcerers? The TL make for useful tools in Hlaalu's spats with Indoril and Redoran, and maybe the East Empire Company profit from trafficking slaves to freeports. Not so, in Deshaan. Where's the money in that? Now psychologically, I take it the concepts of freedom and equality never occur to those wretches who end up in Deshaan. Not even among the civilized slaves. Abandon All Hope. Its also unclear what brain-fucking the Dres may weave over their thrals. Where would the slaves escape? Where's the money? Cyrus lead an expedition to a slave camp in the Redguard comic, but he did that for a business partner: S'rathra had litter-mates in chains.

The Dres questline will certainly involve hunting runaways outside Deshaan, maybe protecting sload emissaries, (serving as enforcers for illicit contracts?), so there's room to brush into Twin Lamps, but any war between them and Dres looks shoe-horned to me. The Twin Lamps work in imperialized districts, because there's an infrastructure to work within. The only way I see some clandestine war between Twin Lamps and Dres is if TR decide to stick a massive dong up Dres' ass and shoe-horn one in.

They could explore the Dres teetering on the edge of annihilation. They're a hardy and brutal race, but maybe the argonians are changing, or the Marsh is getting quiet...

None

Scholar
Last I played, you could only rank up to Mouth (or around there) in mainland House Telvanni and it was extremely unfinished with no content past that. I'm aware of TR complaining about Dres needing assets since they apparently have somehow not managed to model and texture a single new tileset in over a decade, but they could have focused on getting those done and working on Dres a long time ago. Instead, we're going to end up getting all the boring houses like Hlaalu way before the most interesting ones that are least standard to fantasy. For that matter, we are getting the ones that aren't already in the vanilla game last. I realise it's a tad subjective and a matter of opinion, but it's a really dull choice to me.
IIRC, that is by design as you need to get all councilor's approval to become the Archmagister. Even the ones on Vvardenfell. Quest count has nearly doubled compared to vanilla. As far as "TR complaining about Dres needing assets"? Complaining to who? Themselves? This is the only faction that needs to be designed from the ground up, and is not helped by the game providing around 5 mention of House Dres. It takes time and they've been focusing on areas that have already had their exteriors made, lore established, etc. Save the best for last, as they say.

I don't like a lot of the choices TR has made, not only the current direction but going even way back, to really be interested in participating, and especially so now given on top of all that they use Discord rather than forums or IRC. If I did, I'd contribute as a modder rather than give ideas, since ideas aren't very useful compared to making assets and content—do they really have that many people participating just to give "ideas" and input? Not that public feedback is bad, but it sounds like their Discord isn't very focused on productivity and has a lot of chit-chat and drama. It seems like there wouldn't be much point contributing anyway though, considering some of the people on the current team, and that you can be a 10+ year contributor and get kicked for making a comment about somebody in a private group DM like Vern (or whoever it was) apparently was. What awful people most of them sound like to work with.
Yes, they have discussions on Discord. Anyone can participate, for the most part. The vast majority of work gets hashed out on their website in the claims browser.

I also disagree with their want to not touch the base game. I believe that they should have at least some minimal Dres and Indoril representation on Vvardenfell because right now there's absolutely no reason to visit the mainland. There's nothing to point you to go there. Nothing.
Too much of a compatibility landmine to get into. Maybe one day, but for it is best if TR focuses on the mainland.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
So what? Is that why a bunch of quests were rewritten? Just asking. Daily reminder a mod that adds two words: "trans rights," to generic dialogue somehow became the most highly upvooted morrowind mod in recent history. Even the darkelfguy was one of the first five to upvote. Its a fact that discord attracts trannies, and weirdos in general. Gaming, too.
Jesus fucking Christ, good riddance I'm not playing that shit anymore.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom