Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Stellaris - Paradox new sci-fi grand strategy game

Quigs

Magister
Twilight of the Imperium?

There's a Stellaris Mod named Twilight of the Imperium and it's not a fucking TWILIGHT IMPERIUM mod? What a bunch of creatively bankrupt fuckwits.

Twilight-imperium-layout_12.jpg

Inspectah

Savant
fuck. much like ck2, I will end up buying this pos for the mods.
Still sad that I don't think paradox will ever reach the quality of Darkest Hour again

Monocause

Arcane
Been watching Arumba's LP and really, really hyped for this.

BTW - on gram.pl it's 130 PLN - best deal i've seen on the net so far.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
This looks like it will be pretty bad on launch. Maybe after 5+ years of DLC and bugfixes it will be worth it in a 75% off bundle, but not before.

Doma

Augur
This looks like it will be pretty bad on launch. Maybe after 5+ years of DLC and bugfixes it will be worth it in a 75% off bundle, but not before.

What do you think looks bad from what we have currently seen?

I am a pretty big 4x fan and I think it looks fantastic so far. It might even replace Distant Worlds: Universe as my favourite 4x game.

Please elaborate :)

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Bought it fully expecting to be a bit barebones at the start and needing several patches and dlc to come unto its own. Before becoming a disjointed mess due to dlc overload.

Still, I did the same with CK2 and had 100's of hours of fun and even modded for it. So there's that.

acer palmatum

Scholar

What do you think looks bad from what we have currently seen?

I am a pretty big 4x fan and I think it looks fantastic so far. It might even replace Distant Worlds: Universe as my favourite 4x game.

Please elaborate :)

Some people just want to be negative - even more so here in this "elitist" forum. Don't mind them.

flyingjohn

Arcane
There seems to be some shenanigans going on with slaves,it seems they can't rebel.(probably gonna be fixed in the future)
That kinda seems like a big problem.(you can enslave without any major consequence,which seems op)

Kem0sabe

Arcane
There seems to be some shenanigans going on with slaves,it seems they can't rebel.(probably gonna be fixed in the future)
That kinda seems like a big problem.(you can enslave without any major consequence,which seems op)
You need to save a lot of game mechanics for the dlc. Paradox will milk this shit like never before.

Ludovic

Valravn Games
Developer
From what I read, the slave revolts were deactivated because all slave rebels would join the same faction, thus making them too strong/annoying/unfun. So Paradox disabled them until they can figure out less annoying mechanics. The downside is that now using slaves is massively overpowered (and can be used in an exploit-like fashion to neuter independence factions).

It's a shame they are completely deactivating parts of game mechanic this way, and I hope they get it fixed asap. Otherwise slavery should just be taken out rather than left as a broken mechanic. However, slavery being integrated into numerous ethics and traits would make this really painful.

I'd guess they are pretty deep in crunch trying to get as many bugs as possible fixed before tomorrow - also explaining the lack of Steam pre-load and the continued use of nightly builds. I am expecting a not quite finished and polished game tomorrow, even though I do expect to play and enjoy the heck out of it anyway. Paradox may have a tendency to release somewhat broken builds - but their post-launch support is amazing, and I am confident that they will fix any issues in pretty short order.

Beastro

Arcane
The little toon animations piss me off, the way their heads and shit move.

Reminds me of that fucking show Max and Ruby I see my nieces watching. Something about it just drives me nuts.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
From what I read, the slave revolts were deactivated because all slave rebels would join the same faction, thus making them too strong/annoying/unfun. So Paradox disabled them until they can figure out less annoying mechanics. The downside is that now using slaves is massively overpowered (and can be used in an exploit-like fashion to neuter independence factions).

Sounds like Space Vikings are go for the first game then!

IMHO slave revolts shouldn't be the main downside of slavery anyway, with technology keeping slaves suppressed and docile should be fairly simple. It should mainly be a productivity penalty for slaves compared to free pops, and political opposition from librul pops.

oscar

Arcane
They don't contribute much science was the trade off I thought. Slave revolts if things start getting unstable combined with a weak military would be neat though.

I can imagine espionage options from foreign agitators could play a big role as well.

Beastro

Arcane
Watching Quill and not liking the xenophobia/phile thing in faction creation once I saw how first contacts are handled.

IMO, that shit should be emergent with you're people becoming welcoming or leery of new races depending on how interactions go with the very first alien encounter being hugely influential to how all are looked on after. Ex: first aliens met attack your ships, then come back trying to invade will justifiably make your race become paranoid and colour all interactions with others thereafter.

exe

Augur
Why should slaves we able to revolt? This is sci-fi, they get their loyalty chips and be good little drones.
(Why slaves in the first place? Why not robots?)

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Why should slaves we able to revolt? This is sci-fi, they get their loyalty chips and be good little drones.
(Why slaves in the first place? Why not robots?)
You need to research robots before you can build them, I don't think they're available at game start. And unlike slaves, robots can revolt if you let them get smart enough. Finally, slaves are a naturally occurring and renewable resource.

Ludovic

Valravn Games
Developer
Slaves also come with pre-built infrastructure and organization. In addition, your military has already proven it can beat them. To me, the ideal slave mechanics would involve choosing the exact nature of enslavement - biological/cybernetic modification to create de facto drone workers, super harsh "push them till they drop", old school slavery via physical threats and psychological abuse, or a more "soft" slavery where they are included in the empire as a less-privileged class, but not without relative freedom, and perhaps even the possibility to earn freedom somehow. Perhaps something that could modded in through edicts.

I think a major distinguishing factor between slave populations and normal populations should be the reaction to conquest by 3rd parties. Slaves if emancipated should be pretty happy and productive, while non-slaves will be unhappy, rebellious and resist occupation. I think this would make for interesting game play, maybe even allowing for shipping off entire planetary populations to safer worlds to avoid this.

Does anyone know if "harvesting" conquered races for biological resources and research is a thing?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom