Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Stellaris - Paradox new sci-fi grand strategy game

Hoodoo

It gets passed around.
Yeah you outsource the alpha testing to naive gamers for 3 years straight.
What are you talking about? Part of the enjoyment of playing the game is having to constantly change play-styles to adapt to the new version.

Paradox game design follows the same parameters as sport. You create a rough framework and then adapt that framework according to how people play. Hell, it's the same way the market works.

You don't pay 45$ to play football lite.

15$ deal, turn your brick into a genuine rubber ball.

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin
Yeah you outsource the alpha testing to naive gamers for 3 years straight.
What are you talking about? Part of the enjoyment of playing the game is having to constantly change play-styles to adapt to the new version.

Paradox game design follows the same parameters as sport. You create a rough framework and then adapt that framework according to how people play. Hell, it's the same way the market works.

You don't pay 45$ to play football lite.

15$ deal, turn your brick into a genuine rubber ball.
In total agreement with you here. Their DLC policy is bad. Really bad. And no, I don't care about the nickel and diming. Their DLC model prevents them from following the timeline I set up above, as they will never fix features of a DLC. DLC should be cosmetic only.

back in the day we loathed dlcs because horse armors were ripped out of the game to be sold separately.
now you want horse armors to be ripped out of the game to be sold separately.

acer palmatum

Scholar
back in the day we loathed dlcs because horse armors were ripped out of the game to be sold separately.
now you want horse armors to be ripped out of the game to be sold separately.

No need to buy horse armor, if modders give you whole horses in full armor for free. And all the other cool stuff that usually hits Paradoxgames from the beyond.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Release is only harming the game. take Half-Life 3, for example. It's perfect in it's current state, flawless and ideal. Why cripple it with release? Until going gold the game exists in a many variants, and once released, people can experience only one of such variants. No, games should be developed indefinitely.

Last edited:

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So what is the Codex Consensus™ for the game? I found a nice 20 euro offer in a shady cdkey site and Im considering it

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Oh I think we can reach a consensus right now that you need to wait for a few patches or maybe mods first.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
thanks to ulminati i will have to play this heap

1UL3EO2.png

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
I've bought some time ago Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition on Steam and refunded the next day but I was still able to launch the game afterwards.
Will I be able to do that with Stellaris?

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Oh I think we can reach a consensus right now that you need to wait for a few patches or maybe mods first.
There you go. It's the Codex here guys, opinions are made without the necessity of first hand experience. Learn from the masters

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
There you go. It's the Codex here guys, opinions are made without the necessity of first hand experience. Learn from the masters
Going by all of Paradoxes previous grand strategy titles, it's very accurate. They're always a buggy mess at first and require a fair amount of mods and/or paid DLC before they get any semblance of depth or balance.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
I've bought some time ago Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition on Steam and refunded the next day but I was still able to launch the game afterwards.
Will I be able to do that with Stellaris?
Paradox games have no DRM so once the executable is on your disk they can't stop you from playing.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron

I have been playing their games since EU1 times so I know my Paradox thank you.
I was actually serious and your answer was just fine

Nahel

Arcane
Paradox games can also get worse with DLC and patches...CK2 is a good example. I would take the release bugs to the "balancing" done by Paradox

Beastro

Arcane
Paradox games have no DRM so once the executable is on your disk they can't stop you from playing.

They know better.

Mods are the best part of their games so they hide the forums behind the game keys.

Even if you torrent the game it helps to buy their games on sale just for access.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I noticed there is already 2 cosmetics dlcs "out". The pre-order thing, and then the galaxy version dlc. LAME!

6 races will be missing by buying it after release, or the normal version.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
I noticed there is already 2 cosmetics dlcs "out". The pre-order thing, and then the galaxy version dlc. LAME!

6 races will be missing by buying it after release, or the normal version.
It's fucking paradox, the most anti consumer publisher bellow the AAA tier of customer buggery.

The fact this is SciFi, andniwnt constrained by such things as history and 'realism', will allow them to milk the game for DLC in a way they have never managed before...

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
You mean like the historically accurate Aztec invasion of Europe?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom