Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Tales Of ... series - Vesperia out on Steam

Reinhardt

Arcane
Everyone in party has their nemesis and i liked her final showdown the most of them all.

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
So .. I'm kinda hooked already. I was not expecting such dark backstory to such generic looking JRPG at first. lmao But i'm quite impressed honestly and already quite enjoy Velvet (or Guts from Berserk with Boobs) and Rokurou , but i want to kick Maligou in the face.
It's all about whether you find the characters interesting or not
Well , the game did a pretty good job with that first two hours or so. I hope it continues being as good.

Also the game being self aware of Velvet's stupid outfit is cute.. Inded girl , put some cloths on shit looks cold af.

Yeah, it definitely gets better, that happens with all Tales games.
And Magilou is good. She'll grow on you for sure.

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
So far a few more hours with Berseria and really enjoying. I think the reason why i'm enjoying so much is that Berseria is the most blatantly copy of the manga Berserk (RIP Miura) but it understand why Berserk works. Hell Velvet and Number Two dynamic is just Guts and Schierke. My only issue with the game, it's the combat is a bit too simple and it's horrible to play with Mouse and Keyboard lol. Need a controller ASP.

349-3493467_laphicet-tales-of-berseria-velvet.png

0254ba4529ec1e1b82198cf0f96fbe04.jpg

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Honestly anyone who thinks Magilou is good should get a cancer and die from it painfully. She single handedly ruined the game.

HELLO!
List why Magilou is bad, as someone who's obviously played and finished the game.

Tse Tse Fly

Savant
Can someone explain why Tales of Berseria, a game from 6+ years ago, still has the Denuvo anti-piracy something integrated, whereas Tales of Arise, the newer game from 2021, has not (at least that's what its Steam page says)? Berseria often gets deep discounts on Steam and that's one Tales of game I've been eyeing for some time, but the notice about Denuvo always puts me off. Same thing about their God Eater games they put out on Steam. God Eater 2 still comes with Denuvo packaged along with it and God Eater 3 doesn't. I mean who the fuck cares at this point?

(I know the actual answer to my question, I'm just expressing my discontent)

Last edited:

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Can someone explain why Tales of Berseria, a game from 6+ years ago, still has the Denuvo anti-piracy something integrated, whereas Tales of Arise, the newer game from 2021, has not (at least that's what its Steam page says)?

Because Berseria ended up being pretty successful (more than they thought it'd be) and they wanted Arise to sell even more? Not sure, but if that was the reason, it was the right decision, Arise did sell and definitely overtook Berseria.

the notice about Denuvo always puts me off.

The game's been cracked, if you want to go that route. I think it's a good one to spend money on when it's on discount (I see it's still full price now, wtf), but I understand the Denuvo concerns.

Tse Tse Fly

Savant
If Berseria has been cracked and Arise even sold better despite having no Denuvo (I see its Steam page makes no mention of it), then what's the point for Berseria to still have it? It's that I specifically want to have this game on Steam (so that others would see what prestigious taste in games I have), but I just can't imagine how little of a fuck the developers must give about their own game if they let it stay like that. Until it's time to crap out another overpriced remaster, of course. Doesn't Denuvo cost them money to use it, despite having no effect on the game's sales (if only negative) at this point? It's like Bamco either forgot this game ever existed or don't care anymore or information on its Steam page is incorrect.

Last edited:

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I specifically want to have this game on Steam (so that others would see what prestigious taste in games I have)

Well, you're the exact opposite of me, I have multiple Steam accounts and prefer buying on GOG when I can, anyway.

but I just can't imagine how little of a fuck the developers must give about their own game if they let it stay like that. Until it's time to crap out another overpriced remaster, of course. Doesn't Denuvo cost them money to use it, despite having no effect on the game's sales (if only negative) at this point? It's like Bamco either forgot this game ever existed or don't care anymore or information on its Steam page is incorrect.

The information is correct, it probably still just has a very old version of Denuvo.
Employing Denuvo in a game is a subscription type of deal, where the publishers keep paying as long as they want it to keep working- not sure what happens if the subscription ends. At best the protection stops working and the game works fine, at worst the game breaks and doesn't let any player launch it.

BN might have a preset contract with Denuvo with a length of, say, ten years. They might have also paid up front for the whole thing, so there could also be a correlation between the fact the game is still full price and it having Denuvo.
It just ain't good for anyone involved.

vibehunter

Learned
So I've been trying to get into these games for a long time now. Have only played a few.

Symphonia - Couldn't finish it
Vesperia - Couldn't finish it
Berseria - finished and really enjoyed it
Arise - finished it but didn't like it

Is this series not for me or have I been trying the wrong games?

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
So I've been trying to get into these games for a long time now. Have only played a few.

It depends. Graces f and Destiny R have the best combat. If you don't like the story and characters of the games that you have tried, Graces f and Destiny R won't change your mind.

vibehunter

Learned

It depends. Graces f and Destiny R have the best combat. If you don't like the story and characters of the games that you have tried, Graces f and Destiny R won't change your mind.
Character-wise I enjoyed Berseria and Vesperia the most. Everyone else was alright. Didn't find anyone truly insufferable.

Tales combat is a mixed bag for me. Combining artes into combos and juggling enemies is fun. But I dislike the movement and camera controls in some of the older games. I wish these games were turn-based with full party control tbh.

Duraframe300

Arcane
Arise inspired me to revisit the Tales series

Tales of Phantasia done

2021-10-01-199.png

2021-10-01-201.png

Destiny next

I've continued the run over the past two years, 100% every game in the series and finally finished Graces F as of last week (Still love it). Some games have sunk in my evaluation, some games I have found new appreciation for, which brings us to..... Xillia.

Some people may be aware that I have a unique hate for the game and the decline it brought the franchise is still recovering from. Though it does recover steadily. (IMO, divisive I know). Funnily enough, having started a replay on RPCS3 lots of the same feelings regarding the prologue/beginning are flooding back.

So let's go back to my mind over a decade ago:

- Holy shit first 3D Tales. This is going to be interesting.
- Fuck Fennmont is a beautiful city. (Some filters on top of the image I don't like, but ok).
- Jude seems very likeable.
- Yeah, like it so far.
- Sphere-Grid like advancement system. Do seem to put their own spin on it.
- Not sure how I feel about the new menu system. But ok, some things change.
- Yeah, liking it. Fennmont still looks beautiful. If that's the level of artistic direction the game has this is looking good for translation into 3D.
- Op's nice
- Story looks entertaining.
- Alvin looks enjoyable too.

LET'S DO THIS. HYPED.

- Ok, this new harbor looks exactly the same as the other one. That's... concerning.
- Shop expansion? Seems kind of pointless at best other than for fucking around on New Game+. Also makes every shop in the game the exact same selection? Yeah, not a fan.

- Hmmmmmmm.........

- Hey man. Stop nitpicking. Looks promising and enjoyable so far, you got to turn down your expectations anyway. It's their first 3D entry. So what if the harbors look the exact same? I mean imagine if nearly every location and interior had the exact same copy pasted layout with only NPC's shuffled around, a ton of other gameplay systems are introduced that are just as pointless and unfun and massive decline from the likes of graces and the story and characters take a massive dive downward, complete with a lame villian that's constantly dick sucked by the game to the point where even the motivation your own group finds at the end to fight against him feels kind of pointless.

There's no way that can hap.....

5fa47d4c-3b85-4565-b5ff-f98fd10d8370

:rage:

In all seriousness, I was severely jaded by what was for me a severe decline in some key aspects of Tales. Good chance I'm coming out of the game with at least a bit more of a positive impression this time despite the issues that are still very much there. I did enjoy Xillia 2 more back then and that inherited quite a few of the issues (including basically re-using Xillia's world of endless copy paste), but I remember it having a lot better content comparatively. Maybe that was in part due to having already calmed down a bit.

Anyway, with the fully 3D Tales games I'm entering the final part of this journey. Been a fun experience.

Edit: General note: If you want to check Xillia out and form your own opinion. It's one of the faster games on RPCS3, scales well to higher resolutions and has a 60fps patch.

Vic

Savant
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Bethestard
I’m in endgame of tales of arise and the last bossfight I did was just me spamming one button for 7 minutes. at least the developers were aware how boring their combat is and added party banter during combat so you are not completely bored.

Duraframe300

Arcane
I’m in endgame of tales of arise and the last bossfight I did was just me spamming one button for 7 minutes. at least the developers were aware how boring their combat is and added party banter during combat so you are not completely bored.
That's a viable tactic in every Tales battle and game tbf. Never the most efficient, but yeah.

You can also press 0 buttons if you want. Auto with the right setup is perfectly capable to beat every Tales game at highest difficulty.

Lhynn

Arcane

So Ive been playing it for a few days, and im finding it very interesting. Heard it can get grindy later on, but so far its fantastic.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom