Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So, Baldurs Gate

Silva

Arcane
I hate Baldurs Gate with a passion.

I hate it because I heard the hype of how it was the best RPG ever and I lusted for it for so long, thinking it would bring back my Phantasy Stars and Ys and Ultimas and Wastelands and Might and Magics and Arkanias and Shadowrun experiences of youth. But the only thing it brought was mellow linear stories, boring unrealistic combat and effeminated soap-opera romances in a childish goodie-goodie vs MWA-HA-HA baddiy world.

But is it possible that, after all these years, I could see some quality to it ? Perhaps now, clear of any huge expectations, I could appreciate the game better, for what it is ?

So, what do the hivemind think ? Is it worth trying again, specially with the "enhanced editions" on steam ? Also, would it be cool to play the first game before trying the second ?

Thanks, bros.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
If you like walking on the forest. A lot of them...
Survive it and game started.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
my Phantasy Stars and Ys and Ultimas and Wastelands and Might and Magics and Arkanias and Shadowrun experiences

What's missing from this list - Gold Box. The first Baldur's Gate game in particular was aiming to a great extent to replicate the Gold Box experience.

Silva

Arcane
Considering that Phatnasy Star came out in 1987 and Baldurs Gate 2 came in 1998.. yeah, Phantasy Star is better than Baldurs Gate 2, because with all the new resources Bioware had at hand, it opted to make a game as linear and devoid od C&C as a game of 1987.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
So by your great logic Akalabeth is the best game ever, since in fucking 1979 it already was a complete RPG. And Phantasy Star sucks, because it came out in 1987, but is as linear as a 1979 game.

Silva

Arcane
my Phantasy Stars and Ys and Ultimas and Wastelands and Might and Magics and Arkanias and Shadowrun experiences

What's missing from this list - Gold Box. The first Baldur's Gate game in particular was aiming to a great extent to replicate the Gold Box experience.
So Baldurs Gate is the sucessor of a legacy I didnt know back then ? Interesting.

What are the best games from this "gold box" series ?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

So Baldurs Gate is the sucessor of a legacy I didnt know back then ? Interesting.

What are the best games from this "gold box" series ?

I haven't played them myself, but the first one, Pool of Radiance, is widely considered to be the best, although its engine is the most primitive: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pool_of_Radiance

More here: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...rpg-retrospectives-by-reggie-carolipio.86860/

DraQ

Arcane
I hate Baldurs Gate with a passion.

I hate it because I heard the hype of how it was the best RPG ever and I lusted for it for so long, thinking it would bring back my Phantasy Stars and Ys and Ultimas and Wastelands and Might and Magics and Arkanias and Shadowrun experiences of youth. But the only thing it brought was mellow linear stories, boring unrealistic combat and effeminated soap-opera romances in a childish goodie-goodie vs MWA-HA-HA baddiy world.
Yes.
But is it possible that, after all these years, I could see some quality to it ?
Intraparty interactions.
Other than that you'll be better off reading item descriptions and oogling pwetty area maps online than playing the game.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Considering that Phatnasy Star came out in 1987 and Baldurs Gate 2 came in 1998.. yeah, Phantasy Star is better than Baldurs Gate 2, because with all the new resources Bioware had at hand, it opted to make a game as linear and devoid od C&C as a game of 1987.
what a stupid post.

you realize BG2 was never intended to be a fallouty choose-your-own-adventure game?

it was intended to be a story-driven game colored by party characters and prominent choices. because, yes, there are choices, and consequences. just to name some on the top of my head: how to open the sphere, whether or not to save viconia, what to do with cernd, which faction to side with for spellhold, which NPCs to side with in inter-party conflicts.
consequences range from content lock, to NPCs dying, and losing out on certain rewards.

it's obviously not fallout, but then again they didn't want to make that.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
The thing I liked about both BG1 and BG2 is the ability to explore the worlds and do the subquests in what order you want. I actually preferred the BG1 because it allowed the player to explore the entire map, rather than have new hotspots added to the map.

If you're going to play BG1, I would suggest you use the EasyTutu mod that upgrades the game to use the BG2 engine (you'll need to install BG2 for that, though). You can buy both from GOG.com for $10 each, or wait until the Christmas sale, when they will probably have a 50% discount.

Also, BG1 did not even have originally have the romance quests (though I'm sure the EE put them in), they started with BG2, there's only three and they're completely optional.

At the end of the day, the main reason to play is to play AD&D games with nice-looking graphics and more depth than Diablo. And to kill Drizzt.

V_K

Arcane
But is it possible that, after all these years, I could see some quality to it ? Perhaps now, clear of any huge expectations, I could appreciate the game better, for what it is ?
Well, I tried that and actually hated it even more ;).
But I generally don't have much love for both ADnD and RTwP, so it wasn't exactly surprising.

Tigranes

Arcane
Don't play the Enhanced Edition, it's not enhanced in any way, except for an enhanced price.

Buy from GOG, install Widescreen mod and go ahead. As with any complex game, give it a few hours of your generosity to really see if it works. If it doesn't, it doesn't. Simple.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I happen to think that Phantasy Star II is the finest example of JRPG this side of the non Enix Final Fantasy games...but knowing your tastes a bit Silva from the Stalker thread I personaly don't think you would enjoy the Baldur Gate games.
I would still suggest you try it (with some mods) and see how you like it but I definetly think you would love the Gold Box games, they are some of the best games of it's kind

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
You should never force yourself to play a game you have already tried and disliked. There are so many games available out there that You're better off trying something else rather than looking for entertainement where You have previously found none.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Why not? I disliked Demon Souls the first time I played it but after picking it up again it became of of my favorite games of all time; sometimes you might not be in the right mind for a particular style of game.
I play the Souls games when I want to try a different build or some pain, the bethesda games for some mindless sandbox fun, Ocarina for trying out a new cel shaded graphic mod etc...it all depends what kind of game you got an itch for

Unwanted

Kalin

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
I liked them a lot when I was younger and those impressions stuck for a long time. Upon replaying I do find some of the writing and quest design to be a bit cringe-worthy, but I still appreciate the atmosphere and scope, the vast amount of spells, items and so forth. Love the big cities, too, and always liked Baldur's Gate better than Athkatla. In addition, I am one of those who enjoyed the exploration (i.e. walking through all those woods) even though many others seem to absolutely loathe it.

One thing I did hate back then was how the transition from Baldur's Gate to Baldur's Gate 2 totally rapes you, forcing you into a dungeon with some of the worst NPCs (even if they all died) and robbing you of quality characters such as Xzar and Montaron. My entire original party was a gone in the sequel, save for some crappy cameos. Gaidered, plain and simple. On the plus side, the Underdark chapter is great fun (and childish as it is, the exploding rune game still cracks me up). Throne of Bhaal, on the other hand, is mostly insufferable, although it does at least feature multiple endings.

SwiftCrack

Arcane
The BG series is probably my favourite cRPG series due to a combination of nostalgia and general good game design which was pretty hard to learn for a kid my age (11 or 12).

Bonerbill

Augur
Well the games were overrated the time it came out. Now they are just outdated overrated games. I'll admit BG2 was at least passable for today, but BG1...just no.

Silva

Arcane
Whats the Running button in BG 1 ? The character is too slow.

Why not? I disliked Demon Souls the first time I played it but after picking it up again it became of of my favorite games of all time; sometimes you might not be in the right mind for a particular style of game.
I play the Souls games when I want to try a different build or some pain, the bethesda games for some mindless sandbox fun, Ocarina for trying out a new cel shaded graphic mod etc...it all depends what kind of game you got an itch for
Pretty much this. Almost all games I came to love were the ones I didnt like at first sight.

Rainbow Six: "What unecessary complicated bs is this ? Im out"

Alpha Centauri: "Ugh, this bs is ugly. AND complicated. Im out"

Planescape Torment: "Too bizarre and slow paced. Im out"

King of Dragon Pass: "Too strange. Im out"

Stalker: "Fucking generic shooter disguising itself as different and intelectual. Im out"

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I tried to play Phantasy Star II once and it was a garbage jrpg because you couldn't choose which enemy to attack. In BG you can, which makes it a better game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom