Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Takedown: Red Sabre, aka "Hardcore Tactical Shooter"

Angthoron

Arcane
Their next project could be a hardcore Farmville strategy - you take charge of a Filipino ladyboy farm and must ensure your dominance in the ladyboy market. The twist? LADYBOYS CAN DIE.

Hardcore++

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Their next project could be a hardcore Farmville strategy - you take charge of a Filipino ladyboy farm and must ensure your dominance in the ladyboy market. The twist? LADYBOYS CAN DIE.

Hardcore++

If they made pimpslapping a skill I'd play that.

Angthoron

Arcane

Hardcore++

If they made pimpslapping a skill I'd play that.
Of course it'd be there. And if you'd ever quit, the game would send you periodic messages like TOR does, with stuff like "Nobody has milked your ladyboys for a month, they are suffering... Please come back My Lord :("

Edit: Oh, and there's a word from the expert freelancer graphics editor, here's a concept art for the game!

FhJy3.jpg

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The problem with any FPS Kickstarter concept is that there are probably more than enough people out there willing to make that sort of thing as a free mod for an existing game (and they probably already have). It would be like somebody doing a Kickstarter for LoTR Total War-style game.
Kickstarter works best for genres with narrative content, made by somebody whose story the fans want to hear.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Of course it'd be there. And if you'd ever quit, the game would send you periodic messages like TOR does, with stuff like "Nobody has milked your ladyboys for a month, they are suffering... Please come back My Lord :("

where do I pledge for the signed collectors edition?
:bounce:

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Mr. Allen admits that the artist had nothing to do with the concept arts:

On note on legal issues, let's find public domain pictures or pictures licensed under GNU or Creative Commons (if the license allow for commercial use and derivative works) and use those instead to base concept arts on.

Christian, you should really reprimand that professional artist and tell him that he is a worthless piece of amphibian ###### (well, don't say exactly like that)
Negative. It was the responsibility of Serellan LLC, no one else.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
From this thread: http://www.serellan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/167-concept-art/page__st__60

Serellan, my name is Dan Evans and I am the photographer who took the photo that your third concept art is using. The photograph is copyrighted by the Lodi News-Setinel with limited usage rights to me, chief photographer of the LNS. You have used the image without permission.

I am requesting that you please remove the image so further action does not need to be taken. Thank you.

:M

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Mr. Allen admits that the artist had nothing to do with the concept arts:

On note on legal issues, let's find public domain pictures or pictures licensed under GNU or Creative Commons (if the license allow for commercial use and derivative works) and use those instead to base concept arts on.

Christian, you should really reprimand that professional artist and tell him that he is a worthless piece of amphibian ###### (well, don't say exactly like that)
Negative. It was the responsibility of Serellan LLC, no one else.

I think you misunderstood him. Of course the artist made the concept art. He's just taking legal responsibility.
Admittedly, he phrased it in an unusual way - clearly, Christian Allen is kind of a sperg an unusual man.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
It kind of makes you wonder. If the game clearly wasn't destined to fail (no way they're getting another $100k in 4 days), would kickstarter pull the plug on it given the amount of negative attention the project has generated over the last few days. I mean, if by some freak accident the project got funded, we'd be hearing about "That kickstarted trainwreck" for a year or two before it was formally declared vapourware, pulling Kickstarters name through the mud along with Serrellan.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Following up on my earlier post...

http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=465260&page=4

soultron said:
I'm about to pull my money.

The cause is admirable, but the execution is lacking.

Originally Posted by subversus:
what is there? he's just facepalming about people not understanding how his game can be different from what pubs offer.

He's been engaging in conversation now, which is awesome. I'll give him that.

Initially, however, I just didn't like the way he responded to me. I was only trying to help, to tell him to stop wasting his time on people who either will not or are not yet part of his audience. I even told him that CliffyB would probably be nice enough to tweet about it get him some exposure, but he shot it down.

I basically said, "fuck it," and tweeted CliffyB, Brian Fargo, and Tim Schafer on his behalf. I started with Cliff since he said he wasn't going to bother and then just added the other two in because they know what it's like trying to revive long-lost genres via KickStarter.

I don't know what stresses this guy is going through (probably a lot since he's independent now, trying to revive something he's passionate about, and spent a lot of money doing his new pitch video) but I just don't think being negative or condescending (to people in the comments section of Kotaku) is a professional look. You feel me?

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Kickstarter are much too big for a project like this to drag them down. If you browse through the project archives you'll see that most of them are failed and were highly unlikely to succeed. "Takedown" will merely be the newest bag of trash in the landfill. Kickstarter has made it clear from the start that they take no responsibility for a project apart from basic screening, succeeding is all up to the individual project.

Angthoron

Arcane
Well, I have to say that even without any of the douchebaggery that the thing has brought about, you can strike this project from the list of things to follow simply because "PS3 camera will be third person". I'm sorry but how are you making a "hardcore tactical shooter" with TPS view? And yeah, I know there's Hidden and Dangerous and such but it's not exactly the same genre, so what the heck mans.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
But it's all a moot point anyhow. Jut a few days to go until project TAKEDOWN is....

Taken down

:bro::yeah:

MetalCraze

Arcane
LordDenton said:
So what do you suggest we do, Skyway? Do nothing and hope for the best?
See a proof that the game is properly good. Design docs. The engine. Devs talking about the gameplay in-depth. And a proof that these devs can make good games too - which InXile does not have at all. Just like Stoic. Just like Serellan.
When devs get money from investors which in other cases = publishers - they first need to show them what they are going to pour money into.

But with Kickstarter all you get is a game name and a very vague promise of something. And absolutely nothing else.

But that isn't all that's bad with Kickstarter. That's just the part where devs are being assholes.
See people giving money to Stoic when they said they are doing a turn based tactical strategy. And what happened next? Stoic dev came and said that it will be like Final Fantasy Tactics and stuff like stats is boring. The fuck? But sheeple instead of going "what the fuck are you fucking retarded, Stoic?" - defend them to the last drop of blood because they don't care about getting a good game. All they care is their street cred of "Anti-mainstream supporter" and finding an excuse for wasting the money for nothing.

Oesophagus

Arcane
All they care is their street cred of "Anti-mainstream supporter" and finding an excuse for wasting the money for nothing.

So you're saying the Codex donated to Wasteland 2 because they have some vain need to be "alternative"? Because it seems to me that we do indeed expect a good game from Fargo

funkadelik

Arcane
$15 spent on hope rather than $60 wasted on cutscene trash I play for an hour? Incomparable.

MetalCraze

Arcane
If you spend $60 on a cutscene trash that you play for 1 hour that doesn't make you smart, bro.
Why do you do it?

So you're saying the Codex donated to Wasteland 2 because they have some vain need to be "alternative"?
Exactly. Codex donates because people want to get a statue, not a good game. It's all about the inflated ego of "counter-culture" Codex.
What else? The game exists only in a form of a name and nothing else.

Because it seems to me that we do indeed expect a good game from Fargo
What was the last good game from Fargo? What game was not shit from InXile?

People donate because he is Fargo. Because they heard he did some cool game 20+ years ago before they were even born - which they never played. It's a celebrity marketing.

Why Fargo never said what his game is? Saying Wasteland 2 is not enough. Saying top down turn based is not enough.
It can be another Final Banner Fantasy Saga piece of shit for all we know.

Show us the fucking engine, gameplay and design docs. Instead a dev of a shitty Hunted: Demon's Forge popamole with bows talks about some unrelated but pretentious stuff.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Reread the interviews, kraze. He's said a bit more than just "top down turn based".

Anyway, he is working on a vision document, so we'll see.

Oesophagus

Arcane
MetalCraze said:
Exactly. Codex donates because people want to get a statue, not a good game. It's all about the inflated ego of "counter-culture" Codex.
What else? The game exists only in a form of a name and nothing else.

From what I gather a lot of people donated both to the kickstarter AND to the codex fund.

Also, this post is sponsored by the emperor Nero :smug:

MetalCraze

Arcane
Reread the interviews, kraze. He's said a bit more than just "top down turn based".

He said nothing of value.

From what I gather a lot of people donated both to the kickstarter AND to the codex fund.

So what?

Twice the warm and fuzzy feeling that they are fighting the mainstream by donating to one of the most mainstream devs out there?

Why not go and buy some Paradox games instead of supporting a studio that never did a good game and doesn't even have a "vision document" (sounds totally not like some pretentious babbling)? Ah of course - Paradox is not mainstream (popular) enough, nobody will think I'm a great incliner if I will buy CK2.

The theory of Codex caring about good games doesn't go well with a fact of them mass-buying and enjoying Skyrim while CK2 is barely noticed, as usual.

Destroid

Arcane
I feel bad for the Takedown guy, despite the shitty kickstarter destined to fail, it's just unlucky to get further embarrassed by a freelance artist.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
So what do you suggest we do, Skyway? Do nothing and hope for the best?

I pledged $15 for Wasteland 2, hoping for something in same vein as the older Fallouts simply because there is no other means for them to be created. Publishers won't invest in them, and indies don't have either the financial or creative capabilities to make them.

Kickstarter allows us to fund the game (we are taking the risk that publishers typically take), thus solving the financial issue. And there is no question about the creative capability and skill of the team, since it's composed of people who worked on the original Wasteland and Fallouts. Hell, even if they don't deliver (highly unlikely), they can take that $15 as a thank you for creating the original Fallout.
So, you probably haven't even played Wasteland and you just hope that Wasteland 2 will be like Fallout despite that Fallout wasn't even similar to Wasteland?
That's the same kind of cultural vandalism as the TeS crowd practised during the FINO3 days.

Marobug

I feel bad for the Takedown guy, despite the shitty kickstarter destined to fail, it's just unlucky to get further embarrassed by a freelance artist.
I don't think he was tricked into this. I'm pretty sure he knew about this, at least his posts seem to indicate that.
To make things worse, at first he shrugged off the accusations, insisted the photos were painted, then after the owner contacted him and threatened to sue he apologized and said he didn't know they couldn't steal copyrighted photos. That's just pathetic. He wasn't embarrassed by the concept artist, he embarrassed himself.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
I don't think he was tricked into this. I'm pretty sure he knew about this, at least his posts seem to indicate that.
To make things worse, at first he shrugged off the accusations, insisted the photos were painted, then after the owner contacted him and threatened to sue he apologized and said he didn't know they couldn't steal copyrighted photos. That's just pathetic. He wasn't embarrassed by the concept artist, he embarrassed himself.
Hey, not everyone is a lawyer. It is still quite common among the older generations to not know how copyright works. Also, he didn't steal these photos. He painted them over/copied, whatever.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom