Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

StarCraft II: Legacy of the Void

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I dunno, I'm not much of an RTS player so I found SC2 to be more or less what I expected. Flashy, not too challenging since it was aimed at the mainstream and is a modern Blizzard release and with a retarded story.

The Overmind and the zerg hero saviours of the universe didn't faze me in the slightest. I mean, look at Orc Jesus Thrall in World of Warcraft and the poor oppressed Horde, just trying to find some freedom.

The Orc retcon was at least done half decently and was an attempt to add depth to what was a cartoonishly evil race. Never played WoW though, only W3.

mediocrepoet

Patron
The Orc retcon was at least done half decently and was an attempt to add depth to what was a cartoonishly evil race. Never played WoW though, only W3.

I'd say only sort of. Yes they did that and it wasn't too bad at first. Until they focused on Thrall for a few expansions, culminating in his actually becoming the savior of the entire world in Cataclysm.

Whenever Blizzard focuses on a specific character rather than the overall universe it usually goes to shit. Coincidentally all of Blizzard's recent games do so.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

I'd say only sort of. Yes they did that and it wasn't too bad at first. Until they focused on Thrall for a few expansions, culminating in his actually becoming the savior of the entire world in Cataclysm.
Now wait a minute. Let's not talk about WoW lore and story, because it is a ridiculous rape of the Warcraft franchise. There should be only one accepted storyline of Warcraft, and that is Warcraft 3+expansion.

mediocrepoet

Patron

Now wait a minute. Let's not talk about WoW lore and story, because it is a ridiculous rape of the Warcraft franchise. There should be only one accepted storyline of Warcraft, and that is Warcraft 3+expansion.

And yet, the topic is (broadly) Blizzard's modern games raping their older games. It's sort of their deal as a company which is too bad because they had some really interesting worlds/settings like original Diablo, SC1, WC1-3 (well maybe not WC1).

Archibald

Arcane
Whenever Blizzard focuses on a specific character rather than the overall universe it usually goes to shit. Coincidentally all of Blizzard's recent games do so.

I think its common problem among game developers. It seams that once they start focusing on characters and making story "more important" shit gets out of control pretty fast.

zerotol

Arcane
Patron
Why are we discussing the fucking single player story which everybody and their mother knows is utter shit, while Lyric Suite disses the multiplayer portion of the game which is pretty good.

Fucking storyfags man. :decline:

Dr Skeleton

Arcane
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Until they fix units clumping up into giant balls in I can't take this game seriously in MP. It's fun for a while, but gets repetitive very quickly and just has too many annoying little things.

Multiplayer changes/new units do look good, but they'll be revised 10 times before the release, so I wouldn't get my hopes up just yet, there's a lot of time for them to fuck up.

desocupado

Magister
Until they fix units clumping up into giant balls in I can't take this game seriously in MP. It's fun for a while, but gets repetitive very quickly and just has too many annoying little things.

Multiplayer changes/new units do look good, but they'll be revised 10 times before the release, so I wouldn't get my hopes up just yet, there's a lot of time for them to fuck up.

What new units? Link?

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Because I rather use my SSD space for something else.
I think that SSD is your problem. When you'd have proper 2TB drive with extended reliability, few TB/mo more or less isn't a problem.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Multiplayer can only get marginally better so long as certain core design decisions from WoL remain unchanged. Funnily enough, they seem to have finally realized their economic model is shit, but their proposed cure is worse than the disease.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Here's something for the story people:

Wouldn't it make more sense for Kerrigan to keep Arcturus alive so he can send his fascist military government after the Xel'naga, instead of of wiping them all out and placing more of a burden on herself? It just goes to show you how retarded the writers are that work at Blizzard.

She didn't wipe them out.

What new units? Link?
http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/blog/16654945

Unwanted
Douchebag! Shitposter
EG15nIj.jpg

I would play this for the campaign. It's essentially fantasy at that point so that will bring back Warcraft 3 teen memories.

hivemind

If they want a micro focused intensive gameplay they should limit the amount of units that can be in a given unit group in a given time.
Death-balls were the thing I always found most boring when I played wings of liberty. Still the game is a great amount of fun. I might pick it up a few months after the new expansion comes up and tryhard a bit.

Dr Skeleton

Arcane
If they want a micro focused intensive gameplay they should limit the amount of units that can be in a given unit group in a given time.
It's not just that, compared to BW units in SC2 have much less value because of how efficient workers are, so the game is more about deathballs and less about micro and positioning.
I'll probably play the beta for a week or two when it goes open, but I doubt they'll fix the biggest flaws it's had since WoL.

There's also the morbid curiosity about the campaign :popamole:

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Wow, they really want to turn this into a game where only twitchy fingers and hotkey memorization matters.
All tactics, no strategy. All micro, no macro. Meh, not my type of game any more.

A matter of taste, obviously, but what I don't get: Why do they even bother with base building? It is counterproductive to the style of gameplay they obviously want to achieve.

Last edited:

DakaSha

Arcane
itt: people who cant play the game or even understand the most basic shit bitch and moan

:greatjob:

J1M

Arcane
Would prefer to see units removed instead of added, but it is nice to see that they are finally putting archon mode back in the game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom