Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

StarCraft II: Legacy of the Void

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
After the revelation that the Overmind has been a good guy all along nothing can faze me.

What?
SC2 retconned the Zerg into being held under the influence of Amon, the Dark Xel'naga. The Overmind sought to fight it by creating Kerrigan and then committing suicide by Tassadar, because it had read the script and knew Raynor would forget the events of BW and dezergify her instead of putting a bullet through her head for Fenix. This would allow her to be reborn as Pure Zerg(TM) and lead the purified Swarm against Amon.

Overmind
AAAAAH
Saviour of the Universe.

I had to actually Google this shit to make sure I did not just misremember some crazy fan theory. But nope, all Blizzard official

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
After the revelation that the Overmind has been a good guy all along nothing can faze me.

What?
SC2 retconned the Zerg into being held under the influence of Amon, the Dark Xel'naga. The Overmind sought to fight it by creating Kerrigan and then committing suicide by Tassadar, because it had read the script and knew Raynor would forget the events of BW and dezergify her instead of putting a bullet through her head for Fenix. This would allow her to be reborn as Pure Zerg(TM) and lead the purified Swarm against Amon.

Overmind
AAAAAH
Saviour of the Universe.

I had to actually Google this shit to make sure I did not just misremember some crazy fan theory. But nope, all Blizzard official

Fucking WHAT? Nope, nope, nope, nope.
Chris-morris-jumps-out-window-o.gif

I was playing with the thought of buying the whole SC2 collection, but I'm not playing a game which basicly rapes SC1.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron

What?

I was playing with the thought of buying the whole SC2 collection, but I'm not playing a game which basicly rapes SC1.

Ah,I see some codexers are only now discovering the joys of SC2 story retcons,let the :butthurt: flow

can't wait for them to find out about the kamehameha duel in HotS

Last edited:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

What?

Ah,I see some codexers are only now discovering the joys of SC2 story retcons,let the :butthurt: flow

I haven't touched SC2 yet at all, I always tought that I will buy the whole package later at a discount. But to the hell with it. I'd rather play SC+brood war again.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Well, it's not like StarCraft had a great story to begin with. Decent, serviceable, but ancillary in the end. It is mostly Blizzard and its fanboys who take it too seriously. That said, it still worked while this new development seems to be extremely ridiculous. I don't think Bioware's soap operas reach that level.

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
I have to give the credit where credit is due - each mission in WoL and HotS was excellent, unique bit of entertainment - a real fun arcade, strategy puzzle. Hell, I am hard pressed to admit that the story for those singled out missions was full of suspense and made sense in an 80s action movie kind of way. So I hope that Legacy of the Void will continue the tradition.

can't say about HotS, but in WoL that's a load of bullshit. almost every fucking mission consisted of "see that new unit you just unlocked? build a blob of it and win". it was fucking retarded and way too obvious

Not if you play on Brutal.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I have to give the credit where credit is due - each mission in WoL and HotS was excellent, unique bit of entertainment - a real fun arcade, strategy puzzle. Hell, I am hard pressed to admit that the story for those singled out missions was full of suspense and made sense in an 80s action movie kind of way. So I hope that Legacy of the Void will continue the tradition.

can't say about HotS, but in WoL that's a load of bullshit. almost every fucking mission consisted of "see that new unit you just unlocked? build a blob of it and win". it was fucking retarded and way too obvious

Yes, on brutal you always spam marines+medics every mission instead :)

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity

Yes, on brutal you always spam marines+medics every mission instead :)

True enough. :P It's not entirely feasible on some time-based maps. But definitely doable. Still, this is the campaign we are talking about.

Dr Skeleton

Arcane
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Eh, aside from the "overmind was a good guy!" and Tychus' arc not making sense, WoL wasn't that bad. Maybe I purged the worst parts from my memory, but it was pretty fun if you didn't think too much about it.
Now HotS, THAT was horrible from start to finish. We de-infested Kerrigan so she can be infested again, but she is good now, except when she kills everyone she doesn't like. Stukov is back and helping us because reasons (?), ancient zerg planet and all these animatronic zerg characters (??), we've just established this great threat of Xelnaga, but we'll lose time and resources fighting Terrans again because Mengsk is a bad guy (???), zerg are free at last (????). They even ripped off a Diablo 3 boss battle in one missions for fucks sake.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Well, it's not like StarCraft had a great story to begin with. Decent, serviceable, but ancillary in the end. It is mostly Blizzard and its fanboys who take it too seriously. That said, it still worked while this new development seems to be extremely ridiculous. I don't think Bioware's soap operas reach that level.
Sure, but reading the info about SC2, the latter is on a new level of retardness. Kerrigen turned into human? What the fuck? Then turning her back into zerg? I mean...How is it possible to write something like this? And turning the terran campaign into hollywood blockbuster epic fuck yeah storyline was just bad, and I only saw some videos about it. SC1 was dark, full of desperation. And SC2? Yeah, lets kick this revolution running! It's about time! I'm badass Jim Raynor! How cliched you can be?

Angthoron

Arcane
No, WoL was pretty horrible as well. Mengsk being retconned into a retarded redneck was already a great "fuck you" to the first games, but then there was the Tychus subplot, the overmind bullshit, the "space magic" shit getting more prominent, and the subplot about cure for infested terrans. And I'm skipping out on the rest of the stuff here.

I dunno, SC1 and BW were certainly not super-amazing great stories, but they were solid, the characters had solid motivations and arcs, and there was, like, a point to it all. WoL made me so disgusted that I didn't even consider getting HotS. Story-wise, it's completely bankrupt on the creativity department.

Anyway, let's summon someone that can really talk about SC story: Storyfag

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
I want more motherfucking United Earth Directorate! More Arcturus Mengsk! But nope, they had to replace Mengsk with an Arthas clone and fuck every interesting aspect of the lore in the bum just so they could shoe-horn in a silly plot more befitting of a Warcraft game into a previously excellent series. Why? Probably so they can make an mmo out of it at one point or another.

Fuck off, Blizzard. Fuck off.

Pretty much this. I have little to add.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
They're out of the MMO biz (aside from WoW) so I'm sure it wasn't because of that. Anyway, I wouldn't expect anything new in Starcraft (after this 'expansion') for another five or ten years.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
I dunno, SC1 and BW were certainly not super-amazing great stories, but they were solid, the characters had solid motivations and arcs, and there was, like, a point to it all.

Barely but yes, in the end it made sense. Yet it was mainly plot-driven and not character-driven. It got a bit better with Brood War, but then it got bogged down a bit more in melodrama—but hey! melodrama can be fun! My main gripe were always the Protoss that were treated so seriously yet were amongst the blandest of the bunch, aside from maybe Zeratul.

Out of curiosity, there was always a bit of a discrepancy with the cinematics that showed the Terrans as mainly arrogant rednecks, yet it also provided some humour in a grim story. They did away with that in Brood War, and I am curious if StarCraft 2 is also too serious or if it also has bits of humour here and there.

Anyway, having the Overmind be something else than what was already shown could work depending on how it is done, but since Blizzard's stories have never been good and they have gotten distinctly worse with time, I can imagine it is as awful as you guys say.

Sadly this makes SC1 storyline one of the better ones as far as video games go.

I could think of better video games stories before I am left to add StarCraft on the list. The average level isn't terribly high, but some manage to rise above.

Or "suddenly Stukov"

I've wondered whether Blizzard mixed up Stukov and Duran at some point in the writing and then just ran with it. Did anyone else do a double take when he revealed himself as Stukov? There's absolutely no reason for Stukov to appear since he was most assuredly dead and was not a psychic character in the first place in BW.

I think Gerard Du Galle's suicide at the end of Brood War sums up my feelings about all of this, and where it is going... Fuck, I miss the UED.

No women in the UED, can't write a love story brah. This isn't Bioware.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik

What?

Overmind
AAAAAH
Saviour of the Universe.

What you didn't play SC2-I and SC2-II yet? Blizzard basically gave expansion for free, when they hacked the original installation and set the flag as expansion enabled. (Blizzard patched it, but as long as you backed up files and prevented connection on internet, you could finish the game.)

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Because I rather use my SSD space for something else.

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
One of the absolute moronic things about the SC2 story is how Raynor slaughters this Protoss faction in WoL called the Tal'darim for these xel'naga artifact pieces for a scientist called Narud and then in HoTS we learn that the tal'darim are working for him. What.... the.... Fuck?!

Then there's Blizzard channeling Bioware by making WoL Mass Effect 2 levels of pointless by having Kerrigan become infested again after we spent a good chunk of time in the previous game trying to dezergify her.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom