Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tales Of ... series - Vesperia out on Steam

Arkeus

Arcane
How does the combat system work?
Really depends on the game- they are all action-based (real time), but it goes from the links above to things like this in more recent game.

Basically, you get the normal hits (the change depends on the direction you hit with) and special moves that you can combo in specific ways. Star Ocean came out from the same people that did the earlier Tales and it shows in their combat system (it's pretty same-ish, except that Tales games had over 10+ games improve on it).

Machocruz

Arcane
How different is Tales combat from Valkyrie Profile's? I've played a little of Phantasiia, never got past 2-man party. Stilll looks like the best looking game in the series.

Murk

Arcane
Valyrie Profile was phase based, no? Tales is p much all real time with some variations in how much 'real' the time has.

Honestly, it's... not good regardless of what you call it.

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
All these games are fucking bad.

its_so_bad.jpg

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
They're probably the closest you'll ever get to 'playing an anime', which comes with all the bad you can expect from that sort of thing -- usually very black and white morality, romances that they constantly shove in your face but do nothing with, characters generally defined by one big trait, generic stories, cookie-cutter fantasy settings, etc.

That said, I've mostly enjoyed the series. The combat is generally pretty funny, being based mostly around stringing together attacks, waiting for moments of opportunity, and dodging. One of the PS2 entries, Tales of Legendia, was actually developed by Namco's Soul Calibur team. They're also usually incredibly large games, offering up 40+ hours for the main storyline alone, and seem to be some of the last JRPGs to still offer up a ton of optional content.

Of the ones I've played:

Phantasia - A fairly light but fun game, though its gameplay is somewhat archaic now, having been the first entry into the series and all. It's seen a ridiculous amount of translations, both official and fan-made. The original SNES version still holds up pretty well today, then there's the PSX version which got two fan translations. Tales-Cless' translation of it is probably the most well polished of the two, having been in development for literally a decade, but Absolute Zero's probably has the better localization and is the one I prefer. The PSX version is a full-on remake, adding in new content and a new battle-system.

There's also a crappy GBA version and a recently released iOS one, both of which are in English and the only two officially translated. There's currently a fan translation in progress for the PSP version (Phantasia X), which is the newest and largest version of the game. Who knows when that'll be done, though.

Destiny - The second entry into the series (I think predating even the PSX Phantasia) and as such also pretty archaic and dated, with its biggest problem probably being the high random encounter rate. Probably one of my favourites, though. The story and cast is similarly light like Phantasia's, but it fleshes its characters out a lot more and they're not quite as generic, with Stahn probably being my favourite 'Tales of' lead. The game also has quite a bit of optional content, especially towards the end where you can pick up (I think) two of four optional characters.
H
The original PSX version is the only one currently translated and from what I remember, the localization was pretty decent (especially for the time). There's a full PS2 remake but it was never released in English, though there's currently a fan translation in the works but, again, who the fuck knows when that'll be done. This was also the first title to get a direct sequel but it never got an English release, but is currently getting a fan translation.

Eternia - This tends to be a lot of people's favourite entry in the series but I personally found it to be really bland. The battle-system gets a pretty large update here (it followed Destiny), making it more fluid and fun, but it's dragged down by its very bland cast and story. They tried to make it more somber but it just doesn't work, and your party is mostly made up of a bunch of boring characters.

Sympohnia - Probably thee fan-favourite of the series. It moves the series into full 3D, making its battles take place on a fully realized three dimensional field, allowing for greater mobility and a better range of tactics. It's a fairly meaty game, with it having taken me somewhere around 60 hours to complete my first time through, and I ended up missing a bunch of side content. It has an okay story for the series, generally managing to hit a balance between the lightness of Phantasia and the somewhat more somber tone of Eternia. Its cast is hit-and-miss, with Lloyd probably being one of my least favourite Tales protagonists but it has some good characters, like Kratos and Regal.

The GameCube version is the only one currently available in English. It got a PS2 port with added content but it never saw an English release. However, it is currently getting a HD PS3 release with the PS2 content plus some new stuff, bundled with its sequel, Dawn of the New World, though I never played that but it seems to be almost universally disliked.

Legendia - Made by Namco's Soul Calibur team, this one probably plays more like a fighting game than the others. One of the biggest changes is that it goes back to the more linear two-dimensional battle field, which is fairly limiting compared to Symphonia but I had fun with it. The story is fairly generic and not all that great but the cast is mostly good, with the game going for an almost comedic tone a lot of the time.

It was officially localized for the PS2 and they did a pretty good job with it. That said, there is one major fuck up. The game is split into two halves - the first being the main story and then the second being a series of smaller stories based on one particular party member. For some reason the localization team thought that second half was some sort of bonus content and thus didn't bother to record any voice acting for any of it, making the second half almost entirely silent.

Abyss - Going back to the three dimensional field of Symphonia, this one easily has one of the best battle-systems of the English released entries. They don't really change much compared to Symphonia but they do improve and fine-tune it, making it much more fluid and easy to use. The story is actually fairly decent this time around and even interesting at certain parts, complimented with a pretty good cast. There is one part near the middle that annoyed the shit outta me but it's fairly spoilerly.

It was released on the PS2 and later the 3DS, though I don't believe they added any content to it.

Graces - Whereas all the previous titles basically used MP for special attacks, this one uses more of a gauge that refills itself naturally throughout the battle, allowing you to use special attacks with much more frequency. The gauge refills depending on how well you fight, with doing stuff like dodging at the last moment and hitting a weakness refilling the gauge. The other big change is how the game utilizes 'titles'. Before in the series, a character would get a new title during a certain story event and it'd usually be mostly cosmetic, with no real effect on gameplay. This time, though, titles are the main way of unlocking attacks and add permanent bonuses to stats, as well as other passive bonuses. The titles then level-up as you fight, each having four passives to unlock.

The story is... okay, though it hits on the friendship theme way too hard and way too often. The cast ranges from bland to interesting, with my two favourites being Sophie and Pascal. They manage to flesh out the party fairly well, establishing a decent web of relationships between them, and all the characters get a decent amount of screen time throughout the entirety of the game.

The game was first released on the Wii but then re-released on the PS3 with more content, which is the version that got localized into English. The English voice cast is decent, though some of them take a while to get into character.

The others that have been released in English that I haven't played are:

Vesperia - This one seems to be universally loved. It originally came out on the 360, with that one being released into English, but then was re-released on the PS3 with bonus content. There were rumours going around of it getting an English release but it never did, though a fan-translation is in the works.

Innocence - Released on the DS, it was never officially localized but got a fan translation. I actually played this one for a bit but didn't get too far into it. It seemed decent enough, though instead of the usual party of four characters it got cut down to three, though beyond that it was fairly similar to Abyss.

Dawn of the New World - A direct sequel to Symphonia. It seems to have gotten mostly middling to negative reviews. There's apparently only two real party members, as one of the biggest changes is a sort of Pokemon-esque system where you can capture monsters and use them in battle.

Xillia - Reception for it seems mixed. As far as I know, it had a fairly short development cycle and it apparently shows, with a few reviews mentioning that its very linear. The game is kinda split into two as you get to choose which of the two main characters at the start is the lead, with some stuff playing out differently depending on who you choose. I've heard that not a whole lot changes between the two, with it mostly having been a cheap way of increasing the game's length.

Tempest - An entry into the series so shitty that Namco axed it from the main line up and now considers it to be some sort of odd spin-off. I really haven't heard anything good about it. It was translated as some sort of April Fool's joke, though how wasting two years translating a game you know to be shitty is supposed to be a prank is beyond me.

There's a couple of entries that haven't seen any sort of English release, those being: Destiny 2, Rebirth, and Hearts. Haven't really looked into any of them to comment but I do know each one of them currently has a fan translation in progress.

Vesperia was universally loved by everyne except me

A user named cat

These games are a total guilty pleasure. The stories are typical bunk, many retarded characters (Abyss had probably the most embarrassing anime-ish chars of them all) and some retardation throughout but damn the combat systems are just fun especially once you get some skills to use and grind. ToD2 for PSX was quite fun and really replayable but Symphonia probably got everything down the best. Loved fighting those crazy difficult optional bosses and racking up insane combos. It also had Robin from Teen Titans as the main VA and Sheena was actually likable.

Keldryn

Arcane
I quite enjoyed Tales of Symphonia on the Gamecube. It's a pretty long game, and I had a lot of fun with it. I've tried playing the sequel (Dawn of the New World), but I stopped after a couple of hours. The main character was intolerable and the re-used areas felt really cheap. Maybe I'll give it another shot one day.

I got Tales of the Abyss (3DS) this past Christmas. I've played it for about 3 hours, but I put it aside to play Shin Megami Tensei IV first (also received for Christmas). It plays a lot like Symphonia, but the main character is incredibly unlikeable (at least at the start).

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I was watching someplay play Symphonia yesterday and realized a big part of what makes me like some of these action battle style games (tales games and star ocean games) but not others. In some of them (like the 2d tales games or star ocean 2) your attacks have weight to them. Enemies get juggled constantly, and your special attacks often launch enemies very high or far away. Most of the difficult arises because the instant an enemy isn't being juggled between your rapesquad it fires off some doomspell in 1.3 seconds that decimates your party, or it punches some poor fucker for unfair amounts of damage. But in other games (like most of the 3D tales games and later star ocean games) your attacks have no weight at all. The enemies stand there ignoring your attacks like your weapons are wet noodles, and the whole thing becomes a tiresome affair of attrition because you can't interrupt sweet fuck all. Even some piddly little snake or rabbit stands there and takes hits on the chin as though it's a fucking rhino.

vs

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Playing Tales of Hearts R on Vita. I like it. The story is nice, the characters are okay. I'm digging the combat system, it seems p.cool, though I still have to master some of it's aspects.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
the ones i played :
Phantasia : i just remember i enjoyed it.
Abyss : a good story (with some very good parts), a descent cast. It's a long game.
Vesperia : awesome graphics, a very nice main character and descent cast and story. The crafting system is very cool. It's a very long game.

I probably chose some good episodes but i really enjoyed them.

I don't really know why, since it is real time based, but i like the combat system of these games (and of course of Star Oceans too).

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik

Well, games are going hardcore.

Also this:

Last edited:

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Tales of phantasy snes has a good fan translation so i didn't feel the need to play the PS1 version - not that there is a significant difference i can discern except PS1 prob has worse loading times.
However iirc ToP story itself is one of those annoying early japonese things where the cliches replace effective storytelling so you're more or less flying blind on motivation. Like a less surreal Romancing Saga 3; maybe the PS1 translation is a masterpiece compared and makes everything clear.

Also the swordcraft story games are a obvious tales of clone of the combat system. Obvious, but probably inferior, not that i can remember (or care).

Last edited:

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
I liked endboss in Tales of Eternia and fighting him without Aurora barrier. It was difficult fight.

Rpgsaurus Rex

The Tales fanbase is predominantly female, apparently. Which explains why pretty boy characters always take top spots in popularity polls.

The extent of my knowledge about this franchise ends here.

Duraframe300

Arcane
We have a Tales thread?

Yeah, anyway

Favourite one Vesperia (Duh) and right behind it Tales of Graces f.

Duraframe300

Arcane
A thing I hate about the new games is that they seemingly decided to go with the ugly Xillia artstyle going forward than with Vesperias.

I thought Vesperia was pretty much the perfect anime Tales look.

I don't care for a free camera especially if the Level Design is as horrible as in the Xillia games.

Gerrard

Arcane
I actually haven't paid much attention to the series in a long while (mostly because Namco is shit).

Tales of phantasy snes has a good fan translation
No it doesn't. There are parts where it can hardly be even called a translation.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom