Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Stardew Valley: Indie Harvest Moon on PC

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Stardew Valley is an open-ended country-life RPG!

ss_9ac899fe2cda15d48b0549bba77ef8c4a090a71c.jpg
ss_b887651a93b0525739049eb4194f633de2df75be.jpg

ss_30aeedc47e731232ade368831a598d6545346f70.jpg

You've inherited your grandfather's old farm plot in Stardew Valley. Armed with hand-me-down tools and a few coins, you set out to begin your new life. Can you learn to live off the land and turn these overgrown fields into a thriving home? It won't be easy. Ever since Joja Corporation came to town, the old ways of life have all but disappeared. The community center, once the town's most vibrant hub of activity, now lies in shambles. But the valley seems full of opportunity. With a little dedication, you might just be the one to restore Stardew Valley to greatness!

Features
  • Turn your overgrown field into a lively farm! Raise animals, grow crops, start an orchard, craft useful machines, and more! You'll have plenty of space to create the farm of your dreams.

• Improve your skills over time. As you make your way from a struggling greenhorn to a master farmer, you'll level up in 5 different areas: farming, mining, combat, fishing, and foraging. As you progress, you'll learn new cooking and crafting recipes, unlock new areas to explore, and customize your skills by choosing from a variety of professions.

• Become part of the local community. With over 30 unique characters living in Stardew Valley, you won't have a problem finding new friends! Each person has their own daily schedule, birthday, unique mini-cutscenes, and new things to say throughout the week and year. As you make friends with them, they will open up to you, ask you for help with their personal troubles, or tell you their secrets! Take part in seasonal festivals such as the luau, haunted maze, and feast of the winter star.

• Explore a vast, mysterious cave. As you travel deeper underground, you'll encounter new and dangerous monsters, powerful weapons, new environments, valuable gemstones, raw materials for crafting and upgrading tools, and mysteries to be uncovered.

• Breathe new life into the valley. Since JojaMart opened, the old way of life in Stardew Valley has changed. Much of the town's infrastructure has fallen into disrepair. Help restore Stardew Valley to it's former glory by repairing the old community center, or take the alternate route and join forces with Joja Corporation.

• Court and marry a partner to share your life on the farm with. There are 10 available bachelors and bachelorettes to woo, each with unique character progression cutscenes. Once married, your partner will live on the farm with you. Who knows, maybe you'll have kids and start a family?

• Spend a relaxing afternoon at one of the local fishing spots.The waters are teeming with seasonal varieties of delicious fish. Craft bait, bobbers, and crab pots to help you in your journey toward catching every fish and becoming a local legend!

• Donate artifacts and minerals to the local museum.

• Cook delicious meals and craft useful items to help you out.With over 100 cooking and crafting recipes, you'll have a wide variety of items to create. Some dishes you cook will even give you temporary boosts to skills, running speed, or combat prowess. Craft useful objects like scarecrows, oil makers, furnaces, or even the rare and expensive crystalarium.

• Customize the appearance of your character and house.With hundreds of decorative items to choose from, you'll have no trouble creating the home of your dreams!

• Xbox controller support (with rumble)! (Keyboard still required for text input)

• Over two hours of original music.
---

Well, after the Balrum thread I noticed there really was no topic about it. Might as well make one, since I'm somewhat interested in it myself. . As far as I can tell it's Harvest Moon with a dash of Rune Factory with possible multiplayer in the future (?). I dunno, might be worth a shot on sale. It can't be too hard to rip-off this formula, right?

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
Court and marry a partner to share your life on the farm with. There are 10 available bachelors and bachelorettes to woo, each with unique character progression cutscenes. Once married, your partner will live on the farm with you. Who knows, maybe you'll have kids and start a family?
Animated romances confirmed?

DDZ, I've found your favorite game.

Siveon

Bot
Is there a main quest or storyline to follow? Or is it more of a small town simulation game?
From the description, I can only guess... both? The way Harvest Moon & Rune Factory handle it is that you essentially have events whilst doing your small time stuff, like farming and shit, NPC business, maybe a festival, etc. And sometimes you trigger something that affects the overall "plot" if there is one. The main plot is usually inconsequential from what you're usually doing, but it varies per title. EDIT: I'm willing to be this would be one of those titles that have little to no main plot.

Just noticed this game doesn't have monster training. The hell, man? Srs :decline:

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
I'VE always been kinda interested in trying one of those harvest moon games. are they legit worth playing? i know they have a pretty solid rep tho.

Siveon

Bot
I'VE always been kinda interested in trying one of those harvest moon games. are they legit worth playing? i know they have a pretty solid rep tho.
I would hesitantly say yes. Only gonna speak for Rune Factory (spin-off) really, but it's a pretty lax series where you mostly go around doing farm stuff or occasionally other mundane stuff in a rural or sometimes fantasy, environment. By every stretch of the word, it's casual, but it never pretends to be anything more than that. I would say it's therapeutic, were it not for the fact that Rune Factory has Action RPG elements thrown in so while I'm trying to farm sometimes I get my shit rocked in by a monster and I lose half my cash. They're good in-between games, that has a lot of stuff going on.

Give it a try on one of those DS emulators. If you waste your time, just know that I was the culprit.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
about harvesting fucking moon rocks you git

jesus christ kids today

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
@Siveo

ooh i see you can buy your woman! i'm sold. btw, wiz gaiden throbbing veins of the heart's cock is playable already with the patch currently online @ romhackingnet buuuuuuut it crashes randomly and it's preventin being able to actually play it for real. i already recorded a few videos and sent them to richard demonstrating the reproducible insta-crash. other than that it plays great; it plays like a SLIGHTLY more modern feeling wizardry game set right after the wiz 1-2-3 remake cartridge on the SNES (you know, the one with the drool-worthy sprite art and awesome snes OST's).

anyway i watched this ideo of stardew valley high and it looks like the equivalent of hug machines. i already want it

i really do need to start making goals :salute:

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I loved Harvest Moons and wasted hundreds of hours on them, so I'll give SV benefit of a doubt and buy it. Hopefully it's as good as good old Harvest Moons!

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
This actually looks more interesting than a lot of the actual harvest moon sequels based on that video. Decent artwork, lots of mechanical details and options for how to progress. Might give this a shot at some point in the future.

Siveon

Bot
Hopefully it's as good as good old Harvest Moons!
Tell me which ones are good, Konjad Sir.

i already recorded a few videos and sent them to richard demonstrating the reproducible insta-crash.
PMs, m8. You do know you're like the best thing a translator can want right? Beta testing can be a bitch for some.

This actually looks more interesting than a lot of the actual harvest moon sequels based on that video.

I believe so, too.

Perkel

Arcane
I've never played harvest moon or rune factory... Is there a main quest or storyline to follow? Or is it more of a small town simulation game?

You have a farm and you farm stuff occasionally taking part is some events (like festivals etc) but there isn't any "story".

Though Friends of Mineral Town plays like best cocaine ever you had.

Playing it right now, controls are rather wonky, tried both keyboard plus mouse, and XBAWX controller. For some reason both sometimes fail to interact with objects and NPCs. Otherwise, it's surprisingly fun, there are quite a few interesting additional mechanics, you have a huge field, also there is fighting skill, it's kinda wonky too though. Still it's more Harvest Moon than Rune Factory (pity, I liked RF more than most HMs, save the first SNES one). NPCs are, well, not bad, but not memorable either. You have adequate time for farming, so it's not like in Story of Seasons for 3DS where you being forced to run like crazy and still manage to fail to fertilize and tend to all those rented fields. Graphics are hipstery-retro, but they aren't annoying, and you can clearly see what's going on on the screen. Game's engine seems not to be RPG Maker, which is a blessing. Music is nice.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
This is better than any of those HM shits ever were. And with some modding support, it has the potential to be legendary - already people are doing tweaks despite no tools or anything like that available.

mutonizer

Arcane
Patron
Well, I tried but I just do not understand the interest of this game. Think I'm too old for this shit...

Tick Tock Crocodile

Friends of Mineral Town plays like best cocaine ever you had.

Truer words have never been spoken.

I still need to play a few of the earlier games, but I loved FoMT, HM64 and HMDS (though that last one is likely nostalgia goggles). The newer ones, however, never really grew on me. I thought that they had started to base each new game too strongly on one single gimmick (islands, a bazaar, TWO TOWNS!!11) layered over the usual formula and let the some of the more interesting parts (like random events, or events based on timers) get weaker. You wouldn't really see events on the level of Karen choosing to leave town in HM64, etc. . .

I'll definitely give this a go. A HM-esque thing that can be tweaked a bit could be great.

Perkel

Arcane
Friends of Mineral Town plays like best cocaine ever you had.

Truer words have never been spoken.

I still need to play a few of the earlier games, but I loved FoMT, HM64 and HMDS (though that last one is likely nostalgia goggles). The newer ones, however, never really grew on me. I thought that they had started to base each new game too strongly on one single gimmick (islands, a bazaar, TWO TOWNS!!11) layered over the usual formula and let the some of the more interesting parts (like random events, or events based on timers) get weaker. You wouldn't really see events on the level of Karen choosing to leave town in HM64, etc. . .

I'll definitely give this a go. A HM-esque thing that can be tweaked a bit could be great.

Tried all the newer ones and they didn't grab me like FOMT did. They simply fail at basic gameplay and they are far less robust in therms of content. Magical melody was weird but actually fun for few hours but it was so fucking slow in everything (which is like running gag in HM series) that i simply switched on FOMT again.

Tick Tock Crocodile

Completely agree. I somehow managed to slog through the main quest of Animal Parade and only afterwards learned that it was slower and laggier than its sort-of base version, Tree of Tranquility, and that I could've saved time and money by getting ToT instead. I retreated to FoMT for quite a while after that.

Alex

Arcane
Looks nice, but combat isn't a really good mix with Harvest Moon's formula. Also, I think the game would benefit from using actual festivals, instead of made up stuff.

Last edited:

Mozg

Arcane

I suggest asking people that know them which one is the best of the best, 'cuz I don't think most people will be able to get through more than one.

Perkel

Arcane

I suggest asking people that know them which one is the best of the best, 'cuz I don't think most people will be able to get through more than one.

Easily Friends of Mineral Town for GBA (emulator should run on crap pc no prob)

Machocruz

Arcane
Been playing this the last couple of days. I always feel like I'm not doing it right, but that's probably because I watched other people play who already had experience with the game and its progression. Just entered fall season and I have little to show for it. A scarecrow, a furnace, 15 floors into the mine, small farm plot, a few NPCs with one or two hearts, one community center bundle completed. I don't think I was 'aggressive' enough with exploration. The days feel way too short. Still, the game is hard to quit. Just...one...more...day.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom