Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Stardew Valley: Indie Harvest Moon on PC

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Where are my beans?

GrainWetski

Arcane
Bethesda removed them. They were far too complex for the average Bethesda fan.

Last edited:

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Where are my beans?

Here you go.

Shit, I should have given you 4.

76ea10af86.gif

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I keep them inside my house. Walk in, take bars, fill them up, sleep, take more bars, fill again. 2 uses of each smelter each day without any extra waiting around or going out of my way.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Metro
I've thrown together this handy-dandy reference chart:

21b5487204.png

Ah nuts, I forgot to add "content-complete on release day" vs. "pre-order bonuses and on-disc DLC".

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Looks like I kicked Blaine's overcompensating mechanism into light speed.

THIS IS A HARDCORE GAME DUE TO THESE ABSURD HOUSE-RULES I HAVE MANDATED I FOLLOW! DON'T YOU FUCKING DARE IMPLY IT IS IN ANY WAY CASUAL!

GotY so far though. Ball is in TToN's court.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Man, the spring and summer plantings of year 2, when you have the money and resources to really get serious, are hectic as shit. At least, they have been for me. I just finished animal tending, clearing, hoeing, fertilizing, planting, and watering for summer day 1, and my arms are shaking from some sort of nervous exhaustion because getting everything done on day 1 of the season (important because many plant types will yield an extra harvest by season's end if planted immediately) is intense. It was get up at 6 a.m. and go all-out until 1 a.m. the next day or slightly later, twenty minutes of pure insanity, desperately speed-clicking the ground to get fertilizer and seeds in before 2 a.m.

It's also a fairly stiff logistical challenge.

I'm planting at least some of every available crop this year to have a nice stock that I wasn't able to get or keep the first year, and by now I have three Iridium Sprinklers and 24 Quality Sprinklers (264 grid squares total, one plant apiece), so that's a shitload of work to do. You also have to carefully plan and setup your layout (before day 1 of the season) for organization purposes, because trellises can't be passed through, and also to ensure scarecrow coverage. You have to do some math for each seed type so that you can purchase a stockpile that'll last the whole season; it's not feasible to run all the way to the store every time something needs replanting.

A different kind of challenging but quite challenging indeed. Stuffing a lot of organization and work into a hard deadline is pretty satisfying stuff if you manage to pull it off. I barely made in spring day 1, but had about an hour left before 2 a.m. on summer day 1 despite having more to do.

Current setup, not too pretty yet:

88b871eecf.png

Last edited:

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Those two beehives fell into that pond when I tried to move them, by the way.

And they said this game wasn't hardcore!

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Partly aesthetics, partly convenience (walking through crops slows you), partly to have easily-reckoned nexuses for scarecrows (though they get in the way, too), but mainly to keep each plot neatly organized. I can visualize where I want each crop to go before planting and remember where everything is without having to look at the farm.

It's a mnemonic device, pretty much. Think of it a bit like breaking a phone number into segments: 13678764534 vs. 1-376-876-4534.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Paths also prevent wild grass and random stone/wood blocks from spawning.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Paths also prevent wild grass and random stone/wood blocks from spawning.

Yeah, but they don't prevent it from encroaching (grass can destroy your paths), so as far as that goes there's little difference between paths within the field and a compact field.

Speaking of which, I need to finish paving everything.

Also speaking of grass, cows and goats eat so much that having a fenced-in area for them to crop grass (and prevent them from wandering/the grass from spreading) is like pissing into the wind. Unless your fenced-in area is enormous, which defeats the whole point, they will eat every last blade—if not today or tomorrow, then surely the day after.

Furthermore, if there isn't grass right outside of the coop or barn (I have grass growing wild on the far end of my farm, for example), the lazy shits will walk right back inside and eat hay instead. So basically, just feed your animals hay and forget about trying to manage actual grass for them.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Animals are rubbish anyway, just get what you need for the bundles and then sell them off and use the buildings for more kegs.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Animals are rubbish anyway, just get what you need for the bundles and then sell them off and use the buildings for more kegs.

Yeah, but I'm playing almost entirely blind. Now that I'm playing through my second year, I do reference the Wiki for convenience to see what resources buildings require or as a crops list/growth period cheat sheet (not like that's some huge spoiler, just saves me making a simple Excel doc). Proof: I wouldn't have this .txt if I were using the Wiki.

3b29d5f333.png

My point is that I want to stockpile at least a small quantity of each animal product and artisan derivative thereof for cooking dishes I haven't discovered yet.

Bahamut

Arcane
Man, the spring and summer plantings of year 2, when you have the money and resources to really get serious, are hectic as shit. At least, they have been for me. I just finished animal tending, clearing, hoeing, fertilizing, planting, and watering for summer day 1, and my arms are shaking from some sort of nervous exhaustion because getting everything done on day 1 of the season (important because many plant types will yield an extra harvest by season's end if planted immediately) is intense. It was get up at 6 a.m. and go all-out until 1 a.m. the next day or slightly later, twenty minutes of pure insanity, desperately speed-clicking the ground to get fertilizer and seeds in before 2 a.m.

It's also a fairly stiff logistical challenge.

I'm planting at least some of every available crop this year to have a nice stock that I wasn't able to get or keep the first year, and by now I have three Iridium Sprinklers and 24 Quality Sprinklers (264 grid squares total, one plant apiece), so that's a shitload of work to do. You also have to carefully plan and setup your layout (before day 1 of the season) for organization purposes, because trellises can't be passed through, and also to ensure scarecrow coverage. You have to do some math for each seed type so that you can purchase a stockpile that'll last the whole season; it's not feasible to run all the way to the store every time something needs replanting.

A different kind of challenging but quite challenging indeed. Stuffing a lot of organization and work into a hard deadline is pretty satisfying stuff if you manage to pull it off. I barely made in spring day 1, but had about an hour left before 2 a.m. on summer day 1 despite having more to do.

Sounds like legit Harvest Moon experience. I remember when i planned the shit out income, order of buying things, when to upgrade stuff to not break the daily schedule.

My most common scenario in HM: fall, 16x9 sweet potato plots, work all day and next swim in gold on winter and upgrade stuff

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
My point is that I want to stockpile at least a small quantity of each animal product and artisan derivative thereof for cooking dishes I haven't discovered yet.

Yeah that's fine, though most foods aren't nearly worth the effort unless you want to be a completionist with the cheevos.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
A big tip when you've got a larger farm going: The day before the seasons change, plant the cheapest seeds in all your empty plots. It retains the tilled soil and allows the sprinklers to wet that soil. Scything away dead crops and paying some gold is far preferable to re-hoeing and re-watering everything.

I figured this out pretty quickly, but after winter ended my first year, I'd forgotten how much of the tilled soil disappears when the season changes, so I didn't bother. It's a lot, almost all of it.

SirSingAlot

Arbiter
hay and grass management really gets on my nerves.

i am in spring year 2 and cleared much of my farmland from stone and stupid trees, planting new grass patches in the process all over.
the freaking grass just wont grow.
how am i supposed to feed my animals? (thank god i dont have too many atm)

also i just got a lvl 8 glacier sword and a diamond in a treasure chest while fishing. woot

Last edited:

GrainWetski

Arcane
Just buy hay from Marnie while waiting for it to grow?

A big tip when you've got a larger farm going: The day before the seasons change, plant the cheapest seeds in all your empty plots. It retains the tilled soil and allows the sprinklers to wet that soil. Scything away dead crops and paying some gold is far preferable to re-hoeing and re-watering everything.

I figured this out pretty quickly, but after winter ended my first year, I'd forgotten how much of the tilled soil disappears when the season changes, so I didn't bother. It's a lot, almost all of it.

It's not that big of a deal with a gold or iridium hoe.

Last edited:

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
I don't care if your hoe and watering can are constructed entirely from winning Powerball tickets. It's still a whole lot faster to spam-click cheap seeds and then spend fewer than thirty seconds seconds scything all of your fields on day one.

I did have to scrimp on the gold tools (except for the pickaxe) due to building tons of kegs, expensive buildings, animals, trees, and upgrades, and lots of seeds, which sucked away all of my cash and gold bars. However, I'm past the tipping point halfway through fall and have shitloads of money pouring in and plenty of gold bars stocked up. I've used all of my iridium for sprinklers, though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom